Kansas Wrestling

Goddard Head Coach named

Posted By: Ryan Jilka

Goddard Head Coach named - 05/15/06 02:28 PM

I would like to congratulate Brett Means on being named the new Head Coach at Goddard High School.

Brett will do a great job. I was very lucky to have him and Joey Vrana by my side. Brett did more as an assistant than many head coaches do. Because I know people are usually curious about such things, here is some background on Coach Means:

* Goddard's first state champion (3x placer)
* Two time college All-American (Labette CC & Southern Illinois)
* 2005 6A Assistant Coach of the Year

Brett has lived in the Goddard community most of his life, and he's been involved in wrestling through the kids club and high school for many years. He helped build the program in many ways. I always said that this program doesn't have a head coach, but three coaches that work to do what is best for the kids, the program, the school, and the community. Brett has and will continue to do so.

Congratulations buddy!
Ryan
Posted By: KANSAS PRIDE

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 05/15/06 04:12 PM

GREAT NEWS. We as the Goddard Kids Club would like to congratulate Brett also. We will all miss Coach Jilka, but we feel that Brett will do a great job.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 05/15/06 07:48 PM

Kansas Pride...

On your signature, were you going for Loose or Lose?
Posted By: Chase

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 05/15/06 10:08 PM

Yea Coach Means definitly deserves this job...any word on the new assistants???
Posted By: mokessler

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 05/17/06 03:26 PM

Coach Means definately deserves this job. Now everybody can stop worrying about it. Love ya buddy.
Posted By: bmeans

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 05/17/06 07:32 PM

Chase, I hope you and Morgan aren't taking a spelling test anytime soon. (DEFINITELY)

It was definitely a stressful couple of months awaiting the interview and decision process. I want to thank Coach Jilka, the wrestlers, the parents, and the community for their support.

I have enjoyed the last 5 years as Coach Jilka's assisstant and look forward to the challenge. Don't worry Coach Jilka will still be very visible and involved. We are not about to let him off that easy.
Posted By: W. Heights AD

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 05/23/06 02:03 PM

Congrats Coach Means!

Looks like you have a great chance of joining Coach Finkeldi as a first year head coach and winning a state championship! I know you guys are loaded for next year! Good luck!

I wonder how many coaches have won state in their first year?
Posted By: JayHawkster

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 06/07/06 01:25 AM

Who are the new assistants? Jared Vogel? Who Else?
Posted By: Chase

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 06/08/06 12:22 AM

Vogel's going to be an assistant??? what a catch
Posted By: bmeans

Re: Goddard Head Coach named - 06/09/06 02:00 AM

Mr. Church,

Thanks. I only strive to be as good as we can be. Following Coach Jilka is like following Wooden or Paterno.

Coach Lemon won state his first year at Goddard.

Jayhawkster:

At this time other assistants have not been discussed. Working on schedule, etc. at this time with Mr. Kelley and Coach Jilka.

Chase:

I expect to see you around!

Brett Means
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums