Kansas Wrestling

20 Weight Brackets

Posted By: WillyM

20 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 01:51 PM

Have often wondered about the "How comes" of the 14 weight brackets for HS wrestling. Some of the differientials between brackets do not make sense, especially since kids are getting bigger and stronger (nutrition, training, weight rooms). I would hope that the current brackets are based on some kind of medically accepted growth patterns---but I realyy do not think so. Someone, sometime, somewhere wrote them down and here we are.

Why not a few more brackets-with a more standard pattern. 103 to 112 is 9 pounds, or an 8.7% growth factor. 135 to 140 is only 5 pounds and a 3.7% growth factor. 160 to 171=11 pounds and 6.9%. 189 to 215 is 26 pounds and 13.8%. 215 to 285 is 70 pounds and 32% growth factor.

I would agree with keeping the 5 pound differientials from 125 through 152 because thats where the majority of kids will fall (remember the bell curve when you went to school and the teacher explained why you got that "F" grade). Back to wrestling, why not a 168 weight (5% increase), 176 bracket (5% increase), 185 bracket (5+%), 196 bracket (6% increase), 209 bracket (7%), 224 bracket (7%), 240 bracket (7%), 260 bracket (8%), 280 (8%). Would also recomend a 103 109, 115, 120 brackets in the lowest weights (vice 103, 112, 119).

My numbers result in 20 weight brackets. May be too many, may be not enough. But, makes more sense to me than the current system. Puts more kids on the mats in more weights, probably cuts down on cutting weight, and makes it easier for kids to go up or down to fit into a bracket.
Posted By: powercat1

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 03:10 PM

I do agree with the upper weights(171,189,215,285)its hard for a 195-200 lb wrestler to cut to 189 and giving away 10-14 pounds cant help either, not to mention the 230 pound guy. But....

How many of the smaller schools could actually fill a 20 man varsity roster? That's giving up quite a few points in dual formats. There is a first year wrestling program at a school in the town I'm from and I don't think even combining the Var/JV that they could fill a 20 man roster, They are a small 321A team.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 03:18 PM

To me a dual record is a coaches record and has very little to do with akids record. If a team can not fill a weight class, so what. If walkovers are a big problem, do not count them in a wrestlers win/loss record.
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 03:19 PM

There is no point in adding more upper weights when for the most part it is hard enough to get heavier wrestlers to go out for wrestling. For the most part the larger kids in schools will focus on football or will play basketball. Very hard to find big boys to fill the rosters as it is, just my opinion.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 03:32 PM

May be so, may be not. If I was a 230 pounder and knowing I would have to spot some blob 55 pounds, I probably would not go out for wrestling. Perhaps a different story if I only have to spot 10 pounds, or lose 6 pounds down to 224.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 04:15 PM

Losing 15 pounds to go down to 215 from 230 is not that hard. Heck losing 30 to go from 245 to 215 isn't that difficult. It just depends how bad the kid wants to compete at a better advantage size wise for them.
Posted By: Crossface King

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 11:11 PM

We are loaded with kids in the upper weights, it is in the 103-119 range that we have a hard time of finding kids.
Back in the 80's, when I wrestled for Socastee HS in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, the last weight class was HWT, no limit on maximum weight, and it came after 185. The weight classes were much different then. Our HWT weighed 215 and once wrestled a young man that weighed in at 340, who could barely fit his feet into wrestling shoes. Now that was a daunting task for our wrestler.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 11:19 PM

Supports my proposal for more brackets!!

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/04/09 11:22 PM

I just change the title of this post to 20 Weight Brackets
Posted By: my12floz

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 02:50 AM

some blob??? WOW!!!!
you have lots of class Mr. Contrarian
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Crossface King
We are loaded with kids in the upper weights, it is in the 103-119 range that we have a hard time of finding kids.
Back in the 80's, when I wrestled for Socastee HS in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, the last weight class was HWT, no limit on maximum weight, and it came after 185. The weight classes were much different then. Our HWT weighed 215 and once wrestled a young man that weighed in at 340, who could barely fit his feet into wrestling shoes. Now that was a daunting task for our wrestler.

Did he win?

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 04:37 AM

Thank you for the nice comment my12floz. Appreciate the compliment. And oh yes, Zlatnik (spelling) certainly was not a blob.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: RedStorm
Originally Posted By: Crossface King

Did he win?

No, if I remember right he lost 3-1. The big kid was an o-lineman for Summerville HS, a powerhouse in football and Wrestling, and actually had very good footwork and balance.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 02:32 PM

Crossface and Redstorm. This post was about could and should HS weight brackets, In Kansas, be changed. The side comments about a 215 vs a 340 pounder in Carolina was not really germain to the post. I hate to say this I sometimes wonder if some of the posters on this page suffer from ADHD.
Posted By: Scooby

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:12 PM

So might it be best to have 16 weight class with better distribution of weight

Posted By: wrestlingspectat

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:15 PM

I'm going to have to go with no on the adding of additional weight classes. Schools have enough trouble filling out rosters as it is. In fact there was a certain state championship team from last year that didn't even have a 112 pounder this year.

I'd say the 14 classes we have now are plenty. I would however not be opposed to a redistribution of weights among those 14 classes.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:16 PM

I tired to get it to 14 but couldnt- didnt have the time to figure it out
Posted By: BLT

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:20 PM

14 to 16 weight classes is a good number. Some restructuring will be needed. Maybe spread the higher weights a little. Go above 285!

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:31 PM

How many kids cant wrestle or dont wrestle because they are over 285

How many teams fill weight 215 and 285

How many teams fill 103- 112

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 03:59 PM

All good numbers. Part of the discussion centers around several posters who believe that good wrestlers are being denied varsity opportunities, largely because their team has one or more good wrestlers in the same weight bracket, and good wrestlers (who can not win the wrestle off) are limited to JV. Other poster are worried about cutting weight and the physical effects on the wrestler. Another poster stated it is not difficult for a 245 pounder to lose down to 215. Maybe, maybe not. For big guys weight is power, not necessarily strength. A 30 lb weight (12++%) will require a lot of effort and commitment to first lose the weight, and second to spend the time in the weight room to gain the strength to replace the loss of power from the weight loss. Yes, it can be done. I think Nowak from STA is an excellent example. But, takle it from a fat boy all my life, it is difficult.

So, both more and smaller brackets may have some value in attracting more kids to the wrestling program--perhaps especiall for kids over 180 pounds. Kids are bigger today than in my days, and there are more bigger kids, so give them a slot they can fit into.

Yes, it is difficult to fill a 14 wrestler roster. Almost every school goes into several matches with open slots: big schools, medium schools, and I bet bunches of small schools. Perhaps our current system/brackets are accerbating the problem.
Posted By: Stand Up King

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 04:58 PM

What ever happend to having unlimited heavy weights? As mentioned before kids are growing bigger and stronger and may not be able to lose the weight. Is that an option at all? Just a question that ive had.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 05:11 PM

If you’re too fat to put the singlet on you shouldn't step on the mat. Lose a little weight you will be healthier for doing it in the long run.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Contrarian
Crossface and Redstorm. This post was about could and should HS weight brackets, In Kansas, be changed. The side comments about a 215 vs a 340 pounder in Carolina was not really germain to the post. I hate to say this I sometimes wonder if some of the posters on this page suffer from ADHD.

My point was there will always be discrepancies in the way weight classes are created. They have evolved over the years and will continue to evolve as our athletes grow bigger and stronger. We do not need more weight classes in Kansas. Either win the wrestle off or switch schools that has an opening at your weight.
My teammate did not focus on the weight he always seemed to give up, but on winning. To be great at any sport, sacrifices must be made by the athletes.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/05/09 11:49 PM

Jonthan:

We are talking high school here not the NFL. Is switching high schools that easy in Goodland, Kansas?

Most of the heavier kids that they are talking about are not going to switch high schools. They would choose not to wrestle instead. The intent is to keep them wrestling by creating more opportunity for them.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 02:06 AM

If you want more openings for wrestlers then just go to the Montana system that gives teams more roster spots as previously talked about in another thread. Adding more weights will just water down the quality of wrestling.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 02:37 AM

Hoe so on either one.. In Kansas, the Montan system brings in JV kids to wrestle in varsity matches and tournaments. That probably waters the field. Perhaps the same thing happeens with more brackets--but more brackets possibly brings more quality wrestlers to the smaller weight differiential bracket. What is sacred about the eighteen lbs between 171 and 189, or 26 pounds between 189 and 215, or 70 pounds between 215 and 285. I probably do not need to say this but few of those big big heavy weights really wrestle. They are more sumo than folk style. They push, and shove, and hand fight and may try an arm and head--then most times the defensive wrestler slips his head out, the offensive falls flat out on his stomach, and the guy in the rear falls on the guys back--then they lay there rocking back and forth. Zlatnik, Disney, and Finney were a littl/a lot more aggressive. But, you do not see that often in heavy weights. So, if the big guys want to FAT" each other out, lets have some smaller brackets for wrestlers.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 02:38 AM

How so on either one.. In Kansas, the Montan system brings in JV kids to wrestle in varsity matches and tournaments. That probably waters the field. Perhaps the same thing happeens with more brackets--but more brackets possibly brings more quality wrestlers to the smaller weight differiential brackets. What is sacred about the eighteen lbs between 171 and 189, or 26 pounds between 189 and 215, or 70 pounds between 215 and 285. I probably do not need to say this but few of those big big heavy weights really wrestle. They are more sumo than folk style. They push, and shove, and hand fight and may try an arm and head--then most times the defensive wrestler slips his head out, the offensive falls flat out on his stomach, and the guy in the rear falls on the guys back--then they lay there rocking back and forth. Zlatnik, Disney, and Finney were a littl/a lot more aggressive. But, you do not see that often in heavy weights. So, if the big guys want to FAT" each other out, lets have some smaller brackets for wrestlers.
Posted By: Shelstin

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 02:56 AM

If a HS kid can't wrestle because he is above 285 he is too fat. Seriously. How many good athletes are above that and can't get there? .1 percent? Contrarian, Contrary to your thoughts, I DO believe that winning a dual is a team thing and not a coach thing. I don't think that you get that point. I am TIRED of hearing that wrestling is an individual sport, with individual glory, and your thoughts indicate that. Leave is as it is. And no, I am not following the status quo, I honestly feel that it is the best thing for wrestling.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 04:13 AM

Ok. So I gather that you do not agree that there is merit in more brackets to draw more wrestlers, to strengthen HS wrestling, which seems to be what a lot of posters on this page desire. I think all of us want the best for wrestling, what ever that is.
Wrestling is both an individual and a team sport. When it is match time it is kid against kid. At that point, the coach is just another spectator. If your individuals wrestlers don't do good, the team does not do good. I personnally was up set when a poster stated nothing would get done because coaches and ADs did not want changes. To hell with coaches and ADs, it is the kids' sport, and it is the sport of parents who support their kids. Coaches and ADs can be replaced, and if it is their philosphy, ie, it is their sport to control, they shoul hit the road, because they are doing nothing to advance the sport. In fact, they are detrimental to the sport--and to their kids.

Thanks for you comment.
Posted By: bigblueballs

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 04:50 AM

Sorry, but wrestling is the ultimate individual sport. When you are on the mat your teamates cannot help you. Sure they can help you prepare for that moment in practice but when it comes to crunch time, it is up to the individual. There is no left tackle to pick up the slack for a struggling guard or a center fielder to flag down a fly ball for a pitcher. When you are on your back, it is up to you and no one else can help you right then. Sorry but that defines individual sport. Wrestling is more like the olympics. There are a bunch of individual events and the team with the most gold medals is considered the best in the world because they can probably throw more people into more events, but what is remembered more? Michael Phelps for winning 8 gold medals or the USA winning the overall medal count? Boaz Beard for being a 4 time state champion or Goddard winning team state? I will go with Phelps and Beard.
Posted By: wrestlingspectat

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 05:25 AM

Every kid has the opportunity to wrestle. They just might not have an opportunity to wrestle on varsity. I'm sorry but if they aren't good enough to be on varsity there is no sense putting them out there to get beat anyway. I have know many wrestlers who were just happy to be on the team. We don't need to go around changing weight class numbers just so someone can go around and proclaim they are on varsity, thats not what the sport is about, its about participation period. If you won't go out for a team just because you can't make varsity, then you've missed the point all together.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Bobby
If you want more openings for wrestlers then just go to the Montana system that gives teams more roster spots as previously talked about in another thread. Adding more weights will just water down the quality of wrestling.

I pretty much agree with you on this, Ricky Bobby. I like the Montana system or a modified version like the NAIA system better than adding weight classes to give wrestlers more opportunities to compete at the varsity level. I like the Montana or NAIA system better because they would offer more opportunities for wrestlers potentially at all weight classes. A team may not be stacked with state placing quality wrestlers at the heavier weights like Wichita Northwest and Olathe North were this season. They could be stacked at the middle weights say 140, 145, and 152. In the NAIA system that team could send two wrestlers each in 140, 145 and 152.

However, I do also agree with the basic intent of Contrarian in this topic of improving the excessive weight differentials that we now see in our heaviest weight classes. I have been an advocate of this on this forum and the national forum for the last three years. I think Contrarian's suggestion of going to 20 weight classes is not realistic. First of all Kansas is unlikely to add one weight class like Texas has done with its 180 division unless it is done on the national level. The impetus on the national level unfortunately seems to be more towards reducing weight classes to 12 or 11 instead of adding weight classes. I think the best hope that an advocate of lower weight differentials has is that the current total of 14 weight classes remains in effect and that the weight classs are realigned slightly upward. I think you could have a final seven weight classes of 158, 167, 178, 190, 205, 225 and 275 with small adjustments to the first seven weight classes. I believe the differential between the highest weight class and the next highest should be no more than 50 pounds in high school. I agree with Contrarian that the 70 diffential between 215 and 285 is just too much for high school kids. I know many advocates for heavier wrestlers would disagree with me in lowering the max weight from the current 285 to our old 275 maximum of about four years ago. My reason is to keep the differentials down in the 12th and 13th weight class and still maintain no more than a 50 weight diffential between the 13th and 14th weight class. It is also closer with the international weight class maximum of around 264 pounds.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 02:55 PM

I put the number 20 up to initiate a discussion. In that sense it was successful. A little strong in some posts, but all are good, thought out comments.

Reference Husker Fan's last comment, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone anywhere is advocating reducing the number of HS weight brackets. Makes absolutely no sense to me. I would like to read the rationale if some one has a web address where it is being discussed.

The Montana system has its merits, so do several other systems. Montana adopted their system because of their low number of schools (lots of land few people). If they did not allow double team entries they could not have a system of qualifying regional/divisional tournaments. Two points about the Montana system. #1, the 2d team of wrestlers they are entering are by definition 2d team/JV wrestlers. Agreed, some of these JV wrestler will beat some varsity wrestlers from other schools--gonna happen!. Point #2. How do you seed JV into a varsity tournament. I can hear the cat fight now. Coach #1--"my freshman JV is undefeated at 10 and 0 (100%), and should be seeded higher than that senior wrestler with a 24 and 6 record (80%)". Coach #2-- "B--L S--T"!!!!! The solution may have to be a coaches wrestle off.

Now, as for the number of brackets. What is a "more" realistic number of brackets to best improve HS wrestling--if the number of brackets are Important? Something must be important if wrestlers/ex-wrestlers, fans, coaches , refs, and others seem to agree that something needs to be done to bring more kids into the wrestling room- or the sport is going to wither and possibly die at many scools and communities. I opened with 20 brackets, other called, raised, or dropped out. If 20 is not the number, what is-thats the problem. If more brackets may be needed , each of us has an idea on how the brackets are split. My idea is primarily leave everything below 160 alone. Now, before we can bracket, who are we trying to attract to wrestling. I don't think we are getting the HS football players into wrestling--the 170 and up kids. Back in the day you played football, then BB or wrestling , and in the spring baseball or track. Today kids are specialist, participating in one sport. Why? One reason is coaches make them do that. I know several coaches who tell their kids if you play X sport you can't play on my Y team---"you need to go to camps or play our Y sport in the off season on a club or AAU team". Happens!!! Pushy dad's who think junior is an potential All State/All American are also guilty of steering their student athletes to only one sport. HS sports are HS sports, and very few HS athletes are going on to college or the pros. So/ lets encourage them to participate in multiple HS sports. To me that equates to having a system you can recruit kids into. In wrestling, that may be more brackets with smaller splits. As for the bigger guys, I personally would not want any weight split over 25 or 30 pounds, and then only one at the very top 260 to 285). Novak makes a very good point. Why is the HS top weight 285 and the international top weight 264. Where does the US college heavyweights top out?

Enough said. All comment valid and all comments appreciated. What ever you position--keep it going!!!

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 02:56 PM

I put the number 20 up to initiate a discussion. In that sense it was successful. A little strong in some posts, but all are good, thought out comments.

Reference Husker Fan's last comment, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone anywhere is advocating reducing the number of HS weight brackets. Makes absolutely no sense to me. I would like to read the rationale if some one has a web address where it is being discussed.

The Montana system has its merits, so do several other systems. Montana adopted their system because of their low number of schools (lots of land few people). If they did not allow double team entries they could not have a system of qualifying regional/divisional tournaments. Two points about the Montana system. #1, the 2d team of wrestlers they are entering are by definition 2d team/JV wrestlers. Agreed, some of these JV wrestler will beat some varsity wrestlers from other schools--gonna happen!. Point #2. How do you seed JV into a varsity tournament. I can hear the cat fight now. Coach #1--"my freshman JV is undefeated at 10 and 0 (100%), and should be seeded higher than that senior wrestler with a 24 and 6 record (80%)". Coach #2-- "B--L S--T"!!!!! The solution may have to be a coaches wrestle off.

Now, as for the number of brackets. What is a "more" realistic number of brackets to best improve HS wrestling--if the number of brackets are Important? Something must be important if wrestlers/ex-wrestlers, fans, coaches , refs, and others seem to agree that something needs to be done to bring more kids into the wrestling room- or the sport is going to wither and possibly die at many scools and communities. I opened with 20 brackets, other called, raised, or dropped out. If 20 is not the number, what is-thats the problem. If more brackets may be needed , each of us has an idea on how the brackets are split. My idea is primarily leave everything below 160 alone. Now, before we can bracket, who are we trying to attract to wrestling. I don't think we are getting the HS football players into wrestling--the 170 and up kids. Back in the day you played football, then BB or wrestling , and in the spring baseball or track. Today kids are specialist, participating in one sport. Why? One reason is coaches make them do that. I know several coaches who tell their kids if you play X sport you can't play on my Y team---"you need to go to camps or play our Y sport in the off season on a club or AAU team". Happens!!! Pushy dad's who think junior is an potential All State/All American are also guilty of steering their student athletes to only one sport. HS sports are HS sports, and very few HS athletes are going on to college or the pros. So/ lets encourage them to participate in multiple HS sports. To me that equates to having a system you can recruit kids into. In wrestling, that may be more brackets with smaller splits. As for the bigger guys, I personally would not want any weight split over 25 or 30 pounds, and then only one at the very top 260 to 285). Novak makes a very good point. Why is the HS top weight 285 and the international top weight 264. Where does the US college heavyweights top out?

Enough said. All comments valid and all comments appreciated. What ever you position--keep it going!!!

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 04:56 PM

Contrarian,

College weight tops out at 285 and the weight differential is even worse from that to the next lowest class which is only 197 in college. This is a 88 pound differential. I think college needs to change too to reflect a difference between the second highest and highest weight classes that would be closer to the international weight divisions of approximately 212 and 264 in their two heaviest weight classes. The NCWA college club division does have an additional weight class at 235.

I bumped up the Minnesota considering switching to 12 weight classes topic from about two years ago so you could see their rationale of potentially dropping to twelve weight classes. I believe one of our Kansas high school coaches also advocated a reduction in total weight classes a couple of years ago in a topic.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 06:00 PM

What happened to the days when you could tell a kid- hey you are not the best and have to work your way to the top-

adding more weights so all the kids feel good about being varsity might be a bit much for me to handle.

To be the best in the state you have to first be the bes tin your school- I have no trouble with a great wrestle wrestling JV if he cant be the varsity kid
Posted By: Tom Heier

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 06:52 PM

Agreed, Scooby, this is how the best programs "reload".

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 07:02 PM

Scooby:

I do not think Contrarian's topic and intent to add more weight classes is meant for making kids feel good about being varsity. I think Contrarian is saying that the 70 pound differntial between 215 and 285 is too great of a percentage change.

Now the two alternative systems (Montana and the NAIA system) would have the objective of giving more than one opportunity in a weight class for a school to compete at the varsity level.

You say you have no problem with great wrestlers wrestling JV if they cannot beat the varsity kid. There actually were two such situations that I know of this year. First at Wichita Northwest where they had the returning State champions from 2008 in Kyle Caylor 215 and Brock Heithaus at 285. They also had a returning state qualifier in Trey Page 189 in 2008 who had grown into a heavyweight in 2009. The way it worked out Heithaus got hurt and Page was able to wrestle heavyweight instead. Page ended up second at State 285 6A which Heithaus had won the year before. Chief Renegade has Page ranked 5th all class in his final rankings. There is little doubt that Heithaus would have also been at this level if he had been able to defend his state title this year. You are saying that this doesn't bother you that one of the top six 285 guys in the state would not be able to wrestle varsity just because they both go to the same school? Personally I view that as a shortcoming in high school wrestling.

Olathe North also had both Lucas Vincent 2009 State Champion and #1 ranked in Chief's All Class rankings and Oliver Venegas on their squad at the beginning of the year. Oliver's brother is a former state champion and Oliver is an All State football player. I believe Oliver would also have been a high state placer and most likely have also made Chief's top ten list. I think these type of kids deserve the opportunity to compete at the high school varsity level just like two 60 foot shot putters from the same school have the oppotunity to compete for the state title in track & field. The Montana or NAIA system would allow for it to happen.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom Heier
Agreed, Scooby, this is how the best programs "reload".

Tom,

In the two examples I gave in the previous post there is no possibility of reloading. All of the wrestlers are in the same junior class. They will all be seniors next year and possibly could face the same situation if they all end up coming out for wrestling next year.
Posted By: Tom Heier

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/06/09 08:32 PM

Yes Vince, in the two examples you gave that wouldn't happen. Sorry. I was generally referring to, say a sophomore, at 119, who was surrounded by a better 112 and 125 pounder who would have to "bide his time" on JV...
While having two 285# that are both state quality caliber is unusual, it is unfortunate that this is happening at Olathe North and Wichita Northwest.
I wasn't speaking about any kid in particular, just making a generalization.

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/07/09 12:12 PM

No problem, Tom. I understand the generalization you were making. My main sport was football and it was common not to play varsity until your junior year so that is what I am more accustomed to.

I have found high school wrestling to be different in that it is more common for freshmen and sophomores to wrestle varsity and I think for the most part freshmen and junior varsity high school wrestling has more beginning wrestlers in comparison to freshmen and junior varsity football. Many of our freshmen and sophomores have been wrestling since they were very young, 5 to 7 years old. They have developed their skills to the level that they are state placing quality wrestlers as freshmen and sophomores. It is very difficult for this quality of wrestler to have to wrestle JV even as a freshman. It is just not the level these quality of wrestlers should be competing at. So even in the example you give of the 119 sophomore surrounded by the good competition, I would like to see him able to wrestle varsity in a system that allows a team two competitors per weight like the Montana system or the NAIA system.

It was very disappointing for me in 2007 to see three or four of the Aquinas seniors who would have been state qualifiers on other teams unable to compete varsity for most of their senior year or at state since they were second team on our State championship team. Two of these seniors had qualified for state in previous years. I just would like to see the system allow for more opportunities for wrestlers who are in this situation. I think the Montana system or the NAIA system could help give these quality wrestlers the opportunity for varsity competition that I think they deserve.
Posted By: Wrestlin Scholar

Re: 20 Weight Brackets - 03/08/09 03:47 AM

Vince,

Did you know Ben Roethlisberger was a backup in High School?
Of course his coaches son was the starting quarterback. At least the 4 Aquinas wrestler got to challenge for the varsity spot I hope.
Posted By: BigApple

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/08/09 04:01 AM

I've often wished that Hwt. was unlimited with one provision. All contestants would have to be under a maximum body fat percentage. Too many so called experts worry about our high school wrestlers having too low a body fat percentage, when if fact the least healthy are the overweight football players/wrestlers. Say 20 percent maximum body fat a wrestler is allowed.

I'd like to see a weight class smaller than 103, since we still see kids who are less than 100 pounds having to compete at 103 because the team doesn't have anyone else to fill the slot. 98 pounds would be about right.

Re: 20 Weight Brackets - 03/08/09 04:05 AM

I can think of one recent example where a two-time high school state champion could not make varsity his freshman year because he was behind a returning state finalist at 125 and a returning state qualifier at 130. The wrestler was Cade Blair of Valley Center and he had already had a very respectable kids wrestling career placing at state numerous times and winning it at least once. If there had been a Montana or NAIA system in place for this year he most likely would have qualified and who's to say he wouldn't have pulled something off and been at the top of the podium giving him a shot at the elusive 4 Timer nickname.
Posted By: HAMP

Re: 20 Weight Brackets - 03/09/09 03:08 AM

I really wish there could be a weight class lowere than 103. I coach for a kids club and have had the pleasure of coaching two outstanding kids that have each placed at state numerous times and have placed very well at national tournaments. The two kids are both very small, wrestled 72 last year and 78 this year. This year being their 7th grade year, and from their recent growth patterns it is going to be a miracle if they even weigh enough their freshman year to wrestle. Just really disappoints me that two great kids might have to sit out because they are not big enough and just simply cant gain the weight. Why make heavyweight higher when it is just simply easier for big kids to lose weight than it is for very skinny kids to gain weight.
I'm not real smart but it seems as though raising heavyweight just says to many obese kids, its ok just keep getting fatter you'll still get to participate

Re: 20 Weight Brackets - 03/09/09 04:33 AM

I don't think many kids could fill out a class lower than 103. As it is coaches have a hard enough time finding someone small enough to get to 103 let alone weigh less than that. While it sucks for those few who weigh well under 103 to be giving up so much weight they should eventually grow into the weight class and become a dominate force in the light weight divisions. I can think of a few recent 103 pound wrestlers who did not get close to that weight there freshmen years but turned out to have good careers (Kenny Ornelas, Nathan McCormick, Nash Burtin, Donny Altman and the list could go on but I don’t have all night). Austin Hood is one wrestler I can think of this year who could have benefited with a lighter weight class but he was still competitive at 103 while weighing less than 90 pounds he placed 4th in 4A.
Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

Re: 20 Weight Brackets - 03/09/09 07:07 AM

I really see no need at all for any change in the weight classes. When a kid finds himself in between 2 weight classes, he cuts weight and gets down to the lower weight 90% of the time. As far as the lighter weights go, there are bigger gaps between them as there are fewer bodies to fill the weights. How many jv 103 pounders are there that could go up to say 108 on teams around the state? Or if some of the 103lb studs go up then 103 becomes a weaker weight. As for the upper weights, the guys can handle the weight change. If a 230 pound kid can't cut down to 215 then I'm guessing he's already a muscle bound kid who shouldn't have much of a problem wrestling the heavier 285 pounders.
If you look at most teams and how they're put together, you will see many more middle weight kids than higher or lower weight. This is why there are more weights around the middle with lower weight changes in between them.
Posted By: Coach Samson

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 02:19 PM

In my opinion as a coach at a 321a school that is seeing numbers decreasing all over the place adding six weight classes is ridiculous. This will only make it harder for those in the small schools to compete as a team. But adding those weights might sound good to someone at a 4,5,6A school but those of us in 321a would really have a hard time finding 20 guys to fill a roster to compete in a dual match or try to have a strong team finish in tournaments.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Coach Samson
In my opinion as a coach at a 321a school that is seeing numbers decreasing all over the place adding six weight classes is ridiculous. This will only make it harder for those in the small schools to compete as a team. But adding those weights might sound good to someone at a 4,5,6A school but those of us in 321a would really have a hard time finding 20 guys to fill a roster to compete in a dual match or try to have a strong team finish in tournaments.

Coach are the declining numbers strictly a result of declining enrollments or just a lack of participation?
Posted By: RailerMulePanther

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 02:57 PM

Didn't Kansas try a different weight class system in 1995 where there were something like 16 weight classes or something, they added more lower weights and more upper weights. That lasted for a year...I persoanlly beleive that one of the greatest things about wrestling is the fact that you are the one that either gets his hand raised or doesn't. It is the ultimate sport; however it is also very much a team sport. Any person how has been on a good team competing for a state trophy knows the importance of a team in wrestilng.

Missouri runs a four class system with class 4 having 47 schools, class 3 45, class 2 46 and class 1 45. There has been discussion about going back to three classes and going to 12 weight classes becuase some feel the current system is too watered down. The Missouri state tournament is a very fun intense three days already being able to watch all three classes and fairly competive wrestling. Having grown up in Kansas I was disappointed when I heard that the state tournament split up.

What is the better approach...have fewer state medalist but those medalist being absolute studds, or have more medalist that maybe aren't as good some of the others?
Posted By: Snewy 125

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 03:37 PM

i think there should be a 95 weight class for the small guys that have to eat to make 103
Posted By: Coach Samson

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 04:26 PM

a little of both
Posted By: CPolansky

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 04:52 PM

I've been on both sides of this argument, I wrestled JV for manhattan for three years behind my twin brother and Damon Parker, and Cordelll Black From Manhattan 95-98 My senior year the only spot I could find was 189 which was 50 lbs under where I was in football, Would it have been nice to wrestle in a 240 lbs class well yeah but the confidence and life experiance of working to a goal and making it was something that will stay with me forever.
Now I am a coach at a small school and we have few jv spots and if you have 4 or 5 quality wrestlers you can compete in most tournaments(5 or better) If there was 20 classes I don't know if you could. I think the current arangement of classes works for both small and big schools. Is there a better system maybe, but lets make sure we don't trade the system for somthing that is not as good as the one we have.
Posted By: RJW1

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/11/09 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: RailerMulePanther
Didn't Kansas try a different weight class system in 1995 where there were something like 16 weight classes or something, they added more lower weights and more upper weights.

No. In the 1994-1995 season, they attempted to add the 215# class without increasing the number of weights (tried to keep it at 13). That forced them to change most of the weights to accommodate this. That system lasted one year and they decided to go back to the original 13 weights and add 215 to get to the current 14 weight system. At least that is how I remember it going down.
Posted By: zeyen

Re: 14 Weight Brackets - 03/13/09 07:59 AM

There was a year in there where they changed the weights around. They started with 100, then 107, 112 and up. Not sure of the year, but it only lasted one year before going back to where we were. I am not sure how it went all the way up, but it was adjusted in most weights. We had a very good 100 lber. and a decent 107 and 112 - thats how I remember this and it worked well for us that year. Mike Zeyen
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums