Kansas Wrestling

State Champs question

Posted By: Standing_up

State Champs question - 02/21/10 09:49 PM

curiosity and a bet riding on this

Anyone know what school brought the least amount of wrestlers to state and was still able to win a state championship?
Posted By: Jason Halling

Re: State Champs question - 02/21/10 10:16 PM

Someone else may have the research to back this up, but I thought in the mid to late 90's Abiline (I think) took 3 kids or four kids to state and each of them won a state title and racked up several bonus points and won a team state title. I thought it was only 3 kids. 3 titles would add up to 74 pnts, plus there is the potential for another 15-24 points in bonus, so it would have been possible.

Also, in 95 or 96, Doyle Hart wrestled for Grinnell. He was the only wrestler Grinnell had as his dad was superintendent of schools. Doyle won a state title with several bonus points and I want to say Grinnell finished in the top 15 that year. I could be wrong with the team finsh but it sounds right.
Posted By: Ron Burgundy

Re: State Champs question - 02/21/10 10:22 PM

I think SE of Saline only took 4 kids in 1985 or 1986 and won 321A state. But there were also only 12 weight classes back then and they only placed 4 places. I think it would be pretty unlikely you could win state now with just 4 kids qualifying.
Posted By: GregMann

Re: State Champs question - 02/21/10 10:47 PM

How far back do you want to go?

In 1971 Garden City took four and won the big school state (I think it was called 2A at that time). Scott Hooker, Ken Childers and Mike Brungardt each took second and Henry Crosby won first.
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: State Champs question - 02/21/10 10:52 PM

My last year as a coach for South High (2007) we qualified 4 kids for state and 3 of them got into the state finals. All three lost and took 2nd place. The other kid went 2-2 and DNP. I believe we still placed 8th as a team. Could be wrong though.

Coach Church
Posted By: Dylan Campbell

Re: State Champs question - 02/21/10 11:55 PM

The year was 1998. Doyle wrestled for Morland. Doyle got second to Brandebury (sp?) of Norton, but yes, he beat over half of the teams at state by himself.
Posted By: Jason Halling

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 12:22 AM

Thanks for the clarifying that Dylan. I did think he won a title though during his career. It's amazing what time does to a memory.
Posted By: Standing_up

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 02:08 AM

thanks for responding.

crazy wow i was way off, i said 9 or 10 great now i have to pay up
Posted By: Bill Johnson

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 02:16 AM

Yes, Dylan is correct. Brent Brandyberry-Sr. won his 2nd state title with a 1st period fall over Doyle Hart a Sr. from Morland (He wrestled with Hoxie all season). I run into Doyle's dad at some kids wrestling tournaments as he is following grandkids that wrestle for Colby.
Posted By: Kirk Berggren

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: GregMann
How far back do you want to go?

In 1971 Garden City took four and won the big school state (I think it was called 2A at that time). Scott Hooker, Ken Childers and Mike Brungardt each took second and Henry Crosby won first.

GM,
Mike Brungardt is now the strength and conditioning coach for the San Antonio Spurs. He was also my high school wrestling coach in Nebraska. I forgot he was from Garden City.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 02:37 AM

I just talked to Greg Buckbee and he was on the State Championship Team from Emporia in 1984. They took four wrestlers. Three runner-ups and a third. They won the 6A Team Championship by 1/2 point. Members of the team were Greg Buckbee, Nally Tovar, Mick Rodriguez, and Dan Breckenridge took third. They won because the Wichita North coach got in an argument with an official and a team point was deducted. Wichita North took 2nd.
Posted By: Full Contact

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 03:47 AM

Actually Killer Bee, the North High coach wasn't arguing but made a rather insignificant gesture to the ref.(especially by today's standards). The official couln't seem to wait to pop North High for the point (I think Buckbee slipped him a Jackson before the match or something smile Funny thing is - that particular coach seldom ever argued calls. I know this because I was his assistant coach that year and remember it well. North had three in the finals (Tim Dryden, Danny Manion and Jesse Lopez) and we told them if they all won their finals matche that North High takes the team title - they all did but that 1 point deduction gave the title to Emporia (like they needed another one.......)
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 03:52 AM

I think you have another team in mind, Abilene won state back to back 98 and 99. In 1998 we took at least 8 kids, and I think only Nate Smith won that year. In 1999 we took 10 and 9 placed with only two in the finals and both lost. Abilene won by around 30 points that year.

See you 4a fans on Friday!!!
Posted By: dalefish1

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 04:33 AM

In 1974 (the first year I had the pleasure of watching a state wrestling championship), it was the 2-1A held in Colby. Note that this was before Hays being declared “Mecca”. I seem to recall that
The team from St. Frances qualified four young men, and all four took first place.

Frewen, Mike Saint Francis 105
Schneider, Brad Saint Francis 145
Holzworth, Randy Saint Francis 185
Zuege, Leslie Saint Francis Hwt

I believe the team (Sainty) finished 2nd , not first, but as a brand new fan of the sport of wrestling, I was impressed. The Colby gym (small) was really rocking – talk about being really up close to the action - WOW. Oakley won the team title, but the Northwest Kansas area rivalries were electrifying. My gosh, I’m old, this was before Coach Gabel.
Posted By: GregMann

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 05:50 PM

Mike was also a member of the last wrestling team fielded by K-State in 1975.
Posted By: coachtmac29

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 09:12 PM

we got close my sophmore year of high school in 4a, i think it was 2000. took 6 to state had 4 in the finals 1 fourth place and took second in state as a team. (SANTA FE TRAIL)

jermy long-1st
shaun moore- 2nd
cody betsworth- 2nd
travis mcburney- 2nd
ryan temple- 4th
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: State Champs question - 02/22/10 09:22 PM

I thought Jermy Long graduated in 99?
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums