Kansas Wrestling

Academic shout out

Posted By: DamonParker

Academic shout out - 03/14/14 01:42 PM

Congrats to all of these guys who get it done both on the mat and in the classroom! These are your future leaders of America right here.

https://docs.google.com/a/usd437.net/document/d/11GTbcVX-nQLhcjDC5vDCbdHE4dXk-n1f-ZXKFFxmP6Q/pub

https://docs.google.com/a/usd437.net/document/d/1IgklVdP-LFVrW3k4DlMp4mZDmjfKZMzEgA5RRSgKm4Y/pub

Selfishly, I have to make a brag on my own wrestlers....we finished the year with 54 wrestlers. 49/54 had a Fall GPA of 3.0 or higher, and we had a team-wide (V & JV) Fall GPA of 3.348. Very proud of my student-athletes.
Posted By: Coach Samson

Re: Academic shout out - 03/14/14 02:23 PM

It is great to see so many team listed for their academic achievements Too many times we focus on just the wrestling and competition and forget that we are preparing these young me for life. Keep up the great work making Kansas proud.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Academic shout out - 03/14/14 02:28 PM

Very proud of all these young men! They have all opened many more opportunities.
Posted By: Ryan Jilka

Re: Academic shout out - 03/14/14 07:31 PM

Awesome list and accomplishments! Great job, fellas!

Now, on a more serious topic... How many are Spelling Bee champs and/or stringed instrument aficionados? Is that just a Prant Garker thing?
Posted By: Gary Ulmer

Re: Academic shout out - 03/14/14 08:51 PM

Wow! What a list. It says a lot for wrestling that so many excel in academics as well. Congratulations to you all, a job well done.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Academic shout out - 03/14/14 10:10 PM

Damon,

Thanks for posting. After last season with a very disappointing showing at State, I had a talk with Garrett and I said that I thought his goals for this year should be 1) First Team All Academic, 2) Get 100 career wins, and 3) Place at State a 2nd time. He embraced them and accomplished the first two and came one win away from the third. Great job by all these young men to excel in the classroom as well as on the mat.
Posted By: gymmom

Re: Academic shout out - 03/16/14 12:41 AM

What is the criteria for First Team All Academic? How does a senior get on that list? Just curious because I don't see some kids on this list that I KNOW excelled in the classroom as well as on the mat.
Posted By: Salt

Re: Academic shout out - 03/16/14 12:50 AM

As I remember it:

1st team = 3.5 GPA + winning record senior yr
Hon Mention = 3.0 GPA + winning record senior yr
Posted By: gymmom

Re: Academic shout out - 03/16/14 02:36 AM

How does this information get to the KWCA for a wrestler? Does the coach submit it, athletic director? Does your coach/school have to be a member of KWCA in order to be on the list? It just seems kind of sad that some kids are not on the list who definitely meet the criteria of 3.5 GPA + winning record senior yr. It certainly is an accomplishment and they all should get recognition! If anyone knows the answers, please tell. smile
Posted By: Coach Prieto

Re: Academic shout out - 03/16/14 05:14 AM

Coaches have to gather all the info and then submit it! Another great way to promote your program and the kids!
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums