Kansas Wrestling

Fantasy Team

Posted By: Light Em Up

Fantasy Team - 03/08/04 12:48 AM

What would your fantasy roster consist of, using only wrestlers from Kansas?
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/08/04 06:38 AM

Any year? and using the 14 classes? Now or then (if they are in college wrestling)

Give me all the 4 timers and place them wherever according to current weights...if there are two people at the same weight bump one, or something...

any open weights after that...I'll figure it out...but someone's got to help me with what every 4 timer wrestled...although I might replace a few 4 timers.

I do want some old schoolers on my team...

Eric Aiken
Melvin Douglas

and then the 3 Scotts...
Scott Urban
Scott Coleman
and Scott City's Matt Ramsey might make my list as well.
Posted By: Ex-tong189

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/08/04 08:01 PM

The Upper Wieghts:

171: Shawn Silvis
189: Justin Dyer
215: Gerrad Spear
275: Jerimiah Beltran

Sorry for the badly spelled names!!
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/08/04 10:19 PM

Spear and Beltran over Garker and Boyle? Silvis over Garker or Coleman?

You craaaaaaaaaaaazy.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/08/04 10:23 PM

are we going by now weights? becaus silvis was lighter in high school...if not....put Coleman at HWT.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/08/04 11:53 PM

dont care, but Speer would defintely be at the top of my list

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 12:02 AM

Let me add Bo Maynes, and darn it the SFT headlock guy...arghhh slipping my mind. I also liked Chris Aguilera in the lightweights from Washburn Rural.
Posted By: guess who

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 12:10 AM

I think Justin Ware should have a spot
Posted By: Todd

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 01:05 AM

I think the SFT headlock kid you are talking about is Jeremy Long. What about Zach Roberson? Not to shabby either.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 01:26 AM

I also like Brandon Numrich and Jaime Prieto, past state champions

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 04:17 AM

Gerrad Spear was a phenominal wrestler in High School....Silvis is now a national Champion in college how could you count him out.....Beltran was also incredible...he was a national champ in freestyle or greco so he can't be not on the list.....Jeremy Long deserves to be on there as well as Eric Akin, Bo Maynes, Zach Roberson!!!
Posted By: Dingbat

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 04:26 AM

Didn't Beltran lose to Anthony Whetstone aka Water Pebble aka H2O Mineral Aggregate aka Fraggle Rock in the state finals? Anyway, Beltran wouldn't have made it out of the first period with Boyle.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 04:54 AM

I think the fantasy team should be wrestlers at their high school ability level, for that's all we Kansans are familiar with for some of them.

In which case, Beltran gets the boot, as does Speer. (Not that they weren't great wrestlers.) I give Coleman the JV 171 spot, as he was a national champ in high school, and Boyle the top heavy spot by about 123123987523451063 votes.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 05:23 AM

I didn't think Whetstone beat Beltran in the finals at state, I know what he did do though, that over sized muppet stole part of my egg mcmuffin at the Chapman kid's tournament a few years ago...he said I'm hungry and just grabbed 3/4 of my sandwich. But hey I was just a lil dude at the time...I wasn't about to mess with a Manute Bol when I was a Danny Devito.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 12:03 PM

Yes, Fraggle beat Beltran. And Sweazy, you should be proud of yourself. That was one of the most laugh-out-loud funny posts I've ever read.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 04:05 PM

Dingbat-

I believe if you mean "that was the most LOL post..."

Right, rocknraider? Buddy? Hmmm?
Posted By: ufc

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 04:22 PM

Jeremy Long deserves to be on there as well as Eric Akin, Bo Maynes, Zach Roberson!!!

Are you seriously thinkin of putting jeremy long on the list? Remember that time he went to college and tried to wrestle with actual wrestlers twice? Yeah he sucked! he was a four timer yes. But he sucked!!!! He dropped out of 2 or 3 programs i believe. Wow!
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/09/04 04:24 PM

Luckily we already said that we were going off of high school experience. That means that his poor performance in college doesn't matter.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 04:44 AM

How can you say that Gerrad Spear of Scott City doesn't deserve to be on there. He was a 3 timer and placed 3rd his freshman year. That year a coulple back when 215 was "off the hook" he beat everyone who got in his way....Wiesharr and Latimer wrestled well at nationals...something tells me if he would of went he would of placed very high!!! Considering he beat Wiesharr in the finals at state!!!

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 06:08 AM

Quote:
Are you seriously thinkin of putting jeremy long on the list? Remember that time he went to college and tried to wrestle with actual wrestlers twice? Yeah he sucked! he was a four timer yes. But he sucked!!!! He dropped out of 2 or 3 programs i believe. Wow!
Not like he's the first 4 timer to go through 2 or 3 programs...heck one finally settled down after 3 and has found his fit with that institute by doing extremely well.

Long probably did 10 times better than me in college (which isn't hard)...so I'll give him credit.

Quote:
Luckily we already said that we were going off of high school experience. That means that his poor performance in college doesn't matter.
Thank God you aren't counting college...my high school varsity record should be enough to, awe man 33-45? D'oh!
Posted By: rocknraider

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 06:50 AM

Prant Garker-
LOL, JK, LOL, JK, LOL, JK, LOL, JK, LOL!!!!!
Posted By: oldtimer2003

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 04:53 PM

275-Jeff Boyle ring any bells
He is the most dominating and strongest wrestlers ive ever seen. Ive never seen a heavy weight move so fast and also anyone ever seen a heavy weight pick up his opp. with a deep double. It was awesome it was in the 97 finals at state against cody parks, he pinned him in like 17 seconds if i remember right

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 05:11 PM

Wasn't it 13?
Posted By: Pups4Ever

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 08:13 PM

Tony Rodgers from Caney Valley. He was AWESOME.

Also, Zach Hemmerling from Hutchinson would be a great choice at 215. Dude was a giant muscle in a singlet!

And Earl Jones...

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 09:42 PM

Hemmerling was a bad-a in comparison, but I wouldn't put him as the top 215 of all time.

To me, 215 is one of the most wide-open classes. I would have to say Cosh Jarroll would still be #1 all time, unless there are some Oldie Olsons from way back. Other names worth mentioning include Chaney from Wyandotte, Staab, and Prant Garker 2002 edition.
Posted By: wrestlingchic4u

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 10:07 PM

ok....so jeremy long is a stud.....end of discussion!!

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 10:48 PM

Speer did amazing during his 4 year career, you could tell he was special after his freshman year, hes definetly on the list

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/10/04 11:12 PM

Thank you "Light Em Up" at least someone else remembers his dominance!...oh yeah he also beat Lattimer in the east west classic!
Posted By: coastie_ks

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 03:09 AM

What about Brandon pfizenmaier from clay center 3 timer with a third place. He should be in there around 140 or 145.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 03:42 AM

I remember watching Pfizenmeier (sp?) a little bit. That guy was straight up bananas.

Come on, you who are more wise than Prant--let's hear of some good 215s (or guys who could have been 215s).

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 03:58 AM

Prant Garker-
Id pick Hutch's Hemmerling over ON's Carroll. Carroll lost to Bork by 1 point and Hemmerling beat Bork in the same tourney like 15-4. Also Hemmerling beat Carroll head to head at state too....i dont think it was pretty either. Our team would call him the abominable snowman because he was freaking huge and had ridiciously long arms.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 04:25 AM

215ers...hmmm,

Damon Parker
Matt Vogelsberg
Strait from Bellville

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 04:57 AM

rocknraider-

I believe you are speaking of good ol' Bananafingers McCantbendhisknees. It's not that he wasn't a great wrestler (he was good enough to rip my heart out), but I still think Carroll was better.

Carrol was a two time state champ, 3x finalist.
Carrol had more technique than Hemmerling.
Carrol won 215 as a sophomore. Impressive.
Hemmerling got tech falled by Ben Coleman his freshman or sophomore year. (And Coleman was trash.)
Carrol wrestles at a D1 school
Carrol placed 3rd at nationals.

Was Hemmerling a slouch? Absolutely not. Is he a dragonslayer? Absolutely. However, I think he caught Carrol on a bad bad bad day in the finals. He was out of shape, had a passion for breaking hearts, and wrestled with practically one elbow.

Not to take anything away from McCantbendhisknees, but how hard can it be to win state in a bracket where Jhris places fourth?

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 07:20 AM

Prant Garker-
Just want to say right now that was a sweet rip on Jhris with the 4th at state comment.

Carroll seemed to be having a decent day my former state qualifying friend at the BVNW tourney and was beat by Bork (even though Carroll should have won because the slam call in my opinion was wrong).
Posted By: W. Heights AD

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 01:30 PM

Is Beau Vest in this any where? What about Dirk Foust. If we go old school, you can't leave out Roy Oeser. Of Course Zack Roberson is in it. He is probably the best to ever come out of Kansas. Bo Maynes for sure (stud). Joe Nelson, was only taken down twice in his last two years, went 76-0 in those two years, didnt start wrestling really until his sophomore year. Brian Scott, was only beaten 4 times his entire career and three of those were in his freshman year and the other was to a Zack Roberson. He was a great small weight 112. And the Huge western KS heavyweight that went to Wyoming to play football (dang). Devon Bahm... have to give that 4 timer credit.

some of my pics.
Posted By: JhrisCennings

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 02:12 PM

I wrestled Carrol in freestyle, and I was teched in about 2 minutes. It was sweet. I wrestled Hemmerling a few months later and lost by 8. In my opinion, Carrol was better. He threw me around like I used to do to Prant. Hemmerling beat me, but couldn't turn me. He just did a takedown clinic like whoa.

If they wrestled the next day after state in a rematch....

Josh Carrol wins by score of 11-6

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 03:44 PM

I don't think it matters who is better Josh Carrol or Zach Hemmerling....I believe that Gerrad Speer from Scott City was better than them both at 215lbs!!!
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 03:59 PM

Matt Treaster, a four-timer, always gets left out these conversations. Also Brent Rechtfertig wasn't too bad either!
Posted By: bcsc59

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 04:04 PM

Gerrad Speer only lost 1 match in his final three years of high school. He was a regional champion, but did not place as a freshman. Definitely got my vote at 189 or 215, he won titles at both weights.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 05:06 PM

I think Speer was great, but Carrol finished 3rd at nationals. Hard to argue with that. How did Speer do, and what year did he wrestle?

Also, Chaney from Wyandotte was pretty impressive as far as 215s go.

Ahhhhhhhhh, Joe Nelson. That guy was freaking fast, but I'd still give Dyer the nod at 189. Joe can be my JV 189 any day.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 06:07 PM

Stop trying to bait me, Prant.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 06:48 PM

Go Speer!
Posted By: P. Pitbull's Old Dog

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 07:15 PM

Why don't we try some decade teams

from the 70's
Bell
Oeser
Goodwin
Garcia
Bigler
Ray
for just a start
Posted By: P. Pitbull's Old Dog

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 07:22 PM

and don't forget

Palmer
Ekey
and Frakes

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 07:56 PM

Speer didn't go to nationals his senior year for whatever reason....but Wiesharr and lattimer did and they both were about a match from placing if my memory serves me correctly. I think Speer would have placed and placed high since he beat both Wiesharr and Lattimer soundly. Wiesharr in the state finals and Lattimer at the East/West Classic!
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/11/04 09:25 PM

103-- Roger fisher from Norton. won 3 times, stayed at 95 to 103 pounds his entire carreer, went to K-state for awhile, won the big 8 tourney at 118 against I-state, Okla. and O-state before dropping out of school.
112-- Mark Hooker from Garden City, only 1 time champ but unbelieveably strong and quick.
119--bo Maynes-- hard to leave him off as he was so dominant, even when hurt.
125--Zach Roberson-- awfully good wrestler that was one of the very best. these mid-low weights have a lot of talent, but Bo and Zach are at the top of my list.
130-- Myron Roderick. a LONG time ago (early fifties) but undeniabley the best wrestler to come from Ks. 3 Ks. Championships, 3 NCAA championships, as well as numerous pan am medals and an Olympic medal. also more than 10 NCAA team titles as a coach. lots of guys that would be candidates here, but none of them will likely match Roderick.
135--Earl Jones, I think. Again there are a lot of candidates here.
140--Cornejo is not done yet, but he has certainly looked good up to now. I go with him.
145 Quenton Horning from Norton, graduated in the late 60's, won the title his sr. year with a dislocated shoulder. best I ever saw at that weight.
152--Lonnie Currier from Ulysses, ar very fine technique wrestler that was tough to beat.
160--the weights get a little weird here, as they were broken up differently in the past, but between 160 and 171 I put eric Koehler of Nemaha Valley and Roy Oeser of Kapaun mt. Carmel. these guys wrestled at or near those weights from freshman year on up and won 7 titles between them.
189--Gerrod Speer of Scott City was a dominant force at this weight and he's my pick.
215-- horenik of Atwood. or maybe Scott urban if he can get down to weight.
hvy-- Bedore of Goodland.
That's the team I would have, we might have to clean out some rest homes and bars to get them together but I think they would be the best.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 12:37 AM

I dont quite remember why speer didnt go to regionals, but your right, he was a much more dominating wrestler than Wiesharr and lattimer.

Watch Guy Miller the next couple of years, There are some very big plans for that young man. Hes a very dominate wrestler that pinned Tony Lewis his freshman year, he'll be lookin for a state championship next year during his junior year.
Posted By: wrestle4life

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 12:42 AM

Todd Drake 4xer from Andover UCO national champ
Jesse West? from Emporia although he went to Iowa his Senior year. HWT Boyle (nort.) 189 Scott Coleman (man.) and a bunch of ark city kids: Devin Bahm, Justin Ware, Scott Goodale, Matt and Chris Hernadez, Scott Munson. Temoer Terry (mac).
Posted By: wrestle4life

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 01:04 AM

Vest, Beau [Topeka] (103 lb
West, Jesse [Emporia] (112 lb
Bunch, Shawn [Leavenworth] (119 lb.
Roberson, Zach [Blue Valley Northwest] (125 lb.
Long, Jeremy [Santa Fe Trail] (130 lb.
Spaulding, Dusty [Emporia] (135 lb.
Ware, Justin [Arkansas City] (140 lb
Pfizenmaier, Brandon [Clay Center] (145 lb.
Lawrenz, Nathan [Herington] (152 lb.
Munson, Scott [Arkansas City] (160 lb.
Silvis, Shaun [Augusta] (171 lb
Shay, Brian [Paola] (189 lb.
Zach Hemmerling, Hutchinson 215 lb.
Boyle, Jeff [Norton] (275 lb.
Posted By: Timmmmmmmy

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 01:07 AM

Mike,
Obviously you did not ever watch the Boyle kid from Norton wrestle. He would absolutely destroy Bedore, no question.
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 02:11 AM

pretty tall order, ask Tony Lewis or Jeff Horenik how tough Bedore is. I believe that Boyle lost some matches in a rather decisive manner to Landon Frank of Scott City when he was a bit younger. Jeff Boyle was not able to win the senior nationals, Scott Urban did. I have seen only two references to mr. Urban, but he is the man with the results. maybe I should have moved him up to hvy and gone with him.
Posted By: not today

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 03:56 AM

Jerry Corner
Aaron Rusher
Temore Terry
John Blosser
Ryan Berkstresser
Scotty Goodale
Chris Ngo
Mike Dawes
Clint Caton
Dustin May
Matt Hernandez
Big Head Scott
Kris Kielhorn
Nate Lawrenz
Allen Hankins

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 04:17 AM

Quote:
Scott urban if he can get down to weight.
If Urban can get down to 215 it will get real cold in Kansas..lol. Is he still helping out in Atwood? He came to Chapman and made our upperweights better in the short time he was there as an assistant.
Posted By: havid deidrick

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 04:28 AM

gabe connaghan? nate payne? kreigbaum? gilliland?

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 05:20 AM

Mr. Fairleigh-

Dyer is not your 189? That is quite intriguing. I don't believe I've ever been as impressed with a phsyical specimen/wrestler combination as I was with Dyer. (Man crush? No. But close.)

And to those of you who pick Hemmerling as 215, I still say "nay." He was amazing, and might even go the distance in a match with me, but he went 0-2 at nationals. Just because he is a current behemoth/monster does not mean he is the greatest behemoth/monster.

Let's hear from the Oldie Olsens like fanatic, Bes Lrown, Ton Racha, etc. You guys are wise beyond your (many) years.
Posted By: wrstler07

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 05:45 AM

You all talk about the Silvis kid like he's good or something. I'll take him on any day. Wipe the mat with him I will.

Also, I wish I would have been around to see Jeff Boyle, he sounds b-b-b-b-bad to the bone.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 06:40 AM

wrstler07,

Good to see you back! I thought you might have been studying this last semester and didn't have time to post. Your mom said, "no way".

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/12/04 06:52 AM

Quote:
You all talk about the Silvis kid like he's good or something. I'll take him on any day. Wipe the mat with him I will.
I met him when I was dating a girl in junior college that was the best friend of his girlfriend at the time. Funny less than a year later we wound up teammates down at UCO. I don't know if you'll wipe the mat with him unless you hire a bunch of ninjas...that boy is good.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/13/04 07:27 PM

What about Vogelsberg? He was pretty tight, right? Could he have competed with Carrol?

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/13/04 09:26 PM

I smooshed Vogelsberg in 6 straight matches.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/13/04 09:56 PM

In what universe? Vogelsberg would crush you.

What about Chaney vs. Carrol? Could he put up a good fight?
Posted By: Ryan Jilka

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/13/04 10:28 PM

What about Melvin Douglas? I don't know all of his accomplishments, but on the national level he was as good as any Kansan.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/13/04 11:28 PM

Quote:
I think Speer was great, but Carrol finished 3rd at nationals. Hard to argue with that. How did Speer do, and what year did he wrestle?
He got 4th.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 12:03 AM

I hate you, Prant.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 12:04 AM

You just wait until the Squat-Off.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 03:43 AM

Oh Dingbat, it is going to be so delicious when me and my 7.9% body fat send you back to the Big Unit in tears. With my hair continuously growing, I am a modern-day Sampson (Samson? Mr. Furches, you can help me out, right?).

Jhris, you can watch our depth and spot Dingbat when he crashes after trying my warm-up weight. I'll be too busy making out with Dingbat's girlfriend to help out.

Then we can all eat at Taco Bell and play Tecmo.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 03:56 AM

I would own each and every one of you in Tecmo Super Bowl. Christian Okoye would run all over you guys.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 04:48 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Just wait until I bust out LT or the Fulchmeister to dominate Okoye. My autoblitz skills are unequalled. Or I could use the Octane and have my good buddy Warren Moon throw for 400 yards on you. Or I could let Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas and QB Bills take turns 28-pointing you. Or I could use the ol' A and Down with QB Eagles.

You see, LancerM, I am unstoppable. Ask Dingbat what the score of our last game was, with me as the Bills and him as the Steel-a-teel.

I win, always. Always.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 05:49 AM

What about Vogelsberg?

He's dam good....great double, I should know he was in the NCKL with me for 3 agonizing years. I do remember placing hire than him though at the Minneapolis Tournament. Those of you who know Sky Siemers, well his dad was the first person I went up to after I pinned my guy in the semis. I said I think I'm ready for Vogelsberg...he said, "well I don't think he's ready for you" I immediantly said Thanks for the confidence, the reply: "you dipchit...Vogelsberg lost"

Needless to say, I turned as white as a ghost, and didn't fare to well in my match...I lost 12-7 I believe in the finals. Vogelsberg pinned the poor sap on the back side in like :20 seconds.
Posted By: k-dogg13

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 04:17 PM

With all this talk of 215 lbers., I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Noah Clouse. He weighed 190 on the day he won his third straight state championship, I believe 2 in 321a and 1 in 4a. Pound for pound, one of the best I've ever seen.
Posted By: Time Stands Still

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 05:37 PM

Noah Clouse was beaten by Carroll in the finals of the Bobcat Classic.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 07:34 PM

I think that Nigel would have an All-Abilene team, including himself at whatever weight he wrestled. We all know that he's the best, and eventhough he didn't make the state finals, he's would totally destroy me with his one arm.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 07:35 PM

I think that Nigel would have an All-Abilene team, including himself at whatever weight he wrestled. We all know that he's the best, and eventhough he didn't make the state finals, he would totally destroy me with his one arm.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 07:36 PM

Sorry, I put he's instead of he.
Posted By: niugrad

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 07:43 PM

Vogelsberg was beaten at east/west.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 08:03 PM

That's right...by Dennis of Oakley

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 08:26 PM

niugrad, you're right. Vogelsberg was NOT beaten at East/West...

But let's try and name some past 215ers that did lose that fateful dual....hmmmmmm......

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 09:45 PM

Ah, East/West doesn't really matter. Look to the season's results to see who is truly the best.

Re: Fantasy Team - 03/14/04 10:13 PM

I don't know, people often talk about peaking at the end...seems to me East/West is just a continuation of that. Also, it matches the best against the best to determine the uber-best.

Anyone have any names of East/West 215 losers?
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums