Kansas Wrestling

Metro Results

Posted By: usawks1

Metro Results - 03/09/05 04:36 AM

Kansas 16 - Missouri 35.

I will have a full report in the morning.
Posted By: kck_kat

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 11:32 AM

There was some exceptional wrestling at the Classic this year, but the refereeing would not be descibed in that fashion. If the ref from MO was the ref of the year, then I think all of us KS folks should take up a collection for a MO ref training program. When a ref refuses to shake a wrestlers hand because he didn't like the way a match went, then he should be removed from high school wrestling altogether. I was dumbfounded! In the same match, the wrestler from MO refused to shake hands with his KS opponent or the KS coaches. He packed up soon after his match and walked out of the arena. What lesson did all of the younger wrestlers learn from this match? Then there is the whole "oh my shoulder is hurt" match. The MO wrestler, and I'm trying not to name names here, went down with what looked like a rotator cuff injury. We all felt very badly for him. He decided to continue and as soon as he was down on the mat in a precarious position, he sceamed and they stopped the match again. As soon as the KS wrestler got up, the MO wrestler popped up like nothing was wrong, rolled his shoulder, and was ready to wrestle again. I think this young competitor may have cried wolf in a very obvious way because he was looking at a loss. He was booed VERY loudly and repeatedly. He ended up wininng by one point because his KS opponent did go for the easy mark and crank that shoulder. Both of these matches were very sad displays that I can't remember seeing at the Metro in the past. Let's pick coaches, teams, and refs that want to represent the BEST of both states, not just the best wrestling. A big well done to Corey Bloodgood! You stepped up your game! Keaton Baker's match was a pleasure to watch also! And one more thing.....Congrats to Andreas on your scholarship. You're a great kid and a great wrestler! Do well at Med. school and in life!

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 12:28 PM

Sorry, I meant to say DIDN'T go for the easy mark. In fact, he went the other way trying not to hurt the MO wrestler, and perhaps that wrestler's college hopes!
Posted By: KCWrestlersMom

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 01:29 PM

I thought Ross Starcher wrestled an excellent match and kept his composure quite well when the rest of us had a hard time keeping ours. It's too bad such a good match on his part had to be negated by such a display of theatrics and poor sportsmanship on the part of his opponent. Good job, Ross!
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 01:41 PM

"He was booed VERY loudly and repeatedly."

I guess Rule 52 wasn't in effect?
Posted By: 24/7

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 01:48 PM

Here are the detailed results:

Missouri 35 Kansas 16 MO/KAN Classic
13th ANNUAL METRO CLASSIC
at Kansas City Kansas Community College

MISSOURI 35,
KANSAS 16

112: Cory Bloodgood, Spring Hill, maj. dec. Craig Honeywell, Oak Grove, 17-5.
119: Keaton Baker, Blue Valley, pin Matt Groepel, Raymore-Peculiar, 4:30.
125: Michael Dunkum, Platte County, dec. Grant Baker, Blue Valley, 5-2.
130: Caleb Hulse, Turner, dec. Trent Wilczek, Liberty, 2-1.
135: Matt Breit, Raymore-Peculiar, maj. dec. Kenny Aubrey, Shawnee Mission South, 12-0.
140: William Forrest, Raymore-Peculiar, dec. Max Connelly, Santa Fe Trail, 7-4.
145: Tyler Grayson, Winnetonka, dec. Cody Sprang, Atchison Co. Comm., 9-4.
152: Cameron Harms, Blue Springs, dec. Travis Eden, Santa Fe Trail, 3-1.
160: Brandon Simpson, Richmond, dec. Ross Starcher, Tonganoxie, 9-5.
171: Michael Moore, Oak Grove, dec. Ryan Sonderegger, Shawnee Mission East, 5-1.
171: Louis Caputo, Blue Springs, dec. Blake Malloy, Shawnee Heights, 5-0.
189: Taylor Moore, Oak Grove, dec. Neil Cisper, St. Thomas Aquinas, 8-4.
189: Sean Miller, Park Hill, dec. Tyler Gonzales, Shawnee Heights, 2-1.
215: Doug Thompson, Turner, dec. Mark Ellis, Raymore-Peculiar, 13-12.
HVY: Jaron Baston, Blue Springs, maj. dec. Brad Rittinghouse, Bonner Springs, 19-8.

SlamBam
Posted By: FudgeTunnel

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 01:49 PM

Brandon Simpson had surgery on that shoulder last year, midway through the season. This is why he did not go to Fargo last summer and he re-injured that shoulder at the beginning of this season. He was NEVER, at any point, in danger of losing that match. He did not win by 1 point, the score was 9-5. You should know what you're talking about before start typing.

I did not see the ref NOT shake Thompson's hand, but I take your word for it. Maybe he was upset that the KS ref awarded Thompson the reversal CLEARLY after time had expired and that the KS ref would not listen to him when he tried to explain it......or perhaps he was miffed because Ellis was not awarded the nearfall he SHOULD have received when he had Thompson in the headlock just before the "non" reversal. Perhaps he was just embarrassed to be reffing w/ that idiot from KS.

It's so funny to hear KS people cry about officiating. Kansas - the state that has perfected the art of stalling. Give me a break.

You are pathetic.
Posted By: wrestler17105

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 02:01 PM

how about you stay in hickville there fudgepacker i don't apreciate you knocking our style of wrestling when every MO kid i've wrestled has faked an injury at some time or another. that seems to be the only way that they can win. so all of you just quit your crying and stop knocking our style when yours is just to make the KS guy feel bad for you.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrestler17105:
how about you stay in hickville there fudgepacker i don't apreciate you knocking our style of wrestling when every MO kid i've wrestled has faked an injury at some time or another. that seems to be the only way that they can win. so all of you just quit your crying and stop knocking our style when yours is just to make the KS guy feel bad for you.
Now THAT'S funny. Hickville...from a Kansan. Oh boy.

Say "hi" to you sister/wife from all of us Missourians.
Posted By: gutwrench1

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 02:54 PM

Congratulations to all of the Kansas Seniors who participated in the Metro Classic and the coaching staff. Sorry that you were a takedown or two away from wins, especially from 160-189, but you wrestled your butts off and hung in those matches against nationally ranked kids, HS All-Americas. Some of those upper weights were probably the best MO has ever put up against Team KS. Now you know what you need to work on to beat opponents like these at Senior Nationals. Good work, you're closer than you think to becoming All-Americas. Thanks for making it an entertaining dual.
Posted By: wrestler17105

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 03:16 PM

you know that would be funny if i actually had a sister. so you get back to you cousin ok now just shut up and get of of a KANSAS WRESTLING site.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrestler17105:
you know that would be funny if i actually had a sister. so you get back to you cousin ok now just shut up and get of of a KANSAS WRESTLING site.
Nice grammar. I guess we shouldn't expect much from a Kansas high school education. I'm sure you'll enjoy a long career in the custodial engineering services or the fast-food preparation arts.
Posted By: kcfan

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kck_kat:
There was some exceptional wrestling at the Classic this year, but the refereeing would not be descibed in that fashion. If the ref from MO was the ref of the year, then I think all of us KS folks should take up a collection for a MO ref training program. When a ref refuses to shake a wrestlers hand because he didn't like the way a match went, then he should be removed from high school wrestling altogether. I was dumbfounded! In the same match, the wrestler from MO refused to shake hands with his KS opponent or the KS coaches. He packed up soon after his match and walked out of the arena. What lesson did all of the younger wrestlers learn from this match? Then there is the whole "oh my shoulder is hurt" match. The MO wrestler, and I'm trying not to name names here, went down with what looked like a rotator cuff injury. We all felt very badly for him. He decided to continue and as soon as he was down on the mat in a precarious position, he sceamed and they stopped the match again. As soon as the KS wrestler got up, the MO wrestler popped up like nothing was wrong, rolled his shoulder, and was ready to wrestle again. I think this young competitor may have cried wolf in a very obvious way because he was looking at a loss. He was booed VERY loudly and repeatedly. He ended up wininng by one point because his KS opponent did go for the easy mark and crank that shoulder. Both of these matches were very sad displays that I can't remember seeing at the Metro in the past. Let's pick coaches, teams, and refs that want to represent the BEST of both states, not just the best wrestling. A big well done to Corey Bloodgood! You stepped up your game! Keaton Baker's match was a pleasure to watch also! And one more thing.....Congrats to Andreas on your scholarship. You're a great kid and a great wrestler! Do well at Med. school and in life!

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 04:14 PM

I agree with one point in your post, there was some exceptional wrestling. As for the rest, I was dumbfounded after reading it. As a MO fan I feel the kids we had represented our state just fine. As far as how a kid reacts after losing a close match (especially one he feels he should have one) I try to give them a LITTLE slack in how they react immediately following the match. The same goes for the KS wrestler that won when he made the obscene gesture to the MO fans after getting his hand raised in a match that he got thoroughly dominated in. That was a sad display which I’m sure the KS fans didn’t see since his back was to them.

But to suggest that we not pick our best wrestlers and spend time training our refs, I have some suggestions for you. Its not the refs that have dominated this event for the last three years and I know the MO coaches spent a lot of time picking the wrestlers because many of the weights, there were as many as 4 or 5 other wrestlers in the METRO that were just as capable of winning as the ones that were picked and I don’t see this changing the next couple of years with kids like Grahams and Bailey following.

But as long as you’re taking a collection for ref training, I think many fans would gladly accept it after what we see every year at our state tournament.

I would like to congratulate all wrestlers on both sides of the state line. Just being selected to this team is a great accomplishment, win or lose.
Posted By: Retro672

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 05:58 PM

Tunnel of fudge,
I would also like to know why you are talking on this site. i mean come on now, i know you are trying to defend MO but come on you people use injury time like a whore on the corner... thats pathetic, simpson is a great wrestler.. ill give that to him, but on the other hand the only time he did stop the match was when he was getting turned, and therefore to be a good wrestler but to win off injurytime, "is pathetic". Oh and one more thing, your 215 lost... and how he handled the loss was i think a disgrace to Missouri, is that how you guys wrestle in missouri? if it is then "you are Pathetic". and directed to you Tunnel... nobody likes you... nobody, because you are pathetic

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Retro672:
nobody likes you... nobody, because you are pathetic
:(
Posted By: blitzkrieg

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 06:18 PM

In regards to the 160 match where the kid's shoulder was hurt. If in fact this kid's shoulder was operated on and it was that tender during a tough match. Why then did he accept a match that means little to his career? If he had an operation and they had to stop the match not once but twice, why did the MO coaches allow him to continue. By the looks of the team scores they had nothing to gain by allowing him to continue. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Someone made a poor decision on the MO team.
Posted By: TRAVIUS.com

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 06:26 PM

One thing I did notice was that win or loss all the Kansas Kids shook hands with the Missouri coaches... I dont remember the same being true for Missouri.

Honestly I walked into the Classic knowin that Kansas would be beat and honestly it was alot closer than the score reflected. Several kids kids who lost really let the tempo of the match especially Gonzales. He was moving non-stop from bottom. It was a great afternoon and alot of great wrestling. (I didnt proof this so excuse this mistakes we cant all be perfect)
Posted By: TRAVIUS.com

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 06:27 PM

The Missouri coaches were about to pull him off the match.. when he heard this he shook his head no and started jumping up and now and rotating his arm... after that point he arm didnt hurt anymore.... INTERESTING
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 06:31 PM

For the fifth consecutive year, Randy Hinderliter has submitted a complete report on the action at the Metro Classic. Go to http://www.usawks.com/HighSchool/MetroClassic05.htm to read all about this year's action.

Thanks, Randy!!

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 06:32 PM

Very.
Posted By: Scarf

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:11 PM

As to the Missouri wrestlers not shaking hands with the opposing coaches, that is something that we as a State do not do in Missouri. They have been conditioned not to shake hands after individual matches. How many times do you need to shake the opposition's hand. Once before the dual starts during warmups, once after the individual dual match, and finally after the entire dual has been completed. Missouri figured that it all the hand shaking wasn't necessary. In a dual, we shake hands with coaches after the entire dual is over. In tournaments, we shake hands with opposing coaches sometime during the day. Its not required. If you feel that you must shake hands with an opposing coach, you look for a more opportune time than right after a match when the coach is trying to either get another wrestler ready for his match, console a losing wrestler, or critiqueing winning wrestler.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FudgeTunnel:
Nice grammar. I guess we shouldn't expect much from a Kansas high school education. I'm sure you'll enjoy a long career in the custodial engineering services or the fast-food preparation arts.
Didn't the KCMO school district lose its accreditation for a while a few years back? If so, I don't think you have any right to talk.

And also, how old are you? I always figured you were at least out of college and if that's the case then I suggest you grow up a little and stop wasting your time trading verbal barbs with high school kids.

Just a thought.
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:23 PM

"conditioned" not to shake hands...WOW. Strong words. Strong words indeed.
Posted By: RailerMulePanther

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:23 PM

I have been fortunate to be able to see wrestling from both states. I was a pretty successful Kansas wrestling having medaled at the state tournament twice, wrestled DII and now coach in Missouri. Overall Missouri wrestling in the metro area is hands down better than Kansas wrestling. As far as the Kansas wrestling only being a takedown or two away from winning the match...no way. In most of those matches, with the exception of Gonzales, the MO kids were in complete control. I have to say that I was disappointed in Grayson and Simpson having seen them wrestling several times throughout the year last night was no indication as to their true ability. Ellis flat out got screwed. First of all he should have cut him when there was 22 seconds left and get two more take downs. Secondly he never got his near fall on the Peterson, and last there was no reversal. I understand awarding a point for loss of control and taking the match to overtime, but come on when you have one offical saying time was out and is honestly a debatable call; do the right thing and send it into OT, there is no question as to who would have won it then. I will now get off my soap box.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:30 PM

I guess that I should have said, "been instructed not to shake hands."

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:32 PM

RailMulePanther:

Good post. In a couple of those matches the KS kids were down 2 with less than 30 secs to go and they forced shots. I call that a takedown or two away from a win. Giving credit to MO, and respect to KS grapplers.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 07:39 PM

Something I think would be intersting to discuss is the talent of the senior class. I know that MO was loaded with studs this year starting with Briet, Grayson, Simpson, the Moore twins, Caputo and so on. Next year KS with have to look forward to another loaded group including the Graham twins, Bailey, Shaffer and several others. How would you compare this years KS group of seniors to past and future years.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 08:28 PM

Scarf

I’m glad to see you responded to the post about Missouri wrestlers not shaking hands.

I know its something “that we as a state do not do” but it’s not something we as a state agree with. I’ve heard several wrestlers complain about it and as long as every one else does it, I think Missouri should reconsider this position. I’ve heard several comments from other states at interstate and national competitions about this and it does appear to others as a form of bad sportsmanship.

I know we always shook hands in the past and I'm not sure what the thought process was or why this changed.
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 08:36 PM

Some of those matches where the score may have appeared close were not really that close. Especially talking about Moore/Sonderegger, Caputo/Malloy, Moore/Cisper, Grayson/Sprang. Simpson was also cruising to an easy win until he got hurt.

That handshake thing was a rule in Missouri a few years ago until they saw how stupid it was and got rid of it. Ellis from Missouri was ticked and didn't want to accept the decision yet, probably rightfully so, since his coaches were still protesting the outcome. Then Thompson decided to do a little tongue-wagging to the Missouri side, even though he didn't have the energy to walk in a straight line after the match. Talk about class.
Posted By: Harry LaMar

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 09:06 PM

Fantastic event for wrestling! Thanks to all that put it on!

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 09:10 PM

I personally agree with not shaking hands all of the time. As a coach, I'm not trying to be a poor sport, I'm more concerned with my own wrestlers. As for Missouri wrestlers being upset about not shaking hands, I don't see what the big deal is. If they want to shake an opposing coaches hand that bad, what is the problem with seeking out that coach at some other time when it means more. A wrestler who seeks me out in a tournament is going to be remembered for his great sportsmanship more than just another kid in a series of matches shaking my hand. To me, it seems a good way to allow heads to cool after tough matches and allow sportsmanship to be displayed.

I agree that other states can/do view it as unsportsmanlike, but I think it was done with the best intentions. I had to deal with it earlier this year when we wrestled Columbus. Comments came from the stands, but I was able to discuss it with the opposing coaches and explain why our kids were not shaking hands. They understood what was going on, and had no problem with it.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 09:15 PM

I would like to clarify one thing though. I do think that the wrestlers should shake hands with their opponent, win or lose, everytime. A wrestling match is a very intense personal battle between two kids, and as such, I believe that shaking hands is proper between the two contestants. A coach is the coach for the entire dual/tournament. His job isn't done until the last match is over. You don't see coaches shaking hands with each other after every match.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 10:10 PM

Here is an interesting question. If this guy from Missouri was getting turned before he cried wolf, why didn't the referee award two points for imminent near fall? My only conclusions would be 1. The ref didn't know he could award such point 2. The ref didn't think he was actually going to go to his back.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 10:21 PM

Nigel, If you read my account of the action you'll notice did in fact award the 2-point imminent near fall.
Posted By: coach neil

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 10:30 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, and I’m not trying to insinuate that our kids from Kansas participating in this event are by any means poor wrestlers, but I don’t think that we truly fielded our best wrestlers that the state has to offer. This is the Metro Classic, and that includes only kids from a reasonable distance from the Metropolitan area. Again, I might be wrong, but from my understanding of Missouri wrestling, most of the power houses are located in this 75(?) mile distance. Kansas’ power houses are not. I’m really speaking of individuals here and not teams. Ponder this. If we were truly had a battle of the border and we used our best against their best what would the outcome be? I mean no offense to our kids, I’m just being realistic. For instance, take Travis Eden. A good wrestler, and a nice kid (and a better wrestler than his uncle, and Travis you can tell him I said this), but what if we put Ross Taplin on the mat in his stead?

We need to step back and take this event for what it is, a great event for the Metro kids, and leave it at that. It is not a true measuring stick for either Kansas or Missouri wrestling.

Re: Metro Results - 03/09/05 11:34 PM

I guess I missed that part Randy, my appologies.
Posted By: ilander27

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 12:00 AM

coach neil ... is it meant to be a measuring stick of missouri wrestling vs kansas wrestling?? I was never under the pressure that it was. Did it ever occur to you that maybe Missouri doesn't send it's best either? Each side submits wrestlers according to the rules ... nothing more nothing less. Some years Kansas will have the better wrestlers in this area, sometimes Missouri will.

As for the whole Missouri wrestlers not shaking the Kansas coaches hands debate ... i distinctly remember each Missouri wrestler during introductions running over and shaking the coaches hands ... most of the Kansas wrestlers did not ... does this make them poor sports? Nope. So get over it guys ... leave the sour grapes in the trash can.

Randy ... excellent article as usual.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 12:39 AM

I absolutely agree that many of the KS wrestlers did not go over and shake the MO coaches hands at the beginning of the meet. We also commented on that during the meet. I believe when it got up to Neil Cisper, he said "duh" and realized that the MO wrestlers were doing that and they were not and went over to the MO coaches. As big KS wrestling fans, we were dismayed at those who didn't. It didn't reflect well. I'm sure guys were nervous and not thinking, but that does not excuse bad sportsmanship. As for the comments made by a fan on the KS to Simpson after he came off the mat, I too heard those, and I also heard that person apologize to him after he was given some disapproving looks. I think he made them in the heat of the moment and regretted it. However, I was sitting with a wrestler who is about to undergo shoulder surgery and had all the sympathy in the world for Simpson, concerned that he was taking an injury for a match that didn't mean that much in the big scheme of things. The second time he went down, as soon as the match was stopped, he popped up like toast out of a toaster, rolled his shoulder all the way around and was ready to wrestle. It did not pass the smell test! Regarding the whole tourney, in general, we went through the brackets like many others, and knew that KS was not going to come out on top. We went to see some great wrestling and did. We stood and cheered for every match and every wrestler (with the exception of Simpson) because they gave us good wrestling and which side of the state line they came from didn't matter. On the other hand, bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship and the behavior shown by the MO ref, an adult, and one set aside and honored this year as and example to others, was INEXCUSABLE. To all of the competitors, thanks you so much for a wonderful night of competition and I'm sure that fans on both sides of the line wish you all well in the future.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:00 AM

Quote:
[/QUOTE]Didn't the KCMO school district lose its accreditation for a while a few years back? If so, I don't think you have any right to talk.

Exactly when did promote the KCMO school system?

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:05 AM

Ha ha, nice grammar yourself.

And in criticizing the Kansas public school system you were undoubtedly backing the Missouri public school system which is anything but amazing.
Posted By: LoveToWrestle

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:17 AM

I would have loved to see how the dual would have gone if we had people like Taplin, Grater, Wiscombe, Wall, Baldridge, Tucker/Younkin...I think it would have been a much better dual(not saying that it wasn't) and much closer out come
Posted By: Pale Rider

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 02:22 AM

You know,I guess when you get your tail kicked, you've really got to reach for something to gripe about. Here's what I'm hearing:

1) "Those guys over there that just kicked the crap out of us didn't shake hands very well! BAD FORM!!"

2) "That 160 pounder was faking an injury!" Did anyone notice how he was dominating before he got hurt, and how tentative he was after it? One line of reasoning on here has been, "If he was hurt so bad, why didn't he quit wrestling?" Oh, I don't know, maybe he has a little pride? Ever hear of that? He got up the 2nd time and insisted he continue, because he saw his coaches were about to throw in the towel for him. He obviously was not 100%. I doubt if any wrestler from either side would willingly injury default.

3) "Our guys can't win with the rules the way they are, so let's change the rules!" I think the rules are 50 miles from the metro for MO, and 75 from the metro for KS. Here in Missouri, we could go over to St. Louis and pick up some pretty good wrestlers, too, but that's not how it works.

Hey, Missouri's just having a good run, right now. Deal with it. Every dog has its day.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 03:06 AM

whether ks had taplin/wiscombe/grater or not, results would have been the same against grayson/simpson/moore/caputo/moore ... no difference at all.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 04:23 AM

Are you saying Brandon Simpson would have beat Ross Taplin? Because if you are that is probably the most stupid post I've ever read on this forum, and I've been on here for 4 years now.
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 04:36 AM

i really dont think that Simpson could beat Taplin with a healthy shoulder, let alone a hurt one. How about instead of gabbing back and forth about bad refs and fake injuries, we wait until senior nationals. if the kids from both states take care of business early in the tournament, they will meet up and we can see who beats who.
Posted By: NurseKs

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 11:20 AM

What about constructive criticism in making the tournament BETTER? A lot in this post reads like a jr. high school dance gone wrong. Come on...name-calling??? Pffffft. It's an honor to be selected and insinuating anything less or making the excuse the "best" weren't selected disgraces those that competed and, quite frankly, doesn't encourage those selected next year to want to go.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 12:10 PM

simpson ain't going to northern ioa for nothing nd don't judge him on one match ... he'd beat taplin too.
Posted By: jmadden

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 12:19 PM

Having worked and traveled both Kansas and Missouri, I can assure you Kansas is not hickville compared to Missouri. It is not just Southern Missouri that is badly behind times. Especially in government Missouri is presently doing what Ks did back in the dark ages some 20 years ago. Technology, Tolerance, ethics you name it Kansas far surpasses Missouri and is considerably more up to date.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 12:32 PM

A bit of history on Brandon Simpson. He has a 126-6 career record and is a 3-time State Champ.

In 2003 he was the Cadet Greco National Champ in Fargo. And in the same year he placed 3rd in Freestyle. He also placed 3rd in the Brute Adidas Nationals

In 2004 he placed 3rd at the FILA Cadets in Greco. He also was the Southern Plains champ in Freestyle.

Maybe they have crossed paths before or been in the same bracket. Ross Taplin is a good wrestler himself but his National scene accomplishments might be slightly less. Either way, I say that a post stating it would be a good match, is far from stupid.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:07 PM

Quote:
Especially in government Missouri is presently doing what Ks did back in the dark ages some 20 years ago. Technology, Tolerance, ethics you name it Kansas far surpasses Missouri and is considerably more up to date. [/QB]
Please explain what MO govt is doing that is, well, so bad. So far the new governor has trimmed the massive amount of pork and is clearing out the excessive bureaucracy. If that is taking us back in the "dark ages", then so be it. And don't preach to us about tolerance and ethics. I have 2 words for you....Phil Kline. Technology? What are you talking about?
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Especially in government Missouri is presently doing what Ks did back in the dark ages some 20 years ago. Technology, Tolerance, ethics you name it Kansas far surpasses Missouri and is considerably more up to date.
Please explain what MO govt is doing that is, well, so bad. So far the new governor has trimmed the massive amount of pork and is clearing out the excessive bureaucracy. If that is taking us back in the "dark ages", then so be it. And don't preach to us about tolerance and ethics. I have 2 words for you....Phil Kline. Technology? What are you talking about? [/QB]
In fairness, having spent a good deal of time working in Missouri over the last decade, Missouri would have to come FORWARD to the dark ages not back. Have you guys ever heard of road contractors?

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:54 PM

To those of you who think we could sport a better Kansas team if we went further away and win. I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong. Ross Taplin lost to Brandon Simpson this summer in dual meet between an all-star Kansas team that had Cornejo, Baldridge, Northern, Perez, Altman, Cisper, Shumate, Elliott, Fisher, Sonderegger, etc. The dual tournment featured a number of teams from Missouri---Mo West/Team ST. Louis/etc. So the Missouri studs were broken up. Team Kansas placed third.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:56 PM

Why aren't we talking about wrestling? I thought this web site was for wrestling, not about whom has done what in government.
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 01:58 PM

plus, Kansas has better roads.

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 02:43 PM

ilander27

Here is a concept for you it is called reading comprehension. And, I think the word your looking for is impression, and not pressure. Maybe try reading the post a little closer before you make a knee-jerk comment. I believe I said, if we put our best against their best , and neither state sends all of their best wrestlers to this event. I know this for a fact because I have been one of the coaches at this event before and several of my wrestlers have competed in this event, and they were not the best the state had to offer. So, no it is not a true measuring stick for either state’s wrestling programs, so your pressure (impression) is wrong! Neither team is a true reflection of the their state’s prospective programs.

Nigel

No use arguing with ilander27 because he has absolutely no grasp of Kansas wrestling. I might add he is just plain nuts if he thinks the outcome wouldn’t be different with Ross in the lineup.
Posted By: RIP

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 02:50 PM

If you want to use a freestyle dual as an example. Then I suggest you look at the JR. Duals last year. Kansas beat Missouri head to head in greco, and finished higher in both freestyle and greco at the national duel's in Oklahoma. This is a better example of each state's best wrestlers.
Posted By: Justin Wiscombe171

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 02:51 PM

Gutwrench,
I also witnessed Taplin beat Simpson in a folkstyle match at the Brute adidas nationals. Just because he beat him once doesn't mean he will beat him again. Was this dual a freestyle dual? Or was it a Folkstyle dual?

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 09:09 PM

Wiscombe, you must have been hallucinating at Brute last year. At Brute Taplin beat Brester not Simpson in the finals. Simpson was on the other side of the bracket and took third. Simpson is 1-0 over Taplin and who really cares? No need to make stuff up. Click on this site and see for yourself.

http://www.nwimag.com/brute/2004/junior/160.htm
Posted By: Louden Swain

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
To those of you who think we could sport a better Kansas team if we went further away and win. I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong. Ross Taplin lost to Brandon Simpson this summer in dual meet between an all-star Kansas team
OWNED!
Posted By: CoachDeYoe

Re: Metro Results - 03/10/05 10:34 PM

As a poster on this forum and a fan of wrestling I am dismayed to see wrestlers and wrestling fans from each side of the border needling and bickering on such complete ridiculous grounds.

There is a reason wrestling is such an amazing sport, but it doesn't have anything to with state governments. As for most of the people posting on this forum they live where they live due to the job that they have, not due to the government that happens to be controlling where they live at the time. Regionalism and Nationalism are fairly pointless things to argue no matter how proud you are of where you are from.

The reason Missouri has a 50 mile rule and Kansas has a 75 mile rule is completely based on population.

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 12:14 AM

coach neil ... i believe you've been proven wrong ... talk your crap when taplin actually beats him. you're just a typical keyboard warrior who had to flame on typing, grammar, etc ... when you can't debate the actual topic at hand.

if taplin wrestled simpson again ... he would most definitely lose again. as for the rest of the wrestlers you listed ... grayson/moores/caputo would still control those matches as well. good luck next year.

again ... OWNED!
Posted By: cblood

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 01:29 AM

does anyone know where you can order a tape of the event from metro sports. i kno that it doesn't air till friday but if anyone knows it would help
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 03:37 AM

We taped from matside and copies are available in DVD or VHS. VHS are $12, DVD's are 17. Prices include shipping and handling.
Send check, address, and phone number to

Wrestling Video's
12185 South Tallgrass Drive
Olathe, Kansas 66061
913-397-8096

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ilander27:
coach neil ... i believe you've been proven wrong ... talk your crap when taplin actually beats him. you're just a typical keyboard warrior who had to flame on typing, grammar, etc ... when you can't debate the actual topic at hand.

if taplin wrestled simpson again ... he would most definitely lose again. as for the rest of the wrestlers you listed ... grayson/moores/caputo would still control those matches as well. good luck next year.

again ... OWNED!
I think from the accounts in this forum one thing is for sure. If Taplin even gets close to turning Simpson as Starcher did, Simpson will start crying for momma to come and save him.

In all seriousness though, it's easy to SAY he'd beat Taplin as if it's a matter of fact. I wouldn't put any money on it if I were you. The KC MO metro area had a load of studs this year in all grades. Was a very tough year for KS in the Metro Classic.

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 12:03 PM

I hate to tell you kids but freestyle wrestling is far different from folkstyle, if Simpson did beat Ross in a freestyle match, that really has no bearing on a folkstyle match. If you've never wrestled a freestyle match you probably wouldn't understand that. In any case we can conjecture all day about who would beat who, but I imgaine these two will see each other again at some point, and we'll find out who comes out on top this time.

But that reminds me, if this kid Simpson really does have a shoulder injury he probably isn't going to last too long in college, trust me I know shoulder injuries, and even after surgury they tend to be unstable. Plus college kids are going to go right after it if they know about it.

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 12:49 PM

nigel very good point on th shoulder ... simpson has loads of talent ... but is weak in the mind. even knowing this i still believe he'd beat taplin again, any style.

and some of you are just full of excuses. et over it - you just got worked this year and next year could be completely different ... wait ... scratch that ... maybe the year after next

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 03:13 PM

ilander27

Again

I believe I said, if we put our best against their best , and neither state sends all of their best wrestlers to this event. I know this for a fact because I have been one of the coaches at this event before and several of my wrestlers have competed in this event, and they were not the best the state had to offer. So, no it is not a true measuring stick for either state’s wrestling programs, so your pressure (impression) is wrong! Neither team is a true reflection of the their state’s prospective programs.

I believe this was the topic at hand.

Ross Taplin would be one of the best the state had to offer, as would be Grater, Cornejo, Baldridge, etc. I don’t think I mentioned anything about who would win. Although, statistically speaking, Ross Taplin is a bit better than Ross Starcher. But, I concede to your infinite knowledge of this sport because you come from Lawrence, the hotbed of Kansas wrestling. I absolutely know nothing of this sport because I am a mere keyboard warrior. Let us all bow to your supremacy of wrestling knowledge.

Owned by ilander27. Oh, the shame!
Posted By: iFeelFat

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 03:16 PM

May be, but we still have better roads. And a higher average ACT composite score.

The correct wording is SWISH, not "owned"...you're a tool.
Posted By: iFeelFat

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 03:18 PM

Thats in resposnse it ilander, not coach neil

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 03:42 PM

neil you're right ... you've been owned and good of you to admit it. the point of the thread is the metro dual not putting kansas' best against missouri's best. start your own dual for that if you want. simple fact is you guys got worked this year, quit crying about it, it's over. and yes to start in on the spelling and that stuff ... very weak.

ifeelfat ... wrong, it's owned you chode

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 04:22 PM

ilander27

Think do I (ilander27) have a conceptual understanding of sarcasm?

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 06:58 PM

To go old school: ilander27 = D to the izoosh.

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 07:45 PM

Repeating: to those those of you who think we could sport a better Kansas team if we went further away and win. I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong. Ross Taplin lost to Brandon Simpson this summer in dual meet between an all-star Kansas team that had Cornejo, Baldridge, Northern, Perez, Altman, Cisper, Shumate, Elliott, Fisher, Sonderegger, etc. The dual tournment featured a number of teams from Missouri---Mo West/Team ST. Louis/etc. So the Missouri studs were broken up. Team Kansas placed third.
There's no way that an All-Star team from KS beats an All-Star team from MO, not this year.
Posted By: nclayton

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 08:03 PM

I know it is Freestyle but Kansas did place at the 2004 Junior National Duals and Team Missouri did not.
Posted By: P. Pitbull's Old Dog

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 08:04 PM

Man I think some of you have lost all sense of reality and logic, but it sure is darn entertaining reading some of this crazy stuff. Hey any given wrestler on any given day? who knows?

Yes MO has some great wrestlers and so does Kansas and they went at it and MO won. Quit crying and start training harder KS.

I know that Mark Anderson was the official from KS, who was the official from MO? and I would like to hear more on the whole thing that went down and why he would not shake hands with a KS kid?

Coach Peterman

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 08:10 PM

yes you nutless wonder, i know it was sarcasm ... hence the sarcasm in my response. jesus you aren't very bright are you? did you put your helmet on at least before you left the house this morning?

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 08:14 PM

his name is troy brewer and is not liked by very many here in MO. i witnessed him do that at the mo-kan and it was disgraceful. not the first time he has shown poor sportsmanship, another time being when he was a usa state representative at a youth state championships tournament.

Re: Metro Results - 03/11/05 08:16 PM

i suppose i should also note that there may very well be some who DO actually like brewer also.

Re: Metro Results - 03/12/05 03:43 AM

Quote:
Perhaps he was just embarrassed to be reffing w/ that idiot from KS.
Fudge, did you honestly just call Mark Anderson an idiot? Thats treding on some pretty dangerous waters there, Mark is probably one of the most well known and seasoned officials not only in Kansas but several other states as well. I'm almost speechless at this one.

That reminds me, acording to NFHS, no wrestler is required to shake hands with the opposing coach, most Kansas wrestlers do just because we always have, is there a point to it? Who knows I can see this arguement from both sides really, when I coached I required my kids to do it simply as a matter of sportsmanship. Now shaking the opponents hand after the match IS required by NFHS rules, to not do so in unsportsmanlike and can carry a team point penalty
Posted By: Dan the Man

Re: Metro Results - 03/12/05 07:07 AM

Hey guys Mark was NOT the official from Kansas. He and I sat together with our wives and watched the dual. The KS official was Aron Wichman. This has been a pretty good dual in the past so lets move on. There is nothing we can accomplish by calling each other names and insulting one another. We all look pretty classless by doing this. I went to this dual to see some good wrestling, which I did. I also saw some unsportsmanlike conduct not only from the athletes but from the stands as well. This high school season is over lets get going into Greco/Freestyle or start preparing for next season.

Re: Metro Results - 03/12/05 08:01 AM

I was not sure, I just saw his name mentioned above, and the thought of someone calling him an idiot was a shock to me.

Re: Metro Results - 03/12/05 06:03 PM

As Dan the Man correctly stated, Mark was not the official from KS. I saw him sitting in the stands. Aron Wiechman WAS the official, and though not my favorite KS official, at least acted like an adult. Troy Brewer, on the other hand, acted unsportsmanlike and was an embarrassment to high school wrestling. The dual was a great dual, and as in all matches, someone goes home without their hand raised, but no one, and I mean no one, went home a loser! (except for Brewer who lost my respect and the respect of everyone I talked to!) Thanks for a great night to all the wrestlers and I agree with Peterson again, as much as I hate to admit it! lol Train harder, dig deep, and do the best you can! That way you are a winner either way!
Posted By: Merlin Munger

Re: Metro Results - 03/12/05 07:31 PM

Just courious if Brester stuck Simpson. How in the heck did Brester not stick Taplin in like ten seconds. Or did Simpson just get Caught in a freak throw or something.
Posted By: hsamuels

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 04:17 AM

I, like most have been thoroughly entertained by the banter on this forum. But, as for "Simpson dominating Starcher until his shoulder started hurting" I am going to have to disagree. The score was 5-0 in the SECOND PERIOD! Had Simpson not "injured" his shoulder, he would have gone to his back, and the score would have been tied 5-5. In the third period, had the MO state champ not been hurt again, he again would have been turned for possibly another 3 back points. I don't think Simpson was quite as dominant as you might think.
On a lighter note, congrats to Ross Starcher on a wonderful season and career, and to all the KS wrestlers for a great season of wrestling.

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 06:11 AM

simpson as not going to his back and starcher would not have turned him. simpson was dominating him, quit trying to make it sound any different. even after he was "injured" he still couldn't keep him down, simpson got the escape ... and another takedown after that! what a bunch of whiners.

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 08:46 AM

ilander from what I've read from a number of respectable people on this site, including Randy Hinderliter who wrote his anual report, the kid was on his way to his back, and obviously the referee thought so too or he wouldn't have given the 2 points for imminant back points, you have no arguement, it has been confirmed, do yourself a favor and close your mouth.

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 05:07 PM

give me a break there isom and quit your whining liek the rest of them ... even injured he couldn't beat simpson ... you lost ... quit crying and close your mouth
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 05:56 PM

wow, i didnt know explaining imminant back points to someone to correct their mistake was crying. i better check that dictionary again.

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 06:23 PM

no the crying is what has been going on here on this board the past week ... get over it guys. you got worked. starcher got worked. move on! its not good to dwell on it so much and to start resorting to hostility! i mean come on, the whole close your mouth thing??? i thought isom had more composure and class than that. lol

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 06:28 PM

and the imminant back points call is a judgement call ... it doesn't mean he would have definitely been put on their back. i'm glad they gave the two to starcher. but even after that starcher couldn't keep him down, and then got taken down again. you have no argument here. facts are facts, starcher got beat ... soundly.
Posted By: Billy Jack

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 08:03 PM

Who are you ilander Simpson's girlfriend? I just got a chance to see the match, and Simpson was diffently going to his back when he started crying. But thats alright sweetheart you can look at it however you want to.

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 09:38 PM

actually no i'm not, in fact you can find some other comments i've made regarding simpson. the point is you cry babies that do nothing but make excuses, you got your a$$es handed to you and you simply can't accept it. oh ... and simpson wasn't going over ... but you believe it however you want to

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 09:59 PM

Actaully I really have no stake in what happened at that event, as it has been said many times the Metro is no indication of which state has a better wrestling program. In any event ilander you are the only one making a big deal out of it. The referee and many others fans (including some from Missouri) were of the impression that the kid was going to his back, whether or not he would have stayed there is irelavant. The fact that he had to cry his way out of it was enough to lose my respect in the first place. There is no doubt in my mind that Simpson is a great wrestler and that if he were 100% healthy he would be hard for anyone to beat. But here you are in a public forum saying he wasn't going to his back, when its clear that a majority of the people who actaully saw the match thought he was. No one is crying here, all they are saying is what happened, you are the only one not believing it, but I guess we'll never know because SOMEONE had the match stopped.
Posted By: Ex-tong189

Re: Metro Results - 03/13/05 11:43 PM

Well put Mr. Samuels your wrestling knowledge never ceases to amaze me! lol.......Ross is a competitor and wrestles tough, congrats on the great season and career. This forum is funny! 80 people say he was going to his back while 1 says he wasnt....its funny that we can have 94 post over this.......lol!

Re: Metro Results - 03/14/05 01:13 AM

Ex-tong,

maybe ilander is one of those people who still think the world is flat.
Posted By: chieftain

Re: Metro Results - 03/14/05 02:09 AM

Be careful with that world is still flat stuff, Ex-tong189 probably wasnt aware that its actually round.
Posted By: Ex-tong189

Re: Metro Results - 03/14/05 07:36 AM

What the earth isnt flat.......what? What?
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums