Kansas Wrestling

Who is to look good this year?

Posted By: kckhawkwrestler

Who is to look good this year? - 07/24/04 07:11 PM

Who do people have there eyes set on this year, names, weight class and school they wrestle for?
Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/25/04 04:24 AM

Have plenty of good freshman coming this year

Matt Noblett Paola 119
Kevin Callahan Baldwin 119-25
Skip Van Treece Paola 112-19
Ty Caldwell Andale 103
Brett Delich Mill Valley 103 maybe 112
Brent Fischer Andale 119-25
Chaz Lawrence Paola 103
Collin Hase Silver Lake 103
Aaoron Patton Wellsville 103
Kalem Bennett Topeka 103
Maize 103's (Darin Stroot 3rd, Jordon Kellar 1st, John Kellar 1st, Cale Demmel 2nd )All wrestled for this team (Stroot did in 02)

All in All Teams that do good at state will be
123A- no idea Hoxie probably

4a- Andale, Columbus, and Goodland all sound good to me

5a- Turner to repeat almost a shoe in i think

6a- wide open Mannhattan, Goddard, STA, Maize, Emporia and maybe just maybe LHS (lions) will do well I doubt it tho
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/25/04 05:14 AM

What does Scott City have returning? I think 4a you have to have Clay Center in the running as well.

Abilene although they lost Kriegbaum to graduation along with a few other sidekicks return probably the 2005 4a wrestler of the year in Ross Taplin as well as return state runner up Tanner Dawson for the next 2 seasons I believe. They also have the Tischauser boy comming up as a freshman.

Class 5a I always willl put Ark City near the top as well as Salina South.

321A is Norton for me again

6a has a coaching change, but I don't know if it will affect them...I think Manhattan may do well but might have lost some guys if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/25/04 12:20 PM

6a looks like Manhattan again, they had good numbers last year, when shilling was hurt they had another guy that was nearly as good, have quite a lot returning, so I pick them.
5a, Turner may have its hands full with Carrol and Campus, they will have the advantage of having carrol and Campus at each other at the regional.
4a, Scott City. lost their three best placers but have 10 returning state qualifiers, 9 of which scored points, and have miller back with both knees at 215. Goodland lost too much from last year to be a threat until 2006 or so, Colby is down this season, Clay and Abeline are the power that will be knocking on Scott city's door. Columbus will have the advantage of not being at the Goodland regional and will need 10 qulifiers to win.
321a-- Norton and St. Francis. Could be sainty's last chance for a long time. town is just too small.
That's the way I see em.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/26/04 01:28 AM

Paola may be good in 5a also
Posted By: Jordon Best

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/26/04 02:54 AM

I'm sorry to say that Topeka does have one good freshman coming up this year, that would be T.J. Lorson he will be around 171-189. Bennet is okay but not good, he has his hands full this year. Wait until the next season when Zach Reeb gets up to the high school level he will be the one to watch in either 5a for Seaman or 6a for T. high where ever he decides to go.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/26/04 03:01 AM

I forgot about TJ, ya he is pretty Good

There aernt realy anygood freshman coming up in lawrence what about in the topeka area other than the ones already listed.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/26/04 07:30 PM

No T.J. is the only good wrestler from Topeka coming up. Coach Vest and Coach Parks will have to make good wrestlers from the freshman if any come out
Posted By: OLTYMER

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/26/04 09:22 PM

Jordon, you may be short-sighted a bit on your assessment of Topeka kids. Granted TJ will probably be one of the few bigger kids that can come in as a freshman and hold down a bigger spot, he is an exceptional wrestler and good kid but to say he is the only one is a bit light. Washburn Rural has a very good group of freshmen coming up, kids like Smith,McGuire,Deere and others will be a pretty tough group by the time they are Seniors provided they stick together barring injury and that "senior" slump that affects some kids. "wink, wink"
Posted By: lil_chuck59

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/27/04 12:56 AM

Aaron what about winfield the were tough against ark city last year and have alot of returning wrestlers

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/27/04 03:01 AM

What about tough weight classes

5a 103 is going to be stacked
Metzler (if he gets down to weight)
Hansen Turner
Dellich Mill Valley
plus other placers from last year

6a 103 is i think already set Shumate(Bvnw) & Ely
Leavenworth in the finals

wut about other tough classes

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/27/04 03:07 AM

Also imagine if Larry perez decided to go 119 he would get Edgmon from Goddard That would be a match for the ages

Also Rj Neil, Almanger, Woodford, Gentry and Somers (freestate) added and that is an incredibly stacked weight class
Posted By: rocknraider

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/27/04 04:41 AM

119 could prove to be a very interesting weight class, but....

1. R.J. Nill was cutting a lot this yr and could be bumping up to a higher weight class...50/50 chance of him just bumping up one to 119.
2. Doubt Perez would jump up to 119. He went 105 for nationals and im not sure if he was cutting a ton or what but 119 just seems way to heavy for him. 119 would jeapordize a second state championship also. Needless to say, he would not win a title at 19.
3. Somers and Gentry didnt have the greatest of yrs in '03 (could be a result of a just a freakishly stacked weight class at 112), but they r both very solid wrestlers regardless and im hoping they will represent the Sunflower league like gangstas and place high this season.

Chew on that fools.
Posted By: Hawkeye53

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/27/04 11:13 PM

any thoughts on 140 & 145 @ 123A?
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/28/04 12:19 AM

I think that the Lance Roe-Tracy Jordan matchup could be at 145 this year, or maybe Kuhlman from oakley. I am not sure whether Roe and Kuhlman are back or not, but I think they are. If he can get down to weight again this year I would pick Spencer Burns from Cimmarron, he would have certainly been a factor last year but for an appendectomy at totally the wrong time.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/28/04 01:14 AM

Hey oldtymer, I only say that because there are no freshman that are really putting in the time to make themselves good for the next year.
Posted By: OLTYMER

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/28/04 02:21 AM

well wrestling all summer hopefully will help some
there are a few area kids that did national duals, southern plains and kids nationals

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 07/29/04 01:26 AM

I don't know much about Winfield, I know Ark City has a legacy and didn't know who they won or lost to last season. I don't know much about 5a as the nearest 5a schools near me are South and Central out of Salina. Lots of 4a and 3a around here.
Posted By: wrestlerkid

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/03/04 01:00 AM

Who are going to be the hot shots at 112 6A this year?
Posted By: nclayton

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/03/04 02:56 AM

At 6A 112 Perez is the obvious favorite. If RJ Nill goes 112 he is probably the next best.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/03/04 04:03 PM

I thought Schumate was getting bigger, couldn't he maybe move up? If so I'd say he might catch Perez this year. Who knows though.
Posted By: 24/7

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/03/04 07:27 PM

Perez will be the favorite at 112. Nill is too big to get to 112 next year. Shumate just wrestled 98 last week.

Shumate and Ely at 103
Perez at 112.
Nill at 119

Although I heard Aquinas is going to be 5A next year for wrestling. Anybody else heard that? If so Cisper has could be in with Malloy from Heights. I don't know if either can make 171 again. That would change things up a bit.

Twister

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/03/04 09:15 PM

Crazy stuff if STA is going to be 5A... That could really change the dynamics for the regionals for the Johnson County Teams. By the way, the STA team from 103-125 will be stacked,so you will never know who could be where.

-Shumate is teeny, he couldnt be more than 110lbs.
- Lets not forget Sam Madacina from STA. He may not have placed in high school, but took second in kids...

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/03/04 10:28 PM

Ideas on 140, 145 & 152 in 123A?
Posted By: tuffEnuff2

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/04/04 12:03 PM

..thoughts..well

for sainty possibly either Matt Brown @ 140 or Jordan Gienger. Gienger possibly would be 145 as well.
@ 152 will probably will be the older Gienger brother Gabe.

Gabe Smull will probably be @ 160 this year, although there maybe a possibility of dropping to 152...only time will tell
Posted By: mawcoach

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/06/04 06:10 PM

Scarecrow 103- I thought Ty Caldwell lived in Valley Center. In fact, I thought he wrestled for them in 8th grade.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/07/04 06:23 AM

Hawkeye53,

Since you are my cross county comrade, can you tell me how the Railers fair up this year in Herrington? I know they lost a lot of firepower from last years squad but return a few guys that might do well in 3-2-1A

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/07/04 10:26 PM

The BVNW 112 from last year should be pretty good this year for a sophomore.
Posted By: Hit Em Up

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/09/04 12:35 AM

lansing will b oen tough team 2 watch out for...they got tonz of talent on that team

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/09/04 03:17 AM

Mawcoach
I assumed that to but when I talked to him at cadet duals he said andale

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/09/04 03:18 AM

another good wrestler coming up is dylan mumaw Jeff West 103

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/09/04 01:15 PM

Hit em up
I agree lansing will have a good team with both flynns, Grape, and buehler thats a good team like that

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/09/04 09:02 PM

they should all place at state this yr...atleast in the top 3...but we will have some returning qualifiers...and a couple more kids that have the potential to make it state and do sum damage

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 05:24 AM

BVNW's 125lber, forget his name, should turn a few heads. I saw him wrestle John Munyan (5th in '04) really tough, gave him one hell of a match, even if the score didnt reflect that.

Also, Lance Serbousek in my opinion should place...i thought he was a shoe in in '04, but Lucynski of Leavenworth beat him in the semi's....

Simpson, BVNW's 145lber, wrestled Clayton ( 6th in '04) at regionals real close and beat ranked Kellerman at state.

Solid kids on that team and more to come.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 12:45 PM

The BVNW kid that was 125 last year was Taylor Sibala. He lost a close match to Munyan and won his first match at state as a freshman. He is a unbelievable athlete. Time will tell what he weighs this year and who knows what else is out there.

Twister

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 12:47 PM

Also the original post was who is looking good for this year and somehow it shifted to best Freshmen or something. What about any multi state champs coming back????

Twister

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 01:21 PM

Lawrence (as a city) should do well
Predictions
Free State
Hardy 189
Siebert 160 0r 71
Marc Somers 112 or 19
Lhs
Nolan Kellerman 52 maybe 60
Halipan 45 maybe 52
Hussein 30 or 35

if there was 1 lawrence high school we would get in the top 10 maybe 5

Free State are losin alot of good kids(Shoffner, Matt Somers, And Bustamantebut they may be able to regroup

the only notable senior lhs is losing is clayton kellerman but i think lhs is gaining more than losing lots of good quality sophmores

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 01:56 PM

Okay, I meant Sibala then, for some reason I thought he wrestled 112 last year.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 06:04 PM

who is prolly gonna b in the weights between 125-140

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/10/04 06:11 PM

from lansing it will b 125-buehler 130-flynn 135-grape 140-jones...but idk thats how i see it so far
Posted By: spartan21

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/11/04 04:19 PM

I agree that simpson from bvnw is going to be good this year and for people to look out for, he surprised me when he beat kellerman from lawrence at state
Posted By: JJETC

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/12/04 11:09 PM

Levi Younkin- Oakley 2nd, 1st, 1st
Tait Weatherbee- TMP 2nd, 2nd
Dylan Loyd- Saint Francis 2nd, 3rd
Tyler Baker- Hoxie 1st, 4th

All four of these guys were in the same weight last year and are deserving of a state title. These four could vie for a title in any class. We'll have to see who will seperate and who will end up at the same weight. I almost forgot Simon Orozco of Elsworth who was at 130 and is very note worthy and also very tough. 3-2-1a isn't always the most exciting but these guys keep you on the edge of you seats when they meet up in a tournament.
Posted By: iFeelFat

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/13/04 01:23 PM

my girlfriend tells me i look pretty good.

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/14/04 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Hawkeye53,

Since you are my cross county comrade, can you tell me how the Railers fair up this year in Herrington? I know they lost a lot of firepower from last years squad but return a few guys that might do well in 3-2-1A

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/14/04 03:06 PM

Having a bunch of open weight classes last year really hurt the team - hopefully they will have some freshman that are willing to learn the toughest sport there is and join in. I think Scott Gregory will do well. He placed 5th in the kids tournament beating a couple of ranked kids and 1st in the Sunflower games so should be better this year. Also, Brock Pigorsch and Tyson Utech should both do very well. I would look for those three to at least make it to state and hopefully place.
Posted By: kswrfan

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/19/04 06:04 PM

Yes, STA is stacked in the lower weights, but don't forget they have some solid big guys, too, in Freshman 160 Placer Jed Mamie and Junior 171 State Champ Neil Cisper, and some good freshmen coming in this year, too.
Posted By: Butts31

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/23/04 10:36 PM

From what I heard from one of my friends Ty Caldwell moved to Mexico, so he can wrestle down there!
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Who is to look good this year? - 08/26/04 10:20 PM

I do not believe Tyler moved to Mexico, but New Mexico.

It is my understanding Tyler and Boaz Beard moved to wrestle with the Adamson's.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums