Kansas Wrestling

Challenge Ponderosa

Posted By: Parker, CO

Challenge Ponderosa - 04/09/04 05:18 AM

I thought there might be an outside chance that a bunch of you Kansas guys might make a day trip out of this and take up the challenge. Hey, there is $75 involved, that would at least pay for gas.

As an individual, if you can't put together a Kansas all-star team you should at least consider contacting someone to wrestle for one of the Colorado teams being made.

It will be fun and I think there will be some good wrestling.

If you're an awesome Kansas Freestyler it looks like it may be a chance to make some money towards attending cadet/junior nationals if you are MVP of one of the the all-star teams being formed.

As a Ponderosa supporter, I can't say I'm looking forward to Ponderosa being beaten, but I do want them to see the the best competition possible and I know Kansas has some sweet wrestlers. I guess this would basically only make sense for the western Kansas wrestlers considering travel time (Broomfield is North Denver).

http://www.coloradowrestling.com/cgi-bin...orado_Wrestling
Posted By: JhrisCennings

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/09/04 08:57 AM

Ponderosa isn't THAT good. Our All-star team would destroy them.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/09/04 05:43 PM

Here's a chance to prove it. I would love to see an all-star team from Kansas come out and beat up Ponderosa. For once maybe Ponderosa won't have to travel to see another state's best.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/09/04 06:04 PM

Seriously, if you got our best freestylers, like Garcia, Kreigbaum, and Bedore, you would feel some serious pain.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/10/04 04:29 PM

lets do it, i wanna see them beaten

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/10/04 08:09 PM

That's the spirit.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/10/04 10:40 PM

Well someone tell them.
Posted By: wrestlersdad63

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/11/04 03:02 PM

Jhris i saw Ponderosa in person they are that good. There isn't a 160 pounder in Kansas that would beat their 160 pounder also i don't think there was a 125 pounder in Kansas that could beat them. They were also very good at 130 - 119 - 152 although he was just a freshman and i think the 171 pounder was pretty good. Kansas with an all star team could beat them, but no high school team alone could give them a run at all.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/11/04 03:26 PM

I think that we could give them a pretty good dual, better than any other team in Kansas. I know they're good, and could beat any team in Kansas, but an all-star team from Kansas would beat them big time.
Posted By: mtisch

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/11/04 10:48 PM

Who is the High School coach at Parker, Co.?
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 02:27 AM

wrestler dad have you seen Ross Taplin 160 from abilene i bet he would give him a match.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 02:37 AM

Only because he's from Abilene. But yes, I'll admit, Ross could probably beat him, because he's a beast.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 11:58 AM

I bet Kreigbaum could beat their Heavyweight, he's really good too.

But yes, Ross could beat their 160. Their 160 didn't even beat Kromer that badly, and Ross would destroy Kromer.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 01:45 PM

I'm not sure what the Colorado travel rules are but why doesn't Ponderosa come to Newton or one of the other tough KS tournaments?

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 05:04 PM

True.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 06:25 PM

Mtisch, Tim Ottmann is the coach at Ponderosa.

Lancerm, I thought I remembered Rinaldis (Ponderosa 160)almost tech-falling Kromer in the finals at GC where he was voted OW. That's beating him pretty bad!

Sportsfan, Ponderosa travels all over the nation to wrestle including a stop in Kansas (GC), but it would be nice if the tough teams came here instead for once.
Posted By: TheChosenOne

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 06:26 PM

Ponderosa would kill anyone in Kansas!!!!
Posted By: NWKCAT

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 09:13 PM

Tito would beat Taplin. Ponderosa would dominate the Newton tounament.
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 09:37 PM

Is Ponderosa a private school? It seems to me that a school with such an immense travel budget would have to have an incredible amount of funding. If they are a private school around the Denver area, it seems as if they could recruit quite an impressive team. Now, I am not a Colorado-ologist, but I think the population of Denver probably equals or trumps the population of wee Kansas.

Is Ponderosa better than any team in Kansas? Probably, yes. Would they beat an all-star team from the entire state? Of course not.

And why would us poor Kansas schools travel out to Colorado? Mountains are big and hard to climb. I say you guys get in a bus, put it in neutral, and coast to Manhattan.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/12/04 10:41 PM

Coasting to Manhattan. That made me laugh. Ha ha...

Just rent a private jet, that's what my school would do.

And sorry Parker, I thought he only beat him by five or so, but I guess I was wrong. Regardless though, even Zahm beat Kromer by nine and Taplin pinned him in about a minute. I bet Taplin could beat this kid.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 01:12 AM

The 1st team all-stars from any state would probably beat up on Ponderosa. Ponderosa only had one guy on Colorado's 1st team all-state this year, and that was the 160 pounder.

Prant, Ponderosa is a public school.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 01:16 AM

Are they in an affluent district? Do they have open enrollment, a la Olathe schools?

Or are they just that ma-ohny???
Posted By: Nightengale

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 01:25 AM

Someone once told me they were the third richest school district in the country.
Posted By: rocknraider

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 04:35 AM

I was under the impression that Ponderosa was an all you can eat buffet on Quivira St.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 04:37 AM

I think you may be right, rocknraider. I think they're also at some place in Tennessee that gives my mom food poisoning.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 06:44 AM

Parker is an affluent area, but the school district isn't that wealthy. I read that the district spends less per student that any district in the state, which is weird because the county is one of the wealthiest in the nation.

There isn't open enrollment anymore because it got out of hand. Ponderosa is all home-grown at this point though. Max Smith from last year came to Ponderosa for his senior year when his family moved to Parker from Alamosa, but he's the only transfer in the past decade or so.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/13/04 07:29 PM

The entire county's a genetics experiment. The reason they're so rich is because they're paid to have their children genetically engineered to become super-wrestlers.

Cheaters.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/14/04 05:00 AM

Prant-
Sorry to hear about the food poisoning buddy. I ate there on a buffet ticket and ordered a steak in addition. I know I dont have to say it, but I tore that place a new corn hole. It was good times and no salomena.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 06:43 AM

Okay, so if I can't talk a Kansas all-star team into attending this tournament, is there a good 215 and Heavyweight duo who would be interested in filling those weights for a certain team?

Leave Friday after school, I'll find you a place to stay that night, kick some A on Saturday and be home for dinner.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 11:27 AM

Talk to Horinek, he lives close to Colorado. Prant, about the population of Denver, it's about 1/4 the people of Kansas. I think it has around 500,000 people.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 01:19 PM

Parker call Jordan Bedore from Goodland he lives within a couple hundred miles maybe 3 hours he would be a good heavyweight. Also Horinek from Atwood isn't much futher, although his wrestling career maybe over. Bedore would probally know of a good 215 pounder that might come. In case you don't know of him, Jordan is a stud. There would not be any one in Colorado who would beat him.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 01:25 PM

One other thing Parker, 215 in Kansas this year was not that great. Horinek was the best, and the second best 215 pounder got hurt and couldn't wrestle late in the year. He was a sophmore from Scott City - Guy Miller

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 04:55 PM

NWKCAT, we won't even dignify that comment with a response.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 05:15 PM

Yeah deustche-bag.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 05:21 PM

Guy Miller is trash, just like everyone else that wasn't Jeff Horinek, at 215. Even I would have beat him. But that wasn't a response, like Prant mentioned before.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 07:15 PM

I've heard of Bedore and Horinek, and I was matside when Guy Miller got hurt.

Well if anybody knows those guys pass the message along. We do need to fill those weights for May 1, and anybody who wants to make the trip will get a lot of good wrestling.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 07:52 PM

Does anyone know if there is a Garker, CO? If not, there should be.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/16/04 08:50 PM

Prant i would like to know which 215 pounders YOU think were so much better that Guy Miller???

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/17/04 12:17 AM

Chris Jennings
Adam Knipp
Jeff Horinek
Tyler Thoreson
Matt Campbell
Ryan Sponsel
to name a few.

Oh, and me. But I'm out of eligibility.
Posted By: Little Buster

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/17/04 02:17 AM

ok, parkerCO just to put evertying to rest!!!
103: Blake Fisher, Brett Bahe
112: Tristan DeShazer, Tommy Edgmon
119: Ross Devoe, Blayze Bahe
125: Cody Garcia,
130: Jake Kriegbaum, Josh Baldridge
135: Daniel Prater
140: Lukas Zouzas, Joseph Cornejo
145: Sequoya Hill, Danny Grater
152: Niel Erisman
160: Ross Taplin, Ryan Sonderegger
171: Ned Crisper, Blake Malloy
189: Jacob Marrs
215: Chris Jennings
HVW: Jordan Bedore, Tony Lewis
ok, this combonation of wrestlers put into a duel team would beat not only ponderosa but a team of colorados elite wrestlers as well. in fact, i bet that this duel team would be near impossible to beat in the country!!!!!
Posted By: Little Buster

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/17/04 02:19 AM

nuff said
Posted By: dbedore

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/17/04 04:13 AM

Hey Parker Co., Jordan Bedore might be interested in wrestling in one of the open spots. Could you please give more info. Is this freestyle or folkstyle?

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/17/04 06:03 AM

littlebuster, no doubt they would beat Ponderosa. Ponderosa isn't an all star team, but every guy in the lineup is state placer quality which makes them hard to beat. If your talking Ponderosa vs. a state's all star team, there's no question who would win, especially vs. a good wrestling state like Kansas. But Ponderosa would probably win several matches vs. anyone.

Dbedore, click the link at the top of the page to learn a little more. It is a freestyle dual- format tournament. Unfortunately I haven't attended the tournament before, but I would imagine that every team would wrestle every other team so everyone would probably get around 7 matches (hwt. maybe 4-5). I'll try to find out more regarding that.

The teams that will be attending are some of the best in Colorado, so everybody is bound to run into someone tough regardless. I was recently informed by Tim Ottmann (Ponderosa's head coach) that 215 and Hwt. would be open for Ponderosa due to scheduling conflicts, so I'm just keeping my eye out for anyone who could fill those spots.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/19/04 05:29 PM

Hey little buster if all these guys are all that why didn't they win the high school nationals?? I realize that some weren't seniors, but how about the ones that were?? Kansas isn't the hotbed for high school wrestling as you may think. I think Kansas has had 2 high school all-americans the last 2 years that isn't alot. Kansas is in the middle of the pack in high school wrestling.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/19/04 07:19 PM

I believe it was three years ago when Kansas placed in the top 5. The past two years, Kansas has had 3 all-Americans.

While we aren't the greatest wrestling state out there (and no one claimed that we were), you must realize that states like Kansas have 2 million people, whereas Ohio, Pennsylvania, California, etc. have at least four times that. (Heck, even Iowa has 6 million people.) I think pound for pound, Kansas is one of the toughest states in the country.

Now get that anti-Sunflower talk out of this forum.
Posted By: Mike Furches

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/19/04 08:22 PM

Prant is exactly correct here. While there are states that probably have more wrestlers, if the numbers were the same in a population perspective there would be little comparison. In the pound per pound or per capita ratings we have to be among the top 3 or 4 nationally.
Posted By: Spencer Burns

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/20/04 02:42 AM

19. 63.0 CO
19. 63.0 KS

If these are the scores from High School nationals what would be the point in wrestling Ponderosa and not just the whole state of Colorado. Why should a Kansas All-Star team even wrestle just one school instead of the whole state.

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/20/04 03:28 AM

Kansas had about ten more guys than Colorado, and Ohio had a lot more than anyone else.
It's tough to tell anything from the team score at Senior Nationals due to the differential in numbers and the fact that they only score one wrestler per weight.

Two of Colorado's best guys were at the same weight (Hashimoto and Romero 135), and only Romero scored points because he placed 4th and Hashimoto was one match from placing (he went OT with the guy who took 5th in his final match). Hashimoto was the only guy who beat Romero this season. We also had 4 guys at 171, and obviously only one of them scored points.

Also, Colorado's best guy wasn't even at the tournament. Kyle Sand who was an undefeated 4xer had surgery right after state, so he couldn't go. He was a potential finalist, and that would have scored some big points.

I'm not saying Colorado is better, I'm just pointing out how those scores can be misleading. If everyone took all of their guys who were qualified, the tournament would be a heck of a lot better and a much more accurate guage.
Posted By: jse

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/20/04 12:07 PM

A more accurate guage would be Fargo,or Jr.duals in Enid results can be found at the mat .com

Re: Challenge Ponderosa - 04/21/04 02:07 AM

Ive had just about enough of this Colorado talk. So how about that Kansas wrestling?
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums