Kansas Wrestling

Kansas City regionals WEAK

Posted By: acbulldog

Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 05:48 PM

DOES EVERYONE AGREE THAT KANSAS CITY'S REGIONALS ARE REALLY WEAK AND THE COMPETITION THEY WRESTLE IS ALSO, THEY COME INTO STATE WITH 25-0 records and they don't win any matches at state besides turner, let me know what you think.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 06:32 PM

Do you just have a problem with everyone outside of your team in Ark City? We all know that you guys are good, but do you have to bash everyone else? Also who are you/weight/are you even varsity? 6A isn't exactly the strongest class, and everyone that's undefeated coming into state usually is pretty good, not winning a match is pretty unusual, but i'm sure it could happen, keep talking and prove yourself at state not on here

Alex
Posted By: out_there

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 07:37 PM

Ark city is living in the past, we will see what they are made of when they head into Newton. If they finish in the top 5 then they can talk all the trash they want. Until then... be careful of what you say or it might come back to haunt you.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 07:46 PM

no im not bad mouthing everyone thats not ark city, just look at the results at state with the kc area people compared to their records, compare are regional bishop carrol ark city campus kapuan winfield valley center and not sure who else, but by far tuffest regional in the land.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 07:48 PM

Toughest 5A regional in the land, you mean. The toughest regional would have to be either the 4A western Regional or the 3-2-1A western Regional.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 07:49 PM

nope the toughest, not saying 4a isnt tuff it is but 123a give me a break

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:06 PM

321A weak? 4A weak? who overall has more state champs per class? well lets take a look at this...1 St. Francis 100 2. Oberlin 81....man that's a hard choice....come on though 5A has more losing records in the state tournament than 4A & 321A combined, 5A regionals only have around 8 schools total and most brackets have byes in it, i seen a couple brackets last year where kids byed into the semis then faced losing records in the semis, so it's not too hard to figure out where the strength is, not 5A, i'm not saying that all 5A schools are weak but 5A in general. In the two years i've been to 321A regionals 3/4 of all brackets were full and some had pigtails, i was at the 321A regional tournament the year Phillipsburg hosted it, and you can't tell me that was a cake walk, i would much rather have atteneded any 5A regional than the one i did, sure there are more schools at 321A regionals due to more of the schools, but 5A couldn't compare to 321A & 4A in quality depth, there's quality in 5A but not the depth the two classes forementioned have, it's the facts.... not an opinion

also who are you? weight? and are you even varisty?
Posted By: Kansas Super Star

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:09 PM

bye's at state bronco needs to learn how to read a bracket sounds like, and yes your 123a schools have more but most of them kids are getting took off of the farm to wrestle lol, so not really good talent unless you mean goat wrestling or whatever they do there.
Posted By: ijustwrestle

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:12 PM

not saying anything to you "acbulldog" but just cuz a team or reginal is 123a doesnt mean there bad...there are still good kids in there and good teams

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:15 PM

oh and bronco how would you see the brackets for 5a when your in 123a not at the same place genius.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:26 PM

i was talking about at 5A regionals where the byes are, and you can see the regional brackets & state brackets on the internet... and down on the farm? until the city boys step up and can take over as the teams with the most individual state champs talk, until then stay in the city

also we're 4A now...
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kansas Super Star:
bye's at state bronco needs to learn how to read a bracket sounds like, and yes your 123a schools have more but most of them kids are getting took off of the farm to wrestle lol, so not really good talent unless you mean goat wrestling or whatever they do there.
Wow that's ignorant

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:31 PM

the schools producing the most individual state champions are mostly farm towns maybe there's a correlation between the two?

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:35 PM

the city schools your refering to didn't start wrestling till 1950's or 60's so you really can't even compare what the likes of ark city has done 81 individual state champs two 4timers and many 3timers so get some more research under your belt,
Posted By: luvksu

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:36 PM

Kansas super star--brackets are available on line from the KSHSAA--before and after the state tournaments. Also, Bronco wrestler wrestles for Russell (a tongue twister!), a school that is usually one of the largest 3A or smallest 4A schools--therefore, it is quite possible that he has been at Wichtia for state and also at Hays during his HS career.

The area of the state where high school wrestling is ACTUALLY as important as HS basketball and in some schools bigger than basketball is NW Kansas--and there are no 5A or 6A schools there.

As has been stated before on this forum, a greater population will yield the greater PROBABILITY of talented individuals. The fact that a child lives in a metropoltan area (or rural area for that matter) does not automatically mean they are physically superior to all others not of that area.

It is sad that most 5A and 6A brackets at regional tournaments are not full (only 8 man brackets to boot!) and that a 5A or 6A varsity wrestler has NO WORSE than a 50-50 chance of qualifying for the state tournament.

Go to the northwest to take in a tournament; it will do your heart and head some good.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 08:36 PM

and the most ever in a row team wise. wich will never be matched.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/01/05 09:00 PM

thanks luvksu, there isn't too much research to do, it's plain to see that 321A and 4A has more schools thus the talent is spread thinner between teams, not to mention there were over 35 teams alone in hays last year...how many were there in Wichita in the 5A class alone? also when there are fewer schools it's easier to repeat as champs, who has more team championships to their name? a 5/6A school or a 321A school?

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 05:17 AM

lets look @ the top 10 in producing individual state champs

1 Saint Francis 100 321A
2 Tie Arkansas City 81 5A
2 Tie Oberlin 81 321A
4 Norton 76 321A
5 Wichita East 69 6A?
6 Kapaun Mount Carmel 67 5A?
7 Hoxie 65 321A
8 Goodland 55 4A
9 Newton 52 5?
10 Colby 51 4A

so that makes it-
321A- 4
4A- 2
5A- 3
6A- 1

just shows ya some idea where all the power is....
Posted By: Scarecrow_103

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 12:29 PM

I feel like there is no clear cut advantage at being 6a 5a 4a or whatever. It changes almost every year. Look at 6a 103, this year there are 3 kids who placed at Fargo.
Posted By: Mike Church Sr.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 04:18 PM

I sure wish we had grand state!

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 04:51 PM

show were all the power is ark city didn't even strt wrestling till 1960 st francis like 1940 and we still have a better resume team wise, and when's the last time st francis had a state champ 4 years ago ark city at least one every year, and this year they will have at least two so don't tell me where the power is bronco farm boy, aight. and we will see what your 123a will bring at east west duel. that they always do so great at. lol

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 04:56 PM

oh and by the way we won 11 in a row just for were the power is, and we would have done it at least 9 out of them 11 in any division.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 04:56 PM

and probally still be going in 123a..........
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 05:47 PM

Congratulations on using three posts to say what you could have said in one, all while talking yourself up.

It's great that you're in the Ark City school district, but just because you're there doesn't mean YOU are any good. Sure they did great in the past and are decent now, but you had no hand in that so get over it. How about you tell everyone who you are so we know the fact behind all of the **** talking.. If you can say it I'm sure you can back it up.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 07:21 PM

thank you lancer for beating me to the post so i didn't have to say it myself

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 07:53 PM

lancer come on bud your from kc area you guys suck besides turner. Shawnee mission east is that a real school. lol you stud
Posted By: vidar

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 08:07 PM

Being an out of stater I can say that from the outside looking in that it seems to be that the smaller schools are better man per man than the larger ones. It also seems (and feel free to correct me if Im wrong) that the smaller schools are still able to compete and stand a chance against the larger ones, which makes Kansas a national anomaly.

In most other states, with the exception of one or two teams in each state, the smaller ones usually dont stand a chance. The most notable examples are found in states where a change in farm demographics has resulted in the reduction of middle size farms, which in turn has corresponded to a decline in smaller division programs.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 08:17 PM

maybe we should just have a challenge of who talks the most smack on here. it can be Wrestling_112lb vs. acbulldog vs. Jeff Peterson & his cronies. hats off the the peterson clan though, as they have lately been quiet.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 08:44 PM

acbulldog- i am asking you once and for all

1. Who are you
2. What weight do you wrestle
3. Are you even varisty
4. What's your Record

i'm Alex Ryan, 130, 8-0, and yes i'm varisty

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 09:00 PM

So far I think Bronco is winning this debate.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 09:01 PM

So far I think Bronco is winning this debate.

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 09:45 PM

Yeah, Bronco's got my vote as well.

And Shawnee Mission East has been one of the top schools academically in the nation for a long time, which I would take over wrestling any day.

Also, since you didn't end up telling us you're name, I can only assume that you suck at wrestling and are just trying to latch onto Ark City's success to make you look better. It's not working buddy.
Posted By: Dan the Man

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/02/05 11:53 PM

Hey guys if you are going to talk trash to each other please learn how to spell. You spell V-a-r-s-i-t-y not v-a-r-i-s-ty. It makes us wrestlers look even more ignorant than what we really are.
Posted By: Time Stands Still

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/03/05 01:21 AM

I was just reading a post in the College section of this forum titled "Imagine a all Kansas college team". There, almost all the starters were from large schools; nearly half from the KC area. The count of their back-ups proved nearly the same.

Hmmmmmmmmmm! Maybe the best wrestling in Kansas is not in the small schools.

Time Stands Still

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/03/05 03:00 AM

Although I am a little biased, most national programs look to the larger schools in Kansas because of the precident set by the other states where the larger schools are the more prodominant, but also many of the smaller schools in Kansas the wrestlers choose to attend smaller schools as well, such as Matt Guilliand, who chose colby, a four timer, and most people who attend Division I schools are from KC because there are quite a lot of schools in that area and they can come down from Iowa, Michigan, etc. and fly right in and watch tournaments, where they cannot in other parts of the state, i'm not making excuses, but it could be just a choice that the kids who attended smaller schools in High School, chose that way in College as well, also many of the really good kids in Kansas are still here as evident in the Colby, Labette, and Fort Hays programs in which many small school standouts are wrestling, I firmly believe that if a Div. I school either KSU or KU had wrestling you would see many small school kids from 321A and 4A joining Div. I schools, I also believe that many are choosing smaller univeristies and jucos to stay close to home, as did Kory Lira for Fort Hays, he was the #1 ranked 125lbser in the nation a couple years ago and choose Fort Hays i'm guessing because of the location, but again just my opinion

Alex

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/03/05 03:07 AM

I also think that eastern Kansas is more known for producing individual stars rather than full teams of them, predominantly because wrestling's not a big sport around here. Therefore, despite the larger amounts of kids in each school, very few actually give the sport a chance. Hell, I know I didn't until high school. But if you take a look at some of the top collegiate wrestlers from Kansas recently, a lot of them are from the Kansas City area, or at least the Eastern half. Joe Johnston, Justin Dyer, Shawn Bunch, Zach Roberson, Chris and Tyler McCormick...all were from over here. Even Tanner Gardner was from Topeka. Basically my point is that it's not a lack of talent over here, it's just an overall sense of apathy towards wrestling.
Posted By: blitzkrieg

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/03/05 05:08 PM

Since 4A has the same number of schools (64) in it's classification as 5A and 6A, it accounts for more wrestlers competing at that level. There are only a total of 32 wrestlers in 5A and 6A at any one weight class.
Posted By: mamasawn

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/03/05 06:32 PM

It is difficult to compare toughness by using # of state champs when comparing classes. Most of the schools with all the champs, although good programs, had a 10-20 year or more head start when there were alot fewer teams. Also there was no 5a until 1969 and no 6A until 1979. Many of the schools now in 5a-6a may not have had programs or were 4A or 321A in the past.
Regionals are designed by geographic region. Many of the geographic areas of the state tend to have tougher teams close together. I think all the classes 123A thru 6A have regionals that many would consider tough and ones they consider not as tough. Many feel it is an advantage for teams having a weaker regional. This may be true when trying to qualify more athletes. I think it evens out somewhat at state when the #1 or 2 regional placer out of a weak regional meets a tough #3 or 4 placer out of one of the tough regionals in the first round and may get knocked off in the early rounds at state which may actually make it more difficult to medal. The other thing that happens is that when 2 or more tough wrestlers are in the same regionals they are seperated on the state bracket until the later rounds which evens things a bit. The only sad part is when 5 or 6 kids with the ability to medal at state end up in the same regional. This does happen every year, but it is still somewhat rare even in the toughest regionals.
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: Kansas City regionals WEAK - 01/03/05 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancerM:
I also think that eastern Kansas is more known for producing individual stars rather than full teams of them, predominantly because wrestling's not a big sport around here. Therefore, despite the larger amounts of kids in each school, very few actually give the sport a chance. Hell, I know I didn't until high school. But if you take a look at some of the top collegiate wrestlers from Kansas recently, a lot of them are from the Kansas City area, or at least the Eastern half. Joe Johnston, Justin Dyer, Shawn Bunch, Zach Roberson, Chris and Tyler McCormick...all were from over here. Even Tanner Gardner was from Topeka. Basically my point is that it's not a lack of talent over here, it's just an overall sense of apathy towards wrestling.
Very well said Lancer M. That has been my observation at the larger schools, it just isn't "cool" to wrestle, and not as many kids (porportionally) wrestle when they are young.

I think another reason larger colleges recruit wrestlers from the larger schools, especailly the KC area, is the exposure to freestyle tournaments in the summer which allows the college coaches to come watch the wrestlers. On any given weekend in KC you can find a tournament to compete in that is not very far away, where as out west, the tournaments are a lot more spread out. Also freestyle tends to be more popular/emphasised in the east.

Just a thought.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums