Kansas Wrestling

mascot

Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

mascot - 03/07/05 03:38 AM

What school has the best mascot. What school has the worst mascot. What school doesn't even have a mascot.
Posted By: ThreePointBuck

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 03:45 AM

No offense to Scott City, but the Beavers. Come on, that's pretty bad. Same with Pratt, the Greenbacks. Why not just be the frogs. Once again, I really don't want anybody to be offended by this.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 03:51 AM

The Beavers rule, i'd wanna be beaver but instead i'm a bronco

but yea the FROGS isn't exactly the best but it could be worse and be the ligers
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 04:27 AM

What is Clearwaters mascot? A cup of water? BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I crack myself up!
Posted By: dalefish1

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 05:13 AM

Oberlin Red Devils Rule
Posted By: TCarmona

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 02:54 PM

Hesston is the Swathers (Tractor with teeth looking thing)
Posted By: Coach Brown

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 04:13 PM

First off the Fighting Frogs of Pratt are an original mascot, no one else has the same mascot in the enitre US-so leave em be (PHS Class of 94). The term Greenbacks comes from an old football coach and the practice uniform,it is a long and complicated story, but know that people from Pratt get very angry when you bag on their macot!
Also according to David Letterman the #1 worst High School Mascot is the Ft. Collins Colo. Lambkins..yes a baby lamb is their mascot. A friend of mine wrestled at FT. Collion High and said the wrestling mascot is the balcksheep but come on a baby lamb!
As the saying goes around Pratt "Once a Greenback, always a Greenback!"
Coach Brown

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 07:37 PM

Coach Brown didn't you wrestle for FHSU? If you are who I think you are I listend to you poke fun as well.
Posted By: NurseKs

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 08:03 PM

Wow...frog or baby lamb. Tough decision there but I grew up believing I was a "dog"...a Husky. How about instead of "worst" we go with "unusual" because I'm sorry but a frog? Greenbacks is a great name...but associated with a frog?? This is more like trivia. Never knew but now I do.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 08:16 PM

Well Chapman's mascot is the "fighting irish" Its a tiny little leprechaun with his fists upturned, its pathetically funny though.
Posted By: I'm your huckleberry

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 08:17 PM

It is obvious that the best Kansas wrestling mascot is the Indians. St Francis, Hoxie, Leoti, and Manhattan. The Indians have won more State Championships than any other mascot.

Southwest highschool in Nebraska are the Roughriders, I guess they have no undies.

PS I don't want to hear any PC crap about offending anybody. You should be proud that schools want to use these mascots.
Posted By: Gibby

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 08:23 PM

UC-Santa Barbara has the coolest mascot ever - the banana slugs. This creature of distruction can be seen on the shirt of Travolta in the movie "Pulp Fiction." I think they have a pretty good basketball team there as well. I believe we should change the name of the Heavyweight division to the Banana Slug division.

The dumbest mascot would have to be any mascot from a Texas university. Not a fan of Texas, I have to admit.

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 09:11 PM

Newton Railroaders...what do they dress up as during basketball games? Maybe a freight train?! Am I on the right TRACK?... Buahahaha, I'm so full of corny jokes today.
Posted By: We_The_Cocks

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 09:23 PM

Hill City...we are the cocks or ringnecks if you want to be official. Only team in the U.S. with a ringneck as a mascot.
Posted By: NurseKs

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 09:33 PM

Ummmm any question why???

Re: mascot - 03/07/05 09:39 PM

We are actually Fighting Indians down here in Clearwater. Well, we used to be at least, I think we dropped the Fighting term because it offended to many people or some dumb reason like that. And you can add another state title to the name cause we got one in 1993.
Posted By: lmitchell275

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 01:25 AM

At least our mascot (newton) makes sense. You know because we are a train town. Look at some of the other train towns forgetting their roots. DOdge City Red Demons, I mean was their town founded by the Devil. Come on at least stay true to your town.
Posted By: VS Vike coach

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 01:41 AM

Sheldon High School in Iowa (proud hometown of Tom and Terry Brands) has one of my all-time favorites.

They are the Sheldon Orabs. No, not Arabs; Orabs. My college roommate was from Sheldon and I asked him what exactly an "Orab" was. Proudly sporting his black and orange Sheldon High sweatshirt he replied, "Well, look at my shirt."

I didn't get it.

"Look at my shirt."

Still didn't get it.

Pointing the orange lettering he said "Ora-.."

Then to the black material, "...b!"

ORange And Black.

Now THAT is creative!!!!

Special mention goes to Everly High School (before they merged with another school and became Clay Central) who was known as the Cattlefeeders. In the old days, girls' teams were named by adding the suffix "-ettes" to the end of the boys' mascot name. So Everly's 1966 girls' state basketball champs were called the Cattlefeederettes. Gotta love it!
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 02:14 AM

Is there really a team called the Nimrods in Minnesota? if there is that's awesome, I WANNA BE A NIMROD!
Posted By: D. Fairleigh

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 02:14 AM

Ok. i used to think when i first moved to pratt that it was the lamest mascot ever. But i guess it grows on ya cause now im pretty proud of it. Somebody told me this story back in the day and i thought it was cool. If you ever wondered how we got the name Greenbacks, here it is.

back in the day( like 1930's) we were the indians and our colers were red and white. but then the football coach decided that he was tired of having the same mascot as almost all the teams he played. liberal, medicine lodge, lanerd, andale, the list goes on, and on, and on( its not really any supprise that the indian has won the most state titles... theres so freakin many of them) and many of them were red and white( probly two of the most common colers) so he changed the football jerseys to green. And shortly after that somebody started calling them the "greenbacks" in referance to there jerseys. also behind zerger football feild there used to be a creek. and on friday nights in the fall, frogs make alot of noise. it became the trademark for our team. So, the called us the fighting frogs. shortly after this the name was officially changed to the greenbacks and the mascot changed to a frog. causing us much greif from our fellow competitors and rivals. but thats ok, at least we are not like the countless other schools called the indians, or the cowboys, or other overly used mascotts.
Posted By: Coach Brown

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 03:27 AM

I admit if ya can't laugh at yourself you can not laugh at anybody else. Yes, I can make fun of the Greenbacks, I am one! But in my time I was also a labette cardinal, fhsu tiger as a wrestler, I graduated from KSU so I am a wildcat too. As a coach I have been a indian, a bleujay, and a bluejay. It really doen't matter your highschool or your mascot all that matters is you support and love where your at!
After taking my first teaching/coaching postion I am offically a Sabetha Blue Jay as is my family.
Mr. Fairleigh great post I am glad someone knows the story besides me. We also have hot and cold water towers in Pratt. It is a strange town but one of the best to grow up in, miss it everyday.I hope someday when I am back in Pratt visiting my folks we can meet. I also grew up on another great place-a one-way street-the best playground in the world, Champa Street! Once again a weird name!
Coach Brown
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 04:05 AM

I think the Augsville Auggies have the best mascot ever (not sure which state they are from). Some of guys from my school saw them at Fargo and nicknamed someone on our wrestling team Auggie. It stuck, and I seriously think some people actually forgot his real name! To this day I still have to catch myself from calling him Auggie when I see him!
Posted By: Old Boy

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 04:10 AM

Palco Roosters
Kensington Goldbugs
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 12:20 PM

Couple of years ago I was driving through west Texas on a Friday night and turned on the radio and listened to some of the local football games. One town, I can't remember which one, was call the Sandies, short for sandstorm. Ever been through west texas? Seemed pretty appropriate to me.
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Isom:
Well Chapman's mascot is the "fighting irish" Its a tiny little leprechaun with his fists upturned, its pathetically funny though.
I think that is one of the more creative mascots in the state. I remember we used to go to the Paola tournament, and Hickman Mills, Missouri was the Kewpis.
Posted By: Shane Koranda

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 05:15 PM

Don't forget about the Fowler GoldBugs, or the Ellis Rialroaders & Herington Railers (trian towns too), Bucklin Red Aces, Chapparrell Roadrunners, Eureka Tornadoes...
Posted By: Marbla

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 05:33 PM

I know this isn't a mascot, but there was a school at the Bristow Oklahoma tournament from the town "Oolaga Talala Oklahoma".

The Salthawks are the best mascot in the history of mascots.
Posted By: Nate Naasz

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 05:33 PM

Neodesha & Highland are the Bluestreaks (this is a lightning bolt), and will someone tell me what a JR. Blue is from Washburn Rural.
Posted By: Marbla

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 05:35 PM

Washburn University's Ichabods are pretty bad.
Posted By: RJW

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 05:59 PM

I've got a couple of good ones. When I got out of college, I got offered a job at Rocky Ford, CO. The Rocky Ford Meloneers. They wrestle and play basketball in the Melon Dome.

Another great one is a college that I think went bankrupt a few years ago in the middle of the fall semester and is no longer open. I cant remember what the P stood for in there name but they were the P(something) University Skunks. The PU Skunks!!!
Posted By: DOUG MOORE

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 06:51 PM

Bonus points if you can tell me the mascot for Fairbury, Nebr. and what it stands for.
Posted By: Bracket-man

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 07:01 PM

As much as I regret using the word basketball, you can find some pretty unusual teamnames at the NCAA Tournament. I remember the Catamounts and still, to this day, have not a clue what a Tar Heel is.

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 07:24 PM

Of course, had I not grown up in Oklahoma, I'm sure the meaning of "Sooners" wouldn't have been so easy, either.
Posted By: Pups4Ever

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 07:50 PM

Go Caney Valley Bullpups!!!!!!
Posted By: Bobby Bovaird

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 08:10 PM

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate, but this is the word I've heard as I grew up, went to school there, and came back to teach at Washburn Rural.

Back in the day, Washburn High School was affiliated with Washburn University, which was named for a fella by the name of Ichabod Washburn (hence, the mascot of the university, a goofy guy in a top hat and coattails that is supposedly the image of Ichabod Washburn himself). Washburn High School was the Junior Ichabods - we still have that goofy little mascot with the top hat and coattails.

A little while after that, Washburn school district consolidated with the Auburn school district and became Auburn-Washburn. Somewhere in there, the high school changed its location from 19th and Hope in Topeka to 61st and Wanamaker (back then, it was pretty far in the boondocks, hence, the name "Washburn Rural"). The affiliation with the university ended and they changed the name from the Jr. Ichabods to the Jr. Blues, even though the guy looks the same.

Now we have an image (this one is pretty cool looking) of the Jr. Blue painted full-size on our wrestling mat... if you've seen it at our tournament or at one of our duals, it's pretty sweet looking!
Posted By: kanwrman

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 08:28 PM

Fairbuy Jeffs?

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 08:33 PM

Fairbury is in Jefferson county and also there was a minor league baseball team of the same name in the 30's. Had a girlfriend from fairbury once, she was a lady jeff, that scared me a little bit until i was able to make sure what it meant
Posted By: mom4

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 08:41 PM

I graduated from Palco, home of the fighting roosters. I married a guy from Plainville, home of the Cardinals. I spent a lot of time partying in Hill City, home of the Ringnecks. We use to try to get Kensington for our homecoming games because they were the Goldbugs. (easy to make signs and floats). I don't know what is in the water in that part of the state.
Posted By: Jim

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 09:05 PM

Several replies to this I THINK West Elk is the only Patriots in Kansas, and Fairbury is the Jeffs, what is mean I have no idea. Second if you want to see some strange mascot names check this site out.
http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascotlist.html

one of my favorite names is the High School outside Indianapolis the Sparkplugs of Speedway, Indiana

Also I remember back in the 80's Friends Univ had on the side of Garvey Gym their intials and there were several complaints
it was like this down the building
Friends

University
of
Central

Kansas
Posted By: Shane Koranda

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 09:07 PM

CMSU. Home of the Mules and Jennies

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 09:11 PM

Here are some from Texas that make you say WTF:

Kerrville Tivy Antlers
Rocksprings Angores
Robstown Cotton Pickers
Bryan St. Michael Academy Dragon Slayers
Farmersville Fightin' Farmers
Baytown Lee Ganders
Harlingen Marine Military Academy Leathernecks Cisco Loboes
Munday Moguls

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 09:15 PM

Houston Morris Academy Praying Hands
Mason Punchers
Hamlin Pied Pipers
Bonham Purple Warriors

Universal City Randolph Ro-Hawks
Posted By: I'm your huckleberry

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 09:44 PM

We played South Park CO. in football (yes there really is such a School in the town of fairplay) they are the fighting Burrows.
Posted By: GregMann

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 10:04 PM

Scottsdale Junior College in Scottsdale Arizona:

School colors: Lace & Pink
Mascot: The Fighting Artichokes

I KID YOU NOT!!!

This is what happens when the students of the late '60s were allowed to come up with and vote on the school colors and mascot. It was some sort of protest against the military-idustrial complex embodied by intercollegiate team sports--or something like that.
Posted By: Michael Malay

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 10:10 PM

Trego Golden Eagles(purple&gold)
boring
Posted By: Pups4Ever

Re: mascot - 03/08/05 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
Also I remember back in the 80's Friends Univ had on the side of Garvey Gym their intials and there were several complaints
it was like this down the building
Friends

University
of
Central

Kansas
That's an urban legend, it's not true!
Posted By: Michael Malay

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 01:55 AM

Now its just Friends University(FU)
Posted By: Larry Wagner

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 02:14 AM

How about the Big Spring, Texas Steers?

At least that's what I assume their mascot is. It was on the town water tower. Surely it creates lots of opportunities for their opponents to get some digs in.

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 04:19 AM

OK Rosemont University might take the cake they are the ROSEMONSTERS!

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 12:02 PM

not an urban legend I grew up there and have a picture with my best friend standing outside garvey gym with it in the back ground you could see it as you drove by on the by pass
Posted By: DOUG MOORE

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 02:51 PM

Ahhh! Very good Daniel-son. Fairbury is indeed the Jeffs or the Jeffmen as some like to be called. The Jeff comes from the old cartoon Mutt and Jeff.

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 03:28 PM

Thanks coach moore-agi!
Posted By: Wrestling Scholar

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 04:01 PM

A school that had a similar problem like Friends university was Furman university in South Carolina.

They were called the Furman University Christian Knights.

Spell the initials out and you can see why they changed it.

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 04:32 PM

Back in the 70's, there was a company making some money on shirts from the "Sam Houston Institute of Technology". Of course, no such institution existed but didn't stop them from making a profit.
Posted By: Jon Doe

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 04:50 PM

Pretty sure there is a high school in Arizona with a mascot - the "Convicts" - no joke. Major employer in town is a state prison.

I once saw a picture of Arizona state champs and one was dressed in the white and gray striped garb sometimes found in a prison -so I asked why. Fella from Arizona showing me the picture, gave me the story.

Pretty unique.
Posted By: Bobby Bovaird

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 05:17 PM

Not as funny as the Sam Houston bit or the Friends story, but back in college one of our rivals was Mid-America Nazarene College, called MANC. I was told that a few years ago, they changed their name to Mid-America Nazarene University of Religious Education, its acronym spelling out MANURE. Just a little HAAC rivalry humor...
Posted By: Mike Furches

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrestling Scholar:
A school that had a similar problem like Friends university was Furman university in South Carolina.

They were called the Furman University Christian Knights.

Spell the initials out and you can see why they changed it.
Never heard this and I held season tickets to Furman's Football team, A traditional NCAA 1AA power, and basketball team, still holds the record for most points by a player in a NCAA D1 game. Furman is known and has been known for as long as I can remember the Furman University Paladins. I don't know what they were known of as years ago, but seems like I would have heard of that after being there and being involved in their athletic program.

An interesting note is that their school president does lead a cheer at each football and basketball game. It goes, "F.U. 1x, F.U. 2X, F.U. 3x, F.U. all the time." I wish I was making that up but I promise I am not. One of the best places in the country to see a football game.
Posted By: Ron James

Re: mascot - 03/09/05 09:07 PM

Nigel,
I take it you aren't a Notre Dame fan, since they have the same little man as Chapman does.

It was Phillips University in Enid, OK and yes they were the P.U. Skunks. I went to Adams Elementary right across the street from Phillips and we were the "Flying A's" It was literally a letter A with wings.

These are all from Nebraska
Minden Whippets (basically a greyhound)
Ord Chanticleers (it is some fighting chicken)
Gothenburg Sweedes (Sweedish people)
Posted By: DerbyWrestlingCheer

Re: mascot - 03/11/05 05:00 AM

Interesting this should come up. I actually did my senior project this year on unusual college mascots. Weird, I know. About the Banana Slugs, that's actually UC Santa Cruz, not UC Santa Barbara. My personal favorite is Artie the Fighting Artichoke.
Posted By: Brent Lane

Re: mascot - 03/11/05 03:24 PM

PMS---there are a few of them around here in Kansas.
Posted By: Maniac

Re: mascot - 03/11/05 06:14 PM

To D. Fairleigh....sorry man, just gotta do it....you mentioned Lanerd....well the correct spelling is Larned. If your name was Ed....would you want to be called "Erd"? That was MY high school, so just had to correct ya...sorry!
Posted By: Maniac

Re: mascot - 03/11/05 06:15 PM

To D. Fairleigh....sorry man, just gotta do it....you mentioned Lanerd....well the correct spelling is Larned. If your name was Ed....would you want to be called "Erd"? That was MY high school, so just had to correct ya...sorry!
Posted By: D. Fairleigh

Re: mascot - 03/13/05 02:46 AM

My bad maniac. I am not the best speller/proof reader. So is it pernounced larned or larnerd? cause ive always called in larnerd
Posted By: usawrestling

Re: mascot - 03/13/05 04:35 AM

what about the Halfbreeds, Aniak (HS) AK
Posted By: ksmomof4

Re: mascot - 03/13/05 05:23 AM

My hometown was Wahpeton, ND and we were the Wahpeton WOPS. They have since changed the name, it offended those with an Italian heritage.
Posted By: ksmomof4

Re: mascot - 03/13/05 05:25 AM

If I remember right I think Beaver, Oklahoma had an unusual mascot. The Beaver Dusters.

Re: mascot - 06/29/05 03:45 PM

BUUUUUUUUUUmp

Re: mascot - 06/29/05 04:13 PM

That is one heck of a bump.

Re: mascot - 06/29/05 04:17 PM

There were some interesting names at the cadet duals. I don't remember where they were from, but one team was the bad apples. There were some other good ones, but I don't remember them. The Swayz should be able to help me out.
Posted By: AfternoonDelight

Re: mascot - 06/29/05 04:41 PM

the weirdest mascot would have to be the jalepenos

Re: mascot - 06/30/05 12:38 PM

What are you getting at delight

Re: mascot - 06/30/05 03:40 PM

Or the Neverland High School Chomos
Posted By: AfternoonDelight

Re: mascot - 06/30/05 03:50 PM

i am getting at nothing that is the first word that popped into my head so i typed it.
Posted By: Rico_Suave

Re: mascot - 07/01/05 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marbla:
I know this isn't a mascot, but there was a school at the Bristow Oklahoma tournament from the town "Oolaga Talala Oklahoma".
Oolagah is a town and Talala is a town. Talala is not that far from oolagah and not big enough to have a school, so they ship those kids to Oolagah. My cousin just graduated from there. I'm guessin' that the Talala kids wanted to have their name included or somethin..
Posted By: Rico_Suave

Re: mascot - 07/01/05 05:30 AM

I was looking at going to Texas Christian University for college and their mascot is the "horned frog"...I can't say much because I might go there some day

Re: mascot - 07/01/05 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rico_Suave:
Quote:
Originally posted by Marbla:
Oolagah is a town and Talala is a town. Talala is not that far from oolagah and not big enough to have a school, so they ship those kids to Oolagah. My cousin just graduated from there. I'm guessin' that the Talala kids wanted to have their name included or somethin..
We still have a home on Oologah and Nathan used to go to school there. Their nickname is The Mustangs.

Re: mascot - 12/24/06 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Bronco Wrestler
The Beavers rule, i'd wanna be beaver but instead i'm a bronco \:\(

but yea the FROGS isn't exactly the best but it could be worse and be the ligers ;\)

Just looking through some old threads, and Bronco Wrestler, you got your wish. Plus your in Pratt, home of the Greenbacks. Who'd a thunk it 2 years ago?
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: mascot - 12/24/06 10:01 PM

Anyone that has a cougar as its mascot has the best mascot period.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: mascot - 12/25/06 01:01 AM

Nobody had a better mascot than my old Junior College in Dallas...

The Richland Thunderducks! We were purple and green having a duck with a thunderbolt.

Re: mascot - 12/25/06 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Bobby
Anyone that has a cougar as its mascot has the best mascot period.

Ever notice how much a cougar and a panther look alike? I think they are like the same animal.

My High School was the Buccaners, and my college was the Blue Jays/Buccaners. Three pretty good mascots, except for that Blue Jay, he was kind of weird.

I like to follow these college teams now:
The Volunteers
The Golden Hurricane
The Buccaners
and The Purple Paladins

See if you can guess those schools
Posted By: dalefish1

Re: mascot - 12/25/06 04:26 AM

Herr Furches:
Wild and hairy guesses:
1)Volunteers - Tennessee
2)Golden Hurricane - San Diego
3)Buccaners - South Dakota or Maine
4)Purple Paladins - Deleware
PS: Sublette Larks Ho Ho Ho
Posted By: klint deere

Re: mascot - 12/25/06 04:37 AM

golden hurricane=tulsa

Re: mascot - 12/25/06 11:42 AM

got Tennessee Volunteers and Tulsa Golden Hurricane
Posted By: notimer

Re: mascot - 12/28/06 09:19 PM

The University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs is the BEST

and the purple paladins are furman's mascot
Posted By: dLancer

Re: mascot - 12/29/06 05:10 AM

Thunderducks is quite impressive along with the Banana Slugs.

Re: mascot - 12/29/06 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: notimer
The University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs is the BEST

and the purple paladins are furman's mascot

Another one down
Posted By: JSAMSON

Re: mascot - 12/29/06 10:07 PM

Here are some good ones

Pitt State - Gorillas only school in the nation with this mascot
Central Missouri - Mules and the women's sports have a different mascot the Jennies the School with two seperate mascots

Re: mascot - 12/30/06 06:57 AM

The guy that drives the wrestling team at UCO had a son that died in a car crash a year or two ago. His son always wore a Watersmeet Nimrod shirt, and now he wears it to remember his son when he goes on wrestling trips.
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: mascot - 01/02/07 02:48 AM

Swayz-

Deleware is the Blue Hens. I know this because I watched their football team (which has identical uniforms to the University of Michigan for some reason) repeatedly stomp Hofstra...which has the glorious mascot of the "Pride."

Hofstra used to be the "Flying Dutchmen," but changed the mascot to be gender-inclusive when we added women's sports in the 1990s. Bah.

As far as high school mascots--I always thought that the "Lancers" and "Aces" accompanied by baby blue uniforms made for pretty fancy schools...
Posted By: Scooby

Re: mascot - 01/02/07 12:12 PM

Gorillas is a great one but they are not the only school in the nation-maybe the only college- I know Soloman near Salina is also the gorillas

Re: mascot - 01/02/07 03:33 PM

Aardvarks, Oregon Episcopal (HS)
Abes, Lincoln (HS)
Academics, Hillhouse (HS)
Aces, Evansville (Coll)
Acorns, Oakville (HS)
Agates, Two Harbors (HS)
Airedales, Alma (HS)
Aklaqs, James Isabell (HS)
Alices, Lincoln (HS)
Aliens, Hamilton-Lincoln (Coll)
All-Stars, Converse (Coll)
Ambassadors, William Bodine (HS)
Amcats, Anna Maria (Coll)
Anchormen, Puget Sound Christian (Coll)
Andies, Livermore Falls (HS)
Anteaters, California Irvine (Coll)
Antlers, Elkhorn (HS)
Appleknockers, Cobden (HS)
Applemen, Musselman (HS)
Apollos, Sharpstown (HS)
Arabs, Coachella Valley (HS)
Archangels, Lumen Christi (HS)
Archers, Moody Bible (Coll)
Arcs, Charles F. Brush (HS)
Argylls, Madison-Grant (HS)
Armadillos, San Saba (HS)
Armens, Holy Martyrs Armenian (HS)
Artesians, Martinsville (HS)
Artichokes, Scottsdale (Coll)
Athenians, Mt. St. Mary's (Coll)
Atomics, Poplar Springs (HS)
Atom Smashers, Sol C. Johnson (HS)
Atoms, Annandale (HS)
Auctioneers, Mullins (HS)
Auggies, Augsburg (Coll)
Auks, Archmere (HS)
Awesome Blossoms, Blooming Prairie (HS)
Baby Rattlers, FAMU (HS)
Badgers, Wisconsin (Coll)
Bald Eagles, Lock Haven (Coll)
Bambies, St. Hubert (HS)
Banana Slugs, California-Santa Cruz (Coll)
Bantams, Clarkston (HS)
Barbs, DeKalb (HS)
Barristers, John Marshall (HS)
Battlers, Alderson-Broaddus (Coll)
Battlin' Bears, Rocky Mountain (Coll)
Battling Bathers, Mt. Clemens (HS)
Battling Bishops, Ohio Wesleyan (Coll)
Bays, Brimley (HS)
Beacons, Massachusetts-Boston (Coll)
Bearkats, Sam Houston St. (Coll)
Beetdiggers, Jordan (HS)
Behrend Lions, Penn St.-Behrend (Coll)
Belles, Bennett (Coll)
Bellringers, East Hampton (HS)
Berries, Logansport (HS)
Big Green, Dartmouth (Coll)
Big Green Machine, Naples (HS)
Big Macs, Canon-McMillan (HS)
Big Red, Cornell (Coll)
Big Trains, Silver Grove (HS)
Billies, Pleasant Hill (HS)
Billikens, St. Louis (Coll)
Billygoats, Pateros (HS)
Black Diamonds, Sallisaw (HS)
Black Flies, College of the Atlantic (Coll)
Blackjacks, Dawson-Boyd (HS)
Black Knights, U.S. Military Academy (Coll)
Blackshirts, Waukesha South (HS)
Black Tornado, North Medford (HS)
Blazing Trojans, Bloom Township (HS)
Blizzards, Winters (HS)
Blockbusters, Block Yeshiva (HS)
Bloodhounds, Fort Madison (HS)
Blue, Wellesley (Coll)
Blue Blazers, Elkhart Central (HS)
Blueboys, Illinois (Coll)
Bluecats, Coleman (HS)
Blue Darters, Apopka (HS)
Blue Eagles, Magnolia (HS)
Blue Hose, Presbyterian (Coll)
Blue Ponies, Havre (HS)
Blue Streaks, John Carroll (Coll)
Blugolds, Wisconsin-Eau Claire (Coll)
Bobkatz, Moulton (HS)
Bobwhites, Bellows Free Academy (HS)
Boilermakers, Purdue (Coll)
Boll Weevils, Arkansas-Monticello (Coll)
Bombers, Richland (HS)
Bonackers, East Hampton (HS)
Bonnies, St. Bonaventure (Coll)
Bookers, Washington (HS)
Boomers, Toledo (HS)
Borderites, Blaine (HS)
Bowmen, Sherwood (HS)
Boxers, Pacific (Coll)
Brewers, Vassar (Coll)
Briar Jumpers, Somerset (HS)
Brickies, Hobart (HS)
Bridgers, Ambridge (HS)
Bridges, Brooklyn (Coll)
Britons, Albion (Coll)
Broncbusters, Garden City (Coll)
Bruisers, Girls Prep (HS)
Bubblers, Boiling Springs (HS)
Buckaroos, Breckenridge (HS)
Buckeyes, Ohio State (Coll)
Buckskins, Conestoga Valley (HS)
Buffanblu, Punahou (HS)
Builders, Newport News (Coll)
Bulldawgs, Las Cruces (HS)
Bulldoggers, Dewey (HS)
Bullfrogs, Bret Harte (HS)
Bullpups, Gonzaga Prep (HS)
Burgers, Warrensburg (HS)
Burros, Hillsboro (HS)
Burrs, West Philadelphia Catholic (HS)
Bunnies, Benson (HS)
Bushmen, Pine Bush (HS)
Buttons, Central Catholic (HS)
Caballeros, Flowing Wells (HS)
Cahillites, Roman Catholic (HS)
Caimans, Hostos (Coll)
Caissons, Fishburne Military (HS)
Camels, Campbell (Coll)
Campers, Allegany (HS)
Canalmen, Bourne (HS)
Canaries, William Allen (HS)
Canners, Biglerville (HS)
Cannoneers, Pratt (Coll)
Caravan, Mount Carmel (HS)
Cardinal, Stanford (Coll)
Caseys, Red Bank Catholic (HS)
Castle Guards, Washburn (HS)
Catamounts, Vermont (Coll)
Cavers, San Diego (HS)
Caxys, Lake Forest Academy (HS)
Centurions, Centura (HS)
Ceramics, Crooksville (HS)
Champions, Cesar Chavez (HS)
Chancellors, Chatsworth (HS)
Chanticleers, Coastal Carolina (Coll)
Chaparrals, Midland (Coll)
Charging Wildcats, North Little Rock (HS)
Cheesemakers, Tillamook (HS)
Chemics, Midland (HS)
Chesty Lions, Lawrence (HS)
Chipmunks, Archbishop Chapelle (HS)
Chimeras, Willingboro (HS)
Chinooks, Kalama (HS)
Chitwhins, Taholah (HS)
Chix, Zeeland East (HS)
Chokers, Grays Harbor (Coll)
Chucks, Punxsutawney (HS)
Chukars, Treasure Valley (Coll)
Churchmen, Episcopal Academy (HS)
Claim Jumpers, Columbia (Coll)
Clerks, Cardozo (HS)
Clockers, Ashland (HS)
Coalers, Coal City (HS)
Coasters, Paul T. Albert (HS)
Cobbers, Concordia (Coll)
Cobblers, Rapid City Central (HS)
Cogs, Genoa-Kingston (HS)
Colonials, George Washington (Coll)
Colonists, Anaheim (HS)
Columbians, Rainier (HS)
Commodores, Vanderbilt (Coll)
Conchs, Key West (HS)
Conquistadors, Olive Branch (HS)
Continentals, Hamilton (Coll)
Copperheads, Anaconda (HS)
Copper Kings, Calumet (HS)
Cornhuskers, Nebraska (Coll)
Cornjerkers, Hoopeston (HS)
Corsairs, Massachusetts-Dartmouth (Coll)
Cossacks, Sioux Valley (HS)
Cottonpickers, Robstown (HS)
Crabbers, Crisfield (HS)
Crescents, Cabrini (HS)
Crickets, Fall Creek (HS)
Criminals, Yuma (HS)

Re: mascot - 01/03/07 06:55 PM

Amazing...

1.The Yuma Criminals
2. The Grays Harbor Chokers
3. Those Fighting Canaries of William Allen High School.

I think those three beat my Thunderducks of Richland College. My friend is a graduate of the Benson High School Bunnies. They have a fierce bunny on their helmet.
Posted By: LancerLou

Re: mascot - 01/03/07 07:20 PM

How about the Pleasant Hill, MO Roosters? Locals say this was chosen because of a large chicken hatchery in town.

Also, Savannah College of Art & Design Bees (although, I don't think they have any sports teams)
Posted By: LancerLou

Re: mascot - 01/03/07 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Prant Garker
Swayz-

As far as high school mascots--I always thought that the "Lancers" and "Aces" accompanied by baby blue uniforms made for pretty fancy schools...

By the way, Lancer colors are Columbia Blue, black and white.

Re: mascot - 01/03/07 07:51 PM

I'll straighten Swayz out on my Lancers. Now that we are ranked in the top 5 in 6A, there isn't a baby blue kid on the team!

Lancer proud!
Posted By: Devast8r

Re: mascot - 01/05/07 02:35 PM

Best One I ever saw wasn't a High School team, but an Amatuer Hockey Team - The Macon (Ga.) Whoopee! Their Mascot was a Whooping Crane! Seriously! Look it up! In the words of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons (also home of a great mascot - The Springfield Isotopes) "Best. Mascot. Ever."
Posted By: ses_wrestling

Re: mascot - 01/08/07 01:34 PM

I am surprised no one has brought up the over used Trojans. Beloit, Hillsboro, Southeast of Saline, and Tescott just to name a few in our area. I believe that one of the Topeka schools is also the Trojans. Kids always get a chuckle when the Topeka Seaman plays a school with a Trojan mascot.
Posted By: voice of reason

Re: mascot - 01/08/07 03:12 PM

Best I ever heard of, is Hooker Oklahoma, Hooker Horny Toads
Posted By: The_Cards_Rule

Re: mascot - 01/08/07 05:03 PM

St. John's Military School Muleskinners
Pittsburg Dragons
Eureka Tornados
Rose Hill Rockets
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums