Notes-
4 6A wrestlers, 4 5A Wrestlers, 3 4A wrestlers, 2 321A Wrestlers

4 6A Teams, 3 5A teams, 1 4A team, 2 321A Teams
Posted By: kswrestler55

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 03:06 AM

y not bingham at 103?
Posted By: raiderwrestler

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 04:15 AM

is this a "legit" all star team or is this just your guy's opinions. i agree with it mostly but i dont know a few of the people.
Posted By: skabeenie

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 05:14 AM

Nobody good at 152!?! what about Luedke and Smith?? they both wrestled 152 this semester

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 06:25 AM

or how about drew ibarra (STA) or dane hammit (BV)
Posted By: Dalefish

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 02:59 PM

To: Togam123
I don’t know what makes you the Terry Bradshaw (some kind of expert analyst) of Wrestling but I have just three things to say:
1. There may just be one good 152 pounder some where in Kansas – Try Iberra
2. You overlooked another Hoxie kid.
3. At 103 Glen Newbill is the Best ever; just ask him (being facetious)
PS. I know diddly about wrestling, but at least I admit it. Hoxie is top gun team wise.
Posted By: takemedown

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 04:43 PM

It really burns me that Carroll blew everybody out of the water last year and the omly team to give them competition this year is from Oklahoma yet they are not on the list thats fine, it just shows that you know jack about wrestling
Posted By: wrestler36

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 05:12 PM

What about all of the 4A guys at 152? Buck, Taplin,Sharpe,Wiscombe,Metcalf,Johnston. Who do you think the best is out of these.
Posted By: Togam123

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 05:27 PM

What I meant by 152 is no one stands out above the rest in my opinion. Sure there are numerous great wrestlers. But so far, it's hard to tell which one is the best. Lets not get so worked up over an OPINION.
Posted By: rocknraider

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 05:43 PM

i understand what u mean, there is a lot of talent at 152 that seems to be harder to distinguish from the other, its a tough decision..i would go with either hammett, ibarra or wiscombe.
Posted By: Milt Palacio

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/25/02 11:02 PM

I would say ludeke would be the top at 152.
Posted By: Les Brown

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/26/02 03:23 PM

I feel as though Togam has done a pretty good job of selecting the individuals and teams. There are certainly some great individuals to choose from this year, which made his task pretty difficult.

I do feel Eric Luedke's (Colby) first semester performance should qualify him for inclusion at 152 (Luedke placed 3rd as a freshman and 2nd as a soph and junior at 4A state-undefeated this year with a win over Wiscombe). Possibly Kromer from Garden City at 171. And also would enjoy seeing Jordan Bedore of Goodland and Hemmerling square off at 215 (do they both attend the Newton tourney?). (Bedore won 4A state last year at 215 as a soph and placed 3rd in greco and 2nd in freestyle at cadet nationals last year).

As far as teams, go. Its hard to gauge yet, but I think he's awful close. There will be some great tournaments in January that will validate - or nullify - Togam's selections.

The only question I had on team rankings was whether Shawnee Heights had enough guns to rank in the top 10. They had two outstanding individuals at the Colby duals and a few other good ones that will score points in any tournment, but I'm not sure Gonzo's line-up could stick with Norton due to the lack of supporting depth throughout the rest of the weight classes.

Nice job Togam and Good Luck to all.
Posted By: mvfan

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/26/02 08:02 PM

I think the Freshman from DeSoto (Ericsman/spelling?) will dominate this year at 140-145. He easily won the Johnson County Classic. The local paper stated that he beat the Oklahoma State Champion as an 8th grader last year.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/26/02 09:05 PM

eirsman is good, more than good he's really good, but what hurts him the most is that he is only a freshman. he is 13-15 years old and at 145. yes he can beat a vast majority of the kids but i think he may have trouble when he runs into a full grown man that is a 18-19 year old senior. he's technique is good and strength better than you think, but i just think he may have trouble against someone that is much bigger and stronger than he is.
Posted By: KansasStyle

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/27/02 12:25 AM

Give Togam a break. He only did this for fun, to show his opinion, and to see what people think about how these wrestlers and teams have been doing so far this year. Don't tell him he doesn't know anything about wrestling and that he's trying to be some big expert analyst. If he didn't know anything he wouldn't be on this site and wouldn't have made this all-star team. Don't get all excited over one man's opinion just because you may have a different one. We'll see how it all turns out on the 1st of March and then we can talk. Good Job Togam and thanks for giving us something else to talk about!
Posted By: Jhris Cennings

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/27/02 02:49 AM

i think ad mayes of manhattan is the best heavyweight in the state and should be on the list

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/27/02 02:50 AM

i think ad mayes of manhattan is the best heavyweight in the state and should be on the list
Posted By: Kirk Wiscombe_dup1

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/27/02 03:47 AM

I would definately pick Bedore at 215. He is a gentle giant except for when he steps on the mat. I was so impressed with him this summer. And for Eirsman, the kid can go with anyone. I'm looking forward to him wrestling Eden. Should make for a good match up if Eden gets in a little better shape.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/27/02 11:51 AM

hemmerling definitely at 215, no one can touch him

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/27/02 01:33 PM

I've not had the oppoprtunity to see Eirsman and I'd guess its probably unlikely that Eirsman will meet Pyle (Sabetha) or Drennan (Minneapolis) this year.

But Eirsman would have to be awfully talented to be mentioned in the same breath with either of them - especially as a freshman. Pyle's and Drennan's success is well documented and both have been mentioned in national rankings by Intermat at various times during their careers.

Its unfortunate, but there sure are a lot of great match-ups that we'll never get the honor of seeing - Eirsman vs. Pyle/Drennan being one of them.
Posted By: Mike R.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/28/02 04:37 AM

I am still wondering why Eirsman didn't take advantage of the opportunity to wrestle Bogart at 140lbs. That would be a real test, and it is early in the season. I think he may have another opportunity, at the SMS Invitational. According to most reports I have heard the kid does not lose very much, but a friend of mine said he got beat up pretty bad at Tulsa, maybe this last summer. I think the kid can be one of the best and now is the time to sacrifice winning for improving. This is all just practice in prepration for State.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/28/02 05:06 AM

desoto isnt at the SMS, i think you're thinking mill valley. eirsman goes to desoto. mill valley will be there.
Posted By: wrestler 21

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/30/02 06:00 AM

Correct me if im wrong but didnt marcus herrera win state at 119 6A and tyler mccormick got 3rd? Shouldnt marcus be at 125 on this list. He is only 12-0 and beat bowning good.
Posted By: K.C

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/30/02 01:36 PM

125 is stacked statewide with McCormick, Herrera, Baldridge, Cornejo, Mainus, Pratter, Annon, Spillman. These are just some, I know there are more that could wrestle whith these guys. I think your oppinion gonna be based on who you've been watching. There might be 2 losses between all these guys.
Posted By: bigkneepads#2

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/31/02 04:17 PM

I've seen norton wrestle a couple times because my cousin wrestles for them and they deserve more respect than tenth on the team rankings. They should have beat clay center at cc's own tournament if not for a bad call in the 112 consolation finals. Also Eric Johnson should be on the christmas break all-star team at 140, he hasn't been beat since midway through his sophomore season and now he's a senior.
p.s. you were right about 125, but annon is definitely the man there after his trouncing of spillman

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/31/02 04:29 PM

Guess I wouldn't have called Spillman and Annon a trouncing.

Annon scored on two single legs in the first period, but Spillman had battled back and was in deep on an apparent takedown that would have tied the score up, when Annon threw a psuedo-lateral drop from nowhere to score five. Yes it was a five point win, but it was a lot tighter match than the final score. And certainly not a trouncing, in my opinion anyway.

It should be a great rematch at at the Norton Invite in early January.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/31/02 04:40 PM

zouzas and pruser would both annihilate schippers at 135, it would almost be to painful too watch. I guess annon and spillman was kinda close, but it wasn't a "pseudo-lateral drop" and most people wrestle differently when up by 5 against a good wrestler than when they are only up by 1.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/31/02 07:55 PM

Do you have a name for what he threw? Because I sure don't. Kind of invented his own move out of necessity. It had all the appearances of a lateral drop, except for how he hooked it up.

And we'll get to see Schippers, Zouzas and Pruser at Beloit.
Posted By: CHICKEN FEED

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 12/31/02 11:18 PM

justin johnson regins supreme at 152
Posted By: kansasturk

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/01/03 02:28 AM

Erisman is a very talented and expierienced wrestler.. been around a very long time and has wrestled at some of the highest levals there are.Given he is only a freshman he could possibly run into some tight matches at state,BUT he will finish top 3 when its all over. He has been well coached and has seen and been through some wars. Yes he did run into a stud at tulsa last year which last year for him would have been at 15 and under possibly 16 at the time of the tournament quite a jump for a 13 year old at the time.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/01/03 06:41 AM

I think you're right about Zousas being the best, but I don't think that Purser would anhialate or even beat Schippers, you also have Wilderman at 135lbs. who would probably beat both those two.
Posted By: skabeenie

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/01/03 07:29 AM

What happened to cody smith?

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/01/03 08:17 PM

Les Brown, i asked my cousin and he said that they practiced throwing a lateral drop when their opponent had a single leg on numerous occasions and that that is the best place to throw it. Even if it would hav been invented, the truly great wrestlers improvise and do what works for them.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/01/03 11:08 PM

No doubt about, it was a great move, which I have never disputed. And James wrestled a great match, which I also have never disputed. My comment was that I would not have called it a trouncing - as you did.
Posted By: Mike R.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/01/03 11:34 PM

Eirsman looks more mature than most freshman, maybe he is older.
Posted By: wrestlin4life

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/02/03 12:00 AM

No he is a 14 year old freshman.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/02/03 12:25 AM

I mispoke. Sorry. I've said it. Now let's end this petty argument.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/02/03 02:45 AM

no hard feelings here. hope your teams have a great season.
Posted By: wrestling20

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/02/03 05:33 AM

what about jake kreigbaum (sp?) at 112.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 12:53 AM

i think kriegbaum is at 119
Posted By: kswrestler101

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 02:43 AM

BigPin, Pruser will beat Schippers. Pruser won the beloit tourney last year and i believe Schippers was in his bracket. Pruser has a good chance to be undefeated this year and he if he has to walk over Schippers to do that, then he is going to.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 03:19 AM

He might win but I don't think he will walk all over Schippers. It should be a good match! When is the Beloit tourney?
Posted By: Coach Luedke

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 12:28 PM

Look 145lbs. Drennan,Pyle, Eric Luedke, And do not forget about Justin Smith from Dodge City. Trust me I am pretty sure Eric will be at 145 after Christmas. I know the list says Christmas break All star team. Man I would love to get those four guys in a gym throw a mat on the floor and sell tickets. It would be an easy way to make some money. The crowd would love it. There would be some blood and guts wrestling going on that day. The fur would really be flying that is for sure. All four of those kids are great wrestlers. They are all very deserving of state titles.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 01:14 PM

One of the Schippers missed the Beloit tournament last season with an injury - he would have been in Luedke's and Zouzas' weight. The other Schippers placed third - he lost to Luke Wise in the quarterfinals and beat him in the consolation finals.

The Beloit Tournament is Jan 24 & 25
Posted By: Who's Next?

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 06:57 PM

bigkneepads#2 i heard your cousin from norton is pretty good.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/03/03 07:07 PM

i am in no way associated with bigkneepads#3
Posted By: r2d2

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 03:46 AM

last year schippers lost to wise in the quart.finals. wise lost 2 engelbert. englebert lost 2 pruser.

2 years ago, shipper got pinned by pruser in the quart.finals.
Posted By: Brett Shoffner

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 05:27 AM

Here's what I got:

Hutch
Manhattan
Clay Center
Hoxie
Turner
Garden City
Goodland
Ark City
Norton
Shawnee Heights

103-Bingham, Manhattan
112-Kreigbaum, Abilene
119-Gardner, Shawnee Heights
125-Herrera, Emporia
130-Jones, Coffeyville
135-Zouzas, Salina South
140-Bogart, Shawnee Mission South
145-Drennan/Pyle, Minneapolis/Sabetha
152-Hammett, Blue Valley
160-Hart, Shawnee Heights
171-Payne, Paola
189-Strait, Concordia
215-Bedore, Goodland
275-Venegas, Olathe North
Posted By: wrestlerfan4ever

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 05:35 AM

hey r2d2 wise was last years state champion he beat englebert in the state finals last year. just thought i would let you know.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 05:41 AM

hoxie is better than clay center definitely, and most likely the other two. once again, norton is also getting dissed. norton lost to clay center by 7 points at their tournament and they are 6 ranks lower?!? Also, Johnson is #1 at 140. You're right about payne though he's one bad motha.
Posted By: r2d2

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 06:47 AM

wrestlingfan4ever asfar as i can tell pruser only lost 3 matches last year--all to state champs gentry-drennan-allison

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 03:17 PM

Not that it matters - given that we are just three weeks away from letting the guys prove/disprove a lot of our theories on the mat at Beloit - but the Schippers R2D2 is referring to is Jason Schippers who wrestled 135 last year. The Schippers that Togam ranked is his twin brother Matt, who wrestled 130 last season.

The Beloit tourney will be a great one. Not only for all of the match-ups that have already been mentioned, but for team interests too. Hoxie, Clay Center, Manhattan, Abilene, Colby, Beloit, Oberlin..... It'll be a great tournament.

As for Brett's rankings, my money is on Hoxie - but we'll see as three of his top four are at Beloit. I agree with BKP#2 in that Norton is better than they are ranked. And would say that Goodland is likely over-rated in Brett's poll at this stage of the season - especially with a couple of kids out of their line-up. Scott City (not ranked) beat Goodland in the Holiday Classic Duals and has wrestled Hoxie closer than anyone else this year. And Colby beat Scott City in the Colby Duals, without the services of Mainus, Herl or Deibert.

The only individual rankings that I would ask about is how Payne and Kromer of Garden City would come out and also Luedke and Hammett at 152. Have never seen Payne compete, but was very, very impressed with Kromer this year. Here again, am not familiar with Hammett, but Luedke is undefeated and has beaten some tough kids - Wiscombe, Chase Frank (Scott City)....
Posted By: mamasawn

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 04:41 PM

Les:
Hoxie 58 Scott City 15
Scott City open at 103

Hoxie 54 Shawnee Heights 26
Heights open at 103 112
Reedy injured at 152
Posted By: mamasawn

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 04:55 PM

Les:
Kromer and Payne will both be at the Bashor Linwood Bobcat classic at 171.
Along with:
Kyle Fory Baldwin
Kurtis Baylor Columbus
Kyle Frank Lawrence FS
Jason Butler Junction City
Mike Steinmetz Turner
Blake Malloy Shawnee Heights
Jake Weishaar Atchison
I think who ever comes out on top of this bracket will have bragging rights for the best 171lb in the state.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 06:35 PM

Mamasawn -

True Shawnee Heights matched up with Hoxie very well in the dual, but it was Hoxie 36 Scott City 24 at the Goodland Holiday Classic for a margin of victory of 12 points. Scott City was still open at 103 and Speer has yet to wrestle for Scott City at 160.

Scott City won five matches, but more surprisingly kept Hoxie from rolling up bonus points at a lot of weights that Hoxie had won big in at the Colby duals. Just a guess, but I suspect Scott City was in a little better mat shape at Goodland than at Colby (after making a run deep into the 4A football playoffs).

Thanks for the info on 171 at Basehor - that will be a tough one. Please keep us posted as to how that comes out.
Posted By: pi-ablo60

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 06:45 PM

I wrestle w/ Kromer daily in practice, and I've wrestled Payne twice. They're both extremely strong and tough to score on, I think it'd be a great match!

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 08:41 PM

prolly, but i think nathan will come out on top in the end. Also, Hoxie is better than clay center hands down.
Posted By: EJ 145

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 10:08 PM

BigKneepads#2 Who is your cousin from norton... Us norton wrestlers wanna know who it is.

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 10:09 PM

His name is tyler burns, do u know him?
Posted By: blackrider103

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/04/03 11:25 PM

ok what is the crap with shawnee heights being on of the top teams on someones all star list... of course they have some good wrestlers but no were to being an all star team.
Posted By: wrestlerfan4ever

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/05/03 12:51 AM

r2d2 i never stated that wise beat puser. i simply said that wise beat englebert which you have was the other way around that englebert beat wise just correcting you on that.
Posted By: wrestler 21

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/05/03 04:26 AM

Didnt Emporia beat shawnee heights in a dual. Yeah it was only by 1 point but emporia had 3 of there varsity kids gone. I would have emporia on that list before shawnee heights.
Posted By: barry_wrestler_33

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/08/03 09:38 PM

i may be wrong here, but i believe im correct. While you all worship Mr. Bingham (who i think is a great wrestler) i do believe Cody Hamilton undefeated with all pins in 1st period) beat Aaron last year at a tourney. no one gives the kid any credit, i think he should be on a few of these lists
Posted By: jcat112

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/08/03 11:04 PM

has DeVoe and Hamilton not wrestled yet??

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/09/03 02:47 AM

not yet.
Posted By: jcat112

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/09/03 12:13 PM

barry_wrestler_33 who are u anywayz...every topic u have posted about is about cody hamilton..im startin to wonder and he gets recognition thats why he is ranked 2nd in state..because he hasn't beat DeVoe yet

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/10/03 02:39 AM

my name is John Pollack, im a freshman.
Posted By: Quarreem Santangelo

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/10/03 03:23 PM

raiderwrestler, what other teams are at SMS Invit?
Posted By: lyonsfan

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/14/03 07:14 PM

All of you obviously don't know much about exteme north east kansas and effingham. no one mentions lyons who was at 215 and now 189. so far this year he has not had much competition, even in nebraska. give him a look, he will be at the bobcat.
Posted By: dbedore

Re: Christmas Break All Star Team - 01/14/03 10:47 PM

Lyons is a real contender for the state title at 215 or 189. The question is who are the kids that are going to challenge in either class. I'm not saying that he has won it yet, just saying somebody is going to have a real tough time trying to take it from him.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums