Kansas Wrestling

You make the call - watch video

Posted By: smokeycabin

You make the call - watch video - 02/10/12 01:56 PM

Watch this video of a recent college dual between Ohio State and Michigan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88lKtCpwDfs

174 lbs
Re: Zeerip vs. Heflin: Olson responds

skikayaker wrote:Yes, and the funny thing is, he didn't say he heard it. He said, "the whistle blew". If he did, he wouldn't be arguing for a reversal like his hand motion, and the Michigan website both clearly indicate. He would have been screaming, whistle, and argued only for an escape if that.

Start the video around 3:10:
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/59445 ... r-Michigan

compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88lKtCpwDfs

Ryan could just as easily have been arguing that there was a reversal, instead of an escape and a takedown. If so, his rationale may have been that there was an early whistle within a second or two of the reversal. He makes the reversal sign within 5 or 6 seconds of the match ending and right after that (at about :41 on the video), I seem to hear him saying, "I'm confused...what?"

What do you guys hear, if anything, between :40 and :45 on the below?
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/10/12 02:07 PM

The way I saw it -

1 escape 2 takedown

or it could have been

2 reversal Michigan
1 escape - ohio state
2 takedown michigan

I did not see just 1 escape for michigan
Posted By: S McFee

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/10/12 02:30 PM

I think Cody Olson needs to go to one of Will's officiating classes!

Why have the side official if you won't listen to him?

Sam McFee
Posted By: L.Geyer

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/10/12 02:49 PM

WOW!! next time any of us think that the official on the mat we were coaching blew a call, just watch this video, and we should feel better, as that was brutal.
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/11/12 10:22 PM

college officials are usually much better at allowing reaction time. wow. rough.

i would say
2 reversal- michigan
Posted By: Chase

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/16/12 12:13 AM

That was pretty darn brutal, after review of the video I would say the proper call should have been 1 escape Michigan, then 2 takedown michigan.. But I could see how the ref could have given just a 2 reversal with how fast it happened. But just one escape given was just plain blasphemy
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/16/12 01:11 AM

i thought maybe it was an airline commercial and they would zoom in on the head referee's face and say........"wanna get away?"
Posted By: lazyman_1

Re: You make the call - watch video - 02/16/12 01:25 PM

The head official obviously has a brain fart and needs a second opinion and the 2nd official can't give it. You almost have to blame the 2nd ref in this situation. The head official is trying to make the right call but with the feeback from the 2nd official only gives the one for escape.

This is something I would like to see high school official's doing more of. Confirming close points with the other official on the mat if there is one (Obviously does not work in this case).

I can see where Michigan could have gotten 1 and 2 or just 2. Could go either way, no bad call on that end.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums