Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brandon Smith #5976 03/21/04 05:06 PM
R
Rob Vinson Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What happened to Brandon I didn't read his name in the results.

Re: Brandon Smith #5977 03/21/04 05:30 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Did Smith participate at District II? If so, what age and weight!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Brandon Smith #5978 03/21/04 05:46 PM
I
illegalhold Offline
I
What i heard was that Brandon Smith of Turner hurt his knee, he did not participate in the District I tournament at 150,,

Re: Brandon Smith #5979 03/21/04 07:29 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
Rumors are funny. I heard Brandon's baseball coach (varsity, I heard) told him it was time for baseball season now and no more wrestling. Don't know if what I heard is any more or less true than illegalhold.

Re: Brandon Smith #5980 03/21/04 08:05 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
A Turner wrestler told me that his HS baseball coach had a mandatory practice on the same day as districts.

Re: Brandon Smith #5981 03/21/04 10:07 PM
H
helloeverybody Offline
H
i heard the same about a baseball practice

Re: Brandon Smith #5982 03/21/04 11:01 PM
fris kitzgerald Offline
me too

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Brandon Smith #5983 03/22/04 02:57 PM
B
Brett Shoffner Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Kit Harris:
A Turner wrestler told me that his HS baseball coach had a mandatory practice on the same day as districts.
That's rediculous that Brandon had to make that choice.

and I don't think I spelled rediculous right.

Re: Brandon Smith #5984 03/22/04 02:58 PM
fris kitzgerald Offline
nope u didn't its ridiculous but it don't matter spelling sucks

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Brandon Smith #5985 03/22/04 03:00 PM
B
Brett Shoffner Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by fris kitzgerald:
nope u didn't its ridiculous but it don't matter spelling sucks
good call.

Re: Brandon Smith #5986 03/22/04 08:44 PM
M
mtisch Offline
M
I would say that a baseball coach that is that demanding and uncooperative isn't worth playing any sport for. When a kid has a chance to win a State Championship in another sport he should have the chance to participate without any problems about getting started in another team sport that has several months to run. I think if the baseball coach at Turner is that kind of a low character individual, the school should take some disciplinary action against him or dismiss him. That really sucks.

Re: Brandon Smith #5987 03/22/04 09:05 PM
fris kitzgerald Offline
well u gotta look at it too that high school is over and if he wants to be on the high school team for baseball he might need to show his dedication to that sport now not kids wrestling

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Brandon Smith #5988 03/23/04 01:58 AM
P
piner Offline
P
I think that the coach just needs to realize this is a huge tournament for him n give him a littttle slack and let him miss a day.

Re: Brandon Smith #5989 03/23/04 02:09 AM
C
Cathy Offline
C
Brandon is playing baseball. He made the comittment. Yes, he did have a mandatory practice and there will be another the weekend of State. Therefore, we decided not to go to Districts because if he had placed, someone else would have missed out on the opportunity to go.

I can't say that I agree with the coach, but I do understand that HS Wrestling is over. I, as a parent of this sport for many years, have a hard time believing he didn't finish this year because in Brandon's case he had the possibility of being a 6X Kids State Champion if he wrestled thru to 16U.

Unfortunately, a choice had to be made. Maybe we'll be back next year. If not, he has accomplished alot in Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa and 2nd at Reno! I am very proud of him (as if you couldn't tell).
Good Luck to everyone going to State!

Re: Brandon Smith #5990 03/23/04 03:28 AM
M
mtisch Offline
M
My son thinks Brandon is a really good wrestler. He watched him wrestle at the Liberty Nationals a year ago and just marveled at how good he was. He was watching for him at state in High School this year and we would like to express our respect for his great ability. I just think it is a shame that he can not compete this year. He had some great competition this year in his bracket and I think it would have been a fantastic bracket to watch this year. I hope he does well in baseball, even if a coach like that doesn't deserve a quality athlete like that because he is such a low-life idiot for making such a demand on a great young kid like Brandon. I think that baseball coach should be ashamed of himself and the High School should be ashamed for sure. Because if Higher Education is suppose to be a worthwhile endeavor, then those that teach it should conduct themselves with sensible behavior which was obviously not a quality of Turner HS and this coach.

Re: Brandon Smith #5991 03/23/04 04:10 AM
C
Cathy Offline
C
Thank you for the compliments. Although Brandon didn't wrestle at Districts, my family went to watch and we may end up driving up to Topeka to watch State.

Our wrestling program at Turner HS was a great success this year. That is because of dedicated coaches and our school Principal, Mr. Voth was at most of the tournaments and supported us. The boys are a great group of athletes and their coaches created a bond with and between them. They encourged them to do the best they could as an individual and a team and believed they could bring home the State Title and they did! A first in any sport at THS.

Going from kids to HS was a big adjustment. Being a Freshman and wrestling on Varsity against mostly Juniors and Seniors is a big adjustment physically and mentally. It was rough, but Brandon placed 6th in 5A State in 135.

We were looking forward to going through kids in the years to come. If someone had told me we wouldn't have been there this time last year, I would have never believed it. Hopefully, next year we will return.

As in anything in life, we must take the good with the bad. The luck just wasn't in the cards this year. I'm sure the baseball coach feels he has a valid reason for his opinion/decision. This may not seem fair (and I may not agree with the coach on this one), but Turner as a whole is a good school with several good teachers who do care about the kids.

Thanks again and good luck to Marvio at State!!!!

Re: Brandon Smith #5992 03/23/04 06:35 PM
M
mtisch Offline
M
Thanks for the Good Luck wish. He will need it.
We know and respect several wrestlers at 14U 150 and he has wrestled some of them. He thought it was a really competitive and challenging bracket, and was anxious to watch it. Marvio is heavier this year and doesn't know the kids in his bracket. Most of his familiar opponents are at lower weights. We will have to go through that very tough adjustment from middle school to high school next year. He will miss watching Brandon compete at 150. I actually had told Marvio that I heard Brandon was going to be at 155. I wanted him to have a target that he was familiar with to work and improve towards, and I know how much respect he has for Brandon. Unfortunately, it didn't take too long before someone else told him that Brandon was at 150.

Re: Brandon Smith #5993 03/23/04 09:05 PM
S
superiorsteve Offline
S
mtisch

I know brandon ..... very fine young man!
I know the turner baseball coach ..... very fine man!

You would do well to speak only of what you know.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching brandon play whatever he chooses ...... not everyone is talented enough to have to make choices ...... Good Game to Party Steve! You need to work on your ping-pong though!

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"
Re: Brandon Smith #5994 03/23/04 10:18 PM
M
mtisch Offline
M
I was judging actions. I don't have to know the man to understand how low his character is...his actions spoke for that...superiorsteve...duh!

Re: Brandon Smith #5995 03/24/04 03:59 AM
S
superiorsteve Offline
S
Please tell me you're joking .... seriously, read your post outloud .... is this really what you meant? ..... if so, you must believe that ignorance is now a virtue! I thought that mentality was reserved for Jerry Springer guests. I'm not impressed with what you believe you "don't have to know" .... it is obviously more than you DO know ..... equally obvious is that you do not, and probably never have coached a sport at the scholastic level ..... I support the decision Brandon made to play baseball .... and I support his coach, a man of considerable integrity ..... I'll be at the field to watch and cheer the Bears on to victory ...... like many of our fans, I suppport the TEAM which includes players, coaches and managers .....
but Brandon .... if you ever want to be a world-class ping-pong player, you're gonna have to make a decision ..... probably gonna have to give up football, wrestling and baseball! .... wait! not football or wrestling! maybe school! .... nah well ... gotta go ... gettin low on character ....DUH!? (that kills me .... it is so not a good game!)

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 188 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)