Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestlingmom] #103955 03/02/07 03:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

sta sta sta
sounds like the brady bunch
and Sta is the Marsha of Kansas wrestling with all those brides maids this year.
Let them fund and run their own private league and State tournament.

Last edited by Troll; 03/02/07 04:01 PM.
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Marbla] #103972 03/02/07 04:04 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: Marbla
 Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

Undeniable evidence? Name one fact about evolution. You will find that it's anti-science. Everything that we observe on this earth devolves. The law of entropy alone proves that evolution is an inverted fantasy.

By bringing up entropy, I will assume that you are simply referring to the second law of thermodynamics.

The usual anti-evolution argument that abuses the second law usually says something like "Everything tends toward increasing entropy (randomness and disorder). Evolution of life involves the development of great complexity and order. Therefore, evolution is impossible by the second law of thermodynamics." While it sounds simple, there are major flaws in this argument that render it worthless.

It is only in isolated systems that entropy must increase. Systems that can exchange energy with their surroundings have no such restriction. For example, water can freeze into ice (becoming more ordered and decreasing its entropy) by giving up heat to its surroundings (this increases the entropy of the surroundings, of course). In the case of the Earth, the Sun is a major source of energy, and the Earth also radiates energy into space. One consequence of thermodynamics is that, when energy comes from a "hot" source (like the Sun) and is output to a "cold" reservoir (like space), it can be used to do work, which means that "complexity" or "order" can be produced. The main point is that, for a non-isolated system, an increase in "complexity" (to the extent one can connect that concept with the thermodynamic entropy, which is far from straightforward for living creatures) does not necessarily indicate a violation of the 2nd law. A good example is the development of a human fetus into an adult; this is the production of a more thermodynamically complex system but involves no violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

That is from an expert of molecular thermodynamic's website , because he could put it into much easier words than I can (he also knows a whole lot more than I) He also happens to be a devout christian.

To touch more on Evolution as a theory. A common argument by proponents on creationism and intelligent design is that Evolution is JUST a theory - and this is true. If you are skeptical by nature, unfamiliar with the terminology of science, and unaware of the overwhelming evidence, you might even be tempted to say that it's "just" a theory. In the same sense, relativity as described by Albert Einstein is "just" a theory. The notion that Earth orbits around the sun rather than vice versa, offered by Copernicus in 1543, is a theory. Continental drift is a theory. The existence, structure, and dynamics of atoms? Atomic theory. Even electricity is a theoretical construct, involving electrons, which are tiny units of charged mass that no one has ever seen. Each of these theories is an explanation that has been confirmed to such a degree, by observation and experiment, that knowledgeable experts accept it as fact. That's what scientists mean when they talk about a theory: not a dreamy and unreliable speculation, but an explanatory statement that fits the evidence.

That is a common and often refuted answer.

The entropy law applies to open systems as well as isolated systems. This is why no machine or process is 100 percent efficient and why perpetual motion machines are impossible. This is why everything eventually wears out, runs down and dies.

Even those systems which seem to show increasing order for a time eventually lose out to the principle of decay. The crystal finally disintegrates, the adult finally dies, the population eventually stabilizes and finally disappears, the species becomes extinct, even great civilizations sooner or later perish as the result of outside conquest or famine or, perhaps, a nuclear holocaust. Thus, every apparent increase of order and complexity is, at best, only local and temporary, and at the cost of greater disorder to the environment from which it extracts its ephemeral ordering energy.

In other words, The law of entropy teaches that the net direction of the universe is always downward towards greater disorder and chaos -- not greater order or complexity, REGARDLESS of an open or closed system.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Chief Renegade] #103980 03/02/07 04:45 PM
N
Nail Em Offline
N
Troll, keep in mind that the families that choose to send their kids to Catholic school's are paying the same taxes to fund public school's as you do. The only benifit they recieve from these tax dollars is the hope that they may educate someone like yourself. Thanks very much for letting us use our/your athletic facilitys.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Nail Em] #103981 03/02/07 04:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you very much.
I guess that I owe you some Icecream from DQ.
Oh yeah hiptobecool said he was buying so I guess you can collect from them. So back to the bridge I go.

Last edited by Troll; 03/02/07 05:32 PM.
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestle007] #104027 03/02/07 10:44 PM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
Im not against evolution I just dont believe that it should be the only theory taught in schools. My generation has evolved in height compared to my grandparents generation. There are more 6 foot idividuals walking around the earth by ratio than ever before. They say we evolved from monkeys into humans, where is that middle link? There is not one. So how can they be for sure that we evolved from them? They can't! They cannot prove the big bang theory. How did all this matter just happen to gather and form this perfect atmosphere for life. And where did the first life come from. You can not tell me the mitocondria just happened by some freak accident to take form. Why cant they put a sentense in text books that says some theorist believe that some happenings are to complex to just happen and took a superior being to create. If kids do not believe in it they will just dismiss it. I just think teaching one theory and not the other is wrong when there are other theories out there to explain them.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #104137 03/04/07 07:11 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
I just had to weigh in on this on.

Evolution:
I don't think evolution is anti-religous. I think religion is just being anti-scientific. I'm a Christian, and in my opinion its hypocritical to pick and choose your science. Should we also exclude the theory of gravity from our schools. Christian's enjoy, use and benefit from the millions of developments and inventions from the scientific process. A good example would be the communication and info we exchange on this internet. Why should we celebrate the things science awards us, but deny the things we don't agree with.

The creationism theory (if you would call it a theory) should be taught in church. I don't disagree with it. Evolution is science and belongs in schools. Its there to be studied, critized and dissected. I'm not quoting verse, but a big concept in the new testament is to seek out truth. We shouldn't reject evolution because it doesn't fit your strict literal interpretation of the bible.

Now my opinion on STA wrestling. They are definitively the best team in Kansas this year and deserving of the state championship. Do they recruit? I have to say no, at least until I see some real tangible written evidence that they do recruit. Nobody has produced this evidence, so people should watch what they say about them.

Do they need to recruit? Probably not. Success builds success, and success is a good and legal recruiter.
And being a private school, they have a natural advantage over public shools. You're in denial if you don't believe that.
A lot of parents will send there kid to go there just to have a chance to be a part of a state champion and to get good coaching.

I'll put it this way. If I had a top notch eighth grader and let's say I lived in a Johnson county school district were most of it's high schools were extremely weak at wrestling. I won't mention names but the districts initials are S.M.. I'm not catholic, believe in evolution (see above), and would have an extremely difficult time coming up with tuition to STA. I still would seriously consider sending my kid to STA.

Just curious, I know they teach creationsism at Aquinas, but do they teach anything about evolution besides that they don't believe in it?

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #104339 03/06/07 03:23 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: fan of the sport
I just had to weigh in on this on.

Evolution:
I don't think evolution is anti-religous. I think religion is just being anti-scientific. I'm a Christian, and in my opinion its hypocritical to pick and choose your science. Should we also exclude the theory of gravity from our schools. Christian's enjoy, use and benefit from the millions of developments and inventions from the scientific process. A good example would be the communication and info we exchange on this internet. Why should we celebrate the things science awards us, but deny the things we don't agree with.

The creationism theory (if you would call it a theory) should be taught in church. I don't disagree with it. Evolution is science and belongs in schools. Its there to be studied, critized and dissected. I'm not quoting verse, but a big concept in the new testament is to seek out truth. We shouldn't reject evolution because it doesn't fit your strict literal interpretation of the bible.

Now my opinion on STA wrestling. They are definitively the best team in Kansas this year and deserving of the state championship. Do they recruit? I have to say no, at least until I see some real tangible written evidence that they do recruit. Nobody has produced this evidence, so people should watch what they say about them.

Do they need to recruit? Probably not. Success builds success, and success is a good and legal recruiter.
And being a private school, they have a natural advantage over public shools. You're in denial if you don't believe that.
A lot of parents will send there kid to go there just to have a chance to be a part of a state champion and to get good coaching.

I'll put it this way. If I had a top notch eighth grader and let's say I lived in a Johnson county school district were most of it's high schools were extremely weak at wrestling. I won't mention names but the districts initials are S.M.. I'm not catholic, believe in evolution (see above), and would have an extremely difficult time coming up with tuition to STA. I still would seriously consider sending my kid to STA.

Just curious, I know they teach creationsism at Aquinas, but do they teach anything about evolution besides that they don't believe in it?

Your comment about evolution being criticized and dissected is the exact opposite of reality. It is protected from any criticism and is definitely not dissected. Have you read the science standards in Kansas? Have you ever seen a science project that demonstrates evolution? Go to the next science fair that you see in High School. There won't be one project on the subject. It can't be tested. Go to http://www.scienceprovesit.com and hit the links at the top. Learn the truth.

Eric Johnson

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #104409 03/06/07 11:07 PM
Smyllll Offline
 Originally Posted By: wrestler1086
Im not against evolution I just dont believe that it should be the only theory taught in schools. My generation has evolved in height compared to my grandparents generation. There are more 6 foot idividuals walking around the earth by ratio than ever before. They say we evolved from monkeys into humans, where is that middle link? There is not one. So how can they be for sure that we evolved from them? They can't! They cannot prove the big bang theory. How did all this matter just happen to gather and form this perfect atmosphere for life. And where did the first life come from. You can not tell me the mitocondria just happened by some freak accident to take form. Why cant they put a sentense in text books that says some theorist believe that some happenings are to complex to just happen and took a superior being to create. If kids do not believe in it they will just dismiss it. I just think teaching one theory and not the other is wrong when there are other theories out there to explain them.

Growing isn't evolution, it's nutrition.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Smyllll] #104411 03/07/07 01:20 AM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
No it is evolving to fit our enviroment.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #104466 03/07/07 12:24 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
No it is evolving to fit our enviroment.

What? Our environment is bigger?

Eric Johnson

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Chief Renegade] #104513 03/07/07 06:25 PM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
No but the nutrition in our enviroment is better, which makes us evolve/addapt to our enviroment.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #104612 03/08/07 04:10 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
No but the nutrition in our enviroment is better, which makes us evolve/addapt to our enviroment.

Think about your comment. Better nutrition is not genetic. It has nothing to do with evolution.

Eric Johnson

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Chief Renegade] #104645 03/08/07 03:15 PM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
I never said anything about genetics. Humans today are alot larger than they were a century ago. That is adapting or evolving to what the enviroment gives you.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #104664 03/08/07 06:04 PM
Smyllll Offline
I never said anything about genetics. Humans today are alot larger than they were a century ago. That is adapting or evolving to what the enviroment gives you.

You sir are an idiot. We are talking about biological evolution not a person's ability to grow when fed well. Now, if we ate like this for 70,000 years, evolution may take place.

Evolution:
A change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: Smyllll] #104670 03/08/07 06:29 PM
W
wrestler1086 Offline
W
Ok then I just flat out do not believe in evolution. I believe people adapt and change to their enviroment. Didn't they call it evolving when monkeys learned how to use sticks to get termites out of holes? That is not a change in genetics.

Re: Aquinas 5A Champs! [Re: wrestler1086] #105108 03/13/07 01:31 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Ok then I just flat out do not believe in evolution. I believe people adapt and change to their enviroment. Didn't they call it evolving when monkeys learned how to use sticks to get termites out of holes? That is not a change in genetics.

They got the termites, but they are still monkeys.

Eric Johnson

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 272 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)