Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn #127499 04/07/08 03:19 PM
L
LMArnhold Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm sure a lot of the western Kansas People who have been around Highschool wrestling know who Bob Kuhn is and know he has been battling with cancer. Coach is not doing too well right now and i would just like to ask you all to keep Bob and his family in your prayers

Last edited by LMArnhold; 04/07/08 05:36 PM.

only the tribe survives
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: LMArnhold] #127534 04/08/08 01:53 AM
Ryan Jilka Offline
I'll certainly keep Coach in my prayers. Coach Kuhn is an outstanding person and coach. I appreciate everything he's done for the sport and for many, many young men.

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Ryan Jilka] #127546 04/08/08 01:37 PM
ROBERT M. GONZALES Offline
It is with deep sorrow that I have been asked by Mike Karl of Hays,Kansas. To inform the wrestling community that we have lost a Great Man in Coach Bob Kuhn of Hays. Mike called me at 9:15am and he was with Coach Kuhn and imediate family. Coach Karl mentioned that Bobby was fighting the cancer all the way to the very end. He said the past three days have been very diffcult. Mike will call me later today and will inform of funeral date. Coach Karl and Coach Kuhn were the coaches on the Hays High School Staff and had a strong inlfuence on my career and I know they had major influence on so many other young people. RMG

RMG
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: ROBERT M. GONZALES] #127548 04/08/08 01:51 PM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
My prayers and and thoughts go out to Coach and his family, friends, and the many lives that he had positive influence over. He was truly a great ambassador for the sport, and one of the classiest people that you would ever hope to meet. May God Bless him and his family during this time.

Rick Cue

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Shelstin] #127549 04/08/08 02:04 PM
L
LMArnhold Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Coach Kuhn passed this morning. This is a great loss to the Hays Wrestling and Western Kansas wrestling community. Coach Kuhn was not only a man of wrestling but a man of god and for me to be on the HHS Varsity wrestling team with him inspiring me for two years was a great blessing. I personally thanked him for helping me with life and wrestling. He taught me to fight to the end wether it be in wrestling or in life. Hays will always be KUHN'S TRIBE.

only the tribe survives
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: LMArnhold] #127557 04/08/08 04:17 PM
C
Chad Parks Offline
C
Coach Kuhn was a great man. He still helped run the Hays HS wrestling tourney up through this past season. He had to wear an O2 mask and still conducted the seeding meeting. He was a warrior and loved wrestling. I know He was a strong man of God and can now live in a new heavenly body.

All hard work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty. -Proverbs 14:23
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Chad Parks] #127566 04/08/08 06:32 PM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
I am sadden by the news of Bob's passing. He was someone that I respected a great deal and was honored to call him my friend. I know that there have been thousands who have passed through his classes and wrestling room that he has profoundly touched the lives of. He represented what all that we strive to be, impassioned and caring. Wrestling will miss Bob.

Gary Ulmer

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Gary Ulmer] #127586 04/09/08 02:05 AM
S
shudog Offline
S
Coach Kuhn was such a great influence to so many young men for many years in Western Kansas. Always had a positive attitude even the years fighting his illness. Bob helped work the District 4 Tournament just 2 weeks ago. It showed his true love of the sport and student atheletes. He will truely be missed.
Brian Schumacher
Hays Wrestling Club

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: shudog] #127595 04/09/08 07:30 AM
On_the_Mat Offline
I will always remember the profound sincere words he spoke a couple years back at his hall of fame induction in Salina.

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: On_the_Mat] #127599 04/09/08 11:42 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
A longtime fixture in the Hays education and prep sports scene, Bob Kuhn died April 8, 2008 at age 57 after a decade-long battle against cancer. FRED HUNT Hays Daily News

Arrangements are pending at
Cline's Mortuary of Hays
1919 E 22nd St
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: (785) 628-8822

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: RichardDSalyer] #127601 04/09/08 11:55 AM
L
LMArnhold Offline OP
OP Offline
L
there will be a service at Hays High School Friday at 5 p.m.

only the tribe survives
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: LMArnhold] #127605 04/09/08 12:48 PM
D
dholbein Offline
D
Coach Bob Kuhn, a great man! He’s the gridiron king, a Kansas wrestling coach supreme! He’s all of these wonderful things and much, much more. He personified class, dignity, & humility. He served his country with nobility and dignity. He was a true American Patriot. Throughout his life he exemplified courage, patience, kindness, and selflessness. My heart bleeds knowing he and his family suffered during his battle with cancer. He was such a vast man, with an enormous heart for giving. It’s paradoxical to think that a righteous and dignified man such as he was taken down by cancer. Albeit, he continued to go about his daily life without complaint; instead, he grappled for his life until the last second of the last period as a mighty warrior. In his passing, he continues to inspire all who came into his life. God has blessed us with such a unique and illustrious man—he’s truly one of a kind. The lives he’s touched are immeasurable; I’m honored to have called him coach, teacher, friend, and mentor.
God rest your soul, Coach Bob Kuhn. Your family is in my prayers.

Darrin Holbein

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: dholbein] #127607 04/09/08 01:13 PM
On_the_Mat Offline
http://www.hdnews.net/Story/bobkuhn040908

An icon in local education, Kuhn dies at 57

By DIANE GASPER-O’BRIEN
dobrien@dailynews.net

One of Bob Kuhn’s favorite songs was “Live Like You Were Dying” by country artist Tim McGraw.
Kuhn was able to do that for nearly 10 years after being diagnosed with kidney cancer in 1998.
He lost his battle with the disease early this morning when he died at his home in Hays. He was 57.
Funeral arrangements are pending with Cline’s Mortuary of Hays, but Kuhn’s wife, Cyndi, said a Mass tentatively has been set for Thursday afternoon or evening, followed by a memorial Friday.
A multi-sport athlete at Hays High School and Fort Hays State University, Kuhn returned to his alma mater as football, wrestling and track coach in the mid 1970s. He also taught physical education in the Hays district for 28 years before stepping down earlier this decade because of the cancer.
Kuhn was honored during homecoming 2004 as the winner of the Hays High Alumni Association’s distinguished service award for that year.
During his acceptance speech, Kuhn read excerpts from McGraw’s song, about a man who found out he had a terminal disease when he was in his early 40s.
McGraw talks about using the time he has left in a positive manner, “loving deeper and speaking sweeter and giving forgiveness he had been denying.”
Kuhn was in his mid-40s when he learned he had cancer, and despite numerous trips to doctors and experimental procedures, he never gave up.
“That’s the way he lived; every day to him was special,” said Mike Karl, a longtime co-worker at Hays High and a good friend of Kuhn’s. “He couldn’t wait to the next day to see the next special day.”
Kuhn was around to see both his children, Matt and Amy, get married and was able to experience being a grandpa twice. He also has two stepchildren, Jake and Chelsea Danner.
Kuhn always talked about “giving back,” which he did to the end. He volunteered in his church and in the local schools and for youth groups, often was called on to give motivational speeches and was a member of the Board of Education for USD 489.
McGraw’s song ends with him saying, “someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.”
Kuhn did, and a lot of people are the better for it.
“Bob Kuhn was a good man with a great big heart,” said Alan Moore, school board president. “He was a quiet leader that led by example, a husband, father, coach, teacher, counselor, mentor and a good friend.”
“He possessed the ability to fill voids in the lives who were lucky enough to be around him.” Moore added.
Karl agreed.
“He was always thinking what he could do to help somebody else,” he said. “It was never, never about him.”

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: On_the_Mat] #127627 04/09/08 06:41 PM
J
JHafliger Offline
J
Services for Coach Kuhn
Thursday--
Visitation at St. Mary’s Church from 5 – 7 PM
Services at St. Mary’s Church @ 7:00 PM

Friday
Visitation at Hays High School 4 – 5 PM
Services at Hays High School @ 5 PM

Memorials to Bob Kuhn Scholarship Fund

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: JHafliger] #127641 04/09/08 10:31 PM
K
kuhn123 Offline
K
We thank you all for your kind words about our father. We would like to invite any of you who would like to come to Friday's service at Hays High to please wear your coaching shirts representing your schools. Friday's celebration will truly be a celebration of Dad's life and the wonderful presence he had in all of our lives. The Hays High team will be present in their warm-ups, and if your team is able to attend they can feel free to dress as a team. Any officials who may be able to attend can also feel free to represent themselves as such. Dad was not a suit and tie guy, and you could do him no greater honor than by representing yourselves and your schools in remembrance of him.
Thank You Kindly
Matt Kuhn

Last edited by kuhn123; 04/09/08 10:34 PM.
Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: LMArnhold] #127684 04/10/08 03:01 PM
M
Myron Ellegood Offline
M
I can not put the words together to express my sorrow for coach Kuhn's family. He truly was a gentle giant and a great man! We should all strive to be more like he was. He will live on forever in our hearts.
Myron Ellegood

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Myron Ellegood] #127726 04/11/08 01:47 AM
H
Holliday Hays Offline
H
I feel badly for the Kuhn family. However, they know and I know that Coach Kuhn is in heaven. There's not many coaches/teachers that come along and make life-long lasting impacts. Coach Kuhn was definitely one of them. He always reminded me of my high school coach, the late Chuck Lovenstein from Ellsworth.

I didn't know Coach Kuhn as well as I would have liked. I did get to know him a little through wrestling interviews (he never lacked for something to say), the Bob Kuhn Classic Tournament and Church. When Coach spoke, everyone listened. I hope I can be half the man Coach Kuhn was and have half the family he did. God Bless!

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Holliday Hays] #128343 04/26/08 02:30 AM
L
Luedke 3:16 Offline
L
He was a great man, I enjoyed being around him at tournaments. He has left a great legacy.

Re: Prayers For Coach Bob Kuhn [Re: Luedke 3:16] #128494 05/06/08 01:19 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Randy Westfahl here. I had the pleasure of coaching against Bob many many times at the state tourney over the years. He was a great guy and a great sportsman. Cancer is a hard competitor but I am sure Bob fought it valiantly with the same toughness and vigor with which he coached. We are all better off for knowing him and the wrestling community will forever miss him. My thoughts for his family and the Hays community that will miss him so much as well.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CoachFitzOS), 158 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,958
Posts250,395
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)