Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Summer rules changes (Contact the State) #131507 10/01/08 04:12 PM
J
John Steiger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Coaches, Parents, and Wrestlers,
It is my understanding that the rules regarding summer contact with athletes has been changed/loosened for football, basketball, and volleyball. I think now would be a good time for all of us to contact the state to tell them "what a positive move this is" and ask them to tell us how they will be acting likewise for wrestling. If we are not being treated equally, we need to make our feelings known. You can contact Gary Musselman and Rick Bowden at, gmusselman@kshsaa.org : rbowden@kshsaa.org
Thanks for your help,
~John Steiger
Herington High School
Head Coach

Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: John Steiger] #131508 10/01/08 04:24 PM
24/7 Offline
Can't wrestling coaches already work with their wrestlers in the summer? This change did not effect the ability for coaches to work with athletes out of season but in school year to my knowledge. I believe this just gave volleyball coaches, etc the same ability wrestling coaches already had.

If I am wrong please clarify, and I will be happy to support.

24/7

Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: 24/7] #131511 10/01/08 04:27 PM
J
John Steiger Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My post may have been a little premature as I am not completely clear on the details. I was contacted by coach from another sport who thought I should touch base with others. Feel free to let me know if I am in error.

Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: John Steiger] #131512 10/01/08 05:02 PM
Coach Davies Offline
It is correct that Wrestling Coaches are already allowed to work with our athletes in the summer.

Zach Davies
SMNW Cougar Wrestling
Cougar Kids Wrestling
zdavies001@gmail.com
Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: Coach Davies] #131705 10/10/08 12:45 PM
S
Svo69 Offline
S
As I understand it,the Kansas State High School Activities Associations's (KSHSAA) new rules regarding coaches' summer contact with athletes will now allow volleyball, football and basketball coaches access to their grade 7 - 12 athletes in three (3) different waves during the summer. I would anticipate that this rule change will likely stregthen the overall quality of football, volleyball and basketball in Kansas.

But, as I see it, this new rule also has a considerable downside: summer preatices will create a culture of obligatory attendance and will serve to clearly encourage the single-sport athlete. Now a high school football player will potentially spend 27 weeks practicing and playing (i.e. 12 weeks of summer; 2 weeks of pre-season; 9 weeks of regular season; 4 weeks of post-season.

Another consideration: from what I understand most coaches typically get paid as teachers with a modest coaching stipend to supplement their teacher's pay. Now, they will most certainly feel inordinate pressure to devote considerable time in their coaching endeavors to keep-up, remain competitive and/or otherwise impress their administration, booster-club and fan base that their doing everything to achieve. Forget about summer employment, spending some quality time with his/her own family ...

There is something to the sentiment that kids need to get away from coaches during the summer and coaches probably need some time-off from the kids. Those athletes who have desire will find a way to get better.

I am aware that for many athletes, parents and coaches, the "holy grail" of summer practices will make an athlete better. But at what cost?

I would imagine many in the wrestling community feel somewhat slighted for the failure to allow for expansion of their season. Or maybe not.

Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: Svo69] #131709 10/10/08 05:48 PM
usawks1 Offline
For years, HS coaches have been able to work with their wrestlers during the Summer break!

But, for several reasons you mentioned, wrestling coaches will be losing some time to other sports!!

In the past, HS football and basketball coaches could run a one-week camp. But now??

Initially, I think this will adversely affect those that coach wrestling!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: usawks1] #131711 10/10/08 07:10 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I thought a few years back there was some exemption for swimmers in Kansas to train with club sports during the high school season. I am not sure how KSHSAA could allow that in one sport and not for other sports. I may not have all the facts on this
- but maybe someone else knows a little more about that topic.

Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: usawks1] #131713 10/10/08 07:29 PM
S
Svo69 Offline
S
I agree. Not only wrestling, for as I perceive the natural consequence of its enactment, it will have an adverse impact on the multi-sport athlete. Consider: Does a kid participate in a legion baseball tournament, or perhaps a summer wrestling event or defer to summer football/basketball practice; all the while fearing reprisal from an overzealous coach who may hold it against the kid for slighting "his" particular sport.

Re: Summer rules changes (Contact the State) [Re: Svo69] #131714 10/10/08 08:46 PM
S
Svo69 Offline
S
The general idea, fine-tuned:

From May 23 to July 18 (8 weeks) coaches may accompany their teams to college camp, conduct their own camp at their school and serve on the staff of a college camp ... coaches may coach their athletes individually, in groups or in open gym settings or in competitions such as summer leagues, 7 on 7 leagues, etc...

From July 19 to August 1, coaches may only provide "instruction in small groups (i.e. 3 players in basketball, 4 in volleyball, 5 in 8-man foot ball and 6 in 11-man football) on a voluntary basis;

From August 2 to August 16, coaches may only participate with their athletes in weight lifting and non-sport, specific conditioning;

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 239 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)