Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! #136760 01/25/09 04:37 AM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline OP
OP Offline
J
All,

Just want to express my sincere "Thank Yous" to many, many people who helped make our tournament today a huge success. Despite our learning experiences of last year, many of you came back to enjoy some wrestling matches that had some very exciting results.

I want to first say Thanks to all of our parent volunteers as well as many kids who spent their time today to help us pull off a fantastic tournament.

Secondly, Thanks to all of those referees who help keep our kids safe while maintaining control of their mat areas for the day.

In addition, I want to say Thanks to Will Cokely and Joe Knecht( Paola ) for all their help on the Trackwrestling site, as we did begin our tournament on time ( 9:00AM )this year!!! We had 700 kids entered and managed to complete our first session around 12:30PM and started wrestling the second session by 1:45PM.

Lastly, I want to Thank all those wrestlers and club leaders who chose to come back to Mill Valley for the competition that we see every year.

I do apologize to those who wresled in a 16 man bracket and did not get a wall bracket(16 man). I will have those later this week. Will try to have those as I attend the next few tournies.

PM me on this site to help me follow up and make sure your kids end up getting those.

Hope all had a good time!!!

Jeff Broadbent - Director
Mill Valley Wrestling Club

Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #136766 01/25/09 09:12 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Job well done Jeff (and all who were involved in making this a great tournament). Some of the highlights for me were -

1) Timely (early) release of information on Track Wrestling.

2) Free coffee - I had two cups (with a coffee can beside it for donations for free coffee which I gladly put a dollar in).

3) Officials had very good crowd control by the edge of the mat. We were even called out for having more than two coaches in the corner once or twice. They said they wouldn't allow it in the coaches meeting, and they enforced it during the day. During one match, I looked to my left and saw three of our wrestlers on the edge of the mat to support a teammate. I told them they better back up before the referee barked at them - not a second later the official told them to get back up it the stands. For one time, I felt like I knew what I was talking about.

4) The hospitality room was exceptional (a special thank you to the individual who brought the brownies with the melted caramel and chocolate chunks in them - yummy!)

5) Great competition. I saw a lot of incredible matches and many of the top wrestlers in the state (Missouri too) throughout the day.

6) With the split format, many of our wrestlers had four or five matches inside of two to two and half hours. You didn't have to worry about your wrestler having a long wait between matches.

I am sure there are other things that I have not mentioned that made this a wonderful tournament. And for anyone wondering why I am up and posting at this time of morning, well, my wife came down with the flu overnight and I don't have a bed to sleep in.

Once again Mill Valley, Job Well Done!

Lee Girard
Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #136770 01/25/09 11:28 AM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Since they would never thank themselves, I'd like to thank Jeff and Paula for all that they did to put on this fantastic tournament. If you've ever put together a tournament for 680 wrestlers, you know how much time and effort it takes. Great job Jeff and Paula! (and the rest of the Broadbent clan!)

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: DamonParker] #136773 01/25/09 12:28 PM
E
effwhyeye Offline
E
Just want to clarify... 12U 88 WIll Holland Won the 3rd and 4th place match. My son tried to get it corrected at the table after the match because he didn't want to take credit for a win he didn't earn and because he has a great deal of respect for Will.

Thanks,

Kurt and Willy Dieckmann

Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: effwhyeye] #136778 01/25/09 01:01 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Jeff and the rest of the Mill Valley crew......

Great tournament! I echo what Lee said above and what Smokey said in another thread.

Keep the split format. That really kept the gym crowd at a reasonable level.

Thanks again for a very well ran tournament and some great competition!

Shawn Budke
Leavenworth County Spartans Head Coach

Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: shawnbudke] #136811 01/25/09 04:29 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
good job, thanks to jeff and denny hensley for moving matches at the end of the day. that really got us on our way home at a decent hour. top notch competition, good officiating, mostly good sportsmanship, (can't have everything), and you said it, great hospitality room.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: HEADUP] #137048 01/27/09 05:40 PM
bearsdad Offline
Just curious what happened on Mat 6 (I think)? I saw a man charge on to the mat and have to be restrained during the afternoon session?

Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: bearsdad] #137051 01/27/09 06:17 PM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline OP
OP Offline
J
As far as what???

If you are asking if paperwork was filed....

Yes, it was!

Coach was ejected.

Jeff

Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #137088 01/27/09 09:25 PM
Team*Lautt Offline
Jeff - thanks for putting on a great tournament! It was good to see you again. Thanks - jjl

Jon Lautt 704-582-2341
Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: Team*Lautt] #137110 01/28/09 03:46 AM
bearsdad Offline
I just couldn't tell if he was going after the child wrestling or the referee. Either way it looked way out of line from the other side of the gym.

Re: Mill Valley Invitational! - Thank You!!! [Re: bearsdad] #137114 01/28/09 07:30 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i was coaching the match. its unfortunate, but not something to dwell on. he was just looking out for the safety of his wrestler, and emotions ran too high. i think it was handled properly by ALL parties. again not something that should be made into too big a deal.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Malay), 231 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)