Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #137802 02/02/09 08:10 PM
in it to win it Offline
Michael won't get you for "fleeing the mat" either will you now?

In it to win it.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #137804 02/02/09 08:43 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Jeff Broadbent
Will the Full Nelson and Body slams be legal too??

If they are not chewing, then yes it will be legal

Jeff

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: luellen] #137805 02/02/09 08:46 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
I don't have a rule book in front of me. Is it ok for me to chew when I'm on this talk forum?? I guess not, the tobacco police just crashed my front door. Man you guys are good!!

Last edited by PatrickCavanaugh; 02/02/09 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #137806 02/02/09 08:53 PM
M
my12floz Offline
M
Hey Pat,looks like your little monkey could use a dip, he's gonna break that little gee-tar.

Kevin Hurla
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: my12floz] #137808 02/02/09 09:01 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Originally Posted By: my12floz
Hey Pat,looks like your little monkey could use a dip, he's gonna break that little gee-tar.

Yep, that folks is the ugly sight of Copenhagen withdrawl. I move to mandate chewing tobacco at all USAWKS events. Otherwise, mark my words things could get real ugly on Saturdays. We could set up spitoons matside so there will be less spilling of spit cups. Shoot you could even sell it at the concession stands or fund raise selling it in the parking lots.

Last edited by PatrickCavanaugh; 02/02/09 09:02 PM.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #137809 02/02/09 09:09 PM
M
my12floz Offline
M
LOL

Kevin Hurla
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: my12floz] #137825 02/03/09 12:06 AM
W
Wag Offline
W
I've been dipping longer than I've been officiating, but I can't imagine chewing tobacco and having a whistle in my mouth at the same time. Seems like the shrapnel would clog my whistle up, wouldn't it? I've never seen a ref chew while working a match, but I'm sure it happens. It's not that hard for a coach (or official) to just go outside and take a few minutes for a dip.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Wag] #137827 02/03/09 12:49 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Wag
I've been dipping longer than I've been officiating, but I can't imagine chewing tobacco and having a whistle in my mouth at the same time. Seems like the shrapnel would clog my whistle up, wouldn't it?

As a former dipper and a dog trainer by trade I can vouch that it does indeed cause some problems!

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: sportsfan02] #137836 02/03/09 02:46 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
First I do not smoke or chew. Second, body slams and full nelsons are illegal for safety reasons - chewing is against the rules due to setting a good example reason. Big difference.

On the ref who had a chew in, the fact he was chewing is the last thing you should care about. I really want to know - was he a good ref??? If so, be glad we had some poor ones last weekend.

And, on setting a bad example what about overeating and eating the wrong food. Bad examples. Look at the incidence of health issues tied to bad diets - high blood pressure, etc. Most tournaments sell donuts. What a terrible food. I would prefer my son do neither, but if at 21 he gave up sweets and took up chewing - I bet he would live longer. Point is bad examples come in all shapes and types.

And, Jeff - great tournament. You obviously dislike chewing. That is fine. Your tournament - you make the rules and you do not have to justify them to anyone else.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: John Johnson] #137837 02/03/09 03:00 AM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
That's the thing...Jeff doesn't make the rules.  The KSHSAA made the rules.  And when the KSHSAA addresses hamburgers and donuts in the rule book, I'm sure they won't be at the MVWC tournament!

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: DamonParker] #137844 02/03/09 12:34 PM
in it to win it Offline
No John, it's not a matter of Jeff's tournament and he makes the rules...every Bronze coach knows that it's illegal and unacceptable and the penalty behind the chewing of tobacco products inside the gym -- this is plainly stated in the rule book.

So, the penalty of the chewers should be picking up the spit bottles or cleaning them up after the tournament? haha -- not likely to happen. It's essentially the same as having a lit cigarette inside the gym against the rules. So what's it going to be? Enforcement or Body slamming?

In it to win it.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: John Johnson] #137846 02/03/09 01:15 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Originally Posted By: John Johnson

On the ref who had a chew in, the fact he was chewing is the last thing you should care about. I really want to know - was he a good ref???

Amen

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #137847 02/03/09 01:26 PM
in it to win it Offline
Now really Patrick that monkey has been drinking way too much RockStar! That poorly little thing has been strummin the same old song since 2007! Time to get him on a drum set!

In it to win it.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: in it to win it] #137849 02/03/09 01:31 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Originally Posted By: in it to win it
So, the penalty of the chewers should be picking up the spit bottles or cleaning them up after the tournament?

Think about it. How many people that chew tobacco do exactly what is being suggested here, plus a lot more when it comes to helping with kids wrestling, i.e. volunteering there time to help coach kids, work tables, help with concessions, set up mats, roll the mats back up after the tournamet, fund raise, transportation etc. I am guilty of chewing at tournaments, but if you are going to freak out about this rule that is technically being violated, you better take a broader look at what else is going on at tournaments that truly deserve your concern. Kids being verbally & sometimes physically abused by parents & coaches for trying & not suucceeding in a match, profanity being yelled at matside & from stands, coaches sticking there chests out at each other & challenging each other to a fight etc. Anyone that goes to tournaments sees this stuff every Saturday. Instead, chewing tobacco! There is currently 71 repiles to this topic 1843 views & for what? From where I'm standing little more then a personal pet peeve, definately not about a rule. But again, that's just my opinion.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #137851 02/03/09 01:36 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
To the people wanting ejections for chewing. Have you ever--smoked on school grounds---tryed to sneek food or drinks in---cussed---unsportsman like conduct----brutality pinning a wrestler against a wall & telling them how terrible they wrestled. standing in front of mat so no one else but you can see. Left trash in bleachers. If you have done any of these things ever then you cant judge the chewer without being a hypocrite.

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: luellen] #137856 02/03/09 02:08 PM
bearsdad Offline
I am not in favor of ejections for such a minimal thing. All that I am saying is that maybe this ref should lead by example if that is what the tournament director is requesting. By the way, in my opinion(and severeal others that I have overheard) the referee is not that great. But hey, I'm not out there doing it. So who am I to judge him. Of course that is tell he srew over one of our kids matches. LOL

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: luellen] #137897 02/03/09 05:03 PM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: michael luellen
To the people wanting ejections for chewing. Have you ever--smoked on school grounds---tryed to sneek food or drinks in---cussed---unsportsman like conduct----brutality pinning a wrestler against a wall & telling them how terrible they wrestled. standing in front of mat so no one else but you can see. Left trash in bleachers. If you have done any of these things ever then you cant judge the chewer without being a hypocrite.

You have topped your previous post...

FYI - The rule in the rulebook clearly states that use of tobacco products is "Flagrant Misconduct."
PENALTY IS EJECTION - FIRST OFFENSE!!

We don't, and shouldn't get to pick and choose just what rules we want to abide by. And yes, I would like to see all tournaments remove those who violate this rule.

Enough said.

But to answer your questions. no, no, no, no, no, no, I try to sit on first row when possible, or sit or kneel on edge of mat when a competitor is coming up, and no.

Jeff

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #137971 02/04/09 01:20 AM
R
rassler Offline
R
Jeff,
It is apparant that you don't want a big tournament in the future. If you kicked everyone out that was chewing this year you wouldn't have had enough coaches to finish the tournament.I have already decided that our team will go elsewhere next year, You have a good tournament but I think you are being ridiculous. Yes it is a rule but it is one that noone enforces. So go ahead kick everyone out and the following year you can put on a 200 kid tournament. You have such a strong moral fiber I bet you have never broken a rule, Mr Perfect Jeff Broadbent

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: rassler] #137974 02/04/09 01:35 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
What is wrong with following the rules. no wonder kids act out the way they do. if the parents dont know how to follow the rules do you really think the kids will. then you yell at your kids because they dont listen. same parents have to go to school and talk to the principal when the teachers yell at the kids for not following the rules. i used to chew. i have chewed in a gym and i have also went outside to take a chew. i would have no problem doing so if that was the RULE.

Scott Bockover
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: rassler] #137976 02/04/09 01:44 AM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: rassler
Jeff,
It is apparant that you don't want a big tournament in the future. If you kicked everyone out that was chewing this year you wouldn't have had enough coaches to finish the tournament.I have already decided that our team will go elsewhere next year, You have a good tournament but I think you are being ridiculous. Yes it is a rule but it is one that noone enforces. So go ahead kick everyone out and the following year you can put on a 200 kid tournament. You have such a strong moral fiber I bet you have never broken a rule, Mr Perfect Jeff Broadbent

Unbelievable! My prediction is the Mill Valley tournament will have to turn away entrants if they advertised they were absolutely going to enforce all the rules!

Jeff, some of us admire the stance you have taken. The lessons we teach our children are truly part of our legacy!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Malay), 231 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)