Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Derby Tournament [Re: Jeff Smith] #154220 12/21/09 05:09 PM
BLT Offline
Jeff,
This sounds crazy but I would love to see your tournament get bigger!
You already draw kids from as far as Alabama!
I’m just saying that something major has to be done before your tournaments rep is permanently tarnished!
Something has to give. You guys have maxed yourself out and that is because of all your previous hard work and reputation of great competition.

Here are a few ideas you might consider choosing from!
Drop the novice!
Drop The 14U!
Split into a two day!
Limit entries!
I dont know the answer for your club but I know you guys will figure something out!

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: Jeff Smith] #154222 12/21/09 05:12 PM
roughly Offline
It sounds like the Derby facilities folks and the school admininstration folks weren't on the same page and screwed over the Tournament folks. This is unfortunate and I'm going to actually side with the Tournament folks on this single aspect of the Tourney. Doesn't appear much could have been done at their level to resolve this in the time there was. I suspect they will do whatever they have to do in order to get something more helpful in place in terms of an arrangement with the proper officials to avoid a similar issue next year.

Having said that, THAT is only a single issue to the many issues there were at the tournament. There were/are many issues that can be ignored (if chosen), but it doesn't make them go away or not have existed. Nor does it do same if messenger doesn't sign their name. That is simply a tactic used as an attempt to silence criticism. Something we see these days from the "Hoax and Change" crowd from Chicago and their supportive ilk.

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: BLT] #154223 12/21/09 05:18 PM
J
Jeff Smith Offline
J
Lance, thanks for the post and I agree totally! In fact, I sent and email this morning to several on the board addressing and sharing these same points. I have total confidence that Craig, Roger, Denise and the rest of the board will act on the feedback we get! I know they are aware of the issues, even before it was brought up, and can guarantee they only want to make it the best tournament. Again thanks for approaching it the right way.

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: Jeff Smith] #154224 12/21/09 05:57 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
hey sportsfan02. we all want to know your name, the club you are in so now we can take a look at your tournament. if its not ran to perfection we can all get on here and rant about how bad it was and why we will not ever come back. i was really thinking you might step up and ask the derby people if you could get on the pa at the tournament and announce your name so we know who you are now. derby is one of the best tournaments in kanasas for competition and thats more important than the parents cant see or what the brackets look like. yes maybe we could have had bigger mats but thats a subject that comes up every year at every tournament. i signed up for that tournament knowing it was going to be a long day as did many other coaches I spoke with throughout the day. bottom line is I did it for the kids and will be back probably every year. Thank you Derby club and others that helped out. If you need help next year let me know and my club could probably help out in some sort of way. Im sure sportsfan can stand by the bathroom and make sure they stay clean throughout the day since he or she has nothing better to do anyways.

Scott Bockover
Re: Derby Tournament [Re: Jeff Smith] #154232 12/21/09 08:28 PM
BLT Offline
Jeff,
Again, ALOT of people will go to this tournament for just the competition. I also know that alot of clubs would step up and help if needed.
I sat down at mat 11 or 12 and ran the time while the young lady ran to the rest room.
I think next year your man power will have to be much higher.
Just send Team Haysville a message! We will help! We will always suuport any club that supports ours!

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: BLT] #154238 12/21/09 09:06 PM
S
sam Offline
S
I agree just ask for help. I thought it was a good tourney but I did see alot of derby parents in the stands. When maybe they should of been out there helping.

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: bockman] #154239 12/21/09 09:20 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: bockman
derby is one of the best tournaments in kanasas for competition and thats more important than the parents

NO it's not, and how sad you think so! I'm not worried about the parents like yourself, we couldn't run you off with a stick. I AM concerned about how many novice parents went and got their first taste of what you believe tournaments should be like. We have likely lost many of those forever. You will always lose the parents long before you lose the kids, and we can't replace either one.

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: sportsfan02] #154243 12/21/09 10:04 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
sportsfan your a sad person yourself. that is what most BIG tournaments are like sportsfan. Im sure we didnt lose many parents unless they are maybe like yourself quick to judge and point fingers without having the courage to say your name. so you no longer exist in our wrestling world. go take your butt sit on your couch and do what you do best and that is complain and tell everyone else how bad things are and how perfect you are. by the way do you have the courage to tell everyone what club your from so we can give you input on your own tournament or are you going to continue hiding like always. i am a novice parent and i am not going anywhere. i will be around for a long time sportsfan and hopefully you go away.

Scott Bockover
Re: Derby Tournament [Re: bockman] #154244 12/21/09 10:16 PM
B
birddog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey jigger great positive post - Again Derby "THANKS" for hosting the tournament. The tournament was Fun - Kids wrestled - some won - some lost, but all wrestled - better than sitting @ Home. Hopefully you guys will do it again next year.

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: birddog] #154248 12/21/09 10:30 PM
D
dagwood Offline
D
I thought Derby did a great job playing the hand they were dealt. Other than being overcrowded I thought they did well and that along with some great competition is why we will be back next year.

Darren Newton
Re: Derby Tournament [Re: dagwood] #154255 12/22/09 12:15 AM
Mike Dipman Offline
Thank you Derby for a great tournament!! I,m sure alot of hard work was put into this tournament and the competition was awesome. Great Job!!!

Re: Derby Tournament [Re: Mike Dipman] #154899 01/04/10 01:51 PM
O
okstate1 Offline
O
I apologize that I'm responding to this a little late but parking really shouldn't be a problem at Derby High School. All you have to do to park legally is WALK. I counted at least 10 empty rows of parking stalls in the north faculty lot. Week after week of pizza, hot dogs & nachos, it really wouldn't hurt any of us to walk, would it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 239 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)