Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
some parents may spoil it for the kids #157288 01/24/10 01:02 AM
S
skyajdad Offline OP
OP Offline
S
No matter if your kids win or lose to a a kid they have beat or loss to, you should not shun the other kids dad, coach, or yell at your kid. I seen it happen today and I wanted to tell the mother what I really thought when she told me the boy got lucky and that wouldn't f@#@ing happen again. If we expect the kids to learn good sportsmanship then the parents need, and coaches, to do the same isn't for fun.

Last edited by skyajdad; 01/24/10 08:14 PM.

Eric Constable
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: skyajdad] #157353 01/24/10 06:44 AM
M
MarkButcher
Unregistered
MarkButcher
Unregistered
M
The same thing happend to my son and I at the Carrol Invitational. Coach MORRELL for Bishop Carroll was so pissed when my kid won, he actualy asked me if I was unemployed. As he was leaving the mat he turned to me and said out loud, "my kid beat your kid last year". Then, to top it all off, he came back up to me 2 or three hours later and started talking about how his son would catch up to us at another match. I know its hard to take when your kid gets beat 11-0, but this guy is a real. Should he be coaching?

Last edited by Tom Richard; 01/24/10 02:33 PM.
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: ] #157360 01/24/10 12:53 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
I vote NO!

Last edited by Steve Earle; 01/24/10 12:54 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: Ben Dover] #157376 01/24/10 03:04 PM
Jess Keith Offline
Mr. Butcher - the first thing that should be cleared up here is that Mr. Morrell is not a coach for Carroll Junior Wrestling. His son wrestles with our club, but Mr. Morrell is not a coach with our club. I agree that parents and coaches can take the fun out of wrestling when they themselves do not demonstrate the good sportsmanship that we are continually trying to teach our kids.

You lodged a complaint to my wife, who is a member of the CJWC Board, at the head table yesterday. And she told you that as a club, CJWC does not condone this type of action from any of our parents. She told you that we would address the situation with Mr. Morrell. Let me reassure that this has been done. If you have any further problems with Mr. Morrell, or any other parent or coach with Carroll Junior Wrestling, please feel free to call me at (316)721-4430.

Jess Keith

Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: Jess Keith] #157383 01/24/10 03:35 PM
M
MarkButcher
Unregistered
MarkButcher
Unregistered
M
Good enugh for me! Sorry for the confusion but I just assumed he was a coach because he was coaching. Its a big relief knowing that your club is on top of this matter. My son had a good time at your tournament. We hope to do it again next year.

Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: ] #157640 01/26/10 12:46 AM
D
Defref Offline
D
Things never change.

If I ever see myself on film from 20 years or so ago when my son was in kids wrestling and I was a matside dad/coach I'm embarrassed to think I ever acted the way I did...screaming and hollering, which I probably thought was coaching. And I was far, far, from the worse. I didn't bother the parents of other kids and tried to act calm most of the time afterwards. Wrestling is a very personal, close, and exciting sport, and its one-on-one so when your little boy (or girl) is out there its just too emotional on some parents to handle. Even more so, I think, as the kids gain some success and expectations rise. Wrestling is one of those sports that no matter how good you are, somebody can, and probably will, still beat you.

It would be a whole lot better on everyone if parents would stay in the stands and cheer from there. Now, I know that's never going to happen. The next best thing would be for every kids club to have a "what we expect of our parents, coaches, and fans" discussion and repeat that pep talk a couple of times during the year. And, for parents that are pretty crazed (as I was) have the coach or team president have a friendly chat. It might not change the person's behavior entirely, but i might tone it down.

Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: Defref] #157653 01/26/10 01:27 AM
in it to win it Offline
Why do tournaments even allow parents so close to the mat? Especially if they're not coaching?

In HS & college they won't be "matside".....I just don't get it...as it can't happen in track, soccer or football.

Why do parents and everyone feel they have that right in kids wrestling?

Last edited by in it to win it; 01/26/10 01:58 AM. Reason: typo

In it to win it.
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: in it to win it] #157658 01/26/10 01:53 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: in it to win it
Why do tournaments even allow parents so close to the mat? Especially if they're not coaching?

In HS & callege they won't be "matside".....I just don't get it...as it can't happen in track, soccer or football.

Why do parents and everyone feel they have that right in kids wrestling?

Because Tournament Directors allow it.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: in it to win it] #157659 01/26/10 01:58 AM
S
S McFee Offline
S
I still think one of the best things in wrestling is the life-long friendships formed between the competitors. My 6 year old wrestled the same kid 2 weeks in a row-won one, lost one, a big difference in how each kid wrestled. When they are both at their best, it will be a heck of a battle!

But, about 10 minutes after the match was over, i go into the stands to talk to momma and take a break. The two boys were sitting in one seat, sharing the controls on one of those infernal video game things, laughing and having a good time.

2 hours later when leaving, the other kid runs up to mine, gives him a big hug, and says see you next week!

How can they do that with the way some of the parents act-I agree, it is a shame.

Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: S McFee] #157678 01/26/10 03:20 AM
in it to win it Offline
ITA the lifelong and truly lifelong---way past college continues for the boys/young men. Wrestling is truly unique in that respect! A sport like no other!!! And one of the most difficult & demanding!

In it to win it.
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: in it to win it] #157686 01/26/10 05:23 AM
A
AppFan Offline
A
I took the bronze clinic a couple of weeks ago and stongly recommend to all parents but, not with the hopes that the decide to coach their children " some of us don't know all their ther is to wrestling". Not all parent should coach thier own children. I visisted this clinic and after the first 45 minutes I realized I I was the worst coach in the world. I berrated my child for a loss and took things from him such taking a singlet from last year(state singlets) b/c he did not do this good this year at Tulsa (1st tourney) and then made statements that "if we drive this far and you go two and out I am dissapointed", the other side is that if he had won, would I say that "we drove this far and I am so happy that we did" ""probalby not"" I would not have said that. WE ALL NEED TO REALIZE THAT THAT 98.5%OF THESE KIDS ARE NOT GOING TO GO TO DIVISION 1 OR LOWER RATED SCHOOLS"" OUR (OUR KIDS) BEST OPPOURTUNITY IS THAT AN ACEDEMIC SCHOLARSHIP OR POSSIBILITY OF OTHER SPORT WILL BE THE BEST OPPORTUNITY FOR THEM WE WILL BE THE MOST OPTOMISTIC, I have seen so many parents think that their kid is the best of the world but @ 8 and under, what is the criteria that you are judging your kids.

" Remember to say " Win or Lose I am proud of you" "If you gave your best that is all anyone can ask"

This is not the memo from Jerry Meguire

Last edited by AppFan; 01/26/10 01:36 PM.
Re: some parents may spoil it for the kids [Re: AppFan] #157687 01/26/10 05:29 AM
A
AppFan Offline
A
M Hicks
good luck in salina. enjoyed watchin you @Carrol hopefully we can have some competition back @ 95 8 under when you get back. you have done a good job and have represented the state of KS very well.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 222 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,958
Posts250,396
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)