Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160307 02/15/10 06:09 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I talked with the second ref and he said it was Marks call, not his.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Sunflower League [Re: Chief Renegade] #160310 02/15/10 06:18 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
[quote=Chief Renegade So in potentially dangerous situations involving legal moves, the coach can push the opposing wrestler off without any penalty? I have no problem with how Steve acted and certainly wish no harm on Tripp. However, the match is over at that time and Woofter should have won. [/quote]

Again, I do not know either the Olathe South coach or wrestler. But if this is allowed with no penalty, could it not be a successful and legal strategy to avoid a fall? Just go limp and have the coach rush the mat.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160312 02/15/10 06:21 PM
RJW1 Offline
Did the designated tournament physician clear the unconscious wrestler to return? I believe that, by rule, a wrestler who is deemed unconscious by the official must be cleared by a physician in order to return to action in that match and any future match in that tournament. . .

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160315 02/15/10 06:28 PM
Thompson Offline
I wasn't there, but I know 2 things are certain:

1. Coach Mesa would never run onto a mat unless there was something severely wrong and scary for his wrestler's immediate safety.

2. Coach Mesa is a coach with integrity and he would not stop a match for an easy way out, ever.

Tate Thompson
Head Wrestling Coach
Pratt High School
Re: Sunflower League [Re: Thompson] #160318 02/15/10 06:34 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Thompson

1. Coach Mesa would never run onto a mat unless there was something severely wrong and scary for his wrestler's immediate safety.

2. Coach Mesa is a coach with integrity and he would not stop a match for an easy way out, ever.

No one said he did or would.

But there are rules that should be followed and if the wrestler's safety is the most important concern, who cares if the match is ended due to his actions of concern?

The one question no one has answered that could end all this discussion is, what is the rule that applies when a coach walks onto the mat and stops the action by touching the opponent?

Last edited by LancerLou; 02/15/10 06:38 PM. Reason: additional thought

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Sunflower League [Re: Thompson] #160319 02/15/10 06:39 PM
C
OP Offline
C

I respect Steve and know that he was sincerely concerned for his wrestler. I don't blame him for that. It doesn't change the fact that the match should have been over.

Eric Johnson

Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160324 02/15/10 06:49 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
[/quote]

if the wrestler's safety is the most important concern, who cares if the match is ended due to his actions of concern?

You obviously do.

Last edited by Steve Earle; 02/15/10 07:51 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160325 02/15/10 06:49 PM
C
Coach Bode Offline
C
I was in the stands watching the 152lb finals match. Coach Mesa acted out of instinct and I applaud him for his actions. From the stands it was obvious that the OS wrestler was passed out...his body was completly limp. Even the guys warming up on the other mats, Lucas Vincent comes to mind, were hollering "he's out, he's out!" The head and arm was COMPLETELY legal...but those of us who have been in them know that, in certain instances, the more you struggle to pull out of it the tighter it gets. I do feel that the match should have been stopped and SME should have been awarded the victory. Coach Mesa did tell the official "Give him the match, I'm only concerned about my guy's health" or something to that effect. The official did consult the on-site physician and the wrestler, and I'm assuming the physician cleared the OS guy to continue. In my opinion, terrible call by the physician and the officials. A kid passes out, which means that there was a lack of blood flow to the brain, which should mean you are done for the day!

For those concerned about the "push or shove" of the SME kid by Coach Mesa I offer this...your kid is passed out under another wrestler and you are paniced into survival mode, you are going to do what is necessary to save your kid (or at least I hope you would)." It was clear to everyone watching that Coach Mesa interfered with the match only for the safety of his wrestler and not to stop a fall.

I hope that one day when I have a son old enough to wrestle that his coach cares as much about his safety as Coach Mesa does about his wrestlers!

Justin Bode
Leavenworth High School Boys and Girls Assistant
Tournament Director
Re: Sunflower League [Re: Chief Renegade] #160328 02/15/10 06:52 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
Same scenario last week at Rose Hill; Wrestler knocked out hitting mat (clean throw) Match stopped. Knocked out wrestler could not continue until a Doctor signed off. Match over. A default as it should be. (had a Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine avaiable but that didn't work as we were trying to inject a little humor into a scary situation.) Everything is fine now.

Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160331 02/15/10 07:10 PM
Thompson Offline
If the true concern is a rule infraction, then why not start a thread on the Ask the Ref section. Nothing more can be solved here.

Tate Thompson
Head Wrestling Coach
Pratt High School
Re: Sunflower League [Re: Thompson] #160333 02/15/10 07:15 PM
C
OP Offline
C
There is a thread already about it on Ask the Ref. Many were curious as to why the match continued.

Eric Johnson

Re: Sunflower League [Re: Ben Dover] #160337 02/15/10 07:38 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Steve Earle

if the wrestler's safety is the most important concern, who cares if the match is ended due to his actions of concern?

You obviously do.

I do care if after the safety of the individual is assured, the rules are not followed and it results in the wrong finish to a match. This really doesn't matter much now since it was only league. Would others feel differently if this was at regional or state and it impacted who qualified or placed?

Or is it ok since the coach and the wrestler are respected individuals of integrity? Would the rules be applied differently if you or your coach are scoundrels?

I feel that I should add a disclaimer that although I post under the name LancerLou, I have no current ties to SME and was gently and correctly chastised following this match by a SME parent. I would be just as interested in this rule if I saw it on another mat.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Sunflower League [Re: Thompson] #160341 02/15/10 07:45 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
If the true concern is a rule infraction, then why not start a thread on the Ask the Ref section. Nothing more can be solved here.

it's there, still no word on coach interference. probably looking it up. could take some time for official answer, may not be in the case books.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160342 02/15/10 07:49 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
At the point that the wrestler lost consciousness, you no longer had a wrestling match but in fact had a MEDICAL EMERCENCY and the coach acted admirably. The talk about what rules the coach broke or how many points should have been awarded seems trivial and under the circumstances the ref should have the leeway to use his judgment, understanding the coaches intent! On the surface the continuation of the match seems like a ridiculous decision ,on not only the refs part, but also the coaches, trainers, and Doctor (I doubt a doctor gave his OK.)

Last edited by Steve Earle; 02/15/10 08:59 PM.

Steve Earle
Re: Sunflower League [Re: Ben Dover] #160343 02/15/10 07:58 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
You know what? I agree.

This all happened so fast and the assumed-to-be unconscious wrestler was up and moving pretty quickly. This was thankfully not a situation where the crowd was quiet and everyone was on pins and needles hoping the guy was ok.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160352 02/15/10 08:40 PM
D
Defref Offline
D
There you go, a voice of reason. If everybody was acting in good faith, doing the best they could in a wierd situation, and nobody got hurt, why expect or ask for more from any of those involved. If the match can be used for a vehicle for a civilized, decent, and rational discussion of the rules, even better.

Re: Sunflower League [Re: Defref] #160363 02/15/10 09:15 PM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
I just thought of a story that was funny after-the-fact. I am pretty new to wrestling, only been involved a total of 6 years and the last 2 as a college fan. Just to show how different college is from high school (and it should be) one of our college wrestlers took a shot off the whistle, hit his head on the mat, was knocked unconscious and pinned all in less than 10 seconds. In college they call a fall so fast, you'd never know the guy was out cold. The wrestler himself laughs about this now that he has been checked out following the concusion and is ok.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Sunflower League [Re: LancerLou] #160563 02/16/10 11:47 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Sunflower League Wrestling Championships; At Shawnee Mission Northwest - Team results

1 (tie). SM East and SM Northwest, 156.5; 3. SM South, 131.5; 4. Leavenworth, 117; 5. Olathe North, 112; 6. Lawrence, 107.5; 7. SM North, 92.5; 8. SM West, 87; 9. Olathe Northwest, 74; 10. Olathe East, 68; 11. Olathe South, 61; 12. Free State, 45.

Individual winners:

Championship — Chandler Gordon, SMNW, p. Danny Kostroske, SMW, 1:47; Third place — Drew Botello, FS, m.d. Tommy McGillicuddy, SME, 14-4; Fifth place — Jackson Cobb, ONW p. Brent Haffey, SMS, 1:42.

Championship — Hunter Haralson, LAW, p. Jack Mitchell, SME, 1:34; Third place — Reed Bowker, SMNW, dec. Matt Kostroske, SMW, 10-8; Fifth place — Grant Jongerius, SMS, by default.

Championship — Tre Humphrey, SMS, p. Joey Estrada, ON, 2:19; Third place — Tracy Copen, OS, dec. Colby Everett, SMNW, 12-5; Fifth place — Austin Bergeron, OE, dec. Ben Soukup, FS, 6-0.

Championship — Ross Whitmore, SMNW, dec. Javon Haines, LV, 4-3 (OT); Third place — Ethan Becker, SMS, dec. Nick Bauerly, OS, 5-2; Fifth place — Carter Kerr, SME, by default over Mike Blanco, ONW.

Championship — Mike Beachem, LV, dec. Ben Randolph, SME, 9-7; Third place — Tyler Deal, SMNW, dec. Reis Humphrey, SMS, 6-0; Fifth place — Taylor Griggs, ON, dec. Trevor Bolerjack, OS, 10-8.

Championship — Tyler Klopper, SMS, dec. Cord Powell, SMW, 7-0; Third place — Andrew Denning, LAW, dec. Dylan Murrison, ONW, 6-0; Fifth place — Dominic Jaramillo, OE, dec. Dylan Swoyer, SMNW, 5-3.

Championship — Andrew Jones, SMN, dec. Tanner Johnson, SME, 7-5; Third place — Will Collins, OE, dec. Ed Spaunhorst, SMNW, 5-2; Fifth place — Tobias Popchoke, ON, p. J.W. Pabst, SMS, 0:21.

Championship — Connor Middleton, ONW, dec. Will Price, LV, 5-3 (OT); Third place — Todd Morgan, OE, dec. Will Greenhaw, SMNW, 4-1; Fifth place — Blake Hill, SME, by default over Blake Hill, SME.

Championship — Trip Hiller, OS, dec. Chase Woofter, SME, 7-5; Third place — Tyler Allen, SMW, t.f. Cody Carson, SMW, 19-3; Fifth place — Cameron Magdaleno, LAW, by default over Curtis Langley, SMS.

Championship — Reece Wright-Conklin, LAW, inj. def. Nick Caldwell, SMNW; Third place — Blaine Hill, SME, dec. Ross Riggs, OE, 2-1; Fifth place — Justin Diercks, SMN by default over Emmanuel Hernandez, SMS.

Championship — Jeff Rutherford, SME, dec. Dustin Walthall, LAW, 9-4; Third place — Kyle Needham, SMN, m.d. Cordi Pascal, SMW, 11-1; Fifth place — Nick Quinn, OE, by default over Bobby Urteaga, SMNW.

Championship — David Blazevic, ON, dec. Nathan Butler, LV, 6-2; Third place — Greg Welsh, SME, by default over Spencer Chestnut, LAW; Fifth place — Blake Covington, SMNW, dec. Dustin Howard, SMN, 6-5.

Championship — Jake Carroll, ON, p. Josh Bush, LV, 5:52; Third place — Jamie Barnhart, SMN, dec. Christian VanMatre, SMS, 8-2; Fifth place — Brad Wilson, LAW, inj. def. Joey Cunningham, FS.

Championship — Lucas Vincent, ON, p. Josh Wilson, LV, 0:34; Third place — Austin Wolfe, ONW, p. Brandon Bishop, SMN, 2:16; Fifth place — Deaven Jensen, SMS, dec. Tyler Smith, OS, 4-2 (OT).

Eric Johnson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)