Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: refs for 6a [Re: Massey] #163010 03/01/10 10:42 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Massey
Sec 16 Article 1-....In awarding a takedown at the edge of the mat, control must be established while the supporting points of either wrestler are inbounds or while at least the feet of the scoring contestant finish down on the mat inbounds.

For most officials, safety comes first which can make stopages look inconsistant. Where mats are joined you tend to see the action continue. Near hardwood or other potential hazzards, they tend to stop the action quicker. The Tanenbaum-Deshazer match is good example. Wrestling continued on the first near takedown because there was room. Later in the match, it was stopped much quicker because one of the wrestlers had a foot off the mat and on the floor. Many of the officials also work kids as well which usually have much small safety areas resulting in quicker stoppage so habit could come into play.

Good points. Thank you.

Please define 'establish control'. I saw kids sitting on their butt, out of bounds, with the 'shooter' holding onto Mr. Butt's ankles. Sometimes it was called 'two'! Sometimes it was called nothing.

It seems like if the non-shooter was belly-down while he was out of bounce in the above scene, it would (and should be imo) called 'two'.

But since it was called inconsistently (takedowns on the edge) and since I don't have a rule book - somebody teach me on this one please. Church? Richard? Will?

What criteria is used to 'establish control' on a TD?

If we both start out on our feet - and I get around behind you (just like you had done a stand up if you were in the ref position with me on top) and we both go down for a second with me in the up position (i.e. ref's position) then we go out of bounds - TD or no TD?

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: refs for 6a [Re: Dean Welsh] #163015 03/01/10 11:03 PM
O
Official Bill Offline
O
Mr.Welsh, My name is Bill Kausler. You may know me. I am the Referee from JC. I work all the JC matches. Since I am a Ref we trully try to not post on this web site. But sometimes I feel it nessasary. I worked the 5A and 6A tourney this weekend. I would like to speak to you in person about some of the issues you bring up and see the tape you may have. I personally dont want to do this in a public forum. I believe I may be able to enlighten you on some of your questions even on the JC matches you have questions about. I would also like to speak to Mrs. Ruiz about her amazing son and also Stand up King. I dont know how else to contact them. I would like to meet all of you face to face. Please call me at 762-3636 Thanks Bill Kausler Hay I cant be all bad my kid went to Sheridan School.

Re: refs for 6a [Re: Official Bill] #163020 03/01/10 11:25 PM
L
lovemyWrestlers! Offline
L
Mr Bill I just sent you a message. I welcome your invite.

Mrs Ruiz

Re: refs for 6a [Re: lovemyWrestlers!] #163023 03/01/10 11:37 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Bill, I think you are a great ref. I'm going to tape the finals when they come on TV (rebroadcast). And, I would be happy in having you educate me. I have always thought highly of you and your family (and refs in general).

As stated, for some strange reason - this was the only time I left a final with a sick feeling in my tummy. Maybe my eyes are getting worse. Maybe my mind is getting worse. Maybe the rules have changed and I need to be updated. And, possibly a ref or two made a mistake or two. Most likely a combination of all these variables. I know I do not do my job perfectly. No one does. So, I do not expect refs to do theirs perfectly either.

Maybe over spring break we could get together? March 15-22nd? You going to be around then?

Send me a PM if you'd like and let me know how Megan is doing. She sure was a great student to have at SH.

Thanks for the invite. I know it is not done in hostility and I look forward to visiting with you soon.

Dean Welsh

PS: I got your phone number saved on my PC. Thanks.

Re: refs for 6a [Re: Dean Welsh] #163035 03/02/10 12:13 AM
O
Official Bill Offline
O
Mr. Welsh,

Thank you for getting back in touch with me. I will have to get in touch with you so we can review the tape unfortunately I wont be available during spring break. I will email you after that.

Thanks.

Re: refs for 6a [Re: oldfan] #163065 03/02/10 02:01 AM
W
wrestling67 Offline
W
Well, I am not from Derby or Goddard. I was there to watch another good match and yes he did have the 2, they put it on the scoreboard, then took it off. I dont know what happened but he had the 2 points.

Re: refs for 6a [Re: wrestling67] #163068 03/02/10 02:08 AM
W
wolffman Offline
W
As a referee, we miss calls and make mistakes. As a first year Kansas Referee this year, high school tournaments were very difficult to get contracts for. Kids wrestling was a lot easier but at the same time, the number of tournaments that were cancelled due to low numbers and weather left open too many weekends. Official Bill is a stand up guy and I'm sure as a lot of referee's do, they're isn't a tougher critic than themselves at the end of the day. Did I make the right call, did I miss a call, am I in the right position, etc...

Coaches, AD if your looking for young talent to officiate, change your normal referees and take a flyer on some young guns!

Re: refs for 6a [Re: lovemyWrestlers!] #163080 03/02/10 02:44 AM
W
wrestling67 Offline
W
I am confused by this.
Ruiz and Miller match at the very end of the third period. It looked like two dumb and dumber refs lost in the Intrust Bank arena. How does one ref give the final escape point to win the match and the other has no idea of it.( The score on this match was 3-1, the match was not ended on a 1 point escape, I believe that was in the 3rd and 4th place match Additionally Miller's injury time had ran out and the one ref actually called the match over, then calls it back again. The ref never called the match over, what he was doing was signalling to the time table that the injury clock needed to be stopped [b]

Re: refs for 6a [Re: wrestling67] #163178 03/02/10 03:21 PM
D
Defref Offline
D
So, all this fuss over a match and the complainers don't even have the facts straight? We need a rule that says if you are going to complain about a call you need to post a video to substantiate it....

Re: refs for 6a [Re: Dean Welsh] #163206 03/02/10 05:09 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
Originally Posted By: dwelsh
Bill, I think you are a great ref. I'm going to tape the finals when they come on TV (rebroadcast). And, I would be happy in having you educate me. I have always thought highly of you and your family (and refs in general).

As stated, for some strange reason - this was the only time I left a final with a sick feeling in my tummy. Maybe my eyes are getting worse. Maybe my mind is getting worse. Maybe the rules have changed and I need to be updated. And, possibly a ref or two made a mistake or two. Most likely a combination of all these variables. I know I do not do my job perfectly. No one does. So, I do not expect refs to do theirs perfectly either.

Maybe over spring break we could get together? March 15-22nd? You going to be around then?

Send me a PM if you'd like and let me know how Megan is doing. She sure was a great student to have at SH.

Thanks for the invite. I know it is not done in hostility and I look forward to visiting with you soon.

Dean Welsh

Bill Kausler was one of the best referee's I saw all season long without a doubt.

Church

Re: refs for 6a [Re: M.Church_AD] #163222 03/02/10 05:59 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: FalconCoach
Originally Posted By: dwelsh

Dean Welsh

Bill Kausler was one of the best referee's I saw all season long without a doubt.

Church

Agreed. Not just this year, but every year I have seen him ref. Agile, calm, quick-thinking and respectful to coaches that question his calls when they think that need arises.

Re: refs for 6a [Re: Dean Welsh] #163270 03/02/10 09:24 PM
L
lovemyWrestlers! Offline
L
When I wrote on this forum I wrote with anger. When I spoke with Mr Bill I put the anger behind me as he enlighten and educated me on wrestling. To him and the other referee on my sons match the following................

Please accept my most sincere apology for my behavior on this forum (dumb and dumber lost in the Intrust Arena) I have thought long and hard about the insult I made towards you and your partner. I realize how upset you must have been to get on this forum and express yourself. I am really sorry. I am an adult and for that reason I should of handled my comments better. I was in the wrong and can only say how sorry I am. I can promise you that this will never happen again!!!
This being said and stated, I would encourage everyone to take the high road with respect towards our referees and others. Although we may feel that refs make bad calls at times they still deserve respect.

Maria Ruiz
PS for all wrestling moms please take my advice when your husband tells you to "SHUT UP". If its that one time there probably right!!!

Last edited by lovemyWrestlers!; 03/02/10 09:49 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 255 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)