Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: back in the day] #177141 12/22/10 05:09 PM
dalefish1 Offline
Mr. Tate Thompson:

You are a stickler for rules – so I guess that you personally have never exceeded the speed limit
Or made a copy of a videotape or CD/DVD??

Diogenes can finally report back to the Gods.

Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: dalefish1] #177142 12/22/10 05:32 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
You have to draw a line, a distinction between what the intention of the rule is and what individuals-fans, parents, etc... do. What you do as a fan, parent, etc... is regulated by the rule, but to be honest you may or may not choose to follow those rules. However, as a coach I can never in good conscience video someone or instruct others to video someone who my wrestler is not currently wrestling and then use that. I believe that to be dishonest, don't you? I am also a realist and realize that it happens but if it's a coach instructing it to happen, well they are just as worthy as Josh McDaniels. That's the only thing I am arguing.
If you are video taping someone else without their permission that is wrong. If you use it or even post it without their permission, that is wrong. Last weekend I viewed a match that was posted on youtube. I did not ask someone to put the video up, I did not video the match myself, but I did watch it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: Brent Lane] #177147 12/22/10 06:09 PM
S
Steve O Offline
S
If the need is so great, and it is a compliment, then just ask the competitor. Or ask them to post the match on Youtube. Why the need to be so clandestine?

Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: Steve O] #177149 12/22/10 06:32 PM
Cokeley Offline
If permission is all that is needed, here you go:

EVERYONE HAS MY WRITTEN PERMISSION TO VIDEO AND POST ANY OF MY SONS' WRESTLING MATCHES.

Now everyone else can follow suit and there will be no need for clandestine operations!

Richard, could you post the exact verbage of the rule? I don't have my handbook with me. I am not sure permission is all that you need.

I know that most of the videos posted of Kansas High School wrestling matches do not comply. I am grateful that some have the guts to tape and post finals or any matches so that those who are unable to attend can still watch. We need to seek every avenue of promotion. We need to move out of the dark ages as a state. It sucks bad enough that we have to have our state tournaments in three or four buildings, why deny the opportunity to watch a great wrestling match online because of some obsolete rule? If 51% of the coaches and admins agree that the rule is not enforceable or unwanted the rule should go away. The real problem is that KSHSAA has set up their mechanism for change to mandate that 95% of the coaches approve the rule. My guess is that 50% are not even aware of the rule to begin with and even more than that just don't care.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: Cokeley] #177168 12/22/10 10:58 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Richard, could you post the exact verbage of the rule? I don't have my handbook with me. I am not sure permission is all that you need.

NFHS
Rule 10-1-2 (page 48)
Videotaping or filming is authorized unless prohibited by the state high school association. Any videotaping or filming for the purpose of reviewing during competition, however is prohibited.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: RichardDSalyer] #177170 12/22/10 11:50 PM
RJW1 Offline
Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Originally Posted By: Cokeley

NFHS
Rule 10-1-2 (page 48)
Videotaping or filming is authorized unless prohibited by the state high school association. Any videotaping or filming for the purpose of reviewing during competition, however is prohibited.

So does that mean you can film for the purpose of viewing AFTER the competition? So why can't I film an opponent at a tourney this weekend with no intention of viewing it during this competition? My intention is to view it after the competition. This rule does not seem to prohibit that!!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: RJW1] #177173 12/23/10 12:41 AM
Thompson Offline
NFHS
Rule 10-1-2 (page 48)
"Videotaping or filming is authorized unless prohibited by the state high school association."

KSHSAA Manual

1.M Filming or Video Taping Matches
Any filming or video taping for the purpose of review during competition is prohibited. This includes multiple day tournaments. Video taping and camera filming are considered one and the same and can only occur when there is competition between your wrestler and an opponent. Again, taping and filming cannot take place when you do not have a wrestler involved at that time. The only exception would be the state consolation and championship finals where video taping and camera filming of any match is permissible.

http://www.kshsaa.org/Publications/Wrestling.pdf

Tate Thompson
Head Wrestling Coach
Pratt High School
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: Jack Otero] #177236 12/24/10 02:01 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Journalistic Take on this from my standpoint, Does it mean that tournaments or teams that do Live Webcasts should get signed waivers from the other team in order to continue filming? I know many sites you can go back and watch the matches later on. I believe UStream is one of the sites that does that. Where is the clarity on this?

Enlighten Me!
Re: Goodland Video Taping [Re: Enetophobic] #177512 12/30/10 01:16 PM
Cokeley Offline

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 156 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)