Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? #181685 02/11/11 02:02 AM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
I remember the days of waking up @ 4 in the morning and heading out of town for weigh-in, it kind of takes you back to the way the sport USED to be. I understand that in some situations it is in the best interest of the club to have a satellite weigh-in (save cost, sleep in, etc.), but it seems more today that it's just a way to get out of actually showing up for weigh-in. If there is going to be satellite weigh-ins, or you want your club to host one, the club hosting should have to pay a certified official to be on site for weigh-in. Make everyone honest so to speak. I know I'm going to get raked over the coals for this one, but I'm prepared :-) Opinions?

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 02/11/11 02:04 AM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: JACD_Moison] #181686 02/11/11 02:12 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
I can also remember waking up at 4 and going to a tournament to weigh in at 6 and waiting till 10 to start do to brackets changing and being there until 9 wrestling. Usually if you are not telling the truth on weighing in it catches up with you. It only usually happens for a weight class down so it is just two or three pounds. Like I said for the two or three kids (or I mean parents)that do it. It is a lot better the way it is done now.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: jerry davis] #181689 02/11/11 02:21 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I remember those days also. I think there is a lot of truth to what Jerry is saying also.

I look at it this way, if you are cheating to win a regular season tournament then have at it. You will be the kid (or parent of) I want to be wrestling in the years to come.

It will all change when it is subs time and if and when you see a kid jump up 2 classes and get it handed to him we can all laugh at the parents.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Teamroper] #181693 02/11/11 02:34 AM
R
rat0502 Offline
R
I am new to this, only my second year to have a kid wrestle. From what I see, several tournies only have Friday night weigh-ins, and at $3 a gallon, a double trip or a hotel room every weekend could get pretty expensive. I know that we would not be able to patronize all the tournies we have if it were not for sattelite weigh-ins, and that hurts the hosting club. From what i've seen so far, the tournies that have Friday weigh-ins do seem to get rolling a little quicker in the mornings,which is the point of doing it. I do agree that there is the possibility for cheating, but from what I see "most" of the parents are honest and as you all have said, if they cheat, it will catch up to them eventually. Cheating weight will hurt the kid more than wrestling up IMHO.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: rat0502] #181697 02/11/11 02:51 AM
JACD_Moison Offline OP
OP Offline
I see everyone's point, but I still think there should be a certified official on site. If the cheating will still go on, then what's the point of driving 3 hours to watch your son/daughter lose to someone cheating? I agree that it WILL catch up to them, but in the interim they are hurting other kid's confidence and demoralizing the sport.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: rat0502] #181700 02/11/11 02:58 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
Actually High School has had there own weigh-ins for years . Of course when I wrestled they did. It is all up to the one who is in charge of weighing in at satellite locations. We host as many as we can and we also say no to a lot,that way our kids and parents cant abuse it. We like going to Circle Middle School in Benton because the man in charge is our district head and he is very honest. Plus it isn't far.Satellites also keep clubs close and working together.We have got to know a lot of wrestlers and families from Andover and Eldorado, do to smaller groups at weigh-ins.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: JACD_Moison] #181701 02/11/11 03:02 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: JACD_Moison
I see everyone's point, but I still think there should be a certified official on site. If the cheating will still go on, then what's the point of driving 3 hours to watch your son/daughter lose to someone cheating? I agree that it WILL catch up to them, but in the interim they are hurting other kid's confidence and demoralizing the sport.

I see that point also, but with the majority of these weights only 3 pounds apart I really don't buy it. To the old way of doing it I had to endure a 4am wake up hours of driving to a weigh in and then the re-bracketing takes 1-2 hours get a first round bye and not wrestle until after lunch. Try that out on a 8yr old it sucks.

Parents spend their money and time on this sport, and that is the way the trend is going.

Should we not allow any Friday night weigh ins either what the difference?

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Teamroper] #181705 02/11/11 03:29 AM
Art Kennedy,EJCW Offline
Pros and Cons to both sides of it I suppose. I do know that I have saved hundreds of dollars on hotel / motel rooms thanks to both remote and satellite weigh in's. Heck, sometimes I see the size of these kids at the weigh in's and wonder where they hide the weight lol. But I always notice that the cream rises to the top and those who try to buck the system seldom come out ahead.

Avise Le Fin
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Art Kennedy,EJCW] #181706 02/11/11 03:36 AM
J
Jake Goldenstein Offline
J
As far as I know, there are no certified officials at most tournament weigh-ins, satelite or not. Even if the host torunament has a saturday morning weigh-in, the officials dont even show up until about 30 minutes prior to the start time.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Jake Goldenstein] #181708 02/11/11 04:43 AM
A
awrestlersmom Offline
A
We have wrestled for 4 years. 3 with early morning drives or motel stays...this year satellite weigh-ins mostly. I love the new format. Saves time and money. Our coach, who does our weigh-ins wouldn't let you cheat if ya wanted to. You would run or scratch. Why would you wanna cheat, just to win? What would a coach or parent be teaching that kid?
If you do have early morning weigh-ins only or friday night only.....great, but start on time!
Another thought: If someone is suspected of cheating why not add weigh in challenge. If they are 2 lbs overweight of that weight group, then scratch em and have penalty. Wrestling 2 lbs. over you should be in the next weight group anyway.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: awrestlersmom] #181711 02/11/11 06:13 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i think the most important numbers are 6u,8u,10u,12u...and 3-5lb difference between classes.

they are kids, and just because it isn't like it used to be, doesn't always mean its bad. this is a change in our sport for the good. cheaters always find a way to cheat, but usually struggle to compete.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: HEADUP] #181712 02/11/11 08:09 AM
BLT Offline
I got to say that I sort of agree with JACD here.
We were one of the 1st clubs to use this process and I think it has really grown our tournament.
BUT
What if a club did pay an offical to be on site for weigh ins? It still save 100s of parents $ and time.
I do know that there needs to be some checks and balances here but then again for most cases we are only talking 3 to 5 pounds between weight classes.
So to sum it up I'm torn as what to do.
What if a club required a ref at your weigh ins would you still do them?

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: JACD_Moison] #181717 02/11/11 01:02 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
Originally Posted By: JACD_Moison
what's the point of driving 3 hours to watch your son/daughter lose to someone cheating?
If your losing because of a couple pounds you need to prepare your wrestler better. I think that better preparation is more productive than freakin out about a few pounds.

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: luellen] #181719 02/11/11 01:18 PM
Beeson Offline
Do you guys really think that there is alot of cheating going on. Maybe I am naive, but the satellite weigh-ins I have been to have been very honest. Personally I think that satellite weigh ins have encouraged clubs to have their wrestlers make weight. Before the host club would give weight to make it easier and make sure they didn't have to make alot of changes in an hour or so. Now it doesn't matter, a kid doesnt' make weight, just scratch them and redo the bracket.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Beeson] #181723 02/11/11 01:31 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
In the future will Acme Wrestling Club enter a tournament for a certain number of entries, and then everyone just shows up at remotes and weighs-in and is entered at that weight? No more having to track weights by clubs and parents!

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: sportsfan02] #181732 02/11/11 02:43 PM
N
NColtrane Offline
N
As a coach and a dad, I like satelite weigh ins because we oversee all of our kids weights, hair, nails, skin and we know what any and all issues are. We know who is going to be close to weight and talk to the parents about the weight class the kid is in. It gives us time to review that weight with parents and kids in a situation other than a practice night with other things going on.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: JACD_Moison] #181744 02/11/11 03:53 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
As a parent a parent I love the Satelite weigh-ins. Get them out of the way on a Friday evening, sleep an extra hour or so Saturday morning, what deal.

As a coach I like them since by the time I get to a tournament in the morning the brackets are up and I can get all of my bout numbers filled in on my sheets. The tournaments now have an even better chance of starting on time which means the time we leave the tournament is better.

As someone who has help run a tournament they are good. You can leave your facility Friday night with your brackets set-up, brackets hung on the wall, brout sheets printed, and for the most part you are ready to wrestle Saturday morning.

I will add that we learned this year to limit the number of "Satelite" weigh-in locations. If you have 45 different clubs that you are getting weigh in sheets back from it can become a little hectic. We even disscussed for next year the possibility of having the locations that will do weigh-ins for us set-up as workers in track wrestling for the tournament and they can just enter the actual weights in the system as they perform the weigh-in.

Way more positives than negatives.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Beeson] #181750 02/11/11 04:19 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Personally I think that satellite weigh ins have encouraged clubs to have their wrestlers make weight. Before the host club would give weight to make it easier and make sure they didn't have to make alot of changes in an hour or so.

we have dealt with this before, clubs "giving" weight allowances at weigh ins. they don't want to make a big deal out of it.

we were always on after practive thursday night, then???? we have better control now. no it's not perfect, but the closest thing to that is matside weigh ins, that's another topic altogether.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: Purple_Freak] #181751 02/11/11 04:20 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
As a mother of a 6-year-old I really appreciate the satellite weigh ins. It sure makes for happier people in the morning. The only problem is if you don't have a team willing to do it near you and you still have to drive almost an hour the night before. That is when it doesn't pay off to have it on Friday because then you have a late night. For the most part I like this concept. Don't hate me for asking this because I know what most people will say, but since they are waiting it late in the day instead of early in the morning on empty stomachs is there any chance there could at some point start to be maybe up to a .3 pound weight allowance. That is what has been hard for my son with the weather having no recess to burn some fat, limited practice, and having to weigh in at night. Usually he is 2 pounds under if he weighs in on Saturday, but like I said with the aforementioned circumstances it is getting difficult. We don't want to bump him up a class because on wrestling day he is weight under all the others in that class and really makes a difference.

Re: Have the satellite weigh-ins got out of hand? [Re: wrestle4fun] #181753 02/11/11 04:35 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
I think we need to train our wrestlers for success. Not tell them you lost because of combining brackets or bad call or a few pounds difference. Tell them you lost because of stance reaching back or not moving enough on bottom ect. Home town tournys are nothing but practice with medals. districts & state & nationals wrestlers have to make weight,as it should be. We need to take the emphasis off weight!! This is what kansas is doing. Let the kids eat freely during the season. Good job kansas keep it up.

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 147 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)