Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
desoto novice #10728 01/05/05 01:55 AM
L
luckydawg73 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
just a reminder that we are still planning to have a novice tournement. Entry dead line is 1-8-05. Entry cost is $12.00 {non-refundable}.Send entries to Desoto Kids Wrestling Club c/o Dean Sheets,17787 Cantrel Dr.,Linwood Ks.,66052-4511.You can e-mail entries to desotowrestling@yahoo.com.

Re: desoto novice #10729 01/05/05 03:23 PM
Mark Stanley Offline
What is the date of the event?

Re: desoto novice #10730 01/05/05 08:40 PM
L
luckydawg73 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
the date is 1-16-05. sorry forgot some very important info didnt i???????

Re: desoto novice #10731 01/11/05 05:22 AM
C
Coach_Z Offline
C
If memory serves; and I have been with the DeSoto Kids Wrestling Club for four years now, the only person that has been asked to leave our tournament last year was an open wrestler that was sand bagging in a novice tournament with the excuse of extra matches to get mat time. The wrestler in question was removed after never having a match past the first round, attempting to intentionally injure his opponent and acted what was judged by the tournament director in an unacceptable / un-sportsman like manner. The excuse of “wrestling up” against an experienced wrestler does nothing to the development of experienced participants. If you will read the Charter for the USA Wrestling for the sate of Kansas, it is FOR THE KIDS and the sport not a parent’s ego. If you like I am sure that one of the board members, senior referees or reputable coaches can explain it to you. If a parent needs gold medals from tournaments for inexperienced and beginning wrestlers that are just learning, I have a big box of gold and silver medals I can give them so they can feel better about their child.
If you will notice the new rules this year regarding what is considered a true novice, they are to level the playing field for the new wrestlers so that they can get experience they will need (Hence “Novice” tournament).
Since these are as you put it “Mommy Matches” at a novice tournament and beneath the abilities of your athlete, why would you take them to a novice tournament? There have been a rare few stud first year wrestler that is a natural and if yours is this aggressive and knows things that are not common for a novice wrestler, then it becomes a question of why isn’t this wrestler participating in open?
For a recent example, I was at the Atchison Tournament last Saturday and the caliber of wrestlers was impressive across the board. One thing that I saw and was impressed by was when a wrestler that obviously out classed his opponent in experience and ability, he did not try and go for a world record pin time or try going for a technical fall in less than the first round. He worked his opponent, worked his own strategy, got mat time and was a gentleman about it; he did not try and rub his opponent’s nose into his lack of experience. Granted he did tech the inexperienced wrestler, but he showed class on and off the mat. He did not at all act like the wrestler that was asked to leave.

Re: desoto novice #10732 01/11/05 01:21 PM
wrestlingparents Offline
Very well said Coach Z.

Re: desoto novice #10733 01/11/05 02:06 PM
Mike Furches Offline
One thing that has come up, a lot lately, is bashing of clubs that put on tournaments. I have been reviewing those posts and some, as the one mentioned on this thread have been removed. I also keep a record of IP Addresses regarding posts that are inappropriate. As moderator, I will not allow those types of posts when the intent is obvious to do harm to a club. These clubs are putting on tournaments and giving the kids an opportunity to wrestle, anything that could be perceived as being detrimental to a tournament will not be tolerated. That does not mean we can’t be critical of certain components of a tournament, we all welcome constructive criticism in that the intent is to make better, not tear down and destroy.

I recently had a parent email me about a comment made on another thread that has been deleted regarding their child. The comment, made by another person was not accurate, even though it was given under the presumption that the club hosting the tournament did something wrong. The parent stated to me in the email, that it was the kids fought the kid didn’t wrestle, not the club hosting the tournament and that the person making the comment was not correct in their assumption about the child. Again, the person sending me this email was the parent of the child, not the person pretending to be speaking up in defense of the child on the forum topic. After some emails of complaint regarding the post I removed it, since it was the first post of the thread the whole thread went. A reminder that on the kids forum, those types of complaints are best dealt with directly with the club, not on the forum which could end up hurting a club, and thus opportunities of wrestling given to kids across our state.

Re: desoto novice #10734 01/11/05 02:37 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Furches:
One thing that has come up, a lot lately, is bashing of clubs that put on tournaments. I have been reviewing those posts and some, as the one mentioned on this thread have been removed. I also keep a record of IP Addresses regarding posts that are inappropriate. As moderator, I will not allow those types of posts when the intent is obvious to do harm to a club. These clubs are putting on tournaments and giving the kids an opportunity to wrestle, anything that could be perceived as being detrimental to a tournament will not be tolerated. That does not mean we can’t be critical of certain components of a tournament, we all welcome constructive criticism in that the intent is to make better, not tear down and destroy.
So who will be the judge of what is constructive or not? A Derby club member? I'm not sure if my past posts regarding tournaments would be constructive or not but I'll keep posting anyway. Delete them if you feel you must.

Re: desoto novice #10735 01/11/05 02:55 PM
K
ksred Offline
K
just tryn save some problems 4 ya coach . ur response interest me in how u determine whats intenational . u say parents want medals ur just assuming that ! mat time was the reason for being there not to upset anyone. I think wrestling provides the chance to learn sportsmanship on a level above any other sport. It can help mould a childs future. I didnot honestly think there would be problems with going to ur tourney . It was a mistake . I am sure there are other parents in my shoes and tryin help. dont be so hard on someone u never spoken with and remind people that its ur opinion. please say hey to my child and Iam sure u will find it a delightful experience. If u need to yak at me Ill give u my ###

Re: desoto novice #10736 01/11/05 03:12 PM
K
ksred Offline
K
coach Z ur memory should recall itwasnot last year it three years ago . nowhere in the post did it say any thing about "mommy matches" although i dont disagee about that term. dont be a hater be a playa

Re: desoto novice #10737 01/11/05 06:58 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by sportsfan02:
So who will be the judge of what is constructive or not? A Derby club member? I'm not sure if my past posts regarding tournaments would be constructive or not but I'll keep posting anyway. Delete them if you feel you must.
Sportsfan02, if you read the above posts you will see why the posts were deleted. If you are still confused email me. Anyone else confused, email me and I'll be even more specific than I need to be on this forum. While I may not like or agree with some of the things you say sportsfan02, no post was ever deleted for the reason you seem to imply. Anyone who knows me, including the club of which I am involved in knows that I speak my mind on issues, but they will also tell you that I don't run and hide from who I am or what I believe, even if it means disagreeing with them. I have never found value in one hiding their identity which is why I post under my real name and with real contact information. I use my own name, anyone can contact me with questions etc.

Regarding this particular tournament. I don't know about the tournament because I haven't been there. What I do know though is that they are providing an opportunity for kids to wrestle. That seems to me to be far better for the sport than finding a reason to bash them on an open forum.

Re: desoto novice #10738 01/11/05 07:14 PM
K
ksred Offline
K
Mr.Furches , I wish u would put that post back up there so they (people) can read it . nothing was said bad about that club .its seems pretty one sided now. there is 2 sides to every story and there wasnot no rule three years ago thahe could not go there plus if u read what coach wrote ud think that some kid was in there wupping on people and the kid had some kind of attitude problem , thats definitly not the case. the coach is writting stuff on his post that wasnt even in my original post "mommys matches" I never wrote nothing about that at all. U need to be fair and not let people twist it. I said in my orignal that it would cause problems if ur kid won convincely and now read that the other stuff up there u will get twisted sense of whatreally went on 3 years ago. Iwrote to possibly help someone out and relate my experience and get accused of bashing. when u look back ,poor choice but there wasnot any other tourneys close so we paid and went with friends to enjoy the day and the rule was first or second year was it not? so now it seems the rule has been clarified. But still I would not take a talented or aggresive kid that particular tournament even if he was first year wrestler. Becuase it upsets other parents who signup there.

Re: desoto novice #10739 01/11/05 07:19 PM
Mike Furches Offline
ksred, I can't put the post up once deleted. Sorry about that, really. I would recommend going ahead and restating what you was trying to say in your original post.

Re: desoto novice #10740 01/11/05 07:27 PM
Mike Furches Offline
ksred, I do think you make a point worthy of discussion on a talented 1st year kid and taking them to a novice tournament. This is a tough issue that has been debated for some time since the incorporation of Novice Wrestlers. I keep hearing from all of the old timers who say they remember everyone being thrown in together and that it was not all that bad. A true definition of Novice is an area that I still believe needs to be addressed. As I know from my experiences in Oklahoma, it is not just establishing a rule for true novice, but then being able to enforce it.

I took advantage of the rule in Oklahoma when I was new to the sport some years ago, I am not so certain I would do it the same again, but will not say I wouldn't either. I would personally see the issue not with the tournament hosting a novice tournament, but with the parents who have kids wrestling in a novice tournament when they are ready to move up to advanced. Then again, sometimes that development of self-confidence might be one of the things that allow them to excel.

Re: desoto novice #10741 01/11/05 08:51 PM
K
ksred Offline
K
Mr. Furches, thanks 4 responding but I think u agree that maybe that post wasnot really that bad and coach should have read it a couple of times before being so negative about the incident and trying to blow it into a big scandel. if memory serves me right "wrestling parents" had to respond 3 years ago when it took place not knowing any more about it than they do now. If someone thinks they made a mistake its not difficult to fix just say I made a mistake and they misunderstood what was said. I think my post got pulled cause u thought I was doggin that club & someone asked u read it and their in ur click so so u jumped the gun and took it off without tryin to understand where the writer was coming from? I aint mad at ya.

Re: desoto novice #10742 01/11/05 09:24 PM
wrestlingparents Offline
I just want to set myself straight. I do not think I responded 3 years ago because I have only been registered for 1 1/2 years. But I do want you to know that I was responding to Coach Z's examples of who should and should not be in novice.

My son was a first year wrestler that qualified for state, so we obviously saw he should not be in novice and after 2 tournaments and moved him to open. We did it because what was he learning by having 20-30 second matches. Even now when there is another wrestler he comes up against that he has been fortunate enough to beat before, his coaches will have him work on moves instead of pinning him right away. And believe me, the parents still get upset, even in open when their child gets teched in the 1st or 2nd period.

I have never posted anything negative on here about any coach, wrestler or club. Maybe how long a tournament lasted, but heck, who hasn't did that.

Re: desoto novice #10743 01/13/05 05:01 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
I need tournament information for the Desoto Novice:

weigh in times
wrestling start time

Desoto High School address

(Someone walked off with my only tournament flyer)

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: desoto novice #10744 01/13/05 08:12 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
DeSoto Novice
DeSoto High School
3500 West 91st St.
DeSoto KS 66018

DeSoto Kids Wrestling Club
Dean Sheets
(913) 723-3505
desotowrestling@yahoo.com

Richard D. Salyer
Re: desoto novice #10745 01/13/05 12:13 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
weigh in times? start time?

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: desoto novice #10746 01/14/05 02:50 AM
C
Coach_Z Offline
C
Weigh Ins are from 6:00 to 8:00
Coaches meeting 8:30
As long as there are not a huge amount of changes to the brackets, wrestling will start @ 9:00

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,958
Posts250,396
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)