Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults #182757 02/17/11 05:11 PM
D
D_Bainter Offline OP
OP Offline
D
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschool/news/story?id=6131909

Not often you see a High School wrestling article on ESPN homepage.

A high school wrestler in Iowa defaulted a match at state because he had to wrestle a girl. Thought it was interesting.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: D_Bainter] #182761 02/17/11 05:25 PM
powercat1 Offline
WOW, Tough choice for that young man, but the way I see it is the moment you step on the mat you are neither boy nor girl, you are a wrestler!

Summertime wrestling, makes wintertime champions
Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: D_Bainter] #182762 02/17/11 05:27 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote from King of the HIll.....

DALE: Wrestling a girl. That's a tough one, Bobby. If you win, you get the shame of having beat up a girl. If you lose, you just better hope she snaps your neck. That's the quickest way.
BOOMHAUER: Yeah, man, talkin' 'bout you're danged if you do, danged if you don't, man.
BOBBY: Dad, what am I gonna do? I'm danged here, I'm royally danged!

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: sportsfan02] #182766 02/17/11 05:42 PM
WillyM Offline
Was the boy representing a parochial school?

Think we have had a discussion on this forum this year about some parochial schools preventing their boys from wrestling girls.

OOPs! Just read the article. Boy was not from a parochial school. A home schooler wrestling for a public high school. But, said his beliefs prevented him from wrestling a girl. Defaulted not forfeited---In Iowa gets to wrestler in later rounds.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: WillyM] #182776 02/17/11 06:32 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
I applaud that kid and respect his decision to honor the girl.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Chief Renegade] #182780 02/17/11 07:00 PM
Coach Davies Offline
It's easy for some people to say that "if a girl steps on the mat she's not a girl she's just another wrestler." I agree with that to an extent but then I look at it like this: If you've been raised like a gentleman, which is to respect women, not to hit women, open a woman's car door, offer your coat when she's cold, etc. etc... then I wouldn't expect you to just go against what you've been taught your whole life and go out there and kick a girls butt on the mat. I'm just glad I never had to be in that situation I don't know what I would do....Now as for my wrestlers who have to wrestle a girl you better believe I'm out there saying "they are just another wrestler, wrestle just like you would against anyone else!!" =)

Zach Davies
SMNW Cougar Wrestling
Cougar Kids Wrestling
zdavies001@gmail.com
Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Coach Davies] #182786 02/17/11 07:29 PM
Ricky Bobby Offline
Here is another article with some video as well:
For first time, Iowa girl wins a state wrestling match ... by forfeit

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Ricky Bobby] #182815 02/17/11 10:06 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/Hig...1711/?GT1=39002

Updated Feb 17, 2011 5:45 PM ET

DES MOINES, IOWA (AP)
A standout Iowa high school wrestler refused to compete against a girl at the state tournament on Thursday, relinquishing any chance of becoming a champion because he says wrestling a girl would conflict with his religious beliefs.
Looking for more sports scoop? You can count on Brooks to dish it up.
Joel Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore who was 35-4 wrestling for Linn-Mar High School this season, praised his first-round opponent, Cedar Falls freshman Cassy Herkelman, and Ottumwa sophomore Megan Black, who became the first two girls to make the state wrestling tournament in its 85-year history.
But in a brief statement issued through his school, Northrup said he defaulted on his match with Herkelman because he doesn't think boys and girls should compete in the sport.
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," said Northrup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."
There were several thousand fans at Wells Fargo Arena on Thursday, but many were watching other matches when the referee raised Herkelman's hand to signal her win. There was a smattering of cheers and boos from the crowd before Herkelman was whisked into the bowels of the arena.
Tournament organizers declined to make Herkelman available for questions. She entered the tournament with a 20-13 record and will wrestle Friday in the quarterfinals of the 112-pound weight class.
Her father, Bill Herkelman, told The Associated Press via text message that he understands and respects Northrup's decision.
"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northrup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northrup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."
Because he defaulted and didn't forfeit, Northrup was allowed to compete in the consolation rounds, and he won his first match later Thursday by major decision.
He was spared any chance of meeting up with Black, who also wrestles at 112 pounds and was 25-13 entering the tournament, when she was eliminated after being pinned in both of her matches. But it's possible Northrup and Herkelman could be matched again if both make the finals of the consolation bracket.
Northrup's father, Jamie Northrup, is a minister in the Believers in Grace Fellowship, an independent Pentecostal church in Marion that believes young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," said Bill Randles, the church's pastor.
"We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. Body slamming and takedowns, that full contact sport is not how to do that."
Randles said Joel has been involved in wrestling for many years, and he and his family have discussed before the possibility of girls getting involved in the sport.
"It's totally his choice. He's a young man now and he's worked hard to get where he's gotten. It's up to him, and it was his conviction" not to wrestle Herkelman.
FOX SPORTS POLL

• Should a guy wrestle a girl?
o Yes
o No
Black said Northrup refused to wrestle her three years ago, and that she respects him for adhering to his beliefs.
"If it's his religion and he's strong in his religion, then I just respect that," Black said. "Obviously, everyone can be pointing fingers at him. He, at least, is true to his beliefs and you have to respect that. It takes a lot for a 15- or 16-year-old boy to do."
Marth Stetzel, a Perry mother whose two sons were taking part in the tournament, said she also didn't have a problem with Northrup's decision.
"We're really raising kids that are going to be bigger than wrestling, and if it's something that he believes strongly in - which is not necessarily what I would do - you've got to respect a kid like that," Stetzel said.
Wrestling is extremely popular in Iowa, and Black and Herkelman are the first girls to qualify for the state tournament since it was first sanctioned by the Iowa High School Athletic Association in 1926.
According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, more than 6,000 girls competed in wrestling in 2009-10 - compared with nearly 275,000 boys. Though most states require girls to wrestle boys, California, Hawaii, Texas, Washington and Tennessee sponsor girls-only high school wrestling tournaments.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: smokeycabin] #182817 02/17/11 10:09 PM
W
Warriordad Offline
W
My daughter wrestled in middle school and had a young man default a match to her.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Warriordad] #182830 02/17/11 11:46 PM
C
Cray03 Offline
C
Guy or girl they should of wrestled! I dont see why people think guys only wrestle, I have wrestled for 13 years and have never seen a guy default a match to a girl. Thats dumb, on the mat we are all the same 2 people going for a championship.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Cray03] #182838 02/18/11 12:14 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Interesting. I'm struggling to find anything good or positive about a person discriminating against a woman on religious grounds.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Rford] #182840 02/18/11 12:22 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Rford
Interesting. I'm struggling to find anything good or positive about a person discriminating against a woman on religious grounds.

Kind of hard for some to understand but there are many children that are brought up to respect the way they treat the opposite sex. They are taught to be pure in their relationships and a by-product of that would be to avoid touching them in their private areas during a wrestling match. Many would view that as over the top, but I certainly understand. To throw it in the discrimination category is way off base.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Chief Renegade] #182841 02/18/11 12:38 AM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
If you have been raised your entire life to respect women, then it should be obvious what to do should you be faced with this situation. Wrestling her, just as you would a male wrestler, would be the ultimate show of respect.

Steve Earle
Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Ben Dover] #182844 02/18/11 01:02 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
I am just wondering who really made this decision, the kid, or his parents. Women can go to combat now, can't they? I understand he believes he is following his principles, but what does this say to our women in the armed forces, you don't belong??? It must be the calm before the storm that topics like religion and sex discrimination are on these forums.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Ben Dover] #182846 02/18/11 01:14 AM
T
Team Gonzales Offline
T
I feel that as soon as they step on the mat, a wrestler is a wrestler, regardless of gender. Kids Clubs, Middle schools, High schools can't afford to have a seperate wrestling program just for the girls. But if a boy doesn't feel comfortable wrestling a girl, there's no reason to judge his upbringing or beliefs. I'm saying this as a Parent of a female wrestler. Our daughter wrestled and won hundreds of matches (Kids Club, Middle School & High School) all against boys. She placed multiple times on the National/State level, Qualified for 321-A State twice during High School. Of course you come across the Wrestlers, Parents, Coaches and even Officials that don't think girls should be wrestling. But for the most part, everyone was very supportive. We're very thankful that our daughter has had the opportunity to be part of such a wonderful sport, it has made her the person she is today. Good Luck to all the Regional Wrestlers tomorrow! Rodney & Bree Gonzales (Parents of Samantha Gonzales, Lakin)

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Team Gonzales] #182858 02/18/11 01:57 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote from King of the Hill.....

PEGGY: Title IX of the Civil Rights Act clearly prohibits sex discrimination in public schools, and guarantees equal athletic opportunities for all boys and girls.
COACH: Yeah, well, Roe vs. Wade doesn't apply to my wrestling team.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: Team Gonzales] #182862 02/18/11 02:27 AM
dalefish1 Offline
Mr Steve Earle:

If you have been raised your entire life to respect women, then it should be obvious what to do should you be faced with this situation. Wrestling her, just as you would a male wrestler, would be the ultimate show of respect.

Why then, do Schools have girls basketball as opposed to a basketball team (girls and boys).
The ultimate show of respect would be to have one team (boys and girls, whoever makes the team). I say lets give the women the ultimate show of respect.

And while we are treating humans equally, lets let Mickelson, and Woods play on the Ladies golf
Tour, And Nadal, and Federer play in a women’s tennis tourney.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: dalefish1] #182863 02/18/11 02:39 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
And, if they did, do you think Tiger Woods would just forfeit a tourney which allowed women in??? They separate it to keep it more competitive, which is even a greater compliment to young ladies involved. They succeeded agaist the odds. Its almost like saying you wouldn't wrestle a kids with special needs. You know, out of respect. Steve Earle is completely right, too bad so many are too narrow minded to see.

Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: John Johnson] #182866 02/18/11 02:49 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Wrestle a girl, don't wrestle a girl, it is your choice. It doesn't matter that much to me. As with Kansas, and I am sure a number of other states, Iowa allows female high school wrestlers to compete in wrestling. So the only choice that you can make as a wrestler, as the wrestler's parents or as their coaches, is wrestle the girl, or don't wrestle the girl. If you choose not too for whatever reason, no problem. If you wrestle them and wipe the mat with them, no problem. If you choose to wrestle them and they whip you, that is wrestling.

Lee Girard
Re: Rather than face girl, Iowa wrestler defaults [Re: ReDPloyd] #182878 02/18/11 03:33 AM
C
coachjw Offline
C
I don't really think it's news. The guy didn't wrestle her... big deal. We move on. As soon as they have a womens only program like Texas, then my daughter will never wrestle a boy again. Until then, it's your choice, she don't really care. As for a boy touching her privates... Thank God you all support a boy touching another boys privates. What the Heck?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 156 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)