Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: Cokeley] #191692 08/10/11 11:36 AM
B
back in the day Offline
B
sleep Deprivation is a wonderful thing ( i have quadruplet daughters- now 17- but back in the day...I cant remember...)

We always have to over come adversity in life and in wrestling. That is what makes wrestling so great.

The hot dorms and interuption of sleep is a slippery slope for a reason for poor preformance.
How many of the AA at fargo slept in the dorms?

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: back in the day] #191696 08/10/11 02:09 PM
Cokeley Offline
It may be a slippery slope but if you have a choice why would you choose to make it more difficult? It is not about excuses but more about how do you improve your chances. That is what the post is about. How do we improve. Someone said it earlier, if a wrestler's parents are there why in the world wouldn't our state organization embrace letting a wrestler stay with his parents? Why would the coaches shame a wrestler who wanted to stay in a room with AC when it was so hot and humid in the dorms? There is absolutely no common sense explanation. There is no argument that an athlete will not be at his peak if he has had to endure several nights of those conditions. Call it an excuse or just call it the facts. The top three teams did NOT stay in the dorms.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: Cokeley] #191698 08/10/11 03:17 PM
M
MikeHunt Offline
M
Maybe we should create a position for a guy to, right before the kansas wrestler goes on the mat, to slap him on the back of the head to knock his momma's teet out of his mouth so heis ready to wrassle. Maybe I am just too old school for this mentality. Tough kids win and not as tough kids sometimes dont. I have had my tail kicked and it was because the other guy was better than me. When I got tired of getting my but kicked, I worked harder and won more. We can say what we want- but a kid not used to AC, out hauling hay, getiin in a little trouble on a Friday night is a kid that is gonna win alot of times when all training opportunities are equal. So yes Will I do agree with you, as a parent its my job to make sure my child is tough enough to compete at the level that I as a parent wish- like in other states.

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: MikeHunt] #191699 08/10/11 03:32 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
We have to get FSGR participation to increase, in order for our state to do better. I mentioned the two tourneys at Andale this year that hardly anyone showed up for. There were very few competitive matches at those tourneys. How does a kid get better, if the other good kids don't show up?

Contrary to what some people think, we need each other to get better. It is the reason we have open room nights at our practices during folkstyle season. I know it makes our kids better, and I know it makes the kids that come over better.

We have to have the same mentality during FSGR season. Someone earlier mentioned that we have too many FSGR teams in the Wichita area. That is a good point.

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: doug747] #191721 08/12/11 09:57 PM
W
wrestle nuts Offline
W
We just need more of the training sessions, I believe the kids that want to get better will show up to wrestle. Its like anything else the more you practice with good coaching and create good habits the better you will get. I know some of the kids will wrestle on there own during the week but without coaching bad habits can get started. Solid structured practices is the only way to get better. More wrestles won't help if they dont get the proper training, coaching and mat time, you will just have more wrestlers that aren't ready to compete.

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: wrestle nuts] #191738 08/14/11 09:13 PM
321a Wrestler Offline
We need to keep our kids hungry cut the folkstyle season down either divide it up so kids under 8 dont wrestle 50 matches a year and the same 3 or 4 kids 10 times a year. As long as wrestling is fresh and new and exciting kids will continue to come back. Maybe we need to educate our parents I recently wached the 2004 D1 finals and 2 kansas wrestlers back to back I would say those 2 kids wrestled a lot in the summer And when they were involved in summer wrestling then our success rate was a lot higher in the summer. I just think that when kids are 4 or 5 years old out of 10 kids maybe 1 or 2 are ready to set and listen and comprehend

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: 321a Wrestler] #191746 08/15/11 09:34 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Originally Posted By: 321a Wrestler
We need to keep our kids hungry cut the folkstyle season down either divide it up so kids under 8 dont wrestle 50 matches a year and the same 3 or 4 kids 10 times a year. As long as wrestling is fresh and new and exciting kids will continue to come back. Maybe we need to educate our parents I recently wached the 2004 D1 finals and 2 kansas wrestlers back to back I would say those 2 kids wrestled a lot in the summer And when they were involved in summer wrestling then our success rate was a lot higher in the summer. I just think that when kids are 4 or 5 years old out of 10 kids maybe 1 or 2 are ready to set and listen and comprehend

I think we have plenty of high school kids that fit that description also!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: wrestle nuts] #191870 08/28/11 01:35 AM
J
jerry davis Offline
J
I agree it takes good coaching and a lot of support to become a good wrestler. I think that more of us need to promote wrestling all the time. Every time I see a family I know I ask if they are wrestling this year, try to keep them excited.

I also believe that if you sign up to coach you need to be there all the time or as much as possible. Coaches need to breathe eat and sleep wrestling.If your not there then why should they be there.It makes it a part time sport.

We need to promote summer wrestling more and get off this kick of burning them out. A burnout will burnout no matter what.Most good college wrestlers wrestled summer freestyle and greco.Doesn't mean that at 4 your need to wrestle 60 matches,but you can up the total every year or so.Start slow and work up to wrestling in the summer by 10 or 12.

We let our kids play 70-80 games a yr in baseball.But only have them wrestle 4 tournaments.

I try to sell the fact that wresting helps with other sports,just so we can get good partners for practice.

Last year I went to the elementary school my son goes to and explained what wrestling was and how it was done in a all school assembly. That way we can promote wrestling more in our community.

Tell you club members to look at talk forums. I find out a lot of things on here that keep us involved.

Make handouts to pass out at the end of the school year.most schools will let you send them home in packets.Or make posters talking about it like boy scouts or other organization.

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: Cokeley] #192118 09/18/11 10:07 PM
A
AndrewFTW Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
It may be a slippery slope but if you have a choice why would you choose to make it more difficult? It is not about excuses but more about how do you improve your chances. That is what the post is about. How do we improve. Someone said it earlier, if a wrestler's parents are there why in the world wouldn't our state organization embrace letting a wrestler stay with his parents? Why would the coaches shame a wrestler who wanted to stay in a room with AC when it was so hot and humid in the dorms? There is absolutely no common sense explanation. There is no argument that an athlete will not be at his peak if he has had to endure several nights of those conditions. Call it an excuse or just call it the facts. The top three teams did NOT stay in the dorms.

Well said and amen.

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: AndrewFTW] #192319 09/28/11 11:00 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Hakuna Matata Kansas wrestling, means no worries, all is well.
I just think it was a case of we had some of our best kids out and some of our best kids that went still did great but just came up a little short.

Re: Fargo 2012: How to improve KS in the Standings [Re: XGHSWC] #193367 11/10/11 04:50 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
1st my kid is ony 10. We did some free/gre this year. We ran in to a wall. Hard to find any good partners.Doing moves with a 15 year old is just hard on A 10 year old.There seems to be NO learning curve for new kids at young ages in Free/gre.

2nd Cokeley may have some thing here on working for what you want. As in the kids.For my son and I it is about life,not just winning.If you work hard better things will come.We where at every practice.Every nite we went there seem to be difrant boys.If the boys put the work in to it they should get extras.If they only make a few practices they should get less.Some times the best kids dont come to practice. I think that sucks for all the kids.We need the best kids there to push the good kids to the top. We also need them there to hone there skills.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,956
Posts250,393
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)