Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Track Wrestling #198379 02/05/12 12:53 AM
S
Sig Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was wondering why some clubs do not use track for their tournament? I understand that it is not doable for some clubs to run it live during the event but what about afterwards. Although it may be time consuming to go back afterwards and input I think it would assist the clubs and districts greatly. It helps clubs track how their kids are doing and evaluate those they are wrestling. I also would like to think it would help at districts when seeding kids.

Thoughts?

Re: Track Wrestling [Re: Sig] #198388 02/05/12 01:21 AM
Allie Offline
We used it today at the Effingham Wrestling Tournament. There were quite a few hoops to jump through to get it set up. First, to the school board to get permission to use their network, laptops & printers, then for our person to spend some time at another tournament to start learning how to use it. Convincing that wonderful woman from the tournament to come and help us use it today. Having our school districts computer tech person on site to fix any issues that may arise. Finally, convincing people to actually sit all day and enter the info into the system (under pressure...the refs really don't have time to worry about whether you have your wits about you!!)
All in all I would say that it is definitely worth the time and effort necessary to get it done! I would've hated to have to go back and enter the information after the fact. If you are going to use Track Wrestling...use it live.

Re: Track Wrestling [Re: Allie] #198392 02/05/12 01:32 AM
S
Sig Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Glad it worked for you! What if you went with how some teams did it and had a couple people in another room entering the results as they brought bout sheets back? Would that save some of the pressure and still meet the "live" theory? Just curious as to what is the best method since this may be our issue if we host a tournament someday.

Re: Track Wrestling [Re: Sig] #198394 02/05/12 01:42 AM
Allie Offline
I think that would work. You probably wouldn't have too much of a lag in bouts vs. results if you were able to have a computer set up for each match and entered them as they were brought in. That would take the pressure off.
Don't forget to consider how you would handle updating brackets so that once you get a few rounds out people know what their match number is - some people rely on their smart phones to just pull up the brackets and see when their kid is up next.
I really like that the results are all there as soon as the tournament is over.

Re: Track Wrestling [Re: Sig] #198652 02/07/12 02:25 PM
R
rbm Offline
R
There are alternatives. If you don't want to be bothered with worrying about your internet connections (going "live" is nice but has a lot associated with it) and wi-fi problems, use a stand-alone program. Still get immediate results any time during the tournament or at the end, able to fix those problems where someone circled the wrong winner on the bout slip, you can make your last minute bracket changes or change the spelling of someones last name so their Mom isn't on your case all day (been there). One good one is Tournament Plus software. We have been using it for a long time. Like anything else, the more you use it, the more comfortable you get with it, and the more it will do. More info at www.BrownBagData.com

Last edited by rbm; 02/08/12 12:16 PM.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)