Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Novice 2 years? #210143 12/12/12 05:07 PM
C
Countrygirl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was talking to a friend the other day and she has started her two young sons this year. The club they are with got a card for the older one (4) but the parents wanted to wait to get a card for the 3 year old so he would get 2 years in Novice still.

The club they are with told them that Novice is not being held to 2 years anymore. That it's based on them mastering certain moves. I have heard nothing about this and wonder how it would be controlled.

So the question is, is this true or is the club blowing smoke up their butts?

Re: Novice 2 years? [Re: Countrygirl] #210147 12/12/12 06:03 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
In normal novice tournament some say 1-2 years experience. Is there some 3 year kids like the 3 yrs old that would qualify?

IMO yes, but that wold also depend on the skill level and like you said mastering moves.

There are novice tournaments like Derby Novice championship that state 1st year wrestlers only.

The state looked into try to define or "track" this some how, and it was very difficult if I rememeber.

It really comes down to parent and coaches putting the kids where they should be, and not trophy hunting in the novice division.

Keep in mind if that 3 or 4 yr old is wrestling in your club without a USAW card there is a level of liability the club, school or building is open to.

I require a card for everyone even if they just want to practice and never go to a tournament.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Novice 2 years? [Re: Countrygirl] #210148 12/12/12 06:05 PM
F
Forum reader Offline
F
Yes!! The annual question about what makes a Novice. One of you moderators should make a specific category for this and insert all responses from years past.

Countrygirl, don't feel bad, this comes up every year. You will hear all kinds of responses. First year wrestlers only; 1-2 wrestlers only; placed in 4 or more open tourneys = not novice; up to the club; up the parent; up to the tournament.

In short, there is no set answer. The club is not blowing smoke. They can decide what they want it to mean.

But, in my view so should the parents and coaches on a kid-by-kid basis.

It's the old phrase, you will know it when you see it. Don't take advantage of kids by keeping your wrestler in novice too long. But give the kid a fighting chance, even if it means he/she is a multi-year wrestler and just has not got it. It should become pretty obvious when they should move up.

Talk to your coach and don't worry about hard and fast rules; for the most part, there are none.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 147 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)