Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: open rooms [Re: doug747] #211360 01/10/13 08:11 PM
J
Jeff Smith Offline
J
"There are 38 states that have dual participation in some form in swimming, most of them with competition and practices. Seven totally ban it, and we're one of those, and five states don't offer swimming,"

How many of these 38 states that allow dual participation... have school sponsored sports?

fyi, it's a trick question.

Re: open rooms [Re: RedStorm] #211361 01/10/13 08:14 PM
Cokeley Offline
Question for Bill...

If we remove sports from the public schools, will we get a $1 for $1 tax reduction? How many administrators would it remove? We can start going down the path of spending on our dime but not letting us have a say... I don't trust Joe Blow Superintendent to know how to raise my kid nor do I think that Gary M and KSHSAA know any better than most of the wrestling parents in this state. It seems that there has to be a better way. KSHSAA is SO slow to change ANYTHING.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: open rooms [Re: GregMann] #211362 01/10/13 08:21 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: GregMann
I agree with Mr. DeWitt and also with a comment he made earlier. . . to do what it is being advocated by many on here will lead to the demise of school-sponsored sports along with the rise of European-style club sport; and, I add. . . the loss of quality sports instruction and supervision other than only for the rich elite

During this stream I feel that I have indirectly been called overzealous and now rich elite... I don't feel any of those apply. I would describe myself as dedicated and passionate.

The no child left behind concept and the KSHSAA rules all look to hold the top down in hopes of bringing the bottom up and meeting in the middle. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! The top will pull the bottom up to a higher level if given the freedom to choose and the opportunity to excel. Administrators across the state are trying to muzzle guys like Jeff, Doug, and myself because they don't want to be passionate and invest in excellence. Strive for perfection and though you might not achieve it you will find excellence. If you are not making changes to improve then you are standing still and getting passed.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: open rooms [Re: GregMann] #211363 01/10/13 08:22 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: GregMann
I agree with Mr. DeWitt and also with a comment he made earlier. . . to do what it is being advocated by many on here will lead to the demise of school-sponsored sports along with the rise of European-style club sport; and, I add. . . the loss of quality sports instruction and supervision other than only for the rich elite

Who is paying the bill for these activities? Those paying the bill will decide whether or not they disappear not those who are sucking the well dry and asking for more water.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: open rooms [Re: Cokeley] #211364 01/10/13 08:35 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Save your breath and keyboard Will. You are obviously preaching to the choir on this one.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: open rooms [Re: Cokeley] #211365 01/10/13 08:38 PM
RedStorm Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Question for Bill...

If we remove sports from the public schools, will we get a $1 for $1 tax reduction? How many administrators would it remove? We can start going down the path of spending on our dime but not letting us have a say... I don't trust Joe Blow Superintendent to know how to raise my kid nor do I think that Gary M and KSHSAA know any better than most of the wrestling parents in this state. It seems that there has to be a better way. KSHSAA is SO slow to change ANYTHING.

As much time as I have wasted on this post today, clearly we could stand to lose an administrator around here. When you lose faith in the school system, home school is always an option for you Will. So is freedom of coice between schools.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: open rooms [Re: RedStorm] #211369 01/10/13 09:53 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
School vouchers??!! Create some competition, and our schools would all do just as Will stated about wrestling. The top will pull the bottom up.........but of course monopolies are only legal when you are dealing with our public school system, the post office, etc. Of which all are in a mess.....

Re: open rooms [Re: doug747] #211383 01/11/13 03:11 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Red Storm, just got to read your comments, boy do you take things out of context. I can see you have thought about this alot and really have the best interest of the kids in mind. But, the road to hel# is paved with good intentions. You appear to be saying the needs of the individual and the needs of the team cannot co-exist. In fact, you appear to be advocating for kids to sacrafice for the good of the COACH AND SCHOOL. I do not believe the 2 cannot co-exist. Wrestling is a unique sport, the needs of the individual and the needs of the team should be the same... for the sport to work properly. Is there really any evidence to support the idea that opening up club wrestling to middle school and high school wrestlers, would destroy the sport. I very much doubt it. I really do believe all on this thread have good intentions, but the current system is designed to 'dumb' things down. Kind of like the rules in some states that say you cannot wait an extra year to start your kid in school*...it would be so unfair if someone had an advantage!! Have a good weekend.. John

*I believe the Chicago School System will not let a parent decide their kid is not mature enough for shcool and wait an extra year to start their child, they are mandated they enroll their child as soon as the age fits. The parent loses all control. They obivously do not know what is best for their child. We must keep thing fair. If we follow some of the logic on here that will be the next rule for Kansas parents.

Re: open rooms [Re: doug747] #211384 01/11/13 03:22 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
I still do not get it no one is saying to get rid of school sports.Doing club and school will just make the kids better.At least it will help the ones that want to strive to get better.There is no way you can help the ones that just want to float.
If the clubs and school worked to geather on the same page,just think how good the kids will be.I fill the school coaches should know what the clubs teach.Just as the clubs should know what the school likes to teach.
This ms crap only hurts the kids in little schools and in late seasions.If my school was done befor xmas,it would not be a big deal.

Re: open rooms [Re: CWB] #211392 01/11/13 12:46 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline
H
I would like to see youth wrestling stop after 6th grade. I would also like to see Free/Greco start up shortly after the High School State(no folk-style until following season). I would also like to see the FR/GR state and Southern plains later in the summer closer to Jr. and Cadet nationals. I would also like to see M.S. wrestling start in late fall, have a regional and a state tourney.

Re: open rooms [Re: Hull DWC] #211396 01/11/13 01:08 PM
M
MSvikings Offline
M
Cream will always rise to the top everytime. Our club had its first state champion last spring in the clubs history. Everyone wants to be a state champion in our room now. Is everyone going to a state champion? The answer is no. But they can workout like they can be. This new atmosphere in the room has turn our two and out kids into 3rd and 4th placer kids now. The confidence in these young men has even reached the novice kids who want to play around.

It is about choices. If the KSHAA would open their eyes and see that the change in this rule would be a great thing. If your wrestlers wants more time let them get more time in on the mat. If the wrestler does not want more time then don't. The kids who want more should not be punshied. I wonder if anyone told Bill Gates 1 million dollars is enough? Just a thought so why stop kids from bettering them selves in a sport they love?

Josh Parker Mission Valley

Re: open rooms [Re: MSvikings] #211415 01/11/13 06:29 PM
RedStorm Offline
Nothing has been taken out of context. It was asked what the harm is in allowing kids to simultaneously compete for their club and their Middle School or High School. I gave you the reason - basically because it will lead to the elimination of school sponsored programs and DECREASE opportunities for kids. You are giving states reasons to elimate funding for extra-curricular activities and without state funding, who is going to pay for it and why would you pay for it when there is a club team that apparently does a better job?

Wrestling is more than just a unique sport. Wrestling is the greatest sport known to mankind. My rationale is not to deprive kids of choices. My rationale is to ensure that wrestling programs can be preserved as an extention of the school curriculum. We are one of several sports and they all want more time during the school year. We are fortunate to have the ability to coach our kids as much as we want through the summer without penalty. If we make exceptions here and there, then all sports will want exceptions here and there and eventually the integrity of interscholastic school competitions are nonexistent.

This isn't about fairness. You are not being asked to have your quicker wrestlers wear ankle weights during practice to slow them down. This is about supporting the school teams, so yes, that means committing to the program's coach and school.

If you don't think I care about our sport and that I don't want to allow opportunities for our kids to get better, then quite frankly, you don't know a thing about me.

A newly released 2013 annual rankins from Education Week has our schools ranked 37th in the country based on 13 indicators, such as high school graduation, family income and preschool and kindergarten enrollment. Clearly, we have bigger fish to fry than a handful of exceptional wrestlers who feel they must compete in both programs in order to successfully advance their educations.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: open rooms [Re: RedStorm] #211419 01/11/13 07:57 PM
Mahan Offline
my question was not about competing simultaneously, but rather being allowed to compete after the high school or MS season during March April May. What is the possible harm in allowing HS coaches to work with their kids during those times? What are the benefits in restricting those opportunities? Who is hurt if I coach an 8th grade stud at a tournament over Christmas? or take a freshman and work with him throughout the kids state tournament series? Who is possibly hurt by that except our opponents who don't want to put in that time? and in America that should be their problem, not mine. If I want to coach 9 months a year and I got kids willing to wrestle 9 months a year, who is hurt, and how is there any possible benefit to those restrictions. KSHSAA is ridiculous with that....grrrrrr

Re: open rooms [Re: RedStorm] #211438 01/12/13 04:32 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Scare tactics.........BS

Unbelievable

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 234 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,953
Posts250,389
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)