Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Past Solid Programs Fallen #213874 02/12/13 03:06 AM
T
tking Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Curious of High School programs who once were solid or much better then just solid year end and year out who have fallen dramtically.

The one that jumps out at me is Eudora. Is pathetic what their administration has done there. No way with the once successful program should be this bad. New schools, larger classes, Jr High program, ten times the athletes that once walked those halls. No excuse other not caring about putting decent coaches in place.

Re: Past Solid Programs Fallen [Re: tking] #213875 02/12/13 03:22 AM
H
Hilbillywrassler Offline
H
How many state champions does Eudora have in its history? I'm not real familiar with their program. I remember a heavyweight a couple of years ago. Have they fallen off the map?

Re: Past Solid Programs Fallen [Re: Hilbillywrassler] #213912 02/12/13 02:13 PM
T
tking Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Traditionally they were one of those teams that was top three in regionals and took 7 plus kids to state but would "choke" or have very bad performances at state. Up unitl mid to late 90s were 321A. Always were one of top teams though in Eastern part of state and just had a horrible time with style and reffing difference at Hays. Coaching, peaking, cutting wieght, however they just always had terrible performances. A few kids that never lost a match except at the state tournament. A handful of placers until first champ in 90 with a finalist or champ and placers each year through 96 or 97. One year should (should of could of) have made a serious run at title (previoius champ and runner up not placing, a non place who had majored eventual champ not placing and two others not placing that should have) had unbelievabley bad tournament. I know for a 10 year span worst place at regionals was runner up. All that without a Jr High program, a wrestling room, just a small stage area with a curtain stopping from a 4 foot drop off unto gym floor.
I think 4 or 5 champs and over 20 medalists. Last year and this year they have literally been horrible with only scoring one point at regionals last year. So with back to back state final football trips, a nice room, great facility, and a much larger student body (and athletic) to choose from the program is non existent. The adiministration had an assistant (an assistant the parents wanted) three years ago that was making a difference but the head coaches ego (a head coach with little to no experiance) couldnt work with the fact he was no more then a name. The assistant was tired of the situation and left to a school that just happened to have the best state finish in history when he entered the room. The coaching staff at Eudora has fallend off each year more and more and is obvious the administration could care less how bad they are. Is embarassing and from someone who lived and breathed that program for a long time is sickening. From miles away and knowing the truth of the matter is just another example of wrestling not getting the support it deserves from a district that has the funds and facilities to let it prosper.

Now that all that is away curious if there are other programs such as this. I realize a lot of the stud programs out west have fallen off strictly becuase the communities are dwindling and that cant be really helped by the administrations. And I love the fact that many schools have started programs over that past 25 years. Is a great inexpensive sport for a school to keep going. We all know the character and self discipline that it instills in young men. Not only the young men but also the families that interact and become life long friends through traveling together. Think of the freinds of not only competitors, but the parents of those you competed against that you remember or still keep in touch with. I enjoy reading the congratulation posts from people about how they watched so and so grow up. God provided me with three wonderful girls and even though people were always warned not to date a wrestler, I hope they do date some (maybe just become good friends with) so I can follow them. I truly miss the sport which was my life for 35 years and that is probably why I have so much trouble with the Eudora program that was so strong and could be a elite program with the right people behind it.

After this post/ novel best of luck to all the wrestlers this week either preparing to qualify for the first time, wanting to make sure they finish high enough to solidify the state setting, and to the coaches already figuring points and brackets (I really miss that), and even a few coaches worrying how their catholic schools wont allow a wrestler to wrestle a girl (which will have some major effects on both the regional and state) and if it will be effecting them, the other or both.

Parents, kids, and coaches, enjoy the ride, once your out you will miss it...

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)