Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: State Concessions #19089 03/28/06 02:32 PM
C
CRZEMOM Offline
C
The problem I have with this is, I'm trying to teach my kids right from wrong -- it's not really "right" to break the rules because I don't agree with them, because that tells him that if he doesn't agree with a rule, he can break it too!

To the committee -- please continue to work on this problem, because it is a real problem, as stated above, many of us are strapped by the end of the season. Also, the "healthy" foods available at the concession stands are a joke -- pb&j and granola bars -- give me a break, peanut allergies are some of the most common and worst there are. That doesn't leave much of a choice. Granola bars -- they ran out of early on Sunday anyway. Running out to the parking lot is also not really a good plan either -- you have to lug all your stuff down and up stairs many times as it is, can't leave it all behind - time is a worry - There is enough stress at State as it is! Stress of the fun kind of course, but stress never-the-less!

Re: State Concessions #19090 03/28/06 02:48 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Got to comment on this. Last week at the NCAAs I paid $5.50 for 6 chicken tenders, a large fry and a soft drink combo. Not cheap but not bad, I actually didnt mind paying that for the concession. My wife purchased one drink here for $3.75, then someone knocked it over, thankfully they gave her a refill. I have to be honest here, I have an issue with the tournament in Topeka. For the last two years, the staff at the motel have been rude, there is not enough restaurants in the area, and while we always hear a big spill from the politicians about how they are glad we are there, while at the same time telling us about basketball. In the 4 years there, I have personally never felt welcomed by the community.

I went along with about 50 friends and wrestlers after the tournament to CiCis Pizza off of Wannamaker. They werent prepared for the number of people, complained about the people, and then complained about the mess the wrestlers left, even yelling at two of them. Truth is it wasn't any mess other than a bunch of kids eating pizza.

I went to another establishment on Saturday night, had to wait for over an hour and was never seated, I ended up leaving. Got back to the motel, they closed their restaurant at 8:00 asked about room service, had to go to the front desk to get a menu, then called room service and they wouldnt deliver because they didnt have enough people working.

On Saturday morning I had to bang on the door at the arena to get in early. The person sitting RIGHT AT THE DOOR, continued to ignore me, although it was mandatory that I be there at 7:00 AM on Saturday morning. Again, it is obvious to me, that many in the community dont want, dont appreciate, us being there. Sure the owners of the establishments might, but they need to communicate that to their staff as to how to communicate appreciation to the customers which we are. I haven't even mentioned the mandatory 2 night stay at the hotels, and the jacked up prices.

As some of my friends in the south might say, Ive got 3 words for you. Wi Chi Ta!.

Maybe not now, but after the arena is completed for sure. At that point we will have negotiating power because at that point we will have competition.

Now as far as the wrestling family, and the job they did on running everything, 3 more words BEAU TI FUL

Re: State Concessions #19091 03/28/06 02:49 PM
B
B. Hampton Offline
B
Before I start whining about the concession prices and security personnel... the tournament was great and the people in charge did an AWESOME job. I can't even imagine the work that goes into the tournament to make it run so smoothly. The ladies at the head table did an excellent job and even entertained us with some great dancing! Now for the whining. What if all the clubs decided to tailgate next year. If every club could get together and organize it maybe we could force the concession prices down. I realize most people will have to buy gatorade for their wrestler, but let's try to not buy anything else. I have no idea if this would help with prices the next year, but it would definitely send a message regarding price gouging. It's absolutely ridiculous to pay $3.00 for a bottle of water!

Re: State Concessions #19092 03/28/06 03:00 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Harrington:
During this topic at the executive meeting when we looked at the different proposals the Wichita bid presenters said they would not search and seize the participants bags and goodies. The Wichita bid was also a better cost but the powers that be elected to stay in Topeka for another 3 years. Also something that was very surprising was that Dist. 4 also voted to go back to Topeka. Guess they enjoy the extra drive time. If you want changes I suggest that you get involved at the district and state level so you can have a positive voice at the executive level. I will add that State this year was very smooth running. The state tournament committee did a fantastic job.
I would like to hear the reasoning to this, especially if the promise was made in Wichita to not search and seize, and the bid was cheaper. Not saying it was the wrong decision, but with the ongooing complaints about Topeka, maybe it is time they understand there is another option.

Re: State Concessions #19093 03/28/06 03:37 PM
Nedly Offline
Mike,

I have many horror story's to share from my stays in Wichita. I have spent thousands of dollars staying in that wonderful city for wrestling, basball, and soccer. I have had to wait for ever to get into a restaurant, I have been awaken by the police department because my car is in a crime scene after a shoot out. I have had someone taking a leak outside on my hotel door in the middle of the night. All differnt hotels in differnt parts of the city. I have been rip off by a garage after my car broke down.

Bottom line I still go back cause I have many postive experince's in Wichita. Just like I had good and bad experiences in Topeka.

I know how I voted at the last meeting, and I make no excuses for my for. Both Topeka and Wichita would be great choices to host this wonderful event.

Ned

Re: State Concessions #19094 03/28/06 03:43 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Ned, don't get me wrong, I am curious as to why not Wichita if conditions stated are true. I can give you horror stories of the arena here as well. It is why I stated in a few years once the new arena is complete. At that point we have comp in Wichita as well which I believe will make both venues better. By the way, Ned, if in Wichita, you can stay here at the house and save some money on the motel.

Re: State Concessions #19095 03/28/06 04:10 PM
windjammer Offline OP
OP Offline
Ned,
I appreciate your efforts in this matter, and understand what you say about football concessions and lost revenue for your games concessions, but to me the circumstances are very different. First, if I go to a football game, basketball game or a concert, then I am looking at being at the venue for 2-3 hours. I can make it through this time period easily with one or two or even zero concession needs. We are basically 2 day captives at state wrestling, and families with multiple wrestlers and coaches with multiple wrestlers just can't always go to the parking lot for lunch. Secondly, we don't participate at your football games, so eating "real food" is not that important. At state wrestling, however, these kids need proper nutrition to be able to compete at their highest level. Again, I think we all expect to pay higher than Sam's Club prices at something like this, but compared to other events and venues I have been to, these prices seem especially inflated.

Again I sincerely thank you for your efforts.

Re: State Concessions #19096 03/28/06 04:15 PM
A
A. Oncewas Offline
A
First of all, it was brought up that District 4 voted for the event to be in Topeka even though it was a longer drive. That probably says more than anything about where the objective person feels the event should be held. There is no chance it is ever going to be held "close by" for those people. Having grown up in District 4 I can tell you they make it to events at all the arenas/towns in one sport or another and aren't voting blindly.

Secondly, while I agree the concessions were outrageous I simply didn't eat them. (There's a Sonic right down 21st street.) However, I do agree that the ExpoCentre's security staff were way out of line, completely unprofessional, and down right rude at times. I was literally yelled at on a couple of occasions. Once was the THIRD time the same guy asked to see my coach's badge. I kept tucking it into my shirt while coaching because it was flopping around. Now, I would have been more understanding if it was a "new" security guy... but the SAME ONE!?!? I remembered his ugly mug, surely he could've remembered mine after the SECOND time. The second time I was yelled at was before I realized there were specified up/down stairwells. Rather than say "Sorry sir, you have to use THAT stairwell to go up" and point me the right way, this jack*** just steps in front of me and yells "DOWN ONLY!!"

Give some guys a little authority and... I wonder if at some point this past weekend I didn't come into contact with the next BTK.

Troy Reitcheck
Re: State Concessions #19097 03/28/06 04:35 PM
S
Smuggler Offline
S
TAILGATE FOR STATE. PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS.

Smuggler
Re: State Concessions #19098 03/28/06 04:43 PM
R
rhwrestler55 Offline
R
Yeah everyone should tailgate next year...it might help the prices...But did anyone eat at the concessions? I had to one time because I needed something to eat but didn't have enough time to leave. The food they served was horrible. I got a pretzel and i couldn't even eat all of it was so bad . I usually never buy things at the concession stand but the one time i do i spend $3.00 on a cold pretzel. Everyone tailgate next year maybe they will get the point when they don't make any money. And by the way the tournment was ran great..good job!

Re: State Concessions #19099 03/28/06 09:04 PM
voice of reason Offline
Topeka restaurants and businesses arent just rude to out of town guests, they are rude to their own residents. Hopefully that isnt an attitude that is prevalent in most places now.

Sincerely,

James
Re: State Concessions #19100 03/28/06 09:20 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
SALINA then since Wichita and Topeka have horror stories! LOL

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: State Concessions #19101 03/29/06 01:45 AM
lil_sharpe_007 Offline
I went to a mexican restaurant called Rosa's with my family that lives up there on saturday night and it was great....The manager came out and talked to us and he was really friendly. As for Aaron's idea of Salina I would like it...bc at high school state the concessions didn't have much of a selection other than regular like baseball field cocnessions....but the prices were very reasonable....a bottle of water only cost like 1.00 I say after the three year contract with topeka they should consider Salina.

"No Excuses"-Kyle Maynard
Re: State Concessions #19102 03/29/06 05:36 AM
N
notinks Offline
N
I would say if we can get out of the contract with topeka we should. Because theese prices are very outrages. Because it is a burdon for families to spend that much for food. If a family of 4 got a prezal and a large coke it would cost them 23.00 come on something needs to be done about this.

Re: State Concessions #19103 03/29/06 05:45 AM
B
bubbowski Offline
B
next year i am going to set my grill up in the parking lot and sell burgers for 2 bucks apiece

Re: State Concessions #19104 03/29/06 12:55 PM
wrestlingparents Offline
I have talked to many parents and everyone is in agreement that we should tailgate next year.
I know my husband does a mean brisket and pulled pork on the smoker.

Re: State Concessions #19105 03/29/06 09:59 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M
For the past four years, I have enjoyed the walk and company of Sonic. I refuse to spend any money at the concession stand. So, I walk to Sonic (only about two blocks from the Arena) several times a day bringing back food for my family. When it was really cold and raining, we would eat in the car. This year, it was so beautiful outside, we ate at the top of the steps. There were coupons for Sonic inside the programs which made it even a better deal. There were only four of us and we spent roughly about 15.00 a meal. Another place people have suggested is to go across the street to the Horse barn. There is a grill inside that sells a mean hamburger. I also have been known to sneak in food to the tournaments. It will become a simple supply and demand business model. If people don't purchase anything, they will not make any money and be forced to lower their prices. If people continue to buy items, they will continue to charge the high prices.
I like the idea of just setting up a grill outside on the sidewalk or parking lot. Looks like a great way to make money but is it legal? I wonder if the higher up people who control the Arena have a clause in the contract that does not allow this to occur. You can have food in your cars but can you charge people for it? If so, it would be a great money maker for a club.

Re: State Concessions #19106 03/30/06 05:02 PM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
I was just wondering if they would be able to tell us that we couldn't set up a grill in the parking lot, and if we were allowed to do this, will they start charging us for parking? I love the idea of tailgating, but can we get away with it?

Re: State Concessions #19107 03/30/06 05:22 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
They might be able to stop you from grilling, but I doubt they can stop you from eating sandwiches. It would also alleviate the dilemma of what to do with a hot grill or hot coals if your wrestler's match comes up.

Re: State Concessions #19108 03/30/06 07:17 PM
24/7 Offline
Best kept secret there is, is the small resturant in the rodeo arena on the back side of the wrestling building. Very good food and very reasonable. No farther than walking to where we got pictures taken.

Just a thought.

24/7

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)