Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating the refs! #22192 02/27/03 12:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just wondering what thoughts are about rating some of the officials. I think we should rate the officials just as wrestlers are ranked, some of the officials at the regional tournaments were horrid, it would be scary to see some of them reffing state matches. Thoughts.....

Re: Rating the refs! #22193 02/27/03 01:50 AM
GorillaHawk Offline
The officials you saw at regionals are the same ones coaches from across the state voted on to do post-season work...They aren't selected by the host school or league, they are assigned by the KSHSAA on recommendations from the coaches/athletic directors from every school...Same thing goes for state

Re: Rating the refs! #22194 02/27/03 02:06 AM
W
WalterV Offline
W
The problem is as Rick Bowden will tell you, there are not enough refs out there. What Kansas needs is the young men who have wrestled to get into officiating. I am a high school coach and I have officiated up to the junior high level. It isn't easy. We need more to choice from. Competition in the officiating circle will create better officails. With that said I repeat "it isn't easy."

Re: Rating the refs! #22195 02/27/03 04:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the calls that refs make, especially in wrestling, are mainly judgement calls. he/she may see something totally different than what we see sitting on the bench or in the bleachers.
i agree, there are some officials that i wonder about, but everyone has a bad day now and then.
also, we need to look at their calls from a neutral position. do we consider a close call that is not in our favor a bad call?? what if it was in our favor, how would we see it??
like someone already said, being a ref is not an easy job

Re: Rating the refs! #22196 02/27/03 04:41 AM
S
Supercharger01 Offline
S
I once had a coach tell me that you should wrestle hard enough that you do your part to ensure that the referee's decision's won't decide the match. He said that you should go into the match already figuring the reff might screw you out of two points so do what you can to make the match not come down to that two points. Referee's are human and humans aren't perfect. Just remember that next time you cuss a reff because they are trying their best out there.

Re: Rating the refs! #22197 02/27/03 12:57 PM
T
Tim Shea Offline
T
Don't think they still do it, but when I officiated in the '80s each coach and the AD would fill out a referee critique shhet after each dual/tourney and forward to state offices. Any negative rating would have to be answered by the officials. Poor officials were weeded out effectively.

As a coach I tried to instill in my wrestlers to wrestle 'two points better' in that they would lose two points a match either through a missed call or potential error because referees ARE human.

Re: Rating the refs! #22198 02/27/03 01:19 PM
C
Coach B Offline
C
Why is it that most good officials are from Beloit?

Re: Rating the refs! #22199 02/27/03 01:48 PM
B
bobphillips Offline
B
Several years’ back I proposed to the KSHSAA about implement a rating system to help wrestling similar to what the NCAA does for there wrestling officials. At least I think they still do it this way. At the national tournament they have individuals rate the officials in various categories. Such as rule interpretation, mechanics, match procedures, and so on. I think we could have the same type of evaluation system in the high school level. We have several Administrators that were past wrestling coaches that could do some type rating or evaluating. I don’t know if this is the answer. But I think we need to help our young officials. Other than doing more matches how would an official get better?

Re: Rating the refs! #22200 02/27/03 02:13 PM
Coach Holmes Offline
I remember you talking about the "two point" thing Tim...

I have always taught my kids that if you put a match — any match — in the position in which a bad officiating call, it's their fault, not the refs.

My father officiated for over 30 years at both the high school and college level, and I know it is a thankless job. But officials are human beings and we have to remember that. It's when we expect them to be perfect we getin trouble.

Re: Rating the refs! #22201 02/27/03 05:19 PM
T
Tim Shea Offline
T
Bob,

You've got my support (for what it's worth).

What's key is that at the beginning of each season 'points of emphasis' are established at each session. There is no direct method (other than a paycheck) to influence refs' application of that emphasis. For example, stalling. If officials were graded by their 'customers' (coaches and ADs) they would have positive feedback on their strengths and weaknesses.

Addtionally, KSHSAA could use collected data to ensure that these officials merit being licensed by the state to execute their jobs properly.

To carry it further, how many coaches pull young officials aside and 'mentor' them after a dual or tourney in how they did? I used to pull the young ones aside and explain that I'd like to see them position themselves better, to call stalling a little more aggressively, etc. Not badgering, but MENTORSHIP.

just thoughts

Tim

Re: Rating the refs! #22202 02/27/03 05:22 PM
G
GRAPE APE Offline
G
I'm trying to remember the referee who officiated the Heights-Southeast dual. He is solid. Best one I have seen all year.

Re: Rating the refs! #22203 02/27/03 05:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The thing that gets me about the refs, is their reluctance to call stalling. If a wrestler is not working moves or is backing out, call the stall.

Also, I've seen two really questionable calls this year and they both have to do with Jones and Bowman. At Caney Valley, I thought Bowman had the takedown, but at Regionals I didn't think he had the takedown (at the end of regualtion). So I guess what goes around comes around.

Re: Rating the refs! #22204 02/27/03 06:07 PM
Jeremy Roberts Offline
if an official were to give you a personal evaluation would you fill it out and give it to them at the end of the day or send it to them. I am going to get back into officiating more next year and I normally ask the other officials what they thought, but I was wanting to know if the coaches would give it back to the ref or just throw it to the side because they have to much other stuff going on.

Re: Rating the refs! #22205 02/27/03 06:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the best ref is the one who certain wrestlers call MITCH at the wray tourney :rolleyes:

Re: Rating the refs! #22206 02/28/03 03:38 PM
tigerfan Offline
I disagree, there are plenty of refs out there, the major problem is the good ol boy network. There are alot of good refs working the kids and jr. high stuff. The good ol boys take all the high school meets and don't let anybody else in, then they cry when regionals come around that they don't have enough experienced refs. I've seen alot of young people try to get into reffing but when they don't get any work they quit. If you think high school is tough, try reffing a kids tourn. all day, there is alot more action, which means alot more movement by the ref. with more calls to make. Add to that mama down there screaming in your ear.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Malay), 234 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)