Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27750 03/08/04 01:52 AM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
I would like to see more development of girls wrestling so they could have their own teams. I think they should be allowed to wrestle on the guys team if it's the only option, but I wouldn't let my daughter do it. The Edisons in Wichita do great work trying to get more growth in the women's area, I hope their success continues to build.

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27751 03/08/04 03:50 AM
O
ONEagle Offline
O
Texas is a great example of female wrestling. The high schools actually have a serperate female team and state tournament. I don't know if that appeals to the female wrestlers wether they like to wrestle with the guys or they would like their own league in high school. Maybe some female wrestlers could respond?

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27752 03/08/04 03:52 AM
Prant Garker Offline
Jhris, I believe the man asked you to respond...

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27753 03/08/04 03:58 AM
JhrisCennings Offline
LancerM loses to girls. Well, in theory. He placed 5th in a bracket that had a girl as a runner-up. So that, IN THEORY, makes you worse than a girl at wrestling. EWWWW.

So this kid is putting on his shoes right, and his mom says, honey you're putting your shoes on the wrong feet, and the little kid says, no mom these are my feet
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27754 03/08/04 04:53 AM
LancerM Offline
Actually, I think he was telling you to respond to the Texas thing where you and Nigel could wrestle in your own league.

And my mommy taught me never to hit girls, so that's why I couldn't wrestle you.

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27755 03/08/04 05:53 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Texas which is pretty new on wrestling, has both men and women's teams at a lot of the schools that offer wrestling. In fact I got an email from a gal that is being recruited by Cumberland and Mo Valley and she took 2nd in state losing 9-8.

As for girls/guys competing...I was at the FHSU open in 2000-2001 season with Aaron Lane and we saw this girl weighing in with the 157 pound guys or 165...regardless, she was there with her boyfriend who wrestled 184 for Missouri Valley, and she wanted to give wrestling the guys a go. She opened up the tournament by sticking some guy with a wicked *** throw and pinning him in :24 seconds....Lane looked over to me and said, "Hey, there's one guy that will probably eliminate himself from the public before you get the chance to get beat twice"

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27756 03/08/04 01:51 PM
C
cjames Offline
C
Aaron Sweazy - I was just wondering how you know of Cheryl Meyer (James) - that's me and I can't say I know you. Just wondering.
I've been watching this forum all weekend, but really didn't want to say anything...just wanted to sit back and see what everyone else had to say. But I would like to throw in my two cents.
I wrestled on the high school team for 2 years (frosh & soph) varsity with a winning record both years, broke my collar bone week before regionals but wrestled anyways (unfortunately) didn't make it to state. Well, started wrestling for women's usa team (making the $$$) well, as soon as my high school found out about the $$$ they wouldn't let me compete in high school anymore (I don't know some rules against it). I kind of wish I would have stayed in high school wrestling my last two years before jumping up to the big stuff. I think it is perfectly fine for girls to wrestle the guys and you know straight up....if a guy is a true wrestlers he will wrestle a girl just like he would another guy and not think a thing about it. It's just another opponent!!

And just for FYI...I know that Coach Ed has got the KS womens team getting together and it is basically just younger girls, but I've helped out coaching quite a few times (more this year than last because I had a baby) and I would LOVE for some of the older high school age girls to show up.

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27757 03/08/04 02:00 PM
DFOSTER22 Offline
Girls thaat wrestle are pretty cool but i think that there should be a limit on the weight of the girl. Because my girlfreind wrestles on a girls team. And she only weighs 105 but i have wrestled a girl before and it was gross. I wreslte 160 3-2-1A and the girls was big and gross she even had a little facial hair i hated it but they shouldnt have he-man girl wrestleeeers

You have no control over what the other guy does. You only have control over what you do.
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27758 03/08/04 03:29 PM
fris kitzgerald Offline
In middle school we had this kid Les Myers that had to wrestle a girl at our only home dual for the year. Les Was horrible i mean Jeb our 75lbr at the time could beat him, heck i could beat him and i blew at wrestling. newayz he went out and started wrestling her and he got stuck by her. He got laughed at by our team but that girl was a major ma-hoany woman i was scared for my little 103lb self

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27759 03/08/04 08:44 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Aaron Sweazy - I was just wondering how you know of Cheryl Meyer (James) - that's me and I can't say I know you. Just wondering.
I think I was just a freshman in Chapman when you were an upper classman at Sabetha...I remember hearing about this girl that could whoop *** from Sabetha. We were at a tournament or two with you guys back in the day, but I remember someone who had seen you wrestle before saying that's the bad-*** chick. Then I heard you shattered a dude's arm and I was in awe...and frankly scared of women for a while thinking that you snapped a guy in half. Heard a lot about your wrestling background, but I don't think I was ever blest in actually seeing you wrestle.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27760 03/08/04 09:36 PM
Bobby Bovaird Offline
I remember Lindsay Guffey from SFT - her older brother Darrell won 4A state at maybe 125 or 130 back in '95. Hard core family - she was pretty tough and feisty. She went to several freestyle tournaments with us in the spring time and competed like a champ.

Gifted Teacher
Head Wrestling Coach, Louisburg High School
Director of Coaches Development, USAWKS
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27761 03/08/04 10:29 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
SFT women must be tough...lot of wrestling going on there...wasn't there also a girl from Andover?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27762 03/08/04 11:28 PM
usawks1 Offline
Hello Cheryl ... long time no see!

Congrats on your baby! Larabe had his first last May!!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27763 03/09/04 02:32 PM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Coach Cheryl,

This is Coach Ed's wife. I have been meaning to call or email you. We have mmooooooooore big girls and a handful just your size. They are asking for a little b*** whooping and you are just the woman to do it. We are getting together every Wed 6-8pm and last Sunday 1-4pm. The next Sunday practice is 4/25/04 at NW HS in Wichita. We also have 2-3 105-120 girls every Mon and Thursday from 6-8pm so pick your day and bring your shoes!!!!!!!!!!

Ms. Jenni

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27764 03/09/04 05:32 PM
C
cjames Offline
C
Randy - I'm assuming you are Larbe's dad?! Larabe Hinderliter - now that is a name I haven't heard for over 10 years. And along that line there are so many wrestlers that I wonder where they are and what they are doing now a days. Tell Larabe I said Hi.

I hope to hear from a lot more people from "back in the day" and where and what they are up to.

Jeni - I'll try to make it Wed this week. Things have been crazy these last couple of weeks. Got new carpet in the basement and have been remodeling. I sooooo wish I could make the trip this weekend but a friends getting married, but tell the girls I said good luck. I'm going to try to make to Derby on Sunday though.

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27765 03/09/04 10:23 PM
W
wrestlingchic4u Offline
W
you darn right sft girls are tough!!! lol

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27766 03/25/04 06:11 PM
C
CoachDeYoe Offline
C
First, Cheryl James-Meyer is a legend of Kansas Kids Wrestling and for building the idea and foundation of Kansas Women Wrestling.

Second, In my two years as a head coach at DeSoto I coached five girls. In my first year I had a foreign exchange student from Brazil who was not satisfied with the weight she was gaining being in America, a softball player who wanted to be in shape, and Nicole Husted who wanted to wrestle. They all shared a common mindset in the fact that they wanted to improve something. That made them no different than the boys and watching them improve and learn about their physical capabilities and boundries was AMAZING.

In my second year, I got two more girls on my team. Both were seniors from the High School Newspaper staff who had been inspired by the interview for the story about the 3 girls the year before. They didn't know what to expect, but continued to work. Husted won her first match against a boy during this season which will be on of my best coaching memories seeing her intensity when she knew she was "in the match".

There is nothing like watching HUMAN BEINGS make themselves better. Of the Newspaper Staff girls; one was the Validectorian of the DeSoto '03 Senior class, and the other is studying at the KC Art Institute.

People who want to make themselves better, regardless of gender, are welcome in my company at any time. PERIOD.

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27767 03/25/04 08:05 PM
Dingbat Offline
Well said, coach.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27768 03/25/04 08:35 PM
R
red mop top Offline
R
Swayz

there was a gal who wrestled for Andover, i wrestled her my freshman year at the Rose hill tourny. she wrestled 112 the next year and from what i heard she was pretty good. i heard a rumor that she made it to state, but i don't know.

and as far as girls/women wrestling goes Coach De yoe said it best. if a person is willing to work and put in the time then they should be welcome on the wrestling mat.

Re: Girls wrestling in high school #27769 03/25/04 09:12 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
was it Keli Hinton? she went on to Minn-Morris

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)