Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jake against Kovarna #27849 02/28/04 05:53 AM
B
buhlerwrestling Offline OP
OP Offline
B
What did everyone think about that match. Kovarna from Buhler almost stacked Jake?

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27850 02/28/04 11:33 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
I think Kriegbaum won the match 4-2.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27851 02/28/04 01:12 PM
B
buhlerwrestling Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yes you are right. But people were pretty scared in the Abilene section when Kovarna started to stack him.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27852 02/28/04 01:48 PM
K
KUCruiser1988 Offline
K
I think he stalled out, just like he did against Heersche in the finals last year.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27853 02/28/04 02:32 PM
M
muzzfa Offline
M
kriegbahm is loosing his touch

wrong hole
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27854 02/28/04 02:33 PM
M
muzzfa Offline
M
cole garcia is my favorite for the championship
jake is not pully off his big matches off like a 3 time state champion should

wrong hole
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27855 02/28/04 04:19 PM
T
TheBombSquad Offline
T
I still think jake will whoop sum candy butt!!!

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27856 02/28/04 05:55 PM
Lucas Baker Offline
Ok explain to me how you almost pin someone and only score 2 points. I would think if you almost pinned someone you would have at least 3 back points Watch jake will pin him Quick.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27857 02/28/04 10:24 PM
M
muzzfa Offline
M
lets just wait and see

wrong hole
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27858 02/29/04 05:30 PM
W
wrestlerett05 Offline
W
his two points were from escapes. and every1 quit talkin s*** on him seriously. ITS OLD. if ya dont like jake, fine thats your deal. jake is well respected all over the state from other people. jake has wrestled fine, so you guys arent makin any sence. hes a 4x'r, one of ks best. yeah garcia is a real young good wrestler, hes got his years to come. but jake did his part, and the match is over. jake put in 4 awesome years of wrestling for us. GOOD JOB JAKE, AND GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR!!

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27859 02/29/04 06:40 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Dear Aaron:

How did we miss each other? I was not going to comment on this matter, however I too witnessed this event.

Jake, and the Abilene supporters lost my respect for their chanting during the medal presentation.

Support your local athletes, however do not disrespect your opponents or the other medalists during your celebration.

Chanting during the introduction of the other medalists was unsportsmanlike.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27860 02/29/04 07:13 PM
M
mtisch Offline
M
I have known Jake and his family since he was 8 year old. He has worked extremely hard to get where he is and I couldn't have more respect for anyone. He has always been a good sport in every wrestling event I have witnessed. He has always been very focused and very intense. At the same time, off the mad he is a very friendly and good person. I have also known Cole Garcia and his family for many years. There never could be better sportsmanship than they have displayed in every situation I have witnessed. BUT, wrestling is a very emotional sport. When you step on the mat, your friend who you respect and enjoy off the mat, becomes your opponent and you do your best to beat him. On the mat you do not excuse yourself for throwing someone down or for making them feel very uncomfortable. What is said between wrestlers on the mad while they are still very emotionally charged should be left on the mat. If someone had himself in a situation to hear something spoken between competitors on the mad, they would probably not know the history between the two competitors and may not take it the same way the competitors take eachother, so an intelligent observer would leave those comments unmentioned and on the mat.
If Jake physically stands 5'9", his comeptitive heart stands about 10'6". Obviously, the same is true for Cole. It would be very difficult for anyone to defeat Jake unless he was first rendered unconscious. Cole came from behind at the regionals and tied the score without much time for Jake to do anything about it. In the overtime Cole got a quick takedown and ended the match. I am sure that had to burn Jake, because he had no opportunity to counter. So, in the finals he won. If he said something to Cole I am sure it would have had to do with him feeling like he had a chance to win when he had the opportunity. I am certain the Jake and his family respect the Garcias and the Garcias respect Jake and his family. But, at the end of the Bahe vs Dawson match when Bahe won, how many people heard the lady stand up in the Goodland crowd and shout at the Abilene crowd in the next section, that they were all "SONS-OF-BITCHES"???
My congratulations go out to both Jake and Cole!

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27861 02/29/04 08:06 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Dear Marvin:

I have always had the utmost respect for the Abilene, Colby, Goodland, Mulvane, Pratt, etc., fans for their support of their local teams.

The comment you refer to is unfortunate, and is uncharacteristic of Goodland fans.

The chanting during the medal presentation was disrespectful of the other medalists. In the area I was sitting, individuals began to stand for a standing ovation to honor Jake, and when the chanting began, they sat down.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27862 02/29/04 09:02 PM
S
slipknot189 Offline
S
Well there was a reason for why the goodland fan called them that. She was filming the match for bahe's mom and was by to the abilene fans and after bahe pinned dawson the abilene fans said something, i didnt quit catch it cuz she was quite pissed off but what i caught was they yelled not to shake bahe's hand, but im not for sure but thats what i understood.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27863 02/29/04 09:54 PM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
There are plenty of wrestlers that have worked just as hard as mr. Kreigbaum that were much better sports in winning. Tanner Gardner comes to mind. after an emotional championship win over Knox, Tanner stepped up when Knox lost his composure and likely kept him from being ejected, as he was quite animated and the officials appeared about to pitch him, and the crowd was beginning to react. I am sure that tanner had prepared for a long time to beat Knox, but at the end of the match, displayed the emotional maturity of a true champion in his behavior toward his former opponent. sometimes it is possible to win state four times and never learn what it is to be a champion. Sadly enough, I think that is the case here, with the individual and the crowd. when its over, its over, shake hands and don' be a jerk.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27864 03/01/04 01:24 AM
M
mtisch Offline
M
I was there when another very good wrestler won his 4th State Championship. His name was Bo Maynes. The people that supported him made a lot of noise...and they quit announcing other winners until the crowd had ample time to express their appreciation. I believe the whole tournament came to a stop for a while after he won his title match. The same situation occured when a very good wrestler by the name of Zac Roberson won. I was on the otherside of the arena and I didn't see anything wrong with the way the Abilene fans were chanting his name...and I saw plenty of people who are very knowledgeable about wrestling stand up all over the place.
You know, I remember a time at the Wichita Classic when an outstanding wrestler showed up from Oklahoma. This Oklahoma kid had won lots of national tournaments and was no match for anyone in his bracket. His last name was Matlock. His coach was overheard saying he was disappointed that there wasn't anyone in Kansas that could hive Jimmy Matlock a match. Bob Stein heard him say that, and Bob said he knew a kid that could give him a match and he wasn't as old or as big as Matlock. Bob came and go Jake and they set up an exhibition match...Jake won. The coach from Oklahoma started a very respectful clap that the crowd joined in on as they paid their respects to jake's performance. That coach knows a wrestler when he sees one. Everyone might have know this wrestler who wrestled for the University of Oklahoma at the same time in the same weight as a wrestler by the name of Dave Schultz. I guarantee you that people in Oklahoma have a great deal of respect for this coach. Anyone who knows anything about wrestling respects Jake. He does it right. Those who distract from his achievement are only demonstrating their lack of knowledge about the sport, or their own poor sportsmanship. I know that Jake is very well respected everywhere that he has performed. And, people were standing and clapping all over the place for Jake. Maybe the announcer should have held up like they did in years past. But, I really didn't notice a problem or a lack of respect by the Abilene fans. I think they were doing just what they should have been doing...expressing the respect for Jake.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27865 03/01/04 02:09 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
It's not about his wrestling! He won 4 titles...I think we all respect that. It's being a bad winner that's terrible. Don't talk trash when you can walk the walk. Let other fools make the mistake. Jake wasn't the worse one in the finals...another person at 160lbs said very very rude comments to a Head Coach of another school. I'm sorry, but they've backed up everything they've done on the mat this year...and if you are upset about winning a state title or a match, then give a win or a title to me. It would look better than a 3 win college career.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27866 03/01/04 02:32 AM
O
oldtimer Offline
O
Hey Aaron Sweazy I know you like to talk alot about how bad a sport jake and ross were. But before you talk about bad sport why don't you look at yourself Abilene vs. Chapman dual when you were a senior. You know what I am talking about I don't have to tell the whole talk forum about it. And rub it in your face that you had Abilene beat but know you did something and then tied it. So please stop cutting them two great wrestlers down. And if you are going to keep doing it why don't you talk about everyone else that did stuff just like they did. S. Hill did some stuff too so why don't you cut him down too? You have been to college and wrestled you know how intense this sport is. Come on Aaron we are not on the dance team this is wrestling.

Re: Jake against Kovarna #27867 03/01/04 02:40 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Dear Marvin:

I too was at the tournaments when Bo and Zach won.

I was at the tournament when Jeremy Long won.

I was at the tournament when Doug Hoover won.

None of these individuals pointed directly at their opponents fans and pointed a number one at them. Some would view this type of behavior as poor sportsmanship and taunting.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As others are entitled to theirs.

There was a reason the crowd gave each of those 4X Champions their ovation, and their was a reason the crowd was subdued for their applause for Jake.

Perhaps from the other side of the arena, your vantage point was not as clear as the rest of ours.

I respect your coming to the defense of Abilene and would have expected as much, as you have participated with the Abilene Kids Club, and I believe a supporter of Abilene has stated your son will be attending Abilene High School.

I wish both of you the best.

Also, congratulations to your son for his first place finish at Liberty Nationals.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Jake against Kovarna #27868 03/01/04 03:01 AM
Lucas Baker Offline
Oldtimer

You should not worry about Aaron he has a thing for anyone from Abilene.

I think it was Aarons JR year when he did what you are talking about.

I did not go to abilene untill my Jr in 98 And we took care of chapman that year with ease.

I think Aaron holds a grudge with any abilene wrestler just beacuse of his Actions his JR year.

Aaron is a great person with a love for this sport like no one I have ever met.

Aaron i hope i did not upset you with my comments, it is just my thoughts and only my thoughts i might be completly wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 156 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)