Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Disqualifications #31343 02/22/04 10:54 PM
fris kitzgerald Offline OP
OP Offline
Did anybody see the match between Jamel Wilcox and Daniel Smith at the southeast regionals where wilcox took the fall and dq'd smith from the tournament. What are your thoughts should he have gotten up and wrestled or stayed down

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Disqualifications #31344 02/22/04 11:02 PM
J
jmadden Offline
J
Staying down has been too acceptable. They should stay down if and only if they are genuinely unable to compete. It is a direct reflection of a coachs character. If they are genuinely injured and unable to compete by all means. I have seen it happen though and an hour later they are wrestling like gangbusters. (I don't know about the specific match of which you speak)

Re: Disqualifications #31345 02/22/04 11:05 PM
OP Offline
Smith was winning and then he slammed wilcox no harder than any of the wrestlers had been slammed all day and he stayed down and automatically qualifyed and didn't wrestle me in the consolation finals which i see if he was truly hurt he should have let smith go on where he is healthier and has a better shot at placing

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Disqualifications #31346 02/22/04 11:09 PM
NOT TOO BAD Offline
I remember a match last year at state, i think it was 152. But a Maize kid got slammed and layed on the matt and won the match by disqualification and seemed just fine his next match. I think that is kind of cheap and the rule needs to be changed.

It's on like donkey kong...B*****h
Re: Disqualifications #31347 02/22/04 11:40 PM
B
bswitz171 Offline
B
I thank it depends on how flagrant the slam is. This weekend there was an Atchison kid that practically suplexed one of our kids straight on his neck. This wasn't the first time this particular kid had slammed someone this year either. Even if our kid wasn't hurt(which he was), I wouldn't have expected him to finish the match because the kid got a chance to catch his breath and also didn't take the other person's health into consideration. I wonder how he would have felt if he would have broke our kids neck and maybe paralyzed him. I encourage agressive, rough wrestling but this kid took it a little to far. The rule is there for a reason and it might p i s s some people off but it probably prevents more people from getting hurt more than it p i s s e s them off.

Re: Disqualifications #31348 02/23/04 12:21 AM
T
Todd Offline
T
I think the most memorable inncident of this that I remember is at 321A state when one of the Baker boys from Hoxie was wrestling a kid from Mission Valley. Baker did something illegal, and the MV kid stayed down putting Baker on the back side, then the MV kid went on to the finals i believe. Anybody remember this inncident. I remember a ton of BOO's from the crowd.

Re: Disqualifications #31349 02/23/04 12:30 AM
J
jmadden Offline
J
I am pretty sure lots of people have never forgotten that incident. I always like Dykstra and frankly I don't know that I blame him so much as his coach. It is a reflection of the coaches character.

Re: Disqualifications #31350 02/23/04 12:35 AM
D
DB777 Offline
D
Not too bad,
Just out of curiousity, how did the other kid (the nameless MHS wrestler) do the next match.

Re: Disqualifications #31351 02/23/04 12:37 AM
M
Mike Sample Offline
M
It was 1998. The Mission Valley kid was named Pat Dykstra and it was against Travis Baker. I can't remember what happened, but Dykstra was holding his mouth so it didn't appear to be much of an injury. Shortly thereafter, his coach was DQ'd from the tournament for being caught with tobacco. Baker went on to get 3rd & Dykstra lost to Hrabe from Plainville in the finals.

Re: Disqualifications #31352 02/23/04 12:46 AM
OP Offline
"NAMELESS MHS WRESTLER" Lost

The FISH RETURNS
Re: Disqualifications #31353 02/23/04 01:30 AM
Old Boy Offline
Baker supposably crossfaced Dykstra too hard if I remember right.

Re: Disqualifications #31354 02/23/04 01:36 AM
M
Mike Sample Offline
M
OUCH - I hate it when that happens!!

Re: Disqualifications #31355 02/23/04 02:08 AM
W
wrestlingref Offline
W
Yes Baker was warned and then called for an illegal cross face.

Re: Disqualifications #31356 02/23/04 03:03 AM
Dingbat Offline
While sometimes wrestlers take a dive to win the match, I don't feel that you can change that rule. No one really knows how bad a slam was except for the kid that got slammed. As anyone with athletic injury experience knows, sometimes the ones that don't look very bad hurt the worst. I guess it should just be up to the wrestler's ethics.

On the other hand, I give a big thumbs down to the Derby crowd last weekend. After Wilcox couldn't continue, they booed Wilcox. Whether or not he was seriously injured, the bottom line--Derby wrestler cheated. If Wilcox had broken his leg, would the Derby fans still have booed him? After all, Wilcox didn't wrestle in the next round. He must have been at least a little hurt. I thought it was a completely crass and classless show by a usually classy bunch. Anyone involved should be extremely ashamed.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: Disqualifications #31357 02/23/04 03:06 AM
who am i Offline
They booed also because Wilcox was cranking the hell out of the derby guy's arm and it should have been called earlier. The derby guy was really pissed off because of that and that is why he slammed Wilcox, and it was a slam.

I broke my toe at state... but I still got a better medal than Lancerm.
Re: Disqualifications #31358 02/23/04 05:04 AM
J
John Steiger Offline
J
As a coach for Junction City, I feel compelled to comment on the Wilcox situation. I am a person who believes that tough, physical wrestling is the way the sport was meant to be. I am also a friend of Coach Ross from Derby (for many years in fact). The slam by Smith from Derby I do not believe was intentional on his part, but it was a slam. Medical personal at the tournament immediately came onto the mat and examined Jamel Wilcox. Coach Laster and I never intervened and spoke to our wrestler on the mat or the trainers. By rule after the 2:00 minute injury time had expired a decision had to be made. The medical personal made that decision and did not allow Wilcox to continue. It was an unfortunate situation for the Derby wrestler and I feel for him. I will say that Wilcox remained very shaken up. We monitored him , he was awakened every hour after the accident, and he was to have a re-evaluation after 24 hours. My point is, there was no intention to "lay down"...the decision not to continue was made by the people on sight who get paid to make those decisions. If in their judgement Wilcox could have continued, he certainly would have.
As far as the Manhattan wrestlers contention that Wilcox should have let a healthier Derby wrestler take his place...he is obviously commenting without knowledge of the rules. As that would be possible in college, in high school there is no provision for refusing the default and allowing the offending wrestler to move on.

John Steiger-Junction City High School

Re: Disqualifications #31359 02/23/04 05:28 AM
coachtwink Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sample:
It was 1998. The Mission Valley kid was named Pat Dykstra and it was against Travis Baker. I can't remember what happened, but Dykstra was holding his mouth so it didn't appear to be much of an injury. Shortly thereafter, his coach was DQ'd from the tournament for being caught with tobacco. Baker went on to get 3rd & Dykstra lost to Hrabe from Plainville in the finals.
Dykstra was winning the match, but Baker was making a comeback in the Semis'. Dykstra was laying on bottom (I would say stalling). Baker was getting frustrated and crossfaced him twice, the second one he wound up on pretty good. Dykstra looked up, saw the point go up, and immediately started rolling on the mat. The rumor I heard is that he had claimed to have chipped a tooth.
I had also heard that a teammate of Dykstra's had pulled a similar stunt at regionals the week before.

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: Disqualifications #31360 02/23/04 07:17 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
As far as the Manhattan wrestlers contention that Wilcox should have let a healthier Derby wrestler take his place...he is obviously commenting without knowledge of the rules. As that would be possible in college, in high school there is no provision for refusing the default and allowing the offending wrestler to move on.
Manhattan wrestlers might be thinking collegiately when at the D1 Championships last year Scott Coleman was injured do to an illegal slam or something against Steve Mocco. Instead of staying down although he was very much hurt, they worked out a deal that Coleman would get up and they would restart the match and let about 5 seconds tick off and stop it. Mocco was ordered not to attack, and then ISU forfeited to him. I would like to see an option opened up possibly in high school, but it also gets political, because then people would be intentionally trying to hurt others.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Disqualifications #31361 02/23/04 08:44 AM
P
Phil Offline
P
There may have been boo's, but they were not from the Hoxie crowd. I am from Hoxie and I remember it clearly. The Hoxie crowd just gave a lot of positive support to Jay Hrabe of Plainville in the finals. The Hoxie crowd was very unhappy, but they did it in a positive way. Instead of booing Dykstra, (which I felt was very appropriate, considering he did what he did) the Hoxie crowd just cheered very loud for Hrabe. It was the loudest I think I have ever heard Goss Colisuem, I can only imagine what it felt like to be Jay Hrabe at that time.

Re: Disqualifications #31362 02/23/04 08:53 AM
P
Phil Offline
P
Oh yeah, if I would have been Travis in that situation I would have went crazy, but he didn't. Travis just went on to dominate the backside and help to win a team championship. Very good sportmanship by Travis.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)