Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chanute Open #2871 01/07/05 02:41 PM
wrestlingparents Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone heard how many are going to Chanute this weekend?

Re: Chanute Open #2872 01/07/05 04:53 PM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
close to 500

Re: Chanute Open #2873 01/10/05 01:45 PM
VanFam7 Offline
TOO MANY

Annette & FJ VanAnne
sekcoach@yahoo.com
Re: Chanute Open #2874 01/11/05 10:36 PM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
Too many is alittle negative. We were excited to have that many in Chanute, and the tournament went well. There were alot of good wrestlers there. Yes it was alittle cramped, but overall a great show for Chanute. Hopefully it will be that good of a turnout in the future.

Re: Chanute Open #2875 01/13/05 12:47 PM
LilJ Offline
We attended the tournament and it went fine. My child wrestled 12U 88 and had some good kids. For as small as the tournament was I thought it had some great matches.

Re: Chanute Open #2876 01/13/05 10:12 PM
grizzlyfan Offline
Chanute, you did a GREAT job on your tournament. With 500 wrestlers, the tournament was done much sooner than most expected. Thanks for the GREAT wrestling! I wish I knew why there always has to be some sort of negativity???

*In seeking knowledge, the first step is silence, the second listening, the third remembering, the fourth practicing, and the fifth - teaching others.*
Re: Chanute Open #2877 01/14/05 03:02 AM
M
mytwinwrestlers Offline
M
Thanks to those who have supported our tournament. It is kind of nice to have some positive feedback. Some people must really be miserable in their lives to always try to find the negative about everything. Can't wait to see how their tournaments go. I wonder if they will have anything negative to say then?

Re: Chanute Open #2878 01/14/05 09:33 PM
grizzlyfan Offline
Well said mytwinwrestlers!

*In seeking knowledge, the first step is silence, the second listening, the third remembering, the fourth practicing, and the fifth - teaching others.*
Re: Chanute Open #2879 01/15/05 03:12 AM
VanFam7 Offline
My intent was not negativity. It is unfortunate that anyone would assume that. But, when your entry says it will allow the first 400 entries and you allow 100 more wrestlers that = too many. There are limits for reasons. Reasons like the number of mats and fire and safety issues. Yes it is great to have good competitive wrestling. And there was definitely that. The tournament was ran well. I never complained about that either. I am definitely not a miserable person and that is a very negative thing to say. To assume a person is miserable because they state the truth really reflects on the other person. If you have noticed, I have given positive feedback concerning this tournament on other threads. I merely stated the fact that there were too many people in the building. Can you really dispute that?
I know nearly everyone in the Chanute Club. There were numerous Chanute Club members that stated the very same concerns that day. When you figure you have 100 extra participants and say, each participant brings only 2 people with them...thats 300 extra people that wouldn't have been in the building. That's great if you're selling concessions and collecting entries but not so great if you are concerned about fire and safety issues. And yes, if this was my clubs tournament I would have been disappointed that we accepted 100 entries over our limit. I think that is a difficult thing to do but limits are set for a reason. Yes, our club would enjoy the extra $$ but is it worth it in the long run?

Annette & FJ VanAnne
sekcoach@yahoo.com
Re: Chanute Open #2880 01/15/05 03:51 AM
E
emt2mat5 Offline
E
VanFam7 - Your profile says your in the sek club from Chanute. Which from what I understand, the two clubs don't get along at all. Here in Iola, we are just getting started with our club. I was just a spectator in the crowd. But I saw nothing wrong with crowd size. I've been to tournaments where there were people camped out on the floor. But since your from the other chanute club, one must really wonder what your true intentions are. Cuz I doubt you are really concerned with fire codes and safety issues. Just my thoughts!

Re: Chanute Open #2881 01/15/05 03:56 AM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
Food for thought!! If we would have made 400 our limit, those who didn't turn in their entries until Wednesday of that week wouldn't have had a place to wrestle on Saturday. If you are from where I think you are from, your club didn't turn their entries in till Wednesday, so that means that your kids wouldn't have had a place to wrestle on such short notice. Remember it's all for the kids! And with all the exits that are available, in all directions, there would have been plenty of time if something happened such as a fire, for everyone to escape. There comes a time even though you have a limit, that sometimes you have to give a little so that the surrounding kids have a place to wrestle and not have to travel a long way. Thanks for your concern about the fire safety, but in every tournament, your not always going to make everyone happy. We went with what we thought was right by allowing the kids to wrestle. If I was that concerned about fire safety issues, I personally would've pulled my kids from the tournament. Thanks for all the positive feedback that everyone has given, hope to see everyone next year.

Re: Chanute Open #2882 01/15/05 04:48 AM
VanFam7 Offline
emt2mat5 wrote:
VanFam7 - Your profile says your in the sek club from Chanute. Which from what I understand, the two clubs don't get along at all. Here in Iola, we are just getting started with our club.

Yes, I am from SEK club. But that doesn't have anything to do with my opinion about this issue. If my club would have had this tournament I would still say, TOO MANY. I have over 80 posts on this forum. If you look around on all the forums you will find numerous threads on this very issue, congested gyms, overbooked tournamtents, need a split format, etc.,etc.

This is not an issue to be taken personally or to offend anyone. It just stating the obvious. If our club didn't get there entries in on time then, so be it. We should not have been allowed to enter. I don't have a problem with that. My son's world is not so small that it revolves around whether he wrestles every weekend.
emt2mat5-
I don't know where you got your information about the two clubs but it wasn't from me. I "get along" with all the other club members. We have had Chanute wrestlers come to our practices to work out and vice versa. I enjoy watching their wrstlers compete. Many iof them are friends with my kids. I like that there are two clubs in Chanute. I think it makes both clubs better. It gives people choices. Wrestling is very popular in Chanute. If you put the two clubs together there would not be a facility big enough to hold a whole team practice.
We have been involved in wrestling for only 4 years and have had the opportunity to meet lots of great new friends.
Shelly-(clarkmom)
Again I will say, we enjoyed the competition and felt it was well ran. This is a forum to share opinions so that's what I did. I was not trying to attack your club. If the situation was reversed I would want you to tell me your opinions truthfully. I don't think we grow or learn when people only tell us what they think we want to her.

Annette & FJ VanAnne
sekcoach@yahoo.com
Re: Chanute Open #2883 01/16/05 10:40 PM
C
clarkmom Offline
C
VanFam7-Maybe next year, if the numbers are still high, we can use the other gym for the older kids.
I think that would have made a big difference in the seating. I understand that you aren't attacking our club. I have always thought that you were a very nice family, and you have always been kind. I also don't mind that you gave your opinion, that's what this page is for. I do know that on the number situation that we only had 200 and some on that Monday and that if we would've cut them off at 400, there would've been some pretty upset parents, maybe not your family, but lets just be honest. If SEK wouldn't have been able to wrestle at their own home town, there would've been some very upset parents towards our club.
But like I said, maybe next year, we will be able to accomodate everyone who would like to come, without it being so cramped, and make everyone happier.-Shelly

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 226 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)