Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
best thing to do in offseason for next year #54013 04/29/03 12:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wuts the best thing to get ready for next year??
any advice

Re: best thing to do in offseason for next year #54014 04/29/03 01:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you need mat time. freestyle-greco. camps are real good too. good camps are all over the place.

Re: best thing to do in offseason for next year #54015 04/29/03 11:44 AM
M
mawcoach Offline
M
I know this will spark a heated debate but... I think Freestyle and Greco are somewhat overrated for summer competitions. Before you boo me out of the forum hear my reasoning. A two time state champion (the other two years he was top 3) and current college wrestler, who was an all-american last year, didn't wrestle much freestyle because he felt that it only taught wrestlers how to stall from the bottom. Yes there are evident positive experiences from the neutral position, but those can be gained through camps and dedication to takedowns in practice. As for greco, I coached a young man a few years ago who was 21-0 going into regionals and ranked #3 in the state at his weight. He got 4th at regional (although it was the manhattan regional) and only won one match at state because he was a good greco wrestler. The problem was he was good enough at greco to beat most guys using that type of technique. If he wrestled someone of his skill on the mat, but intelligent enough to listen to their coach, he ended up losing because in folkstyle guys can shoot on the legs, imagine that! I'm not trying to say freestyle and greco don't present good opportunities, but I don't think they are the end all to creating champions. Dedication in practice and some off season wrestling, camp or greco/freestyle, benefits anyone because of the mat time.

Re: best thing to do in offseason for next year #54016 04/29/03 05:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
go to a couple of camps, then find a farmer that puts up alot of square hay bales and toss them around all summer long, you will come back tough, strong, and in shape. worked for me

Re: best thing to do in offseason for next year #54017 04/30/03 01:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lift weights. Gain weight. (That ones easy)
Freestyle. Greco.

Re: best thing to do in offseason for next year #54018 04/30/03 06:12 PM
John Johnston Offline
I think this depends on what goals you have set for yourself. If your goal is to wrestle in college, then I think you need FS/Greco. Not only for the mat time and experience, but also for the exposure. The college coaches cannot actively recruit at the regionals, but you can be sure that they are there and watching. Go to as many national and regional events as you can afford to attend.

If your goal isn't college, then the summer camps and any type of off-season conditioning will suffice.

Re: best thing to do in offseason for next year #54019 05/02/03 01:19 AM
J
Just4Fun Offline
J
thank you Mr. Johnston
many people do not believe in freestyle/greco wrestling. How many state champs are there nation wide? A lot! How many freestyle/greco all-americans much much less. Freestyle/greco all-american catches Div I and II coaches eyes. Multiple time state champions walk on or wrestle Juco. Is it bad? Not at all. Can a person make it on a Div I team, and be sucessful? Yes, but the statistics are not in his favor.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Curtis Rein), 94 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,968
Posts250,406
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)