Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hill vs. Hoover #74595 02/12/02 06:11 AM
A
asmith65 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Did anyone see the match between Hill and Hoover in the city league finals? the wichita paper said that Hoover didn't score a point, but ended up winning the match. I would like to know what happened.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74596 02/12/02 12:10 PM
J
Jumbo Sport Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by asmith65:
Did anyone see the match between Hill and Hoover in the city league finals? the wichita paper said that Hoover didn't score a point, but ended up winning the match. I would like to know what happened.
I watched the whole match and was very unimpressed with both wrestlers. I have been able to watch Hoover wrestle several times over his career and have enjoyed his matches. If I'm not mistaken, Hill cut him twice and was also called for stalling twice during regulation. Hill scored the first takedown and also escaped. In overtime, Hill was dinged for stalling again which ended the match. I think that Hill should have been called for stalling during regulation and the match should have never went in to overtime in the first place. All he did the entire second and third period was block off and back up. In Hill's defense though, I think that Hoover could have been (and should have been) called for stalling as well. He did not work for a shot the entire second and third period. He just lowered his head and pushed Hill around. It was like he was working more for a stalling call than he was for a takedown. I think that both wrestlers will turn themselves around and both should do well in the finals at state, but not if they wrestle like they did last weekend.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74597 02/14/02 05:17 AM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
I was there. After Sequoya took hoover down in the first Hoover's game plan since he was unable to take Sequoya down was to block and push into him the whole rest of the match. I think sequoya did apretty good job of circling except for the 3 or 4 feet he took going out of bounds when hoover pushed into him and except for OT. I think hoover only took one or two shots the whole rest of the match after he was taken down. Sequoya however took 3x as many shots at least. Hoover never worked for a takedown just for stalling points.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74598 02/14/02 12:46 PM
J
Jumbo Sport Offline
J
I don't even think Hill was really working for a takedown. It looked like all he was trying to do was take a half shot to avoid getting a stalling call. He never looked like he committed himself to a shot other than the one that took Hoover down in the first. Overall a very poor match. I was very disappointed.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74599 02/14/02 02:22 PM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
You're telling me Hoover was working for a takedown? Sequoya's half shots were still better than hoover one or two shots he took the last 5 mins of the match. I think Sequoya worked harder than Hoover and half shots at least show you are working somewhat. Yes the match was poor I agree but all Hoover did was lower his leg and block the whole match to get stalling points, not something I would expect from a senior 3x state champ.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74600 02/14/02 04:10 PM
E
Erin Edwards Offline
E
Well, we all know that the better wrestler won here. There is no doubt the Sequoia stalled like crazy throughout the entire match. Like Doug said, a great wrestler always finds a way to win. He's right.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74601 02/14/02 05:06 PM
J
Jumbo Sport Offline
J
Wrestling4life, the point that I was trying to make is that neither one of them worked for a takedown. Hill had the appearance of working harder for a takedown, but everyone that was watching knows that. As you will see in my previous post, I think that Hoover should have been called for stalling as well. He lowered his head into Hill's chest and continually pushed him out of bounds (which got real old after 4 1/2 minutes). I'm looking forward to see how Hoover reacts this weekend after his match with Hill. I never would have thought that last weekends match would have been that close. I think that we are both arguing the same point. We are in agreement that neither wrestler was working for a shot, but Hill did a better job of faking it. I wish we could see them wrestle again. I think it would be a completely different match.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74602 02/14/02 05:38 PM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
Yes i do agree with you but my point is when you make it look like you're are working you don't get called for stalling. I know sequoya was stalling but there is a way to stall without getting called for it and I feel sequoya did that. Not saying that's the best way to wrestle and that it is something to be proud of but considering he worked harder than hoover I don't think he should have been called for stalling as much as he did w/o hoover gettind called himself.

And for Edwards were you at the match? Yes anyone would agree who the better wrestler was but when all 3x state champ can do is push to get stalling points then he is in a lot of trouble when he moves on to the next level. Their previous dual match hoover couldn't even ride him for more than 10 secs and there was a very controversial call with hoover getting a takedown out of bounds. It wasn't just one bad day for hoover.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74603 02/14/02 07:21 PM
J
Jumbo Sport Offline
J
Do you know what the score was of their dual match. I forgot that they should have wrestled during the season. I didn't even look for it in the paper. Was it a good match or just another pushing contest?

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74604 02/14/02 07:26 PM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
I believe the score was 3-2. Yes it was pretty much the same as the city league tourney match.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74605 02/14/02 07:29 PM
J
Jumbo Sport Offline
J
What a disappointment. With the caliber of wrestlers that these two are, I was hoping for much more than a 3-2 stalling match. Your right though, if Hoover thinks he is going to ride his high school success to the next level, he will be sadly mistaken. Which regional are you going to be at this weekend?

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74606 02/14/02 07:29 PM
A
asmith65 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Reguardless of who won, I think that it is pretty rediculous that the match was decided by a stalling call. You would think that a match between two number one ranked wrestlers would be decided on the mat, rather than an official.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74607 02/15/02 01:40 AM
BigPin22 Offline
Ryan Lien stuck Hill in the first period at Derby.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74608 02/15/02 02:24 AM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
Actually I believe Lien stuck him in the 3rd but maybe I'm mistaken. AND if you knew anything sequoya bumped up to 130 and it was a tied match when lien threw a lucky headlock that would never happen again.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74609 02/15/02 04:05 AM
E
Erin Edwards Offline
E
Wrestler for life...yes, i was at douglas' match, in fact i've been to most this year. i'm not going to argue with you about who did better because doug didn't wrestle to his full potential, all i was saying is the best wrestler did win and everyone knows it.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74610 02/15/02 05:04 AM
BigPin22 Offline
Ya, it was a tie match because Lien pinned him in the first period before anything else happened. Lien looks pretty awesome(or lucky as you put it) this year and I don't think he would have any problem pinning him again.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74611 02/15/02 05:29 AM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
So you're saying Doug didn't wrestle to his potential when it happened twice. Maybe if it was just one match but not two. And If sequoya wrestled lien again it would be a one point match, im not saying lien wouldn't win or anything or that he won by a fluke but lien would not get a takedown

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74612 02/15/02 05:33 AM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
And if you read everything you would see that I agreed who was the better wrestler, yeah everyone knows it but 3x soon to be 4x state chaqmp can only win by getting stalling points? Doesn't look very good on his part and he knows it if you looked at his face after the match.

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74613 02/15/02 12:57 PM
J
Jumbo Sport Offline
J
I thought Lien stuck Hill in the third because I remember talking to someone about how Lien just never stopped coming after him. I also saw Hill get stuck in the finals at Newton. He is a good wrestler, but seems like he has a hard time fighting off his back. If he can stay off his back, he shouldn't have any problems, but the three times I've seen him get put on his back, he has been stuck (state finals last year, Derby and Newton finals this year).

Re: Hill vs. Hoover #74614 02/15/02 03:18 PM
W
wrestling4life Offline
W
He doesn't get put on his back very much those three times you saw him on his back were I think the only times he's been on his back. It doesn't happen very much and when it does I think he gives up or doesn't try very hard too fight off. He also was winning at newton when betsworth gator rolled him to his back, he had trouble with those type of things at derby and newton but I think he learned a lot from it and from what I know of him he would never let it happen again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,956
Posts250,393
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)