Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80549 02/14/06 10:39 PM
L
LoveToWrestle Offline
L
I don't think Taylor Sibala should be even mentioned in this post. Not to bash on him, he has probably improved since I wrestled him, but he's not one of the most exciting my any means.

"Once you have wrestled, every thing else in life is easy." The One, The Only, Dan Gable.
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80550 02/14/06 10:41 PM
L
LoveToWrestle Offline
L
One of the most exciting wrestlers I liked to watch was Madison King last year. Him and Wes barret had a very explosive match, and I enjoyed all his matches at state last year.

"Once you have wrestled, every thing else in life is easy." The One, The Only, Dan Gable.
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80551 02/14/06 11:12 PM
R
Raider wrestling mom Offline
R
I was there for the Hardy-Metzger match and truly suprised with the outcome. I thought it would have come down to points in the 3rd period. Both are great competitors. Can't wait to see their next match! Another great match from last weekend was Mahan and Carr @145lbs. Double OT. Both fought hard!

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80552 02/15/06 01:57 AM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by dwelsh:
That one year in the state finals when Roberson was called for stalling. Apparently the really made him mad. He proceeded to take down and let up his opponent about 4 times in 30 seconds. It was very impressive. And, i bet the poor kid who was getting taken down was thinking 'thanks a lot for the stall call ref - NOT!' ;-)
Big Head, where are you on this one! hahah! That was Brian Scott from Wichita South. I will never forget that match as I was preparing to win my state championship and watched that take place. I remember a lump in my throat and I becare very very nervous.

Big Head.... I am waiting for your comment here since you were that victim that day. However, you did follow that year up with a 36-0 record and a State Championship..... Not too mention you only lost 4 times in high school and three times as a freshman!

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80553 02/15/06 07:53 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Jeremy Long was one of my favorites to watch.

I also think mention of Annon because of his elasticity should get some mention.

Earl Jones also deserves mention...he's amazing to watch and always perplexes me just how good he is.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80554 02/15/06 09:49 AM
R
rdskn26 Offline
R
i remember watching elliot and beard go at many a times in kids. and am hoping to see it again a few times now that they are in high school. just for some future upcoming exciting wrestling to watch

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80555 02/15/06 04:02 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Earl Jones also deserves mention...he's amazing to watch and always perplexes me just how good he is.
per·plex vt
1. puzzle somebody: to puzzle or confuse somebody, especially causing doubt

2. complicate something: to make something overly complicated or intricate

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2006. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

When I have had the privilege of watching Earl wrestle I have never been "perplexed" but rather filled with a deep sense of admiration for the young mans determination and drive to be successful.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80556 02/15/06 04:33 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline
G
Richie: thanks for helping us out with word associations. I bet you're one helluva scrabble player.

As for wrestling, I think the creativity of Earl Jones is as perplexing as a Picasso painting. I think the same thing about Ben Askren. I watch Ben drill and he doesn't drill any common moves. He says, "I already know a single, double, hc, etc...why would I waste time doing those moves?" He works on moves that have no names. He puts his drilling partners into situations that he gets into in matches and he works his particular style from there. Some people unable to grasp how fundamentally sound Ben is call it "funk". But that actually cheapens his accomplishments. But I do understand why at first glance people find real innovation perplexing. I think the feeling of admiration about which you write comes later.

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80557 02/15/06 05:05 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by mamasawn:
Mike- If you get the chance, go watch Phil Hart wrestle for Fort Hays. He still is fun to watch.
Mike is the announcer at the FHSU home dual meets. He gets every opportunity to watch Phil Hart wrestle.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80558 02/15/06 05:08 PM
24/7 Offline
I think it's very fair to put Taylor Sibala in this group. He is am amazing athlete who gets into/outof some amazing situations. Again this post is for exciting to watch. Everyone will have the drawn down 2-1 match, he has those as well, but he is fun to watch and pretty high action most of the time.

24/7

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80559 02/15/06 05:14 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
As for wrestling, I think the creativity of Earl Jones is as perplexing as a Picasso painting.
I must question if you have ever witnessed Earl Jones wrestle, as he is hardly creative. Earl is fundamentally sound, mentally as tough as they come, and due to physical limitations can not dominate on his feet. Earl is dominate as a mat wrestler.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80560 02/15/06 05:55 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline
G
Ah yeah, I've seen him wrestle and that's why I think he's creative. Finding a way to win the way he does with the limitations he has requires all kinds of creativity an compensation for balance. Think of how long it took Rulon to learn how to overcome the loss of a toe.

Have you ever wrestled?

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80561 02/15/06 05:55 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Richard, you are not hating on gutwrench1, are you? After viewing the bio that you have produced for him, which is quite impressive I must admit, I can only say, the nerve of you. Once again, you are just calling a spade a spade, I guess, right.

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80562 02/15/06 06:13 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline
G
Richie, would you please let WSEWC know that the term "calling a spade a spade" is a racist term. I'm sure WSEWC does not know that and is not a racist but simply ignorant.

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80563 02/15/06 06:22 PM
BigPin22 Offline
"calling a spade a spade" harkens back to Civil War America, when a person's freedom turned on whether or not the establishment considered one Black or not.

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80564 02/15/06 06:24 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Calling a spade a spade is not a racist term, that is ignorant. Where you from boy, Missouri.
It means calling it like it is, calling it like you see it, "pulling no punches". It always has been. Surely with all of your knowledge, you knew that, but you just wanted to perplex us. Being gay may be homosexual to you, but to me, it is still just happy. I guess that I can't play cards anymore or dig in my flower garden because I would not want to call a spade a spade, even if it was one.

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80565 02/15/06 06:29 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline
G
Thanks, BinPin22. I didn't know the historical reference. The term is often misused.

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80566 02/15/06 06:35 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
Hey oldfan are you talking about Garcia of Newton (Dad) or I guess it must be Cody since you said Hutch. Or Knox as in Chas (dad) from WW. How old are you oldfan cause I seen their daddys go at it (not against each other) they were a treat to watch also.

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80567 02/16/06 04:12 AM
bananabreath Offline
it's called Google, people. Why don't you use it before you spout off looking for racism where it doesn't exist...you go, WSEWC!

The mistaken notion that the phrase had its origins in confusion over what to call a digging implement. I don't think the phrase is quite that innocent. My understanding is that in fact "calling a spade a spade" harkens back to Civil War America, when a person's freedom turned on whether or not the establishment considered one Black or not. Inter-racial liaisons were not uncommon, and so mulatto children were reasonably common. The White establishment was loathe to allow itself to be "diluted" with "impure blood," and so they took to "calling a 'spade' [pejorative for a Black person] a 'spade'". Is there any truth in this? -- Michael Raynor.

In a word, no. Although the English language, and particularly American English, contains many examples of the influence of racism on popular speech, in this particular case there is ample evidence to prove the defendant phrase not guilty. "To call a spade a spade" not only predates slavery in North America by quite a bit but harks all the way back to the Ancient Greeks, occurring in the work of, among others, the playwright Aristophanes, and is still commonly heard in modern Greek. The original phrase seems to have been "to call a fig a fig; to call a kneading trough a kneading trough," applied to someone who spoke exceedingly frankly. Evidently, when the phrase was first translated from Greek in the Renaissance, the Greek word for "trough" was confused with the Greek for "spade," and thus the modern version was born. The "spade" referred to in the phrase, incidentally, was the digging implement, and not the black character on playing cards that underlies the racial epithet.

Re: Most Exciting Wrestlers #80568 02/16/06 04:34 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
I had no idea the topic of the most exciting wrestler to watch could possibly lead to such an intellectually stimulating conversation!

Curtis Chenoweth
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)