Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KC Metro Missouri Schools Win 3 State Titles #81068 02/19/06 05:01 AM
L
Lionwrestling Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Three KC Metro area High Schools dominated the Missouri State wrestling tournment this weekend. Oak Park won the class IV state title earing a state record of 267.5 points. Park Hill won the class 3 title, with Platte County winning the class 2 title.

Metro Classic this year will be as tough as ever.
---------------------------------
http://kcmetrosports.com/articles/article.asp?aid=2991&full=-1

Missouri State Wrestling Tournament - Final Recap
Zack Bailey Wins His Fourth Title
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Beaudoin

COLUMBIA, Mo. – When Oak Park wrestlers dream, they dream big.

Take Zack Bailey, for instance.

The senior had a vision of what would lie ahead of him when he began his journey as a member of the elite Northmen wrestling squad.

“I always dreamed about going Division I and being a four-time state champion,” Bailey said.

Done and done.

The University of Oklahoma-bound wrestler wrapped up a perfect 18-0 senior campaign and fourth high school state wrestling title with a 3-0 win over Mike Gagliano of Ft. Zumwalt West in the 140-pound finals.

Bailey joins some legendary company with his fourth state crown.

Missouri’s first four-timer, Vernon “Hap” Whitney, was on hand for the special occasion. Whitney was a state champion from 1949-1952 at Normandy.

Oak Grove also has three kids on that elite list, including Matt Infranca.

“I’m pretty good friends with Matt,” Bailey said. “This is just so special.”

Bailey’s quest didn’t begin on a high note, however.

Before this season, he injured his shoulder and re-tore it about midway through.

“It was hard for me to work on a totally different technique,” he said.

But determination and a little inspiration (from little brother Mac) was all Zack needed to complete his storybook finish.

“Every match Mac won, it made me that much more ready,” Zack said. “He’s really surprised me how much he’s grown and learned this season. He works harder than I ever did.”

Oak Park put itself deeper into the state wrestling history book in the process of Saturday night’s finals, scoring 267.5 points, knocking out Platte County, which scored 265.5 in 2001.

Blue Springs also fulfilled its intentions, winning a third-place trophy with 115.5 points.

Mac Bailey kept the family tradition going with a tight 5-3 win over Kyle Bradley from Francis Howell Central for the 103-pound title.

Bailey, a freshman, has seen Bradley for five straight years in the finals, going back to his days at the kid’s state wrestling tournament.

Bradley has only gotten the better of Bailey once, and that was last year in a double overtime match.

“So I was wanting this one,” Bailey said. “I just went out there and laid it all out on the mat. Now, I am thinking about my second one and this summer when we go to Fargo (North Dakota) for freestyle nationals.”

In the 135 pound championship match, Dylan Joiner handed Jimmy Pepper of Seckman his first loss of the season, squeezing out a tight 3-2 decision.

And he was more than happy to do it.

“The way I train, I really didn’t expect anything less,” Joiner said. “With the hard work and dedication we put it, it’s a nice pay off.”

And it’s something that Joiner shares with his entire Oak Park family.

“This has been great for all of us,” he said. “This is a brotherhood here. We bleed and sweat together. We’re all brothers.”

Junior Shane Nay scored three takedowns in the final period against Fort Zumwalt West’s Brandon Wiest – including one with just two ticks left on the clock – in the finals of their 145-pound championship, ultimately coming out on top 10-6 for his third straight state title.

Fellow junior Scott O’Donnell also scored his third state title, beating John VanVelkinburgh from Francis Howell North 5-2.

Oak Park dropped only two finals matches. At 171 pounds, Blue Springs’ Jeff Bowman scored a late takedown to fend off Brent Haynes and win 3-1. At 189, Kolton Kono lost to Liberty’s Deron Winn. Winn, a two-time state champion, finished the season a perfect 43-0.

Kansas City’s big men weren’t finished, however, as Dom Bradley won his second state title for Blue Springs, manhandling Francis Howell Nathan Crossett 6-3 for the heavyweight title.

With the state title firmly in place, Park Hill’s brotherly duo – Brian and Eric Graham – were left to do what they do best.

Win.

Eric downed Hillboro’s Jake Vonderbruegge at 140 pounds before Brian did his own damage, pinning St. Charles West’s Justin Keeney for the 145-pound state crown.

“I just went out there and wrestled how I usually do,” Brian Graham said following his win. “This just feels like a regular tournament to me. Once we had the team title, it was smooth sailing from there.”

Park Hill head coach Bill Erneste couldn’t hide his emotions following Brian Graham’s medal ceremony.

“Today was exciting, but sad,” Erneste said. “I’ve Brian and Eric since they were in fourth grade. They were hanging out with boxing gloves and beating the stew out of each other. They were in fourth grade and training harder than my high school kids.”

While Erneste will miss his stellar seniors, he may get to coach them one more time before graduation.

“I think Brian and Eric said they wanted to come out for golf,” said Erneste, also Park Hill’s golf coach, with a sly smile. “I think I’ll let them get two rounds in before I cut them.”

The Grahams join fellow state titlist, 130-pounder Corey Carr, who scored a 3-1 decision over Ozark’s Matt Vernatti.

Kyle Rose (215) and heavyweight Chris Miller placed second for Park Hill.

The Trojans finished with 185 points for their Class 3 title. Raymore-Peculiar was fourth, bringing home a trophy with 100.5 points.

Although Class 2 champion Platte County (147.5 points) didn’t have any individual champs for the first time in nine seasons, head coach Phil Dorman could hardly hang his head.

“We can’t be unhappy, we wanted a state title and we got it,” Dorman said. “It was a real bittersweet win, though. We accomplished what we came to do, but we’d never put rounds together. But we’re still taking home the top honor in our class.”

Odessa was third in Class 2 with 122.5 points.

In Class 1, Cameron captured the title with 135 points, followed by Higginsville (120), Trenton (112.5) and Marceline (111).

Re: KC Metro Missouri Schools Win 3 State Titles #81069 02/19/06 12:37 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Congratulations to those Kansas City, Missouri teams. There is some incredible wrestling going on over there. Oak Park seems to have a dynasty in place. It is going to be difficult to stop them over the next couple of years.

Edit: The second place team Fort Zumwalt West had 148 points compared to Oak Park's 267.5.

Elijah Madison, a sophomore formerly from Salina Central, took third for Oak Park at 275.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: KC Metro Missouri Schools Win 3 State Titles #81070 02/19/06 07:25 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Did the guy that beat Elijah go on to win the tournament?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: KC Metro Missouri Schools Win 3 State Titles #81071 02/19/06 08:35 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Aaron:

No, Elijah has wrestled the winner Dom Bradley a junior from Blue Springs two or three matches. I think Bradley has won all of them in fairly close matches, although they listed Bradley as having a 50-1 record coming into the tournament so maybe Elijah did win one of their matches.

Elijah lost 2-1 to Nathan Crossett a senior with a 44-2 record coming into the tournament. Crosset lost 6-3 to Bradley in the final. Madison won by a pin in the third place match.

Vince Nowak

Re: KC Metro Missouri Schools Win 3 State Titles #81072 02/19/06 08:39 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Husker Fan:
Aaron:

No, Elijah has wrestled the winner Dom Bradley a junior from Blue Springs two or three matches. I think Bradley has won all of them in fairly close matches, although they listed Bradley as having a 50-1 record coming into the tournament so maybe Elijah did win one of their matches.

Elijah lost 2-1 to Nathan Crossett a senior with a 44-2 record coming into the tournament. Crosset lost 6-3 to Bradley in the final. Madison won by a pin in the third place match.
What was Elijah's record on the year and is he using more options offensively other than "the throw"?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: KC Metro Missouri Schools Win 3 State Titles #81073 02/19/06 09:07 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Elijah's record was 17-3 going into the tournament. My guess is that all three of his losses before the tournament were to Bradley the eventual state champion from Blue Springs. I believe Oak Park was in at least two tournaments and a dual with Blue Springs before the State tournament. I have not seen Elijah wrestle this year, so I do not know if he is using any offensive options besides the throw.

Vince Nowak

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 226 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)