Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Regional Experiences #81208 02/19/06 07:32 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Since everyone was at different regionals this week, was curious as to some of the stuff going on through out the state at the other regionals. Anybody got a good story about something you saw on or off the mat, or any criticisms on how to improve a regional and it's operations? What were the best matches you saw? How were the facilities (Cramped, dirty, huge). Consistent officials? Crazy coaches? Any great run up into the stands to hug your mom stories? Share em if you got them.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Regional Experiences #81209 02/19/06 08:58 PM
D
dano Offline
D
Ark City Regionals. Not aware of any major upsets? Alot of good wrestling. I thought the ref's did a great job! They did a good job calling and preventing stalls. I thought 130 and 140 both times Ark City and BC were extremely close matches and can go either way----next time.
This time BC won them both.

Re: Regional Experiences #81210 02/19/06 09:03 PM
wrestlingAlum Offline
Eudora held a first class tourney. Nice new school, well organized. If you wanted to knit pick, maybe the hospitality room was a bit to small, but I heard no complaining.

Re: Regional Experiences #81211 02/19/06 09:33 PM
M
Mom160 Offline
M
Eureka: the facilities are comfortable (well, as comfortable as spending 2 days sitting on bleachers can be!), and we weren't sitting on top of one another. The concession stand was BAD - homebaked cupcakes, cookies - all that yummy stuff that goes against my diet! Thick hamburgers, chili alone or with corn chips or hot dogs - very appreciated with yesterdays bitter cold.

There were some great, tense matches - I don't even know all the wrestler's names of some of the best matches I watched, but some of the best matches are those that just grab you with the intensity and noise. The officials did a fantastic job, both by being consistent as well as "invisible", which went a long way towards controlling the atmoshpere and keeping it a positive, exciting environment.

The finals ceremony was great. The gym went to total darkness. There was a runway with lights and fog leading down the center of the gym to the mats. The announcer would tell the wrestler's stats, tournament wins, etc and the runway lights would come on with the wrestler standing inbetween them. They would walk down the runway to the mats, where the lights would go off for the opponent. Very intense and exciting.

The finals ceremony was nice - the brackets were wood cut in the shape of the state of Kansas. Were other regionals this way? They were painted white with the brackets painted on - very time consuming to make, but VERY cool. The gal writing on them had to make 4 trips to carry them all in.

Re: Regional Experiences #81212 02/19/06 09:34 PM
C
Captain Sticks Offline
C
At oberlin trevor richard was beating a kid 8-4 he had 4 takedowns and was shooting in and got tossed and pinned it was a major upset

Re: Regional Experiences #81213 02/19/06 10:15 PM
O
OK wrestling Offline
O
I really diagreed with the refs at the Chapman regional many times. They made alot of poor calls and were very inconsistant. They also seemed not to like Clay Center very much. Just my opinion.

Re: Regional Experiences #81214 02/19/06 10:26 PM
V
vikes Offline
V
how about this one:

i will not name names, but a certain parent at the 6A NW regional got thrown out for acting in one of the strangest ways i've seen in a while.

his kid was a 4 seed in a very competitive weight class and was wrestling the #1.

after beating the #1 seed (from a rival school), he approached the head coach of the team and whispered in his ear "there goes your number one seed" or something to that fact

understandably the coach was very upset and the parent was thrown out of the touney.....

funny thing about this idiot parent was that now he couldn't watch his kid wrestle in the finals, because he was on the outside now......

dont they make specials on 48 hours on parents like this?

at least it added humor to a pretty cut and dry regional

Re: Regional Experiences #81215 02/19/06 10:54 PM
crazy4wrestling Offline
I was very disappointed in the way Bishop Miege ran their Regional Tournament. There was NO finals ceremony! NO introduction of wrestlers, stats, NOTHING! If you weren't there first thing in the morning you completely missed the National Anthem. It was run like it was just any other tournament. Too bad they didn't realize just how special it is to make it to State!

Re: Regional Experiences #81216 02/19/06 11:02 PM
dLancer Offline
At SMNW regional, when the wrestlers got there it was about 50 degrees in the gym. They brought in these space heaters which generated quite a large flame and while being fueled by very large propane tanks, only about a foot from the the generator. Little dangerous if you ask me. Even with these heaters, the gym never warmed up. Other than that, I thought the tournament was ran very smoothly.

Re: Regional Experiences #81217 02/19/06 11:06 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by OK wrestling:
They also seemed not to like Clay Center very much. Just my opinion.
You have got to be kidding me! Are you saying the the officials were specifically targeting Clay Center wrestlers? That almost sounds like a conspiracy theory.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Regional Experiences #81218 02/19/06 11:42 PM
J
just-a-dad Offline
J
Olathe East did a great job....parade of state quailifiers, introductions of all finalist before the first weight classes wrestled. highest remanining seed on one side of the mat the others on the other, very nice. Ely/Almaguer wrestled closer than the week before, Perez (TOP) was amazing to watch, Mitchell/Reschke rematch was good, Metzger/Hardy was amazing, obviously Metzger had the home crowd, Hardy went for a couple of throws again, but missed in pretty dramatic fashion. All in all very nice tournament.

Re: Regional Experiences #81219 02/19/06 11:48 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by dLancer:
At SMNW regional, when the wrestlers got there it was about 50 degrees in the gym. They brought in these space heaters which generated quite a large flame and while being fueled by very large propane tanks, only about a foot from the the generator. Little dangerous if you ask me. Even with these heaters, the gym never warmed up. Other than that, I thought the tournament was ran very smoothly.
Sounds like someone forgot to adjust the computerized heating system for weekend activities.

Re: Regional Experiences #81220 02/20/06 12:00 AM
S
soclosebutnot Offline
S
The Gym at NW did finnally warm up acually wuite a bit but not till we were half way through the finals. As for the Parent that got thrown out he was totally in the wrong stepping on the mat and getting in the coaches face and saying that to him. I am also a coach for the school that the parent yelled at. The best part is that the reason his son was a 4 sead is becuase they just drew out the 1-4 seed at 171. Now that i have let him know that he feels like even more of an idiot

God bless
Re: Regional Experiences #81221 02/20/06 12:15 AM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
Sounds like their were some good regional experinces and some bad ones. I was up in Oberlin and i could not have been more disapointed, i even stood up for them earlier saying i didnt think it was so bad. When they were running 3 mats kids who went out of bounds ont the two outer mats went into the wall and some times the air grates, it was very dangerous, not enough seating at all. There were so many people standing at all times cause there just werent enough places to sit, it was literally a mess. The reffing at oberlin was so inconsistant, Ross from colby did a good job but he almost always does so that is no suprise but for the other refs they handed out points like candy, for the most part they did not have an out come on the matches but it was still very inconsistant. And the youngest reff there im not sure of his name tossed a parent out for the second time in 3 years, this parent maybe diserved it and maybe didnt but the one 2 years ago he threw out for just yelling from the stands sitting down and not swearing. The young reff seemed to be looking to throw people out, during the stanley match when a kid was hurt and a parent yelled that it was a point he looked up into the stands and told the fan that he was in control of the match, now if its a coach i understand the yelling but yelling at a excited parent during the middle of a close match tells me that he is a little to worried about what is going on in the stands and not on the mat. If you cant handle a little critismn you should not be reffing at NW Kansas 321a regional, go to Eureka where the parents dont care that much. The tournament was run well on the mat but other than that it was to crowded and inconsistant reffing.

Jason Malay

So that makes you a Jewfin?
Re: Regional Experiences #81222 02/20/06 12:36 AM
M
Mom160 Offline
M
Quote:
wrestlingfan65 said:
If you cant handle a little critismn you should not be reffing at NW Kansas 321a regional, go to Eureka where the parents dont care that much.
I completely resent that remark about how, in Eureka, the parents don't care that much. What have we done to show that we don't care? If you weren't there then you have NO right to criticize. I think you owe 1/4 of the state an apology. I will say this - I won't hold the NW Kansas part of the state accountable for your nasty remark. Just because Eureka knows how to put on a classy regional doesn't mean anything other than that. Your comment also insinuates that the reffing was poor as well - what basis do you have for that comment? Your remark was uncalled for, nasty, and rude.

Re: Regional Experiences #81223 02/20/06 12:57 AM
O
old Offline
O
Hoisington was terrific. Fabulous new facility, terrific team race between Smith Center & Beloit, steak (huge ones) dinner for workers and coaches, closed circuit viewing from the commons, great help at the scorers tables, only enough refereeing inconsistency to make things entertaining, a consolation semi-final (blood) round loaded with emotional overtime matches, a crazy lady from Smith Center with a wild yodling yell, regularly updated brackets, and very good wrestling. I think this regional will bag a good number of medals this weekend.

Re: Regional Experiences #81224 02/20/06 01:28 AM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
Ya, the Eureka remark was kind of a joke, It was meant to be funny to the people of NW Kansas not to Insult you, Im sure you care and it was nothing about Eureka its self i was just making a point about an offical being a little to sensitive. If i was you i wouldnt worry about what i was saying because no one really listens to me that much, im sure no one was sitting there and said "oh i never knew the parents from the Eureka Regional didnt care as much as us, but now i do". But i guess you showed that you do care. Sorry to ruffel your feathers and know that i wasnt sipping on the hateraide i was just blowing off some steam and thats the first thing that poped into my head.

Jason Malay

Re: Regional Experiences #81225 02/20/06 01:42 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
If a parent is screaming from the stands loud enough to be heard on the mat, and is insulting the official then he/she probably deserves to be sent home. Its not a matter of worrying about what is going on in the stands. Its a matter of spectators being spectators, not spectators being officials. Spectators have no right to insult officials anymore than coaches do. Booing a call and things like that, while unsportsmanlike, are a normal part of sporting events. But when you personally address an official and make remarks you are setting yourself up for ejection.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Regional Experiences #81226 02/20/06 02:00 AM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
I dont think that people understand that the whole point of this post was for people to agree with me and realize that i am right about what i am saying. What it has turned into is people critizing me, and im not all about that, and people have twisted my words twice now, which doesnt really make me to happy. Me implying that the refs at oberling wernt the best is not in anyway saying that the refing in eureka was bad. and the parent wasnt boing in the case where i said that the guy didnt deserve to be ejected, the ejection from this weekend might have been warnted, i dont know, but are you saying a ref should look up into the stand and yell at a parent when a kids is laying on the mat and its in the heat of the moment, you said that it is a normal part of wrestling even though it is unsportsman like and im saying if its normal for it to happen i have never seen a ref respond like that so that makes it an un-normal response. So back to my main point lets stop attacking me and twisting my words and lets start agreeing with me, Im not trying to be like gutwrench1 i was just trying to make a point.

Jason Malay

Re: Regional Experiences #81227 02/20/06 02:02 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Isom:
If a parent is screaming from the stands loud enough to be heard on the mat, and is insulting the official then he/she probably deserves to be sent home. Its not a matter of worrying about what is going on in the stands. Its a matter of spectators being spectators, not spectators being officials. Spectators have no right to insult officials anymore than coaches do. Booing a call and things like that, while unsportsmanlike, are a normal part of sporting events. But when you personally address an official and make remarks you are setting yourself up for ejection.
No Nigel, "booing" is NOT a normal part of high school events under Rule 52. I question where the administrator of this parents school was and why they were not involved? In our system the problem likely wouldn't have gotten to the point where an official became involved because one of our own would have dealt with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 255 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)