Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Any "wildcards"?? #81767 02/23/06 04:22 PM
D
Don't you wish Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Are there any wrestlers that have not been predicted to do well but others that have seen them wrestle know that they could do well and prove everyone wrong???

Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81768 02/23/06 06:48 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Oh..I thought this would be a post on what Seniors we should give a wildcard spot to for Sr. Nationals. I think you are looking for the word dark-horse.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81769 02/23/06 08:14 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
That would be "calling a spade a club" wouldn't Swayz, and you are starting to sound like your nemesis Salyer with the correcting thing. But that's ok because Salyer is "the man", my bud.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81770 02/23/06 09:05 PM
W
W. Heights AD Offline
W
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Sweazy:
Oh..I thought this would be a post on what Seniors we should give a wildcard spot to for Sr. Nationals. I think you are looking for the word dark-horse.
If Dante does not beat Furches... thats an "if"............ then Dante should get a wild card at 103 lbs! No predictions... just an if... should be a fun match!

Coach Church

"Well spoken words have great value, but hard work has it's own rewards"
Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81771 02/23/06 09:56 PM
GENERALWRESTLING Offline
the wild cards could be shellhamer, forsburg and canale from rose hill

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81772 02/23/06 10:29 PM
J
just-a-dad Offline
J
Mitchell OE 160....

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81773 02/26/06 08:42 AM
statewrestle55 Offline
Who is Genral Wrestle cuz Forsberg and Canale are not seniors therefore couldn't go to senior nationals

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81774 02/26/06 02:39 PM
K
kcsooner Offline
K
Chase Watkins at 171 from BVN 44-6 record lost to Nolan Kellerman 2-0 in semifinals.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81775 02/26/06 03:14 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I actually thought about starting another thread on this topic. Let me first of all state, Nathan, my son, will be making a comment later on these board. This morning we want to celebrate at church, and then celebrate the day doing whatever our son wants. That said, I believe it important to say the following.

This conversation goes beyond just a wildcard, but also to a system that I believe needs to be changed. I have to be cautious as to the way this comes out. I was reminded by a man I greatly respect last night that sometimes people take the written word the wrong way. I know I have done that and have had others do that with my words. Please before you misunderstand me, email me for clarification on my points or ask the question here and I’ll try to answer.

I hope I have made it perfectly clear of my respect for all of the 6A 103 wrestlers, or for that matter all 103 wrestlers in this state. I haven’t met a single parent or wrestler at that age group that I wouldn’t do anything I could to help. Nathan McCormick for example brought his A game to the tournament last night and wrestled one heck of a match against my son. He put Nathan, my son on his back for the first time this year, twice! I can’t tell you how much I like McCormick, his dad, who I had a pleasant conversation with and so forth. I want to make that clear.

Now that being said, I believe that we as a state have to look seriously at seeding at the very least 4 wrestlers, regional winners, for the State tournament. I know people say; “yea, but you have to wrestle the best any way some place.” Or, “Yea but we really are only wrestling for 1st, we just care about making sure we have a champion.” I have to be honest here, we use that and other arguments, but I wonder if we really think that through. I can think of no greater example than Dante Rogers. I will personally be writing a letter, making a phone call, making this post and requesting that the state consider and give Dante a wildcard to represent Kansas at Senior Nationals. The fact is, it is possible, and even likely, that the lack of seeding based on record, and head-to-head competition, prevented him from earning, a spot on the Kansas Senior Team. I will go so far as to say, that because of his weight, Dante has an excellent opportunity to place and All American at the Senior Nationals as a 103 wrestler. I just happen to believe, that after giving to his team, the sport, the fans, and the state for the years he has, that a close decision like this should not be made on the possibility that he was on the wrong side of the bracket during his last state meet.

I have tried to word my words carefully here and realize that some may still take them wrong. Here is all I know, a fine young man, who should represent Kansas, may not, in part, because, we make a mistake of not seeding our wrestlers. For the athlete who gives and gives of their time, blood, sweat, and more, I think we as a state owe to them a debt of gratitude of doing the best we can to provide the best opportunity possible. For those that saw the numbers around the mat Friday night when Dante and Nathan wrestled, you know that there was a great deal of interest in seeing this match. I don’t recall much more interest in a match the whole tournament. I appreciate that, but for the young man who is almost like a son to me, whom I love and care about. I would hope that our state would do what is right, and grant him the wildcard he deserves so he can wrestle again for our state.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81776 02/26/06 05:36 PM
V
vikes Offline
V
those are nice words, but think about how many over the years can say they were in the same position as mr rogers. The seeding has been done this way for ever. in your opinion, he should be top 2, but i'm sure there are dozens of others out there who believe they were not given a chance as well. I'm not saying he wouldn't represent ks, but if this can is opened, we will be fighting for many other kids as well.

by the way, did rogers wrestle the last 3 years. if so, he had 4 years to get to the championship.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81777 02/26/06 05:54 PM
Pokerface Offline
If your a Senior and wrestling 103 and have never made the state finals why would you deserve a wildcard to any national tournament????

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81778 02/26/06 09:01 PM
Scarecrow_103 Offline
I agree with Mr. Furches that there should be seeding at state just like every other tournament all year long. Why we seed our League tournaments and our regional tournaments and not seed our state tournament is a mystery to me. If not seed then let third challenge for second. Just because it's always been this way is really not an answer. Just my two cents worth.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81779 02/27/06 04:18 AM
N
near fall Offline
N
The problem with seeding just the number 1 from the regionals is that some regions are stacked and the number 2 or number 3 is better than many of the other regional number 1's.
If you make an arrangement to seed than you really need to seed at least 8 if not more!
The smack of this semi is really the finals and that sort of talk is disrespectful to many of the kids-
The NFL, NBA etc... do not reseed teams after the qualifying matches and should not.
There are too many good kids every year that do not even make it back to state because of such a tough region-should they get a wild card to state?
Furches will cry in the paper how his buddy really was the final match and I find this distasteful and disrespectful to his opponent in the finals who again was the only wrestler to put Nathan on his back this year. Let rankings and local seeding be the political arm and just let the kids wrestle as the best they can in a pretty darn good system that has passed the test of time.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81780 02/27/06 04:20 AM
N
near fall Offline
N
The problem with seeding just the number 1 from the regionals is that some regions are stacked and the number 2 or number 3 is better than many of the other regional number 1's.
If you make an arrangement to seed than you really need to seed at least 8 if not more!
The smack of this semi is really the finals and that sort of talk is disrespectful to many of the kids-
The NFL, NBA etc... do not reseed teams after the qualifying matches and should not.
There are too many good kids every year that do not even make it back to state because of such a tough region-should they get a wild card to state?
Furches will cry in the paper how his buddy really was the final match and I find this distasteful and disrespectful to his opponent in the finals who again was the only wrestler to put Nathan on his back this year. Let rankings and local seeding be the political arm and just let the kids wrestle as the best they can in a pretty darn good system that has passed the test of time.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81781 02/27/06 04:33 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I think Fox of Douglass should have a serious look for a wildcard. I also agree with Rogers having a look if anything for the fact we don't have any 103 seniors. Kimzey of Prarie View is a Sr. isn't he? That would be a good one as well.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81782 02/27/06 07:09 AM
C
ccushenbery Offline
C
Four words..... ROUND ROBIN STATE MADNESS!!!!

Just imagine, we could once and for all put to rest all of the arguments about 2nd and 3rd place finishers AND if we combined all classes into one gigantic pool, we could finally decide which one is actually the toughest all at the same time!

It would be totally awesome, maybe Jilka could even arrange to have a Taco Shop sponsored "Taco State Championship". The wrestlers could easily be included in this competition without worrying about weight issues as long as the event is held near the end of the tournament. By that time, so many "pound-a-day" allowances should have built up that a heavyweight could actually eat the winner and still make weight the next day.

Whos in????

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81783 02/27/06 07:10 AM
C
ccushenbery Offline
C
Sorry... It's been a long weekend

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81784 02/27/06 03:27 PM
D
drogersv1032005 Offline
D
I know that a lot of people don't think I deserve the "Wild Card" pick to go to senior nationals. I am only a froth year wrestler and I believe I have acomplished just as much as 75% of the seniors that are qualified. I have already placed at 3 National Tournaments. I have won almost every tournament I have went to this year. The only 4 losses I have had are to the 6A state champ, 5A state champ, and the 4A state champ. If you don't believe that I should be given one of the "Wild Card" picks thats fine but don't say that a don't deserve to wrestle at a national tournament when I have worked hard for 4 years to get where I am at today.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81785 02/27/06 03:29 PM
D
drogersv1032005 Offline
D
I know that a lot of people don't think I deserve the "Wild Card" pick to go to senior nationals. I am only a 4th year wrestler and I believe I have acomplished just as much as 75% of the seniors that are qualified. I have already placed at 3 National Tournaments. I have won almost every tournament I have went to this year. The only 4 losses I have had are to the 6A state champ, 5A state champ, and the 4A state champ. If you don't believe that I should be given one of the "Wild Card" picks thats fine but don't say that I don't deserve to wrestle at a national tournament when I have worked hard for 4 years to get where I am at today.

Re: Any "wildcards"?? #81786 02/27/06 03:43 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
Maybe we could put a tournament on between state and national and wrestle our best off to see who desires the postion. If there are 4 103 seniors then wrestle off for the opportunity to go

not sure it would work but hey I had 2 cents and throw it into the pot

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 291 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,964
Posts250,402
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)