Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior Sons #82219 02/27/06 02:11 AM
M
Mom160 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
As I sat in the stands last weekend waiting for my son to wrestle, tears started to well in my eyes. I realized I was about to watch him wrestle for the last time. Win or lose, it was over. No more nightly laundry bags, full of clothes so sweaty & smelly I shuddered to touch them. No more wrestling shoes drying by the heater at night. Never again to arise at 4:30 to pack your lunch before sending you off to weigh-in. No more riding for hours to towns unknown to sit in a smelly gym all day on hard, uncomfortable, crowded bleachers, in order to cheer you on, waiting for hours between matches so I wouldn't miss that next match. No more triumphs when your arm was raised, no more sorrow when you left the mat after an unhappy loss. Will you wrestle next year? Maybe, maybe not. But it will never be the same.

You see, wrestling has dominated my life for 4 seasons, for 4 years. It is the one sport that you allow me to fully share, and for that, I thank you for taking me on such an amazing journey. I am SO proud of you!

Re: Senior Sons #82220 02/27/06 03:04 AM
cholifut Offline
Mom160,
I couldn't have said it better. I too share your sorrow and pride. If our Son's use the character they developed in wrestling, they will be successful in life.

Re: Senior Sons #82221 02/27/06 04:46 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Send him to wrestle in college!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Senior Sons #82222 02/27/06 05:11 AM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
I would give all parents that are reading this some advice: Whether your son is a junior , sophomore, or freshman, enjoy those moments and the accomplishments that your son or daughter are able to produce with all the pride that you would if he or she were a senior and it was for the last time. One moment and one injury can change things immediatly and what you have is what you had, and the future that you anticipate is gone. good enough to relish the plans for the future, but be proud of EVERY season because you never know if there will be another.

Re: Senior Sons #82223 02/27/06 03:19 PM
usawks1 Offline
Dear Mom160, You are obviously a fantastic mom and the kind we need more of in our sport. The love and joy you feel for your son speaks loudly through your words.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Senior Sons #82224 02/27/06 04:34 PM
M
Mike Church Sr. Offline
M
Mom160, I don't know who your son is but I know he is proud to have you for a mom.

Good luck to whatever the future brings you.
Mike Church Sr.

Re: Senior Sons #82225 02/27/06 05:04 PM
Mike Furches Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by mike fairleigh:
I would give all parents that are reading this some advice: Whether your son is a junior , sophomore, or freshman, enjoy those moments and the accomplishments that your son or daughter are able to produce with all the pride that you would if he or she were a senior and it was for the last time. One moment and one injury can change things immediatly and what you have is what you had, and the future that you anticipate is gone. good enough to relish the plans for the future, but be proud of EVERY season because you never know if there will be another.
Great advice Mike, especially coming from you.

Re: Senior Sons #82226 02/27/06 10:03 PM
M
Maniac Offline
M
Mom160,
I had the same emotions that you had a year ago. That empty feeling that it was all over especially on parents night, regionals and then state...and those memories couldn't be erased. But thankfully I had 2 sons...
And I worried that the memories wouldn't be the same as watching your oldest son mature into a very talented wrestler. Thank goodness, I get to enjoy my youngest son for 2 more years and get to watch him grow and become a better wrestler everyday, just like I got to with the first one! The memories are "priceless and will be cherished forever!"

Re: Senior Sons #82227 02/27/06 10:58 PM
R
Raider wrestling mom Offline
R
Mom160,
I too share your sentiments as I also have a senior. It was very hard to watch my son at State this past weekend and know that this was the culmination of numerous hours of hard work. It was truly rewarding to see him on the medal stand and know how much it meant to him. The one memory that stands out from all of the rest is when he gave me a hug at the end of the day and said "Thankyou for everything". I am so proud of the person he has become and am grateful for awesome coaches that inspired and motivated him to believe in his abilities.

Re: Senior Sons #82228 02/27/06 11:40 PM
J
Jim Cross Offline
J
Mom 160
I know how much your son appriciates everything you have done for him and he is a fine young man. I worked with him last year in kids club and I wish he could come back, tell him a great job from the Cross family and that Austin followed how he did all year.

Jim Cross
Re: Senior Sons #82229 02/27/06 11:55 PM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Mom160--I do know who you are and I definitely know how you feel. Your son is an awesome young man and wrestler. As I went through senior night, the last dual, regionals and then state. I kept thinking aren't I gonna cry or something. Well, it wasn't until I saw them raise my boys arm...finally, in that State Championship match, that tears of joy just poured down my face. I/He/We have waited so long for him to achieve this milestone, but it was definitely worth the wait. I actually feel no sadness that this season is over...more like fulfillment. I want to thank my wonderful son for giving me such a great and entertaining ride over the past 14-15 years in wrestling. Wrestling has not only made him better in life, but it has made me better too. Being his mom has made me a better person. I want to thank everyone that has spent even 5 minutes helping, encouraging, coaching, correcting, hammering on, my son. He has become a fine young man and wrestler and will hopefully, be an even better asset to society. I close not sad but hopeful. Hopeful, about what he will become and that I may possibly get to see him wrestle again and thankful. Thankful, that God let me see a little corner of heaven when he gave be that scrony little 7# baby boy, that had projectile vomiting, and we thought would never amount to anything, and turned him into 200+ pounds of muscle and sweat.

Thanks Mom160 for bringing up this topic. And thanks God for giving me another son to watch for one more year.

Ms. Jenni

Re: Senior Sons #82230 02/28/06 01:09 AM
tuffEnuff2 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by mike fairleigh:
well said...
...been there done that Gabe Smull has had bad luck every year in high school. illness his freshman year the first year he qualified at state, but went 30-11 at 145 that year, the onlyother time he qualified. his sohpomore year he suffered a nagging back injury that wouldnt quite heal, last year a torn LCL and sugery that ended his season in January his junior year, at the time we has 21-2. and this year his foot was dislocated in the regional football game against smith center, he still can not run, instead he rode countless hours on the bike, early mornings and late nights, and wrestled with extreme pain in most matches unable to push off his left foot. injuries during his career that kept him from the mat in the off season, which is where you only get better.

even thought he lost to roe twice, he gave it his best, and was not imtimidated in the least, Gabe also beat some good kids on the way to the finals. he was never ranked during the year or even given a second thought, although he knew he could do it.

now after his loss saturday night it now has made him a little hungry, not satisfied ending his wrestling career on that note, and previously determined to play football in college, he now has reconsidered those thoughts, if he get any offers to wrestle in college, he just may entertain them.

fortunately my other son Gavin a sophomore also qualified at 125, also overlooked but went 2-2 in a very tough weight class this year, i couldnt be more proud of his effort.

cherish every match, because you never know when the last one will be!

God gave you a body that can take almost anything, its your mind you have to convince -vince lombardi
Re: Senior Sons #82231 02/28/06 04:34 AM
Nedly Offline
mom160,

Dads have those same feelings. This was a hard weekend for me as well, for the all of the same reasons listed above.

I will always remember the proud feeling I had sitting matside watching and coaching my son for the last in his career.

Nathan, thanks for all of the wonderful memories! Your mother and I are so very proud of you.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,954
Posts250,390
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)