Published on Pratt Community College (http://www.prattcc.edu)

Beaver Wrestlers Qualify Six for Nationals
2/11/07

It was a banner Saturday for the PCC Wrestling Team as they qualified six wrestlers for Nationals and came away with a 4th place team finish at the West/Central Zone Regional Qualifier held at Neosho Community College in Chanute. Pratt ended the day only three team points out of second place and garnered the tournament’s Outstanding Wrestler Award, given to Jason Nichols at 157. The tournament was a huge success for the resurgent wrestling program and first year Head Coach Chas Thompson.

PCC had four finalists in the tournament: James Fox (133), Colby Crawford (141), Rylan England (149), and Jason Nichols (157). Crawford and Nichols both took firsts, and England and Fox earned seconds.

Unfortunately James Fox forfeited in the finals due to a minor injury that occurred in his semi-final match. In the semi-finals James defeated #7 ranked Tyler Baker of Colby CC 8-3. James tied the series between the two 2-2.

“James wanted that win bad,” said Coach Thompson. “Tyler is pretty much James’ in-state rival. They’re buddies off the mat, but when they step on the mat they really battle. It was unfortunate that we had to make a decision to not wrestle James so he can be healthy going into Nationals in two weeks.”

Colby Crawford powered his way to PCC’s first Regional Individual Championship in dominating fashion, defeating Stuart Brinkman from Western Wyoming 10-4. In the semi-finals Colby got a fall in just 37 seconds over #8 ranked Marcus Bowman of Labette, an opponent he had previously lost to twice this season.

“I was really pumped for Colby when he got that fall,” said Thompson. “We had a good idea we’d run into this kid this weekend, devised a plan of attack and came away with a big win.”

Rylan England lost in the finals to #3 ranked Willie Pendleton of Labette in a very hard fought match. Rylan battled to tie the match 3-3 with a stall call and just 20 seconds left, but with only 4 seconds remaining he was taken down and lost 5-3. In the semi-finals Rylan also avenged an earlier season loss, defeating #4 ranked Cody Chipperfield of Western Wyoming 4-2.

“I’ve said this all year about Rylan,” offered Thompson. “He’s the quiet storm that no one sees coming. The guy is slowly moving his way up the rankings. Plain and simple, Rylan isn’t scared of anybody you put in front of him.”

Jason Nichols ended the night for the Beavers with an impressive fall in the second period over #5 ranked Jeb Clark of Northwest Wyoming. Jason also defeated the #6 ranked Clayton Cook of Western Wyoming in the semi-finals 7-2. Nichols efforts earned him the Outstanding Wrestler Award.

“I think Jason was up 8-2 when he got the fall and won the tournament,” said Thompson. “What can I say, Jason is a beast. That’s why I called him up 7 months ago and asked him if he wanted to come out here and wrestle. He just makes this sport look easy.”

Two other Beaver grapplers also qualified for Nationals. Carl Wilkinson (285) and Justin Naccarato (197) both got 3rd place. Nac got a 1-0 decision over Naoto Saga of Colby CC for 3rd and 4th. Carl won 7-2 over Wesley Grant of Neosho CC to take 3rd also.

Other placers for the Beavers were Nick McGrew in 5th place at 165 lbs, Alex Monegro 5th place at 184 lbs, Matt Banta 6th place at 125 lbs, and Kirk Fairley got 6th place at 174 lbs.

“I’m extremely proud of the guys,” said Coach Thompson. “They all trained hard for this meet, and I think it showed in the tournament. I think getting six through is great, but we could have gotten 1-2 more through. We had a couple of nail biters this weekend that could have gone either way. Now we’ll just take a little time to recuperate over the next couple days then get back to training for the National Tournament in Rochester, Minnesota February 24th and 25th.

Team Scores
1st place Labette CC 98.5
2nd place NW Wyoming CC 66.5
3rd place W Wyoming CC 64.5
4th place Pratt CC 63.5
5th place Colby CC 47.5
6th place Neosho CC 24

National Qualifiers

James Fox 2nd place 133lbs
Dec. Brady Hayden WWCC 8-1
Dec. Tyler Baker CCC 8-3
Forfeit to Josh Baldridge LCC