I think that Cokeley in on point on this topic. What I am getting from Will, correct me if I am wrong Will, is that you only get better if you are wrestling the best. It doesn't matter win or loose, just wrestling the best gets you notoriety on the D1 level. Here is a moto "to be the best you have to wrestle the best". Hum, wonder where that comes from?

It is sad that for our kids state it is a grand state. They don't separate the little kids by classes, yes there are more weight classes, but i doesn't matter if you come from a town of 200 population or from a town 10X that size.

My son realized this this past weekend at the 4A state championships. he said "Dad, all the kids that i wrestle now won't be in my bracket in high school?" I replied "Yes". He then commented, "High school will be easier than kids". I told him "Not always". If a 9 year old can see it why can't everyone else?

Have you ever wondered why HS state champs don't go to kids state after they have won a HS title, if their age allows,? Is it because they are a little afraid of having the "State Champ" tarnished do to a loss at kids state? You can't say, well why would they?

They won HS state they don't need to go. If they wanted the D1 schools looking at them they would continue on. I am very close to some of the current and past coaches at OSU, P. Smith, Mark Branch, Shane Roller and others. All 3 of these guys stated "to get noticed by D1 schools you almost have to place at Fargo".

Shane Roller stated that his kids titles and Tulsa Nationals titles helped his credentials probably more so than his 4 HS titles. One word backs up what Will is saying about Fargo being the main tournament for kids from Kansas. "Erisman"!!!! Yes, he placed at Fargo.

Bring back grand state or combine them all. All kids need to know that when in the real world there are no classifications pertaining to where you are from if you are applying for a job.

Are we setting up our kids for disappointments and failures by giving them the false sense of what the real world is about?

Not bashing or wanting to upset people just sate my opinion and raising some points to ponder.

Jason Wood

"Champions rise during the week not the weekend"
Jason Wood