Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: wanwan21] #106829 03/28/07 02:35 AM
T
tbau Offline
T
I just call it as I see it.I was talking about the kids coming out with sunglasses talking on cell phones. I don't understand why their parents allowed them to do it.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: wanwan21] #106831 03/28/07 02:44 AM
T
TheTiger Offline
T
I don't subscribe to the arguement that these kids have done this work and that work. The truth is every other kid out there participating put in the exact same work so to speak. And surprisingly enough you don't see a lot of them acting in that manner. I don't believe you can use excuses to justify poor behavior.

I'm not saying some of these things that were done where awful and terrible. Why not act in the spirit of the sport. Showboating is showboating.

From Websters

1. (informal) a person who behaves flamboyantly to gain attention; show-off.

Would talking on a cell phone not be an attempt to draw attention to one's self? Backflips to the center?

Hey I'm not saying don't have fun out there, because thats what we are all here for. But there is a time and place for that, and I personally believe that time is after you have won the finals match, and even then it shouldn't be something to degrade your opponent. To do this stuff before that match in an introduction meant to show mutual respect is disgraceful. Go out there shake the opponents hand and then go back and get yourself ready for the match (mentally/physically).

I can't say I'd have a major problem with this type of stuff continuing to go on from a standpoint of needed action by the state board. I think the lack of respect from those that understand sportsmanship is probably punishment enough. I cite as and example, that large amount of booing that happens to wrestlers who draw attention to themselves for whatever reason ( Not that I agree that booing is sportsmanlike either)

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: TheTiger] #106835 03/28/07 04:12 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Ok, to clear some things up. I was talking about the 8 and under kid, and I assumed everyone knew who I was talking about and I got a chuckle out of it b/c it was an innocent thing. Also, I'm not saying that every kid in the finals should do something ridiculous and dumb for attention. I've never acted that way and won't ever encourage a kid to act that way. I do think that some showboating is good for the sport. It draws attention not only to them, but to the sport. I'm not for the extreme showboating, but I'm all for watching some of the smaller stuff. There's nothing wrong with a kid doing a backflip after he's introduced. It's all in fun in my opinion.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: Curtis Chenoweth] #106836 03/28/07 04:12 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
And Mr. Gaither, I think we should blame it more on the fact that I know nothing about the sport...;\)

Last edited by Curtis Chenoweth; 03/28/07 04:13 AM.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: TheTiger] #106837 03/28/07 04:13 AM
L
luvmyson Offline
L
These kids are getting exactly what they wanted "Attention" from all of us....I agree right place and time for everything...
I guess we can be thankful that it wasnt our daughter or son out there making fools of themselves......

Wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all wrestlers, who placed at state and even to the ones who didnt....its a great honor to even be there......Be proud of yourselves.......

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: luvmyson] #106838 03/28/07 07:54 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Who was the cell phone culprit?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: tbau] #106842 03/28/07 10:41 AM
W
wanwan21 Offline
W
You call it as it you see it? No, you get on the internet under a psuedo name and attack people, that is what you are doing. What is your motive in refering to them as street thugs? If it was to stop showboating, then speak on that issue without using such negative,demeaning terms to describe those that participated. My point was and still is, how dare you refer to them as street thugs. Do you get some sort of pleasure in degrading 14/16 year olds. IF your topic is "showboating should not be allowed", then stick to your point without name calling, if you are mature enough to do that.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: wanwan21] #106848 03/28/07 11:53 AM
J
John Leupold Offline
J
My son felt totally ashamed after reading this post last night. I told him not to worry about it because in my opinion he has nothing to be ashamed about. Call him a thug, unsportsmanlike, or any thing else you want but let me say this. None of you know my son so until you get to know him dont pass judgment. He was in no way trying to be disrespectful to anyone. We have been going to the state tournament for years now and one of our favorite parts are the introductions. I cant remember a year when at least one kid didnt do a back flip. Why is this the first time that anyone has said anything about it being disrespectful? For those of you who do know my son you know that he is very shy and will hardly talk to you until he gets to know you. He would have never dreamed that he was being disrespectful when he did the back flip during introductions. He didnt even want to do it. He had several people (mostly adults) trying to talk him into it. I know that there rules about unsportsmanlike conduct. If this is so terrible why have they allowed it for years?

John Leupold

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: John Leupold] #106850 03/28/07 12:12 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
John, please tell your son that I liked the back flip; I liked his finals match even more. Keep up the good work.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #106851 03/28/07 12:59 PM
G
GT Williams Offline
G
People I think we need to be careful here. A wrestler should respect his opponent and I would admonish anyone who in anyway fails to do that. The antics portion is not that big a deal. We are a diverse group with many backgrounds and these kids sometimes feel the need to express themselves and that is just the way kids are. I suggest we should allow that freedom of expression and not worry about it. Of course the parents and coaches should instruct and monitor the behavior. By the way, Camron Leupold is a great kid. My $.02.

Tom Williams

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: wanwan21] #106852 03/28/07 01:03 PM
C
cjws Offline
C
one of the many reasons im proud of my son is when a match is over you could not tell if he won or lost,never disrespecting his opponets or officals even on some questionable calls.he always would shake refs hand after a match and that comes from wrestling 8 yrs for matt collins and mayo tovar, it comes from the coaches and or clubs, on just how much they will allow and how they want their club to be represented.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #106853 03/28/07 01:05 PM
Z
Zach F. Dad Offline
Z
I left before the finals and didn't see any of this, but it's bad enough we have to endure all the premeditated endzone celebrations in the NFL. Thank God for college sports that still demand a little class. I don't mind some excitement, back flips for example, something spontaneous. But the premeditated showboating shows nothing but lack of class and arrogance that you may or may not be able to back up. Most people love nothing more than watching the guy that acts like that going down. I have a lot more respect for a kid that lets his wrestling ability do the talking for him.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #106854 03/28/07 01:12 PM
windjammer Offline
John,

You are correct, kids have been doing backflips for years. Frankly, I haven't had a real problem with that and this topic would not probably be posted if backflips were the worst being done. I think the reason for the outcry this year is not because of the backflips. It has escalated to cell phones, sunglasses, poses and fake photographers following you onto the mat.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: windjammer] #106857 03/28/07 01:32 PM
J
John Leupold Offline
J
Thanks to all for the kind words....I agree it got a little out of control this year.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: gwrestling] #106858 03/28/07 01:32 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: gwrestling
I have to clear the air about the child who walked only halfway out. If it was the wrestler, in the 8 and under weight class, he was a novice wrestler who worked hard to get to get to state,and reach the finals. He was a very nervous and didn't realize what he did and for sure didn't mean to disrespect anyone. I spoke with him right after the intros and he said the glare from the light hitting the mat made it hard to see and he was scared he might fall or something. He is a great kid, and does not display that type of behavior and would never disrespect any wrestler like that. No, I am not his father, but one of his coaches.

I do agree with others in that the cell phone antics and such were over the top and very disrespectful and should not be tolerated.

I'm glad you cleared that up. On the surface it sounded like a motivated show of disrespect. Now I understand what you meant Curtis. I really have no problem with the backflips, as long as it's after the handshake. The cell phone however was a weak attempt to gain attention.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: GT Williams] #106875 03/28/07 05:36 PM
T
tbau Offline
T
john,
I was not talking about Camron there is nothing wrong with what he did. I am sorry if I offended anyone but when the kids come out with the sunglasses and cellphones I thought it was tacky at best. Maybe thug was too strong a word but when it happened thats what I thought. I think its important for kids to realize how they are percieved by other people, and that their actions directly reflect on that. again I am sorry if anyone was offended. wanwan21 who are you??

Tom Baughman

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: ltrain] #106894 03/28/07 08:53 PM
C
cptkegman Offline
C
great sport yes but do your history the only reason the sport exist becuase gladator to proform infront of 87000 romans show off there abilties as a fighter but also entertianing the fans so they get payed and feed so there showing off is just tradtion

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: wanwan21] #106903 03/28/07 10:21 PM
T
Takedown145 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
First of all Mr.Leuopold by no means was I bad mouthing your son,to be honest didn't even notice him doing one,met him at salina and was really impressed so my apology...I seen a little older kid doing back flips and that was all I seen do one,,My point is this,as these kids grow into young men and Im talking 12 and up they know when they are being disrespected,shown up,etc.... what would have happened if the other young man who was waiting for a hand shake felt shown up and carried that into his/her match and it escalated into something major then that young man would be hung on this forum probally by the same people who are condoning the back flips,cell phone etc.... I agree with CHIEF if your gonna do that wait until after you shake hands,my son who is 13 fought same actions in football and frankly said if that would have happened to him he would have turned around and not shook his oppanents hand,him and his teamates all looked at it as disrespectful,would you give him or whoever the same understanding for not shaking a hand or having words during/after there matchup???? I thought I might have over reacted and kept my mouth shut but more I think about it dont think so,it's not the circus where acts like that would be gladly seen,not calling anyone out,that's not my intention but if my son did that I would expect to read the same on some post

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: Takedown145] #106931 03/29/07 03:43 AM
T
TheTiger Offline
T
I agree, backflips maybe done after the shake aren't that big of a deal, but if we continue to let this escalate like it did this year, it will only get much worse.

Re: Poor taste/sportsmanship during introductions [Re: cptkegman] #106932 03/29/07 04:07 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: cptkegman
great sport yes but do your history the only reason the sport exist becuase gladator to proform infront of 87000 romans show off there abilties as a fighter but also entertianing the fans so they get payed and feed so there showing off is just tradtion

The sport wouldn't have existed if not for gladiators entertaining the fans to get paid and fed? Now that is called reaching.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 111 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)