I've been thinking a lot lately (I know, quit bragging!) and I guess I am ready to share a few thoughts with you!

First, I need to qualify my feelings! These are not just a "knee-jerk" reactions toward the lack of AA at this years NHSCA Senior Nationals. They are reflections on the whole of Kansas wrestling.

I feel we (Kansas Wrestling) do a pretty good job turning out elite wrestlers. Generally we produce wrestlers who place well in Fargo and those who go on to wrestle D1 or D2. Year in and year out Kansas is producing wrestlers that excel!

However, where I really think we (Kansas wrestling) need to do a better job at is; improving the skills of our average wrestlers. A few teams, STA-'07, Scott City-'04, have won State titles without crowning a Champion. These two were great examples of what I am talking about!

I believe this signifies a great team! These teams and their wrestlers are developed. They come from a good solid program. The parallel that I'm most reminded of ... is a good baseball farm system.

Our "farm-systems" are our kids clubs! I can think of very few solid high school programs that have done so, without that feeder program.

I’ve sat at the Kids State Tourney and seen 1,000’s of matches. I think, for the most part, that our kids clubs are doing an okay job. However, in my opinion, I have seen far too many kids that lack basic fundamentals and skills. Wrestlers too often shoot without a setup or shoot without moving their opponent. They shoot at a far leg with no chance of reaching it; they don’t control their positioning or exploit their opponents.

I feel it is the job or duty of our kids’ club coaches; to develop skills in their athletes. If they are our “farm-system” managers then development should be job 1. Skills are developed by perfect and proper drilling! I have seen far too many wrestlers, with 5 or 6 years of wrestling that lack basic skills.

Now, when kids filter through the conduit from feeder program to high school program, it doesn’t mean that their development is over. High school coaches should take them to that next level. Breaking bad habits that a wrestler has been taught or allowed to get away with should not be part of duties but it is.

Too often, HS coaches, have to re-teach basic skills or undo years of bad habits. This is where I think the problem lies!

The HS coach may not take the time to re-teach and undo; it is a frustrating activity that too often the HS coach will tire of. Instead the coach will put his efforts into his athletes that already have basic skills. (in fact, I might prefer a freshman or sophomore that has never wrestled be in my program rather than a 5-year kids club wrestler that has bad habits)

This creates problems that I have identified. HS coaches do a good job with their skilled athletes. Many HS coaches do a good job teaching skills to our “new” athletes. However, it is that experienced wrestler without skills or with bad habits that we need to do a better job with.

Perhaps we need to divide our group, for part of practice, by skill level. JV tournaments are a great tool. Personally, I am going to use them a lot more next year.

The solution … is for the high school coach to be an integral part of the feeder program. (approach this delicately in programs where this cooperation is not already in place) Wrestlers need to develop and being part of a system, will allow this to happen!

I hope I am expressing my feelings adequately! I guess I will stop now and wait for some reaction!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant