Randy good post but you forgot a couple of things… Manhattan won a title with no champs in 2004! OK I just had to pull a Richard. ;\)

The other thing is you have to deal with the fact that some of these clubs have straight up volunteers that may have never wrestled in their lives and are expected to teach fundamentals! If the coaching staff doesn’t know a low level from a high crotch then nothing will ever get better. I’m not being critical of these people for the fact they just need help and guidance. I have seen it many times that you have enthusiastic dads with unreal expectations because they have never been instructed on how to teach proper technique! They don’t know it and wouldn’t even know where to start unless they are as fortante as the some clubs that you have mentioned.

First thing is that HS coaches need to embrace their youth clubs, this is their future! They should be the ones that develop a plan and vision for youth clubs to follow nurture a relationship with these people.

Secondly the state body needs to a better job of educating coaches on fundamentals, we spend a lot of time preparing them for the political side of the business… No offense Randy. But nothing to educate them on the proper technique. How many 6 year olds have you seen that have a killer head lock or a double chicken wing? How many times does this work at the HS level or higher? You need to teach a half a dozen things and do them inside, outside and in your sleep. But the simple things are your money game if they are done correctly! They may not be real flashy but this stuff works, ask any college wrestler! You can drive a Cadillac but the VW will still get you to dance!

I would recommend that the State Body should sponsor Technique clinics around the state prior to the start of the season just like Randy does his game! Get Welton, Woodford, Kirk Baker, Akin, Roberson, Johnson, Ludke. Pay these guys to do a road show and instruct these new coaches on what works and what doesn’t! Get everyone on the same page with the basics. The KWCA does this kind of thing with their event… I think it should be done at the Kid’s level too.

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!