Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Benelli] #114701 12/19/07 01:59 PM
M
Mike's Mom Offline
M
I wrote a post that seemed like I was tooting my own horn about my son so I deleted it and thought of this instead.

Okay, some valid points have been made on both sides. My son has wrestled for 5 years now and I'll be the 1st to admit, I have said on more than one occasion that I didn't understand why 6&U wasn't recognized by the state. It made no sense to me. Do they not have to follow the same guidelines for all other tournaments? Do they not have to make weight like every other age and weight division? Why should they be segragated from the other wrestlers? We went to Ottawa 2x and were very successful but that didn't stop my son from asking why he wasn't allowed to wrestle at the STATE TOURNAMENT with his team mates. I'm not knocking Ottawa by any means. Props to Ottawa for standing up for these kids when the state wouldn't. But SOME of these 6&U wrestlers have the dedication and the determination to want more. They want to be able to go the "THE BIG SHOW" with the rest of their team and I for one don't blame them.

For the wrestlers who can't remember what they did at practice the night before, maybe they are to young for wrestling right now. Maybe the coaches aren't giving them the individual attention that IS needed in every club. Maybe they just don't enjoy it. There are any number of reasons they don't remember what they did. You have to figure out if they are wrestling because THEY want to or YOU want them to. Hopefully it is their choice.

Let's all just enjoy the season, it will be over before we know it.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Mike's Mom] #114706 12/19/07 02:31 PM
M
millspartyof5 Offline
M
I am a 6U parent and my opinion is that they need to be incorporated into the regular state tournament. They are competing in it anyway and the little 6U studs are placing and beating out the 8U for places. This really isn't fair to the 8U. Several 6U are fierce wrestlers and as Mike's Mom states these kids are competing and are dedicated just as the older age groups throughout the season why can't they be included in these qualifying tournaments and move on to the state tournament with their teams? What are they working so hard for all season when any 6U can go to 6U state regardless of their accomplishments? I realize they are working toward their future in wrestling but they deserve equal recognition and opportunities.

This obviously isn't going to happen this year so my son won't see that day however for this year my opinion is that there needs to be 1 tournament only for 6U state otherwise neither one are serving their purpose. At this point I don't know where I should have my son go. Is USAWKS involved in sorting through this issue?

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Mike's Mom] #114707 12/19/07 02:36 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
 Originally Posted By: Mike's Mom

For the wrestlers who can't remember what they did at practice the night before, maybe they are to young for wrestling right now. Maybe the coaches aren't giving them the individual attention that IS needed in every club. Maybe they just don't enjoy it. There are any number of reasons they don't remember what they did. You have to figure out if they are wrestling because THEY want to or YOU want them to. Hopefully it is their choice.

Let's all just enjoy the season, it will be over before we know it.

Actually our coaches do a wonderful job and have plenty of time for one on one...
...and if you must know, often my kids talk ME into going to practice when I would rather stay home.
Do THEY want a big show or do YOU???

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Benelli] #114722 12/19/07 06:38 PM
M
Mike's Mom Offline
M
I am not calling your club or your coaches out. I am merely stating a fact that SOME CLUBS do not or can not provide the one on one that each child needs due to the kids vs coaches ratio. That is why we are with a small club that focuses on each childs individual ability.

As far as The Big Show goes, if you are asking if I think my son should be able to go to the Kansas State Tournament as a 6 or 7 year old because I think he is a stud, then my answer is no. I know my son wrestled all season long and worked just as hard as the rest of his team mates did and DESERVES to go. (we did last year as a 7 year old and now my son is a 2x state champ and a national champion for that matter) But I am not just talking about my son, I am talking about everyone's son that is in the 6&U age group. Why are they segregated? They pay their dues all season long to be able to show other kids in the state what they can do. It's not fair to them. It's like saying they don't matter. Not that I expect you to understand that since you would admit that you don't like to go to watch your kids at practice. I sure hope your kids don't ever get on here and read that you said that.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Mike's Mom] #114727 12/19/07 06:55 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
 Originally Posted By: Mike's Mom
Not that I expect you to understand that since you would admit that you don't like to go to watch your kids at practice. I sure hope your kids don't ever get on here and read that you said that.

You have been doing quite a job of putting words in my mouth....

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Benelli] #114730 12/19/07 07:07 PM
B
Benelli Offline
B
This has gotten WAY off topic and it's partly my fault...I shall bow out.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Benelli] #114737 12/19/07 08:23 PM
T
Talkwrestle Offline
T

Without commenting on the two tourneys, I suggest you also omit (or they be edited) your political commentary from your posts. There are plenty of blogs for your thoughts about President Bush and the date his term ends. I frankly don't think they belong on this wrestling web site.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Talkwrestle] #114738 12/19/07 08:35 PM
G
Grandpa Isenberg
Unregistered
Grandpa Isenberg
Unregistered
G
Big show? 5A state championships are at Hutchinson High School.
The big show is where the big names wrestle.
The Ottawa tournament is not an official state tournament it is were the big names show up and wrestle. This is ottawa's tournament. To ask them to stop haveing their tournament so someone else can have a tournament on that week-end is not the way business is done. If your Mcdonalds you dont't ask Burgerking to let them have your corner of the market. I believe some of the topeka people feel that they for some reason have better options. It is a free market and when you try to munipulate the market it becomes a mafia.
A

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: ] #114739 12/19/07 08:48 PM
M
Mike's Mom Offline
M
Benelli - I used YOUR words, I didn't add any.

As far as Ottawa is concerned, I gave them the respect they deserve for at least doing something for the 6&U age group since the state wouldn't. I just think if we are going to have a State Tournament, then all ages should be able to participate in it. End of discussion.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Benelli] #114741 12/19/07 08:57 PM
J. Dale Offline
First of all, what is ANY club doing with a "state" tournament. It should be handled by "the state". If a club is going to get it what about leaving it with the club that had the guts to start it. Second, I don't think anyone should be throwing the phrase "cash cow" around when our state is sitting on somewhere around 100k dollars. Third, we now have clubs fighting over hosting this? HEY STATE BOARD! WAKE UP! Put in a six and under state. We have somewhere around 2 or 3 times the number of card carrying 6u that we do 16u. And I thought the 6u's were the future of the sport.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: J. Dale] #114745 12/19/07 09:13 PM
M
millspartyof5 Offline
M
Well said J Dale. We are a member of a 100+ member kids club and we have more 6U than any other age!!

Agreed if any club should have it the one that started it should if it changes it needs to be by the state!

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: millspartyof5] #114749 12/19/07 09:42 PM
R
rassler Offline
R
The problem is we don't have a big enough venue to include the 6u kids at the current tournament.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: millspartyof5] #114751 12/19/07 09:48 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
WE are not a member of kansas wrestling anymore but I would just like to comment. We now live in pa again where there is not even an 8 and under state, so this year my 7 year old will be wrestling up to 10 and under to try and make it to state. I have to give some props to kansas for incorporating the 8 and unders but I do believe that the 6 and unders should also get some state recognition. We did attend ottawa last year and while it was very crowded and long it ran very smooth and stuff was very well priced. We also went to 8 and under state in topeka and it was also well run but too pricy. I dont know what the right thing to do is wether to move the 6 and under to topeka at the same time or just to recognize ottawas tourney, but I do know that there should only be 6 and under state. Also be thankful that there is an 8 and under, I wish there was one here.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: rassler] #114752 12/19/07 09:48 PM
J. Dale Offline
So are you saying that even though the 6u numbers are bigger they are not as important as the rest? Even I won't touch that one.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: J. Dale] #114754 12/19/07 10:04 PM
R
rassler Offline
R
I'm not saying that at all, But the older kids are already included in the state tournament so it would not be right to exclude them, Personally I think the 6u season is way too long, the state should sanction a 6u state tournament and hold it the weekend before subdistricts, the only way to include them in the current tournament would be to either exclude an age group or run a three day tournament to include them.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: rassler] #114757 12/19/07 10:16 PM
J. Dale Offline
I don't see it that way at all. First we are already there for weigh-ins second, if the 6u season truly is to long then how do you explain all the 6u's entered in 8u at subs. Also I thought when you build a house you build the foundation first. P.S. if you have qualifiers for the 6u you don't have 32 or 64 man brackets.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: J. Dale] #114760 12/19/07 10:17 PM
J. Dale Offline
Sorry, but if the season is to long that should be the parents decision.

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: J. Dale] #114761 12/19/07 10:23 PM
R
rassler Offline
R
Maybe thats the problem with 3/4 of the 6u quitting by the time they are 16. I have been coaching for 12 years now and by the middle of february 90% of the 6u are tired of wrestling and in a lkot of cases it's the parents that coerce them into continuing. Practice 2 hours a day 3 days a week from december to march is a lot to ask of 4,5,and 6 year olds

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: Benelli] #114762 12/19/07 10:48 PM
J. Dale Offline
If you have the luxury of 2 hour practices with 6 year olds then you are doing a ton better than about 95% of the rest of us

Re: 6-under State tournaments [Re: J. Dale] #114763 12/19/07 11:33 PM
R
rassler Offline
R
Dale how long have you been involved with kids wrestling, I'd be willing to bet you have a 6u wrestling and have been at it a year or two. Go ahead let your kid wrestle every weekend, why not get them in freestyle too that way the season will last until june. And when your kid wants to quit at 12 you'll have noone to blame but yourself. I'm glad my son is done with kids after this season he will be too old next year. I'm tired of dealing with parents who think they have a 6u olympic champion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 213 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,969
Posts250,407
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)